Which Linux OS

We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?

Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?

Thanx,

Gerald S. wrote:

> We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>
> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
>
> Thanx,

I've found Debian works well for testing, esp. considering that it's for
testing, and not production (no support).
0
bricklen-rem (111)
5/11/2004 8:42:29 PM
Bricklen wrote:

> Gerald S. wrote:
>
>> We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>>
>> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my
>> eval,
>> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
>>
>> Thanx,
>>

> I've found Debian works well for testing, esp. considering that it's for
> testing, and not production (no support).

Bricklen, if you've got any tips for installing onto Debian, I'd love to
hear them. (Actually, I'd quite like a CD set of Debian, too, while
you're at it!!).

Best Regards
HJR
0
hjr (2065)
5/11/2004 9:32:37 PM
On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:23:44 +0000, Gerald S. banged his/her head on the keyboard and created this message for all mankind/womankind:

> We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>
> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
>
> Thanx,

My installation of 9iR2 on RH8/Crappy-old box was effortless.

0
rchin1 (18)
5/11/2004 9:50:10 PM
"Gerald S." <gerald.stephens@NO-SPAM.sympatico.ca> writes:

> We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>
> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?

I had absoluetly no problems installing 10g on Fedora Core 1. I
imagine it installs just as well on Mandrake or Whitebox as well.

Whitebox is the free (as in beer and speech) version of RHE AS 3

cheers

Phil
0
phil1 (26)
5/11/2004 10:23:37 PM
Gerald S. wrote:

> We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>
> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
>
> Thanx,

RedHat 9 (as of today, officially end-of-life) quite nicely supports
Oracle9i.  In fact, Howard has a wonderful paper describing the install and
the gotchas at http://www.dizwell.com

SuSE 8.2 does as well.  At http://www.suse.com, under the Commercial,
Software Certifications, they have an extensive set of documents describing
the install process.

After learning on any "free" distro, if you want something that Oracle will
officially support, you need to go RedHat AS (or the MUCH less expensive
ES) or UnitedLinux 1.0 with SP3 such as SuSE Enterprise 8 (or the MUCH less
expensive SuSE Standard 8).

(My personal preference is SuSE Std 8 and other SuSE products although I
have had quite satisfactory installations using RedHat.)

Regardless of OS (even Windows) I recommend looking at Howard's document as
he provides additional hints and relevant descriptions and screen shots.

HTH
/Hans
0
forbrich (429)
5/11/2004 10:28:10 PM
Gerald S. wrote:

> We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>
> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
>
> Thanx,

RedHat because ...

1. They are not part of United so are not party to the current SCO
    lawsuit.

2. Full Oracle support.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan@x.washington.edu

0
Daniel
5/12/2004 6:42:12 AM
Phil Britton <phil@phil-britton.com> wrote in message news:<m3y8ny61sm.fsf@lump.ukfsn.org>...
> "Gerald S." <gerald.stephens@NO-SPAM.sympatico.ca> writes:
>
> > We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
> >
> > Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> > or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
> >

> I had absoluetly no problems installing 10g on Fedora Core 1. I
> imagine it installs just as well on Mandrake or Whitebox as well.

I think you can install 10G on almost everything with a penguin
inside. However, I was very unsuccesfull (and disappointed) while
trying to install Oracle 9i (9.2) with the RAC option on Fedora Core
1.

--
Dusan Bolek

Email: spambin@seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email is going to
be burnt as a SPAM.
0
pagesflames (197)
5/12/2004 8:58:56 AM
Gerald S. wrote:
> We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>
> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
>
> Thanx,

I've done 8.1.7 on RH 7.3 and SuSE 7.3, and 9.2.0 on RH9 and SuSE 7.3
and 9.0 pro. Both distros installed oracle nicely, with the SuSE getting
a slight nod for having a lot of the legwork aready done insofar as
oracle user and group already set up and the slick orarun.rpm's

Having said that 9.2 runs nicely on my RH 9 box, whereas the SuSE 9 box
seems to freeze inexplicably while I have Oracle running on it, an issue
that I unforunatly haven't had time to delve into to yet...

> Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?

For development/eval where no support is needed then either RedHat 7.3 or Whitebox (7.3 presuming on private LAN etc)

For production i prefer RedHat Enterprise 3.0 - Been slowly migrating from Sun and not looked back, although to be fair we are
generally an Intel shop so that last comment can be thrown out

tom

0
tomNOSPAM1 (107)
5/12/2004 3:49:20 PM
Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist@no_spam_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<IWqoc.2295$j6.1195@edtnps84>...
> Gerald S. wrote:
> > We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
> >
> > Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
> > or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
> >
> > Thanx,
> >

> I've done 8.1.7 on RH 7.3 and SuSE 7.3, and 9.2.0 on RH9 and SuSE 7.3
> and 9.0 pro. Both distros installed oracle nicely, with the SuSE getting
> a slight nod for having a lot of the legwork aready done insofar as
> oracle user and group already set up and the slick orarun.rpm's
>
> Having said that 9.2 runs nicely on my RH 9 box, whereas the SuSE 9 box
> seems to freeze inexplicably while I have Oracle running on it, an issue
> that I unforunatly haven't had time to delve into to yet...

I've seen boxes intermittently freeze due to those removeable disk
drive bays getting old.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
From #2 computer manufacturer to complete outsourcing and fighting
Daniel Morgan wrote:

> RedHat because ...
>
> 1. They are not part of United so are not party to the current SCO
> lawsuit.

????? I do not understand this comment at all.

As far as I can tell, even though SuSE is part of UnitedLinux, from what I
can tell SCO has NOT gone after SuSE but they HAVE gone after Red Hat.

And all comments coming from Novell (which now owns SuSE - so it is a sub of
an American company) indicatre they are as disgusted about SCO's antics as
the rest of us.

> 2. Full Oracle support.

Available to SuSE SLES 8.  I use it myself as I have standardized on SuSE.

/Hans
0
forbrich (429)
5/12/2004 11:32:16 PM
Hi Daniel

> RedHat because ...
>
> 1. They are not part of United so are not party to the current SCO
>     lawsuit.

United is dead! Oracle no more support it with 10g. SuSE, of course,
is supported.

> 2. Full Oracle support.

In the last couple of year I'm working with SuSE and opened lots of
TARs. Never had problem to get support from Oracle.

Chris
I have downloaded Redhat 9.0 , and am installing on a 18GB Harddrive.
Based on the databases on the AIX server, I need about 6 GB (/db) to store
the database files.
Can somebody recommend a partiton scheme?

christian.antognini@trivadis.com (Chris) wrote in message news:<c283720b.0405122334.307139b4@posting.google.com>...
> Hi Daniel
>
> > RedHat because ...
> >
> > 1. They are not part of United so are not party to the current SCO
> >     lawsuit.
>
> United is dead! Oracle no more support it with 10g. SuSE, of course,
> is supported.
>
> > 2. Full Oracle support.
>
> In the last couple of year I'm working with SuSE and opened lots of
> TARs. Never had problem to get support from Oracle.
>
> Chris

Chris,

Anything in particular to watch out for?

Pd
0
drak0nian (276)
5/13/2004 4:10:41 PM
Hi Paul

> Anything in particular to watch out for?

Just use a supported version, i.e. the for SuSE the Enterprise Server.
The same is true for RedHat as well...

Chris
Gerald S. wrote:

> I have downloaded Redhat 9.0 , and am installing on a 18GB Harddrive.
> Based on the databases on the AIX server, I need about 6 GB (/db) to store
> the database files.
> Can somebody recommend a partiton scheme?
> "Gerald S." <gerald.stephens@NO-SPAM.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>
>>We would like to do some initial investigation of Oracle on Linux?
>>
>>Is there is a Free / low cost version of Linux that I can use for my eval,
>>or must I purchase the Redhat Enterprise AS?
>>
>>Thanx,

/boot: 100MB
swap: 2GB
/ rest (let it fill up)

Assuming it is just an internal test server.
Otherwise, you perhaps would like sizing control
and separate pertitions for:
/boot (see above)
swap (see above)
/usr (4GB)
/home (512M)
/var (512M)
/  (4GB)
/oracle (or /db - what you like: the rest, approx 10GB)

Problem with the lower is, once it's full, it's full.
That's also the (security) advantage...
(add /chroot, etc, etc)

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

0
fvanbortel (757)
5/14/2004 7:53:05 PM
drak0nian@yahoo.com (Paul Drake) wrote in message news:<1ac7c7b3.0405130810.2c0fb762@posting.google.com>...
> christian.antognini@trivadis.com (Chris) wrote in message news:<c283720b.0405122334.307139b4@posting.google.com>...
> > Hi Daniel
> >
> > > RedHat because ...
> > >
> > > 1. They are not part of United so are not party to the current SCO
> > >     lawsuit.
> >
> > United is dead! Oracle no more support it with 10g. SuSE, of course,
> > is supported.
> >
> > > 2. Full Oracle support.
> >
> > In the last couple of year I'm working with SuSE and opened lots of
> > TARs. Never had problem to get support from Oracle.
> >
> > Chris
>
> Chris,
>
> Anything in particular to watch out for?
>
> Pd

Here's some interesting info and links:

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=260152.1

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"I installed RAC about 800 times - and that was just the first

[News] Servers Running GNU/Linux Could Get Boost from Oracle, OS X Server Disappoints

Oracle on OS X (not OS X server)
Hi. I've downloaded the Oracle developer edition for OS X, but the requirements state OS X server. Is this really the case - has anyone successfully got it running on just a standard OS X install? I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't seem to find the right Google strings. Tried in comp.sys.mac.databases, but the group seems to be dead apart from the odd 4D question. Cheers, Ian I've installed it on vanilla standard Mac OS X 10.2.6 on my iBook and it works fine. (Apologies if duplicate message) Ian McCall wrote: > Hi. > > I've downloaded the Oracle developer edition for OS X, but the requirements > state OS X server. Is this really the case - has anyone successfully got it > running on just a standard OS X install? > > I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I can't seem to find the > right Google strings. Tried in comp.sys.mac.databases, but the group seems > to be dead apart from the odd 4D question. > > Cheers, > Ian > > ...

Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server
Hi, Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. Thank you RA On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > Thank you > RA Wow you must have missed all the good spots. Try Jeffery Hunters site over at http://www.idevelopment.info or Howard Rogers site at http://www.dizwell.com/prod Be prepared to take their recommendations and follow their documentation exactly. Jeffrey has a nice article on a complete 2 node install of RAC using vmware ... think he uses a clone of red hat in the article. On 30 mayo, 00:24, hpuxrac <johnbhur...@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > On May 29, 5:54 pm, RA <ang...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi, > > > Does any one have the install doc for Oracle Database 10g R2 RAC > > Installation On Red Hat Linux Using VMware Server. I googled, I > > searched on OTN and also searched on Metalink but no luck. > > > Thank you > > RA > > Wow you must have missed all the good spots. > > Try Jeffery Hunters site over athttp://www.idevelopment.infoor > Howard Rogers site athttp://www.dizwell.com/prod > > Be prepare...

Does Oracle 9i for OS X require OS X Server ?
Does Oracle (either 9 or 10 i) run on Tiger, or is OS X Server required? Thanks. In article <1127795452.653050.147170@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com wrote: > Does Oracle (either 9 or 10 i) run on Tiger, or is OS X Server > required? > > Thanks. VersionTracker has this: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15931 -- DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee... In article <1127795452.653050.147170@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, gimme_this_gimme_that@yahoo.com wrote: > Does Oracle (either 9 or 10 ...

Oracle databases on a server

database-server on linux
hi group, can anyone give a suggestion which software to deploy for a DICOM database-server based on linux? CTN seems alright, but the README warns its beta-software. DCMTK on the other hand is so badly documented that i put it away immediately. i would be grateful if somebody could give me a hint/url/etc. thanks in advance markus > can anyone give a suggestion which software to deploy for a DICOM > database-server based on linux? CTN seems alright, but the README > warns its beta-software. DCMTK on the other hand is so badly > documented that i put it away immediately. i would be grateful if > somebody could give me a hint/url/etc. If you are dealing with linux, I do not believe you are going to find a ready made solution for free. None of the freely availiable toolkits, that have CTN (like) applications, seem to have been developed for long term storage. Most were developed with rather small research projects or other small uses in mind, not an actual archive. I could be wrong, this is just the way it appears to me. There are several options out there, including Dcm4che which I would not recommend in its present state, but I don't feel like you are going to find a ready made solution without shelling out either time or cash. If you are just looking for something short term, get DCMTK's imagectn working. It has a very simple config file and is very very fast with small archives. The toolkit from Mallinckrodt is...

SqlSpec

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331432527)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331432527) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/p...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45330557606)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45330557606) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/p...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332032407)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332032407) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/p...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332032407)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332032407) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/problem solving skills MCSE, CNE or RHCE certifcations Scope: The selected candidate will be responsible for executing tests for server, storage, and networking products. Candidate may research technology & create new tests. As a representative of the test group and part of the cross-functional development team, the individual will be responsible for performing test activities for assigned projects, providing test status, providing detailed test reports, assisting engineers in fault isolation and resolution. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45332032407. ...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331414406)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331414406) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/p...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332657608)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332657608) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/problem solving...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332057607)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332057607) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/p...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45330514401)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45330514401) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/p...

[...]

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331157603)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331157603) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/problem solving skills MCSE, CNE or RHCE certifcations Scope: The selected candidate will be responsible for executing tests for server, storage, and networking products. Candidate may research technology & create new tests. As a representative of the test group and part of the cross-functional development team, the individual will be responsible for performing test activities for assigned projects, providing test status, providing detailed test reports, assisting engineers in fault isolation and resolution. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45331157603. ...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331714406)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45331714406) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/p...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332314404)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332314404) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/p...

US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332332402)
US-TX-Round Rock: Test Technician, Linux or Netware, Server OS, Server HW; (45332332402) ======================================================================================== Position: Test Technician Reference: SMC01670 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: Skills: Linux or Netware experience Server, storage and netwrok technologies exp. Exp with installation and configuration of server OS's. RAID Basic understanding of server hardware. OS expertise. Strong troubleshooting/p...

Web resources about - Which Linux OS - comp.databases.oracle.server

Scott Baio Officially Backed Donald Trump And The Twittersphere Lost Its Mind
Former Happy Days star Scott Baio officially announced his support for Republican candidate Donald Trump on Saturday during an interview on Justice ...

Trump: ‘No Tougher Gun Laws Than Paris, France’
(Screen Capture) (CNSNews.com) - At a rally in Fountain Hills, Ariz., today, businessman Donald Trump said that Second Amendment must be protected ...

‘Hurricane Force Winds’ Likely Cause Of Fatal ‘FlyDubai’ Plane Crash In Southern Russia
Hurricane force winds may have caused Saturday’s tragic FlyDubai plane crash according to Russian authorities. The Boeing 737-800 was en route ...

Will Gawker survive the Hulk Hogan verdict?
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (CNNMoney) — When a Florida jury awarded $115 million to Hulk Hogan, Gawker Media’s head honcho signaled that he had ...

Kasich says no to being a running mate on Republican ticket
WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican presidential candidate John Kasich is taking himself out of the running for running mate.

Cuba casts aside rancor to welcome Obama on historic visit
By Nelson Acosta HAVANA (Reuters) - President Barack Obama arrives in Cuba on Sunday for a 48-hour visit, making history by venturing into what ...

The pope is way more popular than you on Instagram
VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis is expanding his presence on social media with an Instagram account. The pontiff, who has more than 26 million followers ...

Medical examiner: Katy teen died from multiple gunshot wounds - abc13.com
Authorities say they have identified the body found in west Houston earlier this week as missing Katy teenager Adriana Coronado.

Indiana And Kentucky Lived Up To Every Bit Of The Hype
Indiana beat Kentucky 73-67 in the second round of the 2016 NCAA Tournament Saturday, but there might as well have been a trip to the Final Four ...

School bus carrying Griffith, Ind., basketball team overturns
A school bus carrying members of the Griffith, Ind., boys basketball team overturned on I-65 near Demotte, Ind., in Jasper County Saturday afternoon. ...