Unable to connect to Oracle 9i database via Oracle 6i Developer

I've successfully installed Oracle 9i Release 9.2.0.1.0 and Oracle
Forms Developer and Forms Server 6i (Patch 2) on a stand-alone PC
running on Windows XP Pro but cannot connect to my Oracle databases via
Developer's various functions -- Graphics Builder, Query Builder,
Schema Builder, Procedure Builder, and Translation Builder.  As you
know, these functions want to connect to a database but I get this
error at the Connect screen:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

As info, the user name and password are fine for both Oracle 9i and
Developer.  Oracle 9i works fine. I can connect to my databases (Demo
and OpsData) with no problem in 9i's SQLPlus window.  It's the
connections via Developer that's the problem.   (In case you need to
know, Oracle 9i reside in the C:\Oracle\ora92 directory with ora92 as
the HOME.  Developer 6i resides in the  C:\Oracle\ora9i directory with
ora9i as its HOME.)

The TNSNAMES.ORA file for Oracle 9i reads as follows:
# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File:
C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

OPSDATA =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jgyk801)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = OpsData.jgyk801)
    )
  )

INST1_HTTP =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jgyk801)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = SHARED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = MODOSE)
      (PRESENTATION = http://HRService)
    )
  )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC0))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = PLSExtProc)
      (PRESENTATION = RO)
    )
  )

DEMO =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = jgyk801)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = demo.jgyk801)
    )
  )

I understand this file OK, as I can see the parameters I supplied
during installation.  (Yes, jgyk801 is my computer's name.)

The TNSNAMES.ORA file for Developer 6i reads as follows:

Beq-local.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = beq.world)
          (PROTOCOL = BEQ)
          (PROGRAM = oracle73)
          (ARGV0 = oracle73ORCL)
          (ARGS = '(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')
        )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )
Tcp-loopback.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = 127.0.0.1)
          (Port = 1521)
        )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )
Example1.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = Production1)
          (Port = 1521)
        )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = SID1)
    )
  )
Example2.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = spx.world)
          (PROTOCOL = SPX)
          (Service = Server_lsnr)
        )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )
Example3.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = nmp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = NMP)
          (Server = FinanceServer1)
          (Pipe = ORAPIPE)
        )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )

I don't understand this file at all as I don't recall supplying any of
these parameters during the installation.

Have I install the wrong Developer product?   Is there a solution short
of uninstalling both applications and installing release 10g for both?
On a hunch, I saw a similar proble with Oracle 10g and tried copying
both the Oracle  9i TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA to the Developer
...\Net80\ADMIN directory, but I got another error

ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol error.

As you can tell I'm very new to Oracle applications and may not
understand your answer if you respond in a way that assumes anything
but shear novice knowledge of the Oracle configuration process.

0
Virgil
2/23/2006 3:16:44 AM
comp.databases.oracle.tools 4963 articles. 0 followers. art (172) is leader. Post Follow

On 22 Feb 2006 19:16:44 -0800, "Virgil" <laynevir@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I don't understand this file at all as I don't recall supplying any of
>these parameters during the installation.

You didn't. It comes with the installation.

>Have I install the wrong Developer product?
Not necessarily though Developer 6 is desupported and comes with
sqlnet for 8.0, as it originated in the 8.0 era.

  Is there a solution short
>of uninstalling both applications and installing release 10g for both?

That would be the best solution, but Developer 9i and higher don't
support client server anymore.

>On a hunch, I saw a similar proble with Oracle 10g and tried copying
>both the Oracle  9i TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA to the Developer
>..\Net80\ADMIN directory, but I got another error
>
>ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol error.
>
>As you can tell I'm very new to Oracle applications and may not
>understand your answer if you respond in a way that assumes anything
>but shear novice knowledge of the Oracle configuration process.
You could try to edit the copied tnsnames.ora and replace
connect_data=(service_name=(.....))
by
connect_data=(sid=(<the sid of your database>). If you look up the
Windows service running your database, the sid is the part afer
OracleService. The syntax for the Windows service name is
OracleServic<SID>.
The better solution is to set up the registry string variable
tns_admin in hklm\software\oracle and point that to the 9i
tnsnames.ora directory. You may need to edit the 9i tnsnames.ora

Obviously this is described in the installation manual, and this
solution has been posted over and over and over and over
again. Please try to search Google, prior to posting this yet another
time.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
0
Virgil wrote:
> [...]
>         )
>     )
>     (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
>     )
>   )
>
> I don't understand this file at all as I don't recall supplying any of
> these parameters during the installation.
>
> Have I install the wrong Developer product?   Is there a solution short
> of uninstalling both applications and installing release 10g for both?
> On a hunch, I saw a similar proble with Oracle 10g and tried copying
> both the Oracle  9i TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA to the Developer
> ..\Net80\ADMIN directory, but I got another error
>
> ORA-03106: fatal two-task communication protocol error.
>
> As you can tell I'm very new to Oracle applications and may not
> understand your answer if you respond in a way that assumes anything
> but shear novice knowledge of the Oracle configuration process.

Try removing the tnsnames.ora file for the oracle forms 6i (save first
somewhere) and copying tthe tnsnames.ora from the 9l installation in its
place. Also you can delete the tnsnames.ora from the oracle forms (save
first somewhere)create an system environment variable named tns_admin
and set to the directory where the tnsnames.ora for the Oracle 9i
installation resides.
0
rangoon