Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?

Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3
disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less
disk spaces.
Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle
on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i
in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g
users?

Please advise. Thanks!!
0
jrefactors (362)

"Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3
> disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less
> disk spaces.
> Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle
> on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i
> in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g
> users?
>
> Please advise. Thanks!!
They refactored it and made it a lot more efficient and smaller.
Jim

Matt wrote:

> Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3
> disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less
> disk spaces.
> Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle
> on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i
> in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g
> users?
>
> Please advise. Thanks!!

Actually, to get the same set of options and add-ons you still end up with 3
disks (or more) although only the DB disk seems totally filled.  For
example, what is now the "Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control" on a
separate disk is effectively the same (in concept) as the Oracle Management
Server and related pieces in 9i which was part of the 9i 3-disk set.

They repackaged it so you could get away with 1 disk for a base install.  I
suspect they may have found some redundant files during the repackaging as
well.

I know around here people were complaining about how many disks it takes to
install Oracle.  Now (thanks to the whiners?) it takes fewer disk for each
of a lot more different installs.   Win some, lose some?   All I know is
that the onus is now on us to remember to start each of those installs from
a different source.

However, the change in disk layout and packaging is as nothing compared to
the significant improvements in technology.  For that, I refer you to the
documentation, especially the Concepts and the New Features manuals which
detail the answers to the next logical set of questions.

/Hans
0
News.Hans (974)
11/15/2004 4:21:36 AM
"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily@attbi.net> wrote in message news:<hAVld.40974$5K2.16424@attbi_s03>...

> They refactored it and made it a lot more efficient and smaller.

either that or they learned how to compress their distro...
0
wizofoz2k (1386)
11/15/2004 9:07:39 AM
so what is g stands for? Grid?
0
jrefactors (362)
11/15/2004 5:30:07 PM
> so what is g stands for? Grid?

yup

0
Dave
11/15/2004 6:44:23 PM
Matt wrote:
> so what is g stands for? Grid?

Yup. And potentially beating you to your next question:
http://www.dizwell.com/html/what_is_the_grid_.html

Regards
HJR
0
hjr (2065)
11/15/2004 7:32:20 PM
On 14 Nov 2004 19:12:55 -0800, Matt wrote:

> Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3
> disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less
> disk spaces.
> Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle
> on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i
> in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g
> users?
>
> Please advise. Thanks!!

They only put the 1's on the disk and left off the 0's. Also, even though
0's were nothing, they were wider than the 1's and therefore took up more
space.
0
bdick (64)
11/16/2004 7:59:46 PM
Brian Dick <bdick@cox.net> wrote in message news:<kph48bk7nolx$.1dyli46ofitkf.dlg@40tude.net>...
> They only put the 1's on the disk and left off the 0's. Also, even though
> 0's were nothing, they were wider than the 1's and therefore took up more
> space.

Now, THAT is compression!
0
wizofoz2k (1386)
11/17/2004 1:37:40 AM
On 16 Nov 2004 17:37:40 -0800, wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au (Noons) wrote:

>Brian Dick <bdick@cox.net> wrote in message news:<kph48bk7nolx$.1dyli46ofitkf.dlg@40tude.net>...
>> They only put the 1's on the disk and left off the 0's. Also, even though
>> 0's were nothing, they were wider than the 1's and therefore took up more
>> space.
>
>Now, THAT is compression!

Of course, now you have to buy the supplementary zero kit.  It's
included in the Enterprise Edition license, but is an extra cost item
for Standard Edition licensees.

And Patch #73.b  is required to fix the routine that merges the zeros
back in to the installed binaries.
0
nospam3370 (313)
11/17/2004 1:31:14 PM
Ed Stevens wrote:
> On 16 Nov 2004 17:37:40 -0800, wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au (Noons) wrote:
>
>>Brian Dick <bdick@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> They only put the 1's on the disk and left off the 0's. Also, even
> though
>>> 0's were nothing, they were wider than the 1's and therefore took
> up more
>>> space.
>>
>>Now, THAT is compression!
>
> Of course, now you have to buy the supplementary zero kit.  It's
> included in the Enterprise Edition license, but is an extra cost item
> for Standard Edition licensees.
>
> And Patch #73.b  is required to fix the routine that merges the zeros
> back in to the installed binaries.

In fact the first patch set for 10g on Solaris is 648MB in Size (IIRC).
Maybe that's the other half of the software. :-)

--
Lothar Armbr�ster       | la@oktagramm.de
Hauptstr. 26            | la@heptagramm.de
Ed Stevens wrote:

> On 16 Nov 2004 17:37:40 -0800, wizofoz2k@yahoo.com.au (Noons) wrote:
>

>>Brian Dick <bdick@cox.net> wrote in message news:<kph48bk7nolx$.1dyli46ofitkf.dlg@40tude.net>...
>>
>>>They only put the 1's on the disk and left off the 0's. Also, even though
>>>0's were nothing, they were wider than the 1's and therefore took up more
>>>space.
>>
>>Now, THAT is compression!
>

> Of course, now you have to buy the supplementary zero kit.  It's
> included in the Enterprise Edition license, but is an extra cost item
> for Standard Edition licensees.
>
> And Patch #73.b  is required to fix the routine that merges the zeros
> back in to the installed binaries.

Unless you have this special release, that has the 1's flipped on the
side, and stuck throught the 0's; same amount of compression, but
all the data - just ask Metalink about 10gs.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel
Matt wrote:
> so what is g stands for? Grid?
stands for GREED ;)
you want next disk ? pay up you basta !
0
rchin5313 (37)

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is making very straight forward OCI calls, and we are not using any of the newer OCI calls that were introduced in 10g, just the ones that are available in 9i OCI. Thanks in advance, Nick On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:32 -0700, "Nicholas Palmer" <nick@kcicorp.com> wrote: >Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the >Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. >The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native >OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. >Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything >wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was >but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client >communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our applica...

Can you import an Oracle 10G database into a 9I database
Good afternoon, I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Chris Boerman cboerman@comcast.net schreef: > Good afternoon, > > I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into > an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? > > Thanks, > Chris Boerman > Of course. It's called downgrading. Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: 1) skillful 2) lucky You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. Ever read the "New Features since 9i" chapters on 10G? Why do you think these are called "new"? So, export, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. Import, using the 9i tool - if you're lucky, that works. -- Regards, Frank van Bortel Top-posting is one way to shut me up... On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:27:32 +0200, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel@gmail.com> wrote: >cboerman@comcast.net schreef: >> Good afternoon, >> >> I am curious if it is possible to import an Oracle 10g database into >> an oracle 9i instance. Any suggestions/thoughts? >> >> Thanks, >> Chris Boerman >> > >Of course. It's called downgrading. > >Or, if you do not want to downgrade, only if you're: >1) skillful >2) lucky > >You must be lucky, or I would not be answering this. >Ever read the "New Features since 9i"...

Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hai ALL, I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle 10g? Regards Karthick T.S. "T.S. Karthick" <tskarthick@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114431653.917702.172310@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hai ALL, > > I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable > and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle > 10g? > > Regards > Karthick T.S. > Seems to me they are bored and made it breakable again. My database crashes when i start export with datapump (on Linux). breakable: http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/alerts.htm New features guide: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10750/toc.htm T.S. Karthick wrote: > Hai ALL, > > I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable > and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle > 10g? > > Regards > Karthick T.S. ASM ADDM ASH Virtual Indexes ORA_ROWSCN DBMS_WARNING UTL_MAIL .... does anyone need more reasons? There are at least 1000 more. -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond) ...

Free Ebook Oracle Database & Oracle 9i
Free Ebook Oracle Database Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book http://www.downloadfreepdf.com On Mar 24, 6:53 am, "steveo" <selectcm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Free Ebook Oracle Database > > Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book > > http://www.downloadfreepdf.com It's all free over at http://tahiti.oracle.com also ...

[Oracle 9i Personal Edition] Start oracle database...
Hi, I've installed the Oracle 9i Personal Edition on my Windows 98 machine. I've choosed to install only the software and to skip the creation of a database during installation procedure. I've restarted the machine and I've made next step to create a database manually (following the "Oracle 9i Administration Guide": 1. I've created a Password File with the command orapwd in the $oracle_home directory The password I've choosed is "secret". 2. I've created an initialization file in the oradata directory with the name init$db_name.ora 3. I connect with the command sqlplus as user "sys/secret as SYSDBA" to launch the command "create database" B U T at this point when i insert a usr/pwd (i have tryed with sys/change_on_install as sysdba, system/manager, sys/secret, scott/tiger, all...) in Windows98 appears a dialog box (the same obtained clicking on the menu voice "Start Oracle database") that ask for a password: not a username/password, only a password. I've inserted the same passed to the orapwd command and all known password but it say that it's incorrect. After this I've disinstalled all and reinstalled responding "yes" when Universal Installer ask to install a database. In this way all run correctly. Probably in Windows98 u have to permit the installation of a db to use oracle. Probably the installation of ...

Rename Oracle Database in Oracle 9i ?, Has anyone tried to do that so far
Hello Everyone, I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. Your response will be appreciated. Thanks, Sanjoy rath. "Sanjoy Rath" <sanjoy_rath@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d2a7db61.0404090738.6a3aff5a@posting.google.com... > Hello Everyone, > > I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. > Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. > > Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. > > Your response will be appreciated. > > Thanks, > Sanjoy rath. look it up on metlaink "DJ" <nospamplease@goaway.com> wrote in message news:dBzdc.87$e32.40@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net... > > "Sanjoy Rath" <sanjoy_rath@yahoo.com> wrote in message > news:d2a7db61.0404090738.6a3aff5a@posting.google.com... > > Hello Everyone, > > > > I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. > > Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. > > > > Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. > > > > Your response will be appreciated. > > > > Thanks, > > Sanjoy rath. > > look it up on metlaink > > and dont cross post to every single group you can find - very annoying > Oracle 9i ...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are > on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out > the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 > live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is > inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update > rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How > to ensure that these select/update does not fail. > > Kishan Thakker How much data? Which version of 9i? Which version of 8? How much downtime is possible? -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org ...

Installing oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server
Hi All, Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 server? Thanks Ed Ed <arub11@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > Most definitely in seperate directory trees On Jul 26, 11:33=A0am, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:61dc863c-fde2-426b-adc7-c77de59a1703 > @n33g2000pri.googlegroups.com: > > > Hi All, > > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > > server? > > Most definitely in seperate directory trees With different oracle users used for installation? Any other info. you may have to keep in mind during the installation of both versions of oracle? On Jul 26, 2:28=A0pm, Ed <aru...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > Is it possible to install oracle 9i and oracle 10g in one solaris 10 > server? > > Thanks > Ed You install them into separate oracle homes. Do the 9i first and patch then 10g and patch is simplest. You should double check 9i I "think" it is supported by oracle for solaris 10. The installer might get a little weird worry about os patches and pre-reqs not sure. The 10g install is pretty clean. You can do both installs using the "same" oracle user and group definitions or you could...

Unable to connect to Oracle 9i database via Oracle 6i Developer
I've successfully installed Oracle 9i Release 9.2.0.1.0 and Oracle Forms Developer and Forms Server 6i (Patch 2) on a stand-alone PC running on Windows XP Pro but cannot connect to my Oracle databases via Developer's various functions -- Graphics Builder, Query Builder, Schema Builder, Procedure Builder, and Translation Builder. As you know, these functions want to connect to a database but I get this error at the Connect screen: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name As info, the user name and password are fine for both Oracle 9i and Developer. Oracle 9i works fine. I can connect to my databases (Demo and OpsData) with no problem in 9i's SQLPlus window. It's the connections via Developer that's the problem. (In case you need to know, Oracle 9i reside in the C:\Oracle\ora92 directory with ora92 as the HOME. Developer 6i resides in the C:\Oracle\ora9i directory with ora9i as its HOME.) The TNSNAMES.ORA file for Oracle 9i reads as follows: # TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools. OPSDATA = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jgyk801)(PORT = 1521)) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = OpsData.jgyk801) ) ) INST1_HTTP = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jgyk801)(PORT = 1521)) ) (CON...

oracle 10g and oracle 9i RMAN
According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then oracle 9i RMAN, because after enable block change tracking... oracle starts recording changes in blocks in a file. But in oracle 9i also oracle record changes in database to REDO LOG files and how is it different. On 10 jul, 12:39, peter <hhh.datab...@gmail.com> wrote: > According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then > oracle 9i RMAN, > because after enable block change tracking... oracle starts recording > changes in blocks in a file. > But in oracle 9i also oracle record changes in database to REDO LOG > files and how is it different. The answer to this question is obvious (as with all of your questions, as you never RTFM and if you RTFM, don't try to *understand* the documentation). The redo log is a *chronological* collection of what Oracle calls change vectors. If you would need to determine which blocks have been changed since last backup, you *obviously* would have to scan through *ALL* redologs since last backup. The block change tracking file is a bitmapped file only stating the fact a specific block has changed. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA On Jul 10, 3:49 pm, sybrandb <sybra...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 10 jul, 12:39, peter <hhh.datab...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then > > oracle 9i RMAN, > > because after enable block change tracking......

Install Oracle 9i after Oracle 10g
I have had to install Oracle 9i on a server (W2K3) that already had Oracle 10g installed. I was planning to use the listener which was created as part of the 10g installation so I did not create a new listener for 9i. I performed a software only installation because the application that I have to install for 9i has scripts to create its own instances. After doing the 9i install, which seemed to go well, I am having the following problem. I cannot start the Database Configuration Assitant or the Net Configuration Assistant. I don't know if this is because the it can't detect the 10g listener or if it is another problem which I haven't discovered yet. Also, when using the Home Selector utility, it tell me that there is only one Oracle home, even though I installed 9i into a new Oracle home. The Universal installer shows two homes, but the registry does not show a Home0 and Home1, only a Home0 pointing to the 9i install. Any know issues with installing 9i AFTER 10g that could be causing these problems? Thank you. RhodeRunner wrote: > I have had to install Oracle 9i on a server (W2K3) that already had > Oracle 10g installed. I was planning to use the listener which was > created as part of the 10g installation so I did not create a new > listener for 9i. > > I performed a software only installation because the application that I > have to install for 9i has scripts to create its own instances. > > After doing the 9i install, wh...

Linking with Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hi, I want to use software built against Oracle 9i on an Oracle 10g database. I am using g++ on Solaris 9 with Oracle 9i to build the code. Doing an ldd shows libclntsh.so.9.0 => /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4/lib32/libclntsh.so.9.0 Is there a way not to have the binary not expect the .so.9.0 i.e. it just accept libclntsh.so. I am soft linking at the moment as workaround i.e. ln -s libclntsh.so.10.2.0 libclntsh.so.9.0 Thanks, Iain Iain William Wiseman <iwiseman@fred.co.nz> wrote: > I want to use software built against Oracle 9i on an Oracle 10g database. > > I am using g++ on Solaris 9 with Oracle 9i to build the code. Doing an > ldd shows > > libclntsh.so.9.0 => /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4/lib32/libclntsh.so.9.0 > > Is there a way not to have the binary not expect the .so.9.0 i.e. it > just accept libclntsh.so. I am soft linking at the moment as workaround > > i.e. ln -s libclntsh.so.10.2.0 libclntsh.so.9.0 That soft link is a very bad idea. There are two good solutions: a) link the software against Oracle 10 b) install an Oracle 9 client. While a) may not always be possible, there's nothing to keep you from b). Yours, Laurenz Albe ...

Oracle 9i client 10g database
Hi, I looked for a thread (and I'd think this would have been a common one), can you connect a 9i sqlnet client to a 10g database? From my 9i client box I keep getting : > sqlplus jstrauss/jstrauss@tsprd SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production on Sun Apr 11 23:15:33 2004 (c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. ERROR: ORA-12541: TNS:no listener Whereas the same thing works on the 10g box ~$ sqlplus jstrauss/jstrauss@tsprd SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Sun Apr 11 23:15:37 2004 Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved. Connected to: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options SQL> Thanks Jay Jay wrote: > Hi, > > I looked for a thread (and I'd think this would have been a common one), can > you connect a 9i sqlnet client to a 10g database? > > From my 9i client box I keep getting : > > >>sqlplus jstrauss/jstrauss@tsprd > > > SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production on Sun Apr 11 23:15:33 2004 > > (c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. > > ERROR: > ORA-12541: TNS:no listener > > Whereas the same thing works on the 10g box > > ~$ sqlplus jstrauss/jstrauss@tsprd > > SQL*Plus: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on Sun Apr 11 23:15:37 2004 > > Copyright (c) 1982, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved. > > > Con...

Bring over Oracle 9i db to Oracle 10g
Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade this db to Oracle 10g. Can someone point me in the right direction? "William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill@bellsouth.net> wrote in news:RZ60d.82660$N11.77025@bignews5.bellsouth.net: > Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade > this db to Oracle 10g. Can someone point me in the right direction? > > > http://otn.oracle.com http://tahiti.oracle.com Hi Ana: By the time I go thru both of those websites that you gave me, Oracle will be out with v.11 - spent a half hour looking for some instruction or article that would help me. Am not a DBA, so the answer might be staring me in the face, and I wouldn't recognize it. Just want to be able to use my old Oracle 9i db in Oracle10g. "Ana C. Dent" <anacedent@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Xns955FBFA0ADB5BSunnySD@68.6.19.6... > "William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill@bellsouth.net> wrote in > news:RZ60d.82660$N11.77025@bignews5.bellsouth.net: > >> Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade >> this db to Oracle 10g. Can someone point me in the right direction? >> >> >> > > http://otn.oracle.com > http://tahiti.oracle.com William F. O'Neill wrote: > Hi Ana: > > By the time I go thru both of those websites that you gave me,...

How to make a dump for Oracle 9i with Oracle 10g
Hello, is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? Thank you, Norbert On Mar 31, 10:10=A0am, Norbert P=FCrringer <thalio...@graffiti.net> wrote: > Hello, > > is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in > order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? > > Thank you, > Norbert Yes, and that's been covered any number of times in this newsgroup, on the web and in the Oracle documentation. I suggest you search the newsgroup archives, learn to use google or visit the documentation found here: http://tahiti.oracle.com David Fitzjarrell On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:10:48 -0700 (PDT), Norbert P�rringer <thalion77@graffiti.net> wrote: >Hello, > >is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in >order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? > >Thank you, >Norbert This is a FAQ which should be prevented by searching the Internet. Usually only people in the Eastern Hemisphere are too lazy to do that, but I see the virus is spreading. You need the 9i exp to run against the 10g database. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA ...

Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases
I am proud to be able to tell that finally my book "Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases" is released. The book tries to fill the gap between the oracle manuals and the real world by providing real explanations and examples. see <http://www.packtpub.com/mastering-oracle-scheduler-in-oracle-11g- databases> for a detailed description of the book. Ronald. ...

Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases
I am proud to be able to tell that finally my book "Mastering Oracle Scheduler in Oracle 11g Databases" is released. The book tries to fill the gap between the oracle manuals and the real world by providing real explanations and examples. see <http://www.packtpub.com/mastering-oracle-scheduler-in-oracle-11g- databases> for a detailed description of the book. Ronald. ...

Technical differences Oracle 9i vs. Oracle 10g
Completing a brief study for our systems. What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is there a list some out there somewhere? Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and communicate? Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i? Bob wrote: > Completing a brief study for our systems. > > What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is > there a list some out there somewhere? http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm > > Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? Sure. They can also coexist on the same network with 8i, 8, 7.x, 6.x, 5.x, MS-SQL, UDB, MS-Access, B-Trieve, MySQL, Word Perfect, Lotus Notes, IIS, Photo Shop, ..... (see a principle developing here?) >and communicate? with each other? Yes. I've never known two 'adjacent versions' of Oracle not be able to communicate with each other. > > Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i? MetaLink --> Certify --> Desupport Notices > What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is > there a list some out there somewhere? The following document lists the new features in 10g that are not available in 9i: http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm > Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and > communicate? Yes. They can even coexist on the same server....

Web resources about - Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i? - comp.databases.oracle.server