Bring over Oracle 9i db to Oracle 10g

Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade this
db to Oracle 10g.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

0
William
9/10/2004 12:58:28 AM
comp.databases.oracle 1791 articles. 0 followers. tgugger5 (31) is leader. Post Follow

"William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill@bellsouth.net> wrote in

> Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade
> this db to Oracle 10g.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

http://otn.oracle.com
http://tahiti.oracle.com
0
Ana
9/10/2004 1:50:15 AM
Hi Ana:

By the time I go thru both of those websites that you gave me, Oracle will
be out with v.11 - spent a half hour looking for some instruction or article
that would help me.  Am not a DBA, so the answer might be staring me in the
face, and I wouldn't recognize it.  Just want to be able to use my old
Oracle 9i db in Oracle10g.

"Ana C. Dent" <anacedent@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill@bellsouth.net> wrote in
>
>> Have been using a db in Oracle 9i for sometime and now want to upgrade
>> this db to Oracle 10g.  Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>

> http://otn.oracle.com
> http://tahiti.oracle.com

0
William
9/10/2004 3:29:19 AM
William F. O'Neill wrote:

> Hi Ana:
>
> By the time I go thru both of those websites that you gave me, Oracle will
> be out with v.11 - spent a half hour looking for some instruction or
> article
> that would help me.  Am not a DBA, so the answer might be staring me in
> the
> face, and I wouldn't recognize it.  Just want to be able to use my old
> Oracle 9i db in Oracle10g.

Ana's advice was spot-on.  You need to spend some time getting famliar with
the documentation to get the return for your investment (you, or your
organization, DID pay for the software didn't you???)

However, to reduce the amount of time you will consider wasted - at Tahiti
(http://tahiti.oracle.com), under the Oracle10g area, you will find two
documents that are incredibly important in context of your question.

The two critical manuals are the 'Concepts' manual (which tells you what
thing are new, and how to reduce your admin and maintenance time) and the
'Installation' manual, which has a whole chapter on how to do the upgrade.

Of course, the Upgrade manual will be nearly useless unless you know how to
answer the questions - and those are discussed in the Concepts manual.

0
Hans

Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hai ALL, I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle 10g? Regards Karthick T.S. "T.S. Karthick" <tskarthick@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1114431653.917702.172310@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hai ALL, > > I'm Karthick T.S. Oracle Corp. Already said Oracle 9i is a Unbreakable > and Complete feature of Internet, then why Oracle Corp. Develop Oracle > 10g? > > Regards > Karthick T.S. > Seems to me they are bored and made it breakable aga...

Why the size of Oracle 10g database is much smaller than Oracle 9i?
Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 disks (1.3 GB). I was very surprised why Oracle 10g requires so less disk spaces. Am I missing something? Or this is the improvement from Oracle on disk size? I assume Oracle 10g is much more better than Oracle 9i in terms of technologies and performance. Any comments from Oracle 10g users? Please advise. Thanks!! "Matt" <jrefactors@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ba8a039e.0411141912.71c7d598@posting.google.com... > Oracle 10g only requires 1 disk (604MB); whereas Oracle 9i requires 3 > disks (1.3...

Oracle 10g OCI based application talking to an Oracle 9i database
Hi all, Got a question. I have an OCI C++ application that is written using the Oracle 10g OCI includes, etc ... This of course is running on a 10g client. The client OS is actually a Windows x64 system since 10g is the only native OCI client right now for 64 bit Windows systems. So this all works fine. Now, I am communicating with an Oracle 9i database server. Is there anything wrong or invalid about this configuration ? I didn't think that there was but I was asked to confirm this, that is having an Oracle 10g client communicating with an Oracle 9i database. Our application is ma...

oracle 10g and oracle 9i RMAN
According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then oracle 9i RMAN, because after enable block change tracking... oracle starts recording changes in blocks in a file. But in oracle 9i also oracle record changes in database to REDO LOG files and how is it different. On 10 jul, 12:39, peter <hhh.datab...@gmail.com> wrote: > According to oracle increment backup in oracle 10g RMAN is faster then > oracle 9i RMAN, > because after enable block change tracking... oracle starts recording > changes in blocks in a file. > But in oracle 9i also oracle record chan...

Linking with Oracle 9i and Oracle 10g
Hi, I want to use software built against Oracle 9i on an Oracle 10g database. I am using g++ on Solaris 9 with Oracle 9i to build the code. Doing an ldd shows libclntsh.so.9.0 => /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.4/lib32/libclntsh.so.9.0 Is there a way not to have the binary not expect the .so.9.0 i.e. it just accept libclntsh.so. I am soft linking at the moment as workaround i.e. ln -s libclntsh.so.10.2.0 libclntsh.so.9.0 Thanks, Iain Iain William Wiseman <iwiseman@fred.co.nz> wrote: > I want to use software built against Oracle 9i on an Oracle 10g database. > > I a...

Install Oracle 9i after Oracle 10g
I have had to install Oracle 9i on a server (W2K3) that already had Oracle 10g installed. I was planning to use the listener which was created as part of the 10g installation so I did not create a new listener for 9i. I performed a software only installation because the application that I have to install for 9i has scripts to create its own instances. After doing the 9i install, which seemed to go well, I am having the following problem. I cannot start the Database Configuration Assitant or the Net Configuration Assistant. I don't know if this is because the it can't detect the 10...

I am in the last stages of installing Oracle Server 10gR2 Enterprise Edition on a UNIX AIX server. When window "Execute Configuration Scripts" comes up it tells me to execute "/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/root.sh". The ".../oracle/oracle/..." stops me cold. I look back in my notes and everything I wrote suggests I had entered ".../oracle/product/....." for my ORACLE_HOME. I look at the install log in /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs and see: "INFO: Setting variable 'ORACLE_HOME' to '/u01/app/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/d...

Best Oracle 10G Online Training | Online Oracle 10G Training | Training Oracle 10G Online
Oracle 10G Online Training by Biginfosys, We are one of the finest online t= raining institutes for Oracle 10G course. We are one of the most trusted on= line training institutes among the world. We hire trainers who are most eff= icient in their related field having real time experience of more than 8 ye= ars. Our Oracle 10G trainer's explanation will make the subject easy with t= heir real time experience. We are dedicated in providing Oracle 10G online = training by maintaining Global Standards and according to the trainee requi= rements. Some of SAP Basis topics Covered by ou...

Best Oracle 10G Online Training | Online Oracle 10G Training | Training Oracle 10G Online
Oracle 10G Online Training by Biginfosys, We are one of the finest online t= raining institutes for Oracle 10G course. We are one of the most trusted on= line training institutes among the world. We hire trainers who are most eff= icient in their related field having real time experience of more than 8 ye= ars. Our Oracle 10G trainer's explanation will make the subject easy with t= heir real time experience. We are dedicated in providing Oracle 10G online = training by maintaining Global Standards and according to the trainee requi= rements. Some of SAP Basis topics Covered by ou...

Hi all, I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i client connected to oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) , and I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. Thanks Angel R. wrote: > Hi all, > I have a client/server application that work on the client with oracle 8i > client connected to > oracle 8i server, Im going to upgrade the server to oracle 9i (or oracle10g) > , and > I wonder if the client will work fine without upgrade version. > > Thanks If...

help searching for oracles and Oracles and ORACLES
Hello Mark D Powell, Robert Klemme, Michael O'Shea, David FitzJarrell and thank you for your help before. I have a table called "table2" that has the following in it id1 Description 1 oracle oracle oracle oracle 2 oracle school oracle school school school 6 the school the party the oracle How can I get SQL to get rows with Oracle or oracle (first letter is upcase) or ORACLE My SQL is select * from table2 where description like '%oracle%' or description like '%Oracle' or description like '%ORACLE%' In access '%oracle%' works in upcase or lower case but in Oracle I have to keep testing for all cases. The word might be oRaCLe but I don't want to write them all. How can I do this Thank you Jon Hi Jon, I would suggest the following: select * from table2 where instr(lower(description),'oracle') > 0; lower will make all the characters in the description field lowercase so you only need to test for lower case characters. instr will return > 0 if it finds any occurance of the word 'oracle' Hope this helps, C On Feb 18, 3:44=A0pm, jharbo...@googlemail.com wrote: > Hello Mark D Powell, Robert Klemme, Michael O'Shea, David FitzJarrell > and thank you for your help before. > > I have a table called "table2" that has the following in it > > id1 =A0 =A0 =A0Description > =A01 =A0 =A0...

How to make a dump for Oracle 9i with Oracle 10g
Hello, is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? Thank you, Norbert On Mar 31, 10:10=A0am, Norbert P=FCrringer <thalio...@graffiti.net> wrote: > Hello, > > is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in > order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? > > Thank you, > Norbert Yes, and that's been covered any number of times in this newsgroup, on the web and in the Oracle documentation. I suggest you search the newsgroup archives, learn to use google or visit the documentation found here: http://tahiti.oracle.com David Fitzjarrell On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:10:48 -0700 (PDT), Norbert P�rringer <thalion77@graffiti.net> wrote: >Hello, > >is it possible to create an export dump of a scheme in Oracle 10g in >order to import it into an Oracle 9i database? > >Thank you, >Norbert This is a FAQ which should be prevented by searching the Internet. Usually only people in the Eastern Hemisphere are too lazy to do that, but I see the virus is spreading. You need the 9i exp to run against the 10g database. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA ...

Free Ebook Oracle Database & Oracle 9i
Free Ebook Oracle Database Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book http://www.downloadfreepdf.com On Mar 24, 6:53 am, "steveo" <selectcm...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Free Ebook Oracle Database > > Free Oracle 9i Complete Reference Book > > http://www.downloadfreepdf.com It's all free over at http://tahiti.oracle.com also ...

Web Services Implementation in Oracle 9i and Oracle 10G
I have read several articles on Web Services on TechNet. It is still not clear to me: 1. If I use Oracle9i EE on HP UNIX 11, do I have everything to deploy web services. Many articles on web services mention about Oracle9i AS OC4J containers. Does that mean I need Oracle9i AS (do I need to get a license for it) or OC4J containers can be downloaded (if not already available) with Oracle9i EE. 2. Same question for Oracle 10G, do I need Oracle10gAS for deployment. I know using Oracle Jdeveloper, it is easy to develop web services, but do I need anything from Developer to deploy a web service, ...

[Oracle 9i Personal Edition] Start oracle database...
Hi, I've installed the Oracle 9i Personal Edition on my Windows 98 machine. I've choosed to install only the software and to skip the creation of a database during installation procedure. I've restarted the machine and I've made next step to create a database manually (following the "Oracle 9i Administration Guide": 1. I've created a Password File with the command orapwd in the $oracle_home directory The password I've choosed is "secret". 2. I've created an initialization file in the oradata directory with the name init$db_name.ora 3...

Oracle 8 odbc driver to Oracle 9i db
I'm trying to link tables in MS Access. The ODBC driver is 8.0.5. The database is 9i. I'm timing out. If the issues is that I need a new ODBC driver, what do I need to install from the 9i Client package to make that happen? Thanks, Chris O ...

Technical differences Oracle 9i vs. Oracle 10g
Completing a brief study for our systems. What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is there a list some out there somewhere? Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the same network? and communicate? Does anyone know the Life cycle for Oracle 9i? Bob wrote: > Completing a brief study for our systems. > > What are the technical differences between Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i? Is > there a list some out there somewhere? http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14214/toc.htm > > Can Oracle 10g and Oracle 9i co-exist on the ...

Oracle Developer with Oracle 9i
I have two questions: 1. Does Oracle9i IDS runs with Oracle9i Personal Edition? if so my second question: 2. On my workstation (Win2k P4 with 512MB RAM) i have first installed Oracle9i db (Personal Edition) in oracle_home OraHome92. Thereafter i installed Oracle9iDS Release 2 in a separate oracle home IDSHome. When installing Oracle products i have put IIS in disabled mode. Now when i launch from the menu: Oracle9i Developer Suite -> Reports Developer -> Reports Builder the Oracle9i Reports Developer splash screen launches but remains there without getting the applicat...

US-DC: Washington-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - Oracle 11g... Job Location: DC: Washington Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Pho...

US-VA: McLean-Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Oracle DBA - Oracle Database Administrator - RAC - Oracle Job Location: VA: McLean Pay Rate: competitive Job Length: full time Start Date: 2010-11-19 Company Name: Cybercoders Contact: Shea Stone Phone: ...

Connectivity Between two saperate Database (oracle 8 and oracle 9i)
Dear Sir, We Would like to migrate to oracle 9i from oracle 8. Presently We are on oracle 8 (live) . Can anyone suggest a way by which we can phase out the migration process. We intend to migrate User-wise. We have aprx 10 live users.(e.g. finance, payroll, production etc..). My problem is inter-connectivity between diff. users. like 'Payroll' select/update rows in 'Finance'. If I migrate Finance from oracle 8 to Oracle 9i How to ensure that these select/update does not fail. Kishan Thakker kishanthakker@gmail.com wrote: > Dear Sir, > > We Would lik...

Preferable option for moving data from Oracle 9i into Oracle 10g??
We have a requirement to move to Oracle 10g from Oracle 9i. As I understand, there are 2 options to do it: Option-1) --------- - Execute Oracle 9i->10g upgrade steps. The data which was in Oracle 9i is now available in Oracle 10g database automatically. Option-2) --------- - Export the data contained in Oracle 9i, using Oracle 9i version of 'exp' tool - Clean-up the Oracle 9i database and create a new Oracle 10g database. - Do an import of the previously exported data into new Oracle 10g database, using Oracle 10g version of 'imp' tool. Could anybody tell about i...

Rename Oracle Database in Oracle 9i ?, Has anyone tried to do that so far
Hello Everyone, I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. Oracle 9i uses schema instead of the oracle SID names. Your response will be appreciated. Thanks, Sanjoy rath. "Sanjoy Rath" <sanjoy_rath@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d2a7db61.0404090738.6a3aff5a@posting.google.com... > Hello Everyone, > > I have successfully performed oracle database rename in in oracle 8i. > Does anyone know how to rename a database in oracle 9i release. > > Oracle 9i uses schema inst...

Web resources about - Bring over Oracle 9i db to Oracle 10g - comp.databases.oracle

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

News Oracle
The News Oracle is an online news outlet. The Oracle covers the most relevant stories from around the globe.

Kenshoo, Oracle Social Cloud Announce Integration
... and provider of cloud-based digital marketing solutions and predictive media optimization technology, announced an integration with Oracle Social ...

Contract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381

Oracle Survives Bloodbath, But Morgan Stanley Still Skeptical on Cloud Payoff
Conspicuously less bad today are shares of Oracle ( ORCL ), which is down 85 cents, just 2%, at $35.60, amidst the complete meltdown of its cloud ...

Canonical and Oracle team up to boost enterprise cloud use
Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu Linux, has announced a collaboration with Oracle to make Ubuntu images available on Oracle Cloud. Under ...

The rise of Larry Ellison, the jetsetting billionaire founder of Oracle
Larry Ellison, founder and chairman of international mega-giant Oracle, is one of the most interesting figures in tech. From yacht racing , ...

IDG Contributor Network: Cue the surprise: Oracle suggests Amazon's cloud isn't real
Over at Fortune , Barb Darrow detailed a conversation the magazine had with Oracle's vice president of cloud development, Peter Magnusson . The ...

Moving up weight class, Andre Ward announces March 2016 fight at Oracle
Skip to main content CSN Bay Area Header links TV Listings Contact App Email Follow Bar RSN login or register Login Search form Search 54° Navigation ...