Help needed to connect DB2k on PC to v7.3 on VMS

Hi all!

Sorry guys but I am totally ignorant on oracle matters.
I need some guidance in how and what is needed to connect directly to an
oracle 7.3.2.3.2 database on a OpenVMS operating system with a database
application developed on a Windows XP PC using DB2K.

Network/Database Server Details:
    Server:  Compaq AlphaServer DS10
        O/S:  OpenVMS 7.1
Database:  Oracle 7.3.2.3.2
   Protocol:  TCP/IP (controlled by UCX)

Can I connect using only ODBC drivers?
Do I need an Oracle client on the pc workstation?
Do I need a dedicated DB2K oracle user account (multiple users of DB2K PC
application) or do I need to add an oracle user account for each individual
user?

Any advice or guidance would reduce my trial and error approach as I am
pressed for time and very gratefully appreciated.

Andrew Zac.

0
Andrew
8/20/2005 4:45:45 AM
comp.databases.oracle 1791 articles. 0 followers. tgugger5 (31) is leader. Post Follow

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:15:45 +0930, Andrew interested us by writing:

> Can I connect using only ODBC drivers?

Most ODBC drivers that I've seen still punt the request to an Oracle
networking client.

> Do I need an Oracle client on the pc workstation?

So yes, if you get ODBC drivers that came from Oracle, you still need to
install Oracle's SQL*Net, or Oracle Networking on the client that is
ocmpatible with the version on the OpenVMS.

> Do I need a dedicated DB2K oracle user account (multiple users of DB2K PC
> application) or do I need to add an oracle user account for each individual
> user?

Depends entirely on your business security model, If you want a remote
chance of detecting who accessed the Oracle database, then you probably
want per-individual userids.

Unless you already have the disks, it is likely going to be difficult to
fing the client software that will be compatible with a 7.3.2 version of
the database, since that version has been long desupported.  (I assume you
do not have Oracle Support contract, otherwise you would have upgraded to
at least 7.3.4).  IMO, your best hope is to find the local Oracle User
Groups and ask around there.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com

HansF
8/20/2005 12:39:30 PM
Thanks Hans,

I realise 7.3 is no longer supported and unfortunately I do not have the
disks.  I don't known though if my client has an Oracle Support contract or
the supporting disks. I will have to find out.

Thanks, you have been most helpful.

Regards
Andrew Zac.

"HansF" <News.Hans@telus.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:15:45 +0930, Andrew interested us by writing:
>

>> Can I connect using only ODBC drivers?
>
> Most ODBC drivers that I've seen still punt the request to an Oracle
> networking client.
>
>> Do I need an Oracle client on the pc workstation?
>
> So yes, if you get ODBC drivers that came from Oracle, you still need to
> install Oracle's SQL*Net, or Oracle Networking on the client that is
> ocmpatible with the version on the OpenVMS.
>
>> Do I need a dedicated DB2K oracle user account (multiple users of DB2K PC
>> application) or do I need to add an oracle user account for each
>> individual
>> user?
>
> Depends entirely on your business security model, If you want a remote
> chance of detecting who accessed the Oracle database, then you probably
> want per-individual userids.
>
> Unless you already have the disks, it is likely going to be difficult to
> fing the client software that will be compatible with a 7.3.2 version of
> the database, since that version has been long desupported.  (I assume you
> do not have Oracle Support contract, otherwise you would have upgraded to
> at least 7.3.4).  IMO, your best hope is to find the local Oracle User
> Groups and ask around there.
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich
> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
> *** I no longer assist with top-posted newsgroup queries ***

0
Andrew

Re: Oracle DB connection help needed #3
Dear SAS-L-ers, Steven Xiao posted the following: > With the statement like "libname omdp oracle user=*** > password=*** path='omdp';, I can hook on database "omdp", > then use this libname I can access all kinds of tables in > that database. But for another database "oprp", I can build > up this connection, the error log is following > > In the error records, it shows that OMDP is connected, but > "libname oprp oracle user=*** password=*** path='oprp';" > didn't build up connect for "oprp" not. Th...

help needed how can connect to my oracle database using shell script and how can i assign particular value in table to a variable defined in shellscript
help needed how can connect to my oracle database using shell script and how can i assign particular value in table to a variable defined in shellscript "mahesh" <mahesh2425@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1163830011.873349.304780@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... : help needed how can connect to my oracle database using shell script : and how can i assign particular value in table to a variable defined in : shellscript : Hunt around your oracle installation and you will find tons of shell scripts that will give you all the ideas you need. Dan Mercer ...

which oracle client for aix 5.3 to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5/Win database ?
Hello, i need to access a 8.0.5 database on win2000 from a aix 5.3 system. which client do i need to install on the aix 5.3 machine ? Thank you, Bud On Jan 11, 2:24 pm, "Bud" <tulsa...@gmx.de> wrote: > Hello, > > i need to access a 8.0.5 database on win2000 from a aix 5.3 system. > > which client do i need to install on the aix 5.3 machine ? > > Thank you, > > Bud I don't think there is one. 8.0.5 was desupported in the previous milennium and has never been available for 5.3, which didn't exist at that time. 9i doesn't connect t...

Urgent Help For Database Connection #3
Hi, I Have Problem While Connecting To SqlServer2000. My Datbase Name :- Employee User Name :- 'Sa' Password :- 'sa' How can i connect to SqlServer2000 using connection String. conn = database('Emplyee','Sa','sa',?,?) regards BAIJU MAX ...

Need Help with Java Database Connectivity
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Im a student and im making a project where i can access data in my Microsoft SQL 2000 local database, change it, delete it, ect. I have all the groundwork laid out but im having problems with the actual connection to the database. I downloaded a JDBC driver for sql 2000, but when i compile the program im getting these connection errors java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:532) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:172) ...

Oracle JDBC connect problems-ojdbc6.jar using Native Java commands OK from Matlab,but database toolbox not working -pls help with database toolbox configuration
Hi, I am having some trouble using oracle and jdbc drivers. When I use the native java commands it works from Matlab and I can connect to a database, here is how I do this: javaaddpath('T:\tmp\ojdbc6.jar') aa = oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource() aa.setDriverType('thin') aa.setNetworkProtocol('tcp') aa.setDatabaseName('TESTDB') aa.setServerName('192.0.0.1') aa.setPortNumber(1521) aa.setUser('testuser') aa.setPassword('testpassword') aa.setServiceName('TESTING') conn = aa.getConnection() stmt = conn.createState...

Oracle DB connection help needed
Help Needs, plz. =20 With the statement like "libname omdp oracle user=3D*** password=3D*** path=3D'omdp';, I can hook on database "omdp", then use this libname I = can access all kinds of tables in that database. But for another database "oprp", I can build up this connection, the error log is following =20 In the error records, it shows that OMDP is connected, but "libname oprp oracle user=3D*** password=3D*** path=3D'oprp';" didn't build up connect = for "oprp" not. The thing is I can see "oprp" and can access...

Need help #3 #3
Hello,have a problem with the following site The site link is this http://szenvedelyes.extra.hu I cant make the video work, its stuck or something, should i download higher flash? Or whats the prob? Thanks for the help. ...

OpenVMS Oracle v7.3.3 to Oracle 10GR2 migration and application development
Hi, HI, We are migrating from Oracle v7.3.3 to Oracle 10gR2 on OpenVMS. The programs are linked to a number of Oracle v7.3.3 libraries. We need to find the equivalent Oracle 10gR2 libraries. The v7.3.3 libaries are:- ORA_SQLOLB:SQLLIB.OLB/LIB ORA_OLB:OCI/LIB/INCLUDE ORA_OLB:KUSR/LIB ORA_OLB:KLIB/LIB/INCLUDE ORA_OLB:LLIB/LIB ORA_OLB:ORACLE.OPT/OPT,- ORA_OLB:SGAPAD.OPT/OPT,- ORA_OLB:CORE.OPT/OPT,- ORA_OLB:UPI/OPT,- SYMBOL=OSNSOI,0 SYMBOL=OSNCOI,0 Any ideas as to where the library/options files are now located with Oracle 10GR2 would be appreciated. Thanks Andrew On Mar 11, 2:34=A0am, ...

Need help on messed up VMS PCSI database
I instaled a product a designated hard drive. The drive then crashed before I made a full backup of it. So I could not re-install it as PRODUCT utility said it was already installed. I could not PRODUCT REMOVE it since the the installed directory did not now exist. I searched the Internet for some help and tried PRODUCT REGISTER on that product. It removed the product but now PRODUCT SHOW PRODUCT lists zero products. The product pcsi database files still exist in sys$system and at lease one main pcsi database file has the complete (I think) information. Does anyone know how to rebuild the pc...

Need HELP uninstalling Oracle on my home PC
I signed up for a Oracle/SQL class, started the class then had to drop it because I am taking a MCSE course.... long story short... I followed the directions to uninstall oracle from my home computer but the service for the database I created keeps trying to start. I think this is contributing to some other problems on my PC. Can any one help? Here is examples of events from my event viewer: The OracleServiceMISOTTO service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified. The OracleOraHome92TNSListener service failed to start due to the following error:...

HELP!- Unable to connect remote Oracle database
Hi, I am unable to connect to Oracle database from another server using Client/Server relationship. (FYI...Program is written as Pro*C using Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 running on UNIX HP-UX11) In my Pro*C program, I am using syntax as follows: EXEC SQL CONNECT :username IDENTIFIED BY :password AT :db_name USING :db_string; (Client Server: THS_1 Database Server: THSORACLE Database Instance: DRLDBMS TNSNAMES defined on Client Server: DRLDBMS_THSORACLE ) I have 2 instances running on THS_ORACLE, but I made the ORACLE_SID = DRLDBMS, ie. the instance I need to connect. So ...

Re: How to connect to Oracle database from SAS #3
I have another question. When am importing data from oracle database, default formats are being imported to SAS dataset. So some variables are having $250 whereas only 10 is needed. Is there a way to change the formats (length of the variable) without going through each variable and maximum length needed i.e. a generalized way of changing variable lengths (if it can be done while importing itself, then its even better). Thanks a lot in advance Cherish cherish k <hawks_cherish@yahoo.co.in> wrote: Hi All, I got a way to connect. Before i set up the ODBC connection by going to control ...

HELP!
Hi, I am unable to connect to Oracle database from another server using Client/Server relationship. (FYI...Program is written as Pro*C using Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 running on UNIX HP-UX11) In my Pro*C program, I am using syntax as follows: EXEC SQL CONNECT :username IDENTIFIED BY :password AT :db_name USING :db_string; (Client Server: THS_1 Database Server: THSORACLE Database Instance: DRLDBMS TNSNAMES defined on Client Server: DRLDBMS_THSORACLE ) I have 2 instances running on THS_ORACLE, but I made the ORACLE_SID = DRLDBMS, ie. the instance I need to connect. So ...

Help needed to connect to remote Access database
I'm working on a project which requires me to connect to a remote Access database on a server, using C++ (not MFC). I've written some code to connect to a LOCAL access database file on my own machine and everything works fine. I can't seem to figure out how to get ODBC to talk to a remote Access database though. Can anyone suggest what I might try to get this to work? To make the local access database connection I used function SQLDriverConnect. I tried modifying the connection string to include the keyword SERVER=www.myurl.com but for some reason I just get this er...

Re: Oracle DB connection help needed
Hi, One thing I think is true is that you can access Oracle through either the native Oracle drivers, or through ODBC. My thought is that you have connections set up to both databases through ODBC, and that is why Access and Excel can access them. However, using SAS/ACCESS Oracle, you use the native Oracle drivers. This, then, means that you have to have the right connection information stored in your 'tnsnames.ora' file for both databases. You may only have connection info for the successful one set up. My advice: contact your local DBA and have them look at your 'tnsnames.o...

Lotus Connectivity with Oracle Database Problem...Please Help!
Hi all! I am doing a project related with the connectivity between Oracle & Domino 6 (6.5) through JDBC. Domino runs on suse linux professional 8.2, and Oracle 7.3.4.0.0 on novell 4. I have to fetch real time data from Oracle database, precisely the values of two columns stored in the Oracle database and show them in a pop-up window when the user clicks a button on a form (so there must be fresh real-time data from Oracle DB everytime the user clicks). I'd like to know how it can be done on the web and in the notes client. I suppose I need the appropriate JDBC driver f...

need your help with Oracle 7.3.4, please
Hi all, I am getting: ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available ORA-09243: smsget: error attaching to SGA OSD-04101: invalid SGA: SGA not initialized How do I fix it? It is urgent, please. Eugene Eugene, http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/18123/0/ HTH Wally Could you provide more information about your environment and what you are doing. Is your Oracle home and Oracle SID set ? Are you using sqlplus or svrmgrl or ... ? If you do "ps -ef|grep pmon", does it return a line with your Oracle SID ? Try doing "env | grep -i ora| sort" to grab pertinent information. Are there ...

DCL Help F$FAO error (VAX VMS 7.3, Alpha VMS 8.3)
For all you DCL jockeys out there: I recently had a need for the F$FAO "plurals" directive, and DCL help led me astray: from "help F$FAO directives" I understood that the plurals directives should be used as follows: $ say f$fao("!2UL artike!1%C!%E!%F", n, "l", "len") where instead the proper use is: $ say f$fao("!2UL artike!1%Cl!%Elen!%F", n) I.e. the arguments are not placed in the parameter list as suggested in DCL help, but in line in thee FAO string. The documentation is probably right (saw an excerpt on the 'net), j...

Connecting hp jornada 720 to a pc (help needed please)
Hope someone can help I am having problems connecting my handhold to my pc ive tried everything i can get it as far as when the infrared icon pops up on the pc and the handheld has a window saying opening port but no further the window just stays there. The pc is 800mhz on windows ME using a MA-600 infrared device (i know this works cause my friends laptop connects to it). The handheld is a hp jornada 720 im using the built in infrared to connect to the pc. Any help would be good. Josh >Hope someone can help >I am having problems connecting my handhold to my ...

Maximum connections through arcmap 8.3 using oracle database
Hi, We are using arcmap 8.3 with oracle 9i database on a windows 2000 server. We have 40 users using arcmap. We have noticed that after a specific number of sessions/connections the program becomes unstable and most of the time crashes. Lately we have been monitoring the connections through sdemon and in order for a number of users to work ok, we do not allow the number of connections to pass 40-42. If we alow more connections, then as i mentioned before the system crashes and we have to restart the service of Arcsde. Is there a parameter setting for maximum connections? If this is no...

NEED HELP! Hp 48G+ Connection through Printer Port #3
Graphing Calculator HELP! Has anyone every made an HP 48G+ talk to a PC using The printer port? for some reason there is a device occupying my only Physical COM port and i can't turn it off in WinXP, so i purchases a Print/serial connector, so i can connect my HP cable through the device and into the LPT port. Is there a way i can emulate a COM port through an LPT port? or Is there a way i can modify an HP-PC "connect" app to use the LPT for communication? or Is there a way i can tell the "SerialKey" Devices in WinXP to talk through the LPT port? any comment i...

Help needed in connecting mac on router with other pc's
I'm having trouble getting access to the internet through the router. I am getting a valid IP address from the router (airlink101?) But it won't allow me to access the web. I can login to the router's system utility (198.168.1.1). The status reports that the router is not getting an ip address from the ISP. So naturally, I'm thinking that the problem is with the WAN. But then something interesting was happening. Other computers, (there are five other machines running either windows xp or vista) who are all tied into the same router via switch, are able to access the internet...

Web resources about - Help needed to connect DB2k on PC to v7.3 on VMS - comp.databases.oracle

First Capital Connect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( FCC ) is a British train operating company , owned by FirstGroup , operating the Thameslink Great Northern franchise . FCC operates passenger ...

Connect
mobile photography technology, culture and community www.dpreview.com News Reviews Features Phones Tablets Cameras Apps Forums Mobile photography ...

CloudCraze Connects Consumers To Facebook Brands Via Cloud Technology
Brands on Facebook are always looking for new, efficient ways to connect with customers . CloudCraze, which recently released its 3.0 e-commerce ...

Feature Request: 7 ways Apple Music Connect could be improved
... two years later . This year, alongside the announcement of the highly anticipated Apple Music streaming service , the company launched Connect, ...

Dating App Festar Connects Users Based on Mutual Interests, Not Looks
... release in Japanese, dating app Festar has launched in beta on Android in 13 countries in English and Korean. From AI Pacific , Festar connects ...

'People v. O.J. Simpson' connects dots from L.A. to Ferguson, Baltimore
The White Ford Bronco. The darkening of O.J. Simpson 's face on the cover of Time magazine. Attorney Johnnie Cochran holding up the blood-soaked ...

Morocco Connects First Unit of Giant Noor Solar Complex to Grid
The first phase of North Africa’s largest solar-power complex was connected to the grid in Morocco, with a generating capacity of 160 megawatts. ...

Qualcomm’s New LTE Gigabit Modem Will Make Phones Very Fast… If It Ever Gets A Network To Connect To
... powers the majority of Android phone brands, including Samsung, LG, Nokia, Motorola, and HTC handsets. They also have a reach into most connected ...

NYC mayor wants a streetcar to connect Brooklyn and Queens
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is once again trying to make an impact on transportation but this time it's with streetcars, not taxi apps. ...

How to Immediately Connect With Anyone
Too many people succumb to the mistaken belief that connecting with people is an innate skill that belongs only to the lucky few