Moving text from alpha fields to memo/formatted memo field

Hi

I have a small app where I have a few alpha fields for text comments. Now I
would like to change these fields to one memo or formatted memo field. How?

I have tried and managed to move texts in ascii-format with delimiters and
separators useing TextStream. I have also managed to import, by
importAsciiVar, it back to paradox table but not in memo or f-memo fields,
only in alpha field. The problem is that the length of alpha field is only
255 chars and I would need more, not moch but a little.

You have some tricks, I'm sure, so would you tell me too.

Thanks and greetings from Helsinki

Harri

0
Harri
12/14/2004 11:20:22 AM
comp.databases.paradox 1738 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Create a new field in the table for the memo.

Then use a tCursor to scan through the table and add the different alpha
fields together to one Memo field.

Anders

"Harri Kukkonen" <harri.kukkonen@hel.fi> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi
>
> I have a small app where I have a few alpha fields for text comments. Now
> would like to change these fields to one memo or formatted memo field.
> How?
>
> I have tried and managed to move texts in ascii-format with delimiters and
> separators useing TextStream. I have also managed to import, by
> importAsciiVar, it back to paradox table but not in memo or f-memo fields,
> only in alpha field. The problem is that the length of alpha field is only
> 255 chars and I would need more, not moch but a little.
>
> You have some tricks, I'm sure, so would you tell me too.
>
> Thanks and greetings from Helsinki
>
> Harri

0
Anders
12/14/2004 2:39:47 PM
Hi Anders

Scan sounds simple but... I'm not so familiar with programming. I'm afraid
with loops.

Where I can find an example how to write the code. The example in Pdox help
is perhaps too "simple" to me.

I'll try to test it tonight.

Harri

"Anders Jonsson" <gt3@takethisawaybredband.net> kirjoitti
viestiss�:41befb5d@pnews.thedbcommunity.com...
> Create a new field in the table for the memo.
>
> Then use a tCursor to scan through the table and add the different alpha
> fields together to one Memo field.
>
> Anders
>

> "Harri Kukkonen" <harri.kukkonen@hel.fi> skrev i meddelandet
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a small app where I have a few alpha fields for text comments.
Now
> > would like to change these fields to one memo or formatted memo field.
> > How?
> >
> > I have tried and managed to move texts in ascii-format with delimiters
and
> > separators useing TextStream. I have also managed to import, by
> > importAsciiVar, it back to paradox table but not in memo or f-memo
fields,
> > only in alpha field. The problem is that the length of alpha field is
only
> > 255 chars and I would need more, not moch but a little.
> >
> > You have some tricks, I'm sure, so would you tell me too.
> >
> > Thanks and greetings from Helsinki
> >
> > Harri

0
Harri
12/14/2004 3:41:55 PM
Something like this

var
 tc tCursor
endvar

if not tc.open("MyTable.db") then errorshow() endif

tc.edit()

scan tc :

 tc.Mfld=tc.Afld+" "+tc.Bfld
 tc.unlockrecord()
endscan

tc.close()

This assuming a table called "MyTable" with two alpha fields called "Afld"
and "Bfld" and a new added field of memotype called "Mfld".

make a backup of your data before you start playing with it.

Anders

> Scan sounds simple but... I'm not so familiar with programming. I'm afraid
> with loops.
>
> Where I can find an example how to write the code. The example in Pdox
> help
> is perhaps too "simple" to me.
>
> I'll try to test it tonight.
>
> Harri
>

> "Anders Jonsson" <gt3@takethisawaybredband.net> kirjoitti
> viestiss�:41befb5d@pnews.thedbcommunity.com...
>> Create a new field in the table for the memo.
>>
>> Then use a tCursor to scan through the table and add the different alpha
>> fields together to one Memo field.
>>
>> Anders
>>

>> "Harri Kukkonen" <harri.kukkonen@hel.fi> skrev i meddelandet
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have a small app where I have a few alpha fields for text comments.
> Now
>> > would like to change these fields to one memo or formatted memo field.
>> > How?
>> >
>> > I have tried and managed to move texts in ascii-format with delimiters
> and
>> > separators useing TextStream. I have also managed to import, by
>> > importAsciiVar, it back to paradox table but not in memo or f-memo
> fields,
>> > only in alpha field. The problem is that the length of alpha field is
> only
>> > 255 chars and I would need more, not moch but a little.
>> >
>> > You have some tricks, I'm sure, so would you tell me too.
>> >
>> > Thanks and greetings from Helsinki
>> >
>> > Harri

0
Anders
12/14/2004 4:31:10 PM
Harri,
   Same idea as code Anders posted but keeping text fields on separate lines in
the memo.

Tom Nelson

method run(var eventInfo Event)
var
   tc       tCursor
endVar

if not tc.open("TextMemo.db") then
   errorShow()
   return
endIf

tc.edit()

scan tc:
   tc."MemoField" = memo(String(tc."TextField1","\r\n", ; carriage return, line
feed
                                tc."TextField2","\r\n",
                                tc."TextField3"))
   tc.UnlockRecord()
endScan
tc.close()
endmethod

0
Tom
12/14/2004 4:47:58 PM
Hi Anders and Tom

It's done. Many thanks to you for helping me.

May be there should be some kind "code bank" somewhere or is there?

Merry Xmas ans Happy New Year

Harri Kukkonen

"Tom Nelson" <tomthumb1066@comcast.net> kirjoitti
viestiss�:41BF193E.DD44BB7D@comcast.net...
> Harri,
>    Same idea as code Anders posted but keeping text fields on separate
lines in
> the memo.
>
> Tom Nelson
>
> method run(var eventInfo Event)
> var
>    tc       tCursor
> endVar
>

> if not tc.open("TextMemo.db") then
>    errorShow()
>    return
> endIf
>
> tc.edit()
>
> scan tc:
>    tc."MemoField" = memo(String(tc."TextField1","\r\n", ; carriage return,
line
> feed
>                                 tc."TextField2","\r\n",
>                                 tc."TextField3"))
>    tc.UnlockRecord()
> endScan
> tc.close()
> endmethod

0
Harri

text fields to memo field
Is there a way to combine text fields into one memo field? This is an existing database. Some people in the database may have several "contact" entries where they have a "note" in a text field. I would like to figure a way to combine all the "note" fields for each person into one memo field. Thank you "RR" <texson552000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<S6HRb.969$ee6.74@fe2.texas.rr.com>... > Is there a way to combine text fields into one memo field? > > This is an existing database. Some people in the database may have several > "contact" entries where they have a "note" in a text field. I would like to > figure a way to combine all the "note" fields for each person into one memo > field. > > Thank you Create a memo field in your parent table, and then use fConcatChild from www.mvps.org to paste them all together into the memo field. ...

Copy first line of a memo field to a text field

Keep Memo field from highlighting text when click in field?

"Record Deleted" error when appending to a memo field from a memo field
I found what is causing the error by removing various fields from the Append Query. I also get the error when doing an INSERT INTO. I do not get the error if I do not list the memo field in the Insert or have it in the Append Query. This is not happening with the same field in another query (but I need to check that again). Any ideas why I am getting the "Record Deleted" error? No records end up getting written to the destination table. I know it used to work. -paulw On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 1:46:58 PM UTC-4, PW wrote: > I found what is causing the error by removing various fields from the > Append Query. I also get the error when doing an INSERT INTO. > > I do not get the error if I do not list the memo field in the Insert > or have it in the Append Query. > > This is not happening with the same field in another query (but I need > to check that again). > > Any ideas why I am getting the "Record Deleted" error? No records end > up getting written to the destination table. > > I know it used to work. > > -paulw Are you sure the fields in both tables are the same? What happens if you update record by record? Dim r as recordset Dim r1 as recordset set r = currentdb.openrecordset("Table1",dbopensnapshot) set r1 = currentdb.openrecordset("Table1",dbopenDynaset) R.movefirst Do while not r.eof r1.addnew r1!Field1 = r!Field1 ...

Pasting 1st line of memo field to a text field (revisited)
A little while ago Ron P kindly responded to my inquiry on how to copy the first line of memo field into a text field, using a query: left([MemoField],instr(1,[MemoField],vbCrLf)-1) This is great, but I would like to do this on a form, so that the person entering the memo can use a button to paste the 1st line to a title (text) field. I'm having trouble setting up the code to do this. I'd also appreciate some ideas on how to get the 2nd and 3rd lines copied to other fields. Thanks Alex alexsg@msn.com.au wrote: > A little while ago Ron P kindly responded to my inquiry on how to copy > the first line of memo field into a text field, using a query: > > left([MemoField],instr(1,[MemoField],vbCrLf)-1) > > This is great, but I would like to do this on a form, so that the > person entering the memo can use a button to paste the 1st line to a > title (text) field. I'm having trouble setting up the code to do this. > I'd also appreciate some ideas on how to get the 2nd and 3rd lines > copied to other fields. > > Thanks > > Alex > Here's some code you can modify. This opens up a table called Table3 and reads 2 records in this table that have memos. You can change the count if you like. It attempts to read and display the first 3 lines of the memo before moving on to the next record. If there are only 1 or 2 lines, it displays them then goes on to the next record. It's possible that at the end of ...

access97, sql2005 memo field in a linked table shows as a text field
I've got two tables in sql2005 which have an 'ntext' field when I linked the first table in access97 last week using an odbc data source the access-field type was 'memo' when I link the 2nd table today, it is linked as a text(255) field, ditto for the first table if I link it today if I link the 2nd table using access2003 (and the same odbc data source) it is linked as a memo field I don't think anything was changed on sql2005 or access97 since linkage of the first table produce the correct field type does anyone know what is required to get access97 to link a memo field ? On Aug 21, 12:59 pm, Roger <lesperan...@natpro.com> wrote: > I've got two tables in sql2005 which have an 'ntext' field > when I linked the first table in access97 last week using an odbc data > source the access-field type was 'memo' > > when I link the 2nd table today, it is linked as a text(255) field, > ditto for the first table if I link it today > > if I link the 2nd table using access2003 (and the same odbc data > source) it is linked as a memo field > > I don't think anything was changed on sql2005 or access97 since > linkage of the first table produce the correct field type > > does anyone know what is required to get access97 to link a memo > field ? If I change the sql table field from 'ntext' to 'text' and relink, the access field is now 'memo', but when I display the...

Checking for Text & Moving to the end of a Memo Field
Thank you in advance for any and all assistance. I'm trying to input data from strings to a memo field. I would like to know how to check first to see if there is text there currently and if so move to the end and input the new text. Also, would like to know if I can change the justification on each line of text as it's entered. i.e. Company Name, address, city state and zip would be centered and all the other data would be left or right justification? Michael Your memo field simply stores the inputted text, along with any formatting options you have selected (font color, bold, etc). Your form control would have to handle the acutal formatting of the text, and the control would have to be one that "understands" formatting (like the RichText control that is included with the Developer edition). Note that there are some problems with the RichText included with MOD, the most problematic of which is they do NOT work on reports (you can get around this and display the text but NO formatting). FMS sells a Memo control that does work on reports, and it's easier to deal with that the Richtext box, but it's pricey. To determine whether or not you have text, you can check the Len() of the table field, then append your data to the end of the string: If Len(Me.NameOfYourRichtextControl.Object.Text) > 0 Then Me.NameOfYourRichTextControl & YourData End If Note that you must refer to the .Object of the RichText control to determine the text len...

Formatting in memo fields
Is there any way that individual words or phrases can be formatted within a memo field? Obviously, the whole field can have formatting applied but I'm interested in being able to format just part of the field. This will be in a report Many thanks You can do this in Access 2007, by setting the Text Format property of the memo field in your table to Rich Text. In earlier versions, you cannot do this with the standard text box. If it is important, you could install a special control to show the rich text. Here's one: http://www.lebans.com/richtext.htm -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "anthony" <anthony.marrian@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4d102ddb-4d49-4c8c-a7b4-082d2c29cf31@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Is there any way that individual words or phrases can be formatted > within a memo field? Obviously, the whole field can have formatting > applied but I'm interested in being able to format just part of the > field. This will be in a report > > Many thanks Ah, very many thanks Before I look further into this, could give me an idea as to how it works? Does it effectively mirror what the rich text property in Access 2007 does ie give me the abilty to enter text into a memo field, with individual words or phrases formatted as required, which itself is held in the back end ta...

Formatting in a memo field
Hi, Students reports are produced in an Access databse written by myself (amateur ... but it does seem to work!) Comments are written into a memo field. Many staff prefer to do this bit at home and cut and paste from word. This works fine, but some have decided to include bullet points etc, which dont appear as bullet points. Can this be overcome? Thanks in advance The problem is the text box in Access. It does not support formatted text. You could try downloading a rich text box such as the one Stephen Lebans provides at: www.lebans.com -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "John M" <john@jmawer.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:csku66$em1$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk... > Hi, > > Students reports are produced in an Access databse written by myself > (amateur ... but it does seem to work!) Comments are written into a memo > field. Many staff prefer to do this bit at home and cut and paste from > word. This works fine, but some have decided to include bullet points > etc, > which dont appear as bullet points. Can this be overcome? > > Thanks in advance ...

Memo Fields In Multiuser Database
I've been asked to construct a database which will require several memo fields. This database will be the standard frontend/backend mdb configuration. I have read many posts describing the corruption problems associated with memo fields, especially in a networked environment. Am I asking for trouble if I go ahead with this project? No, you should be fine. There was a problem with corrupting memos back in the early days of Access 97, but it was fixed in a service pack. What you do need to do is ensure that all workstations use good, stable network connections, not flakey ones (such as WiFi). For more details, see: Preventing Corruption - Techniques to avoid corruption at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-25.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Wayne" <cqdigital@volcanomail.com> wrote in message news:49984d0c-2f64-413a-b24b-12bc288f0f1f@i24g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I've been asked to construct a database which will require several > memo fields. This database will be the standard frontend/backend mdb > configuration. I have read many posts describing the corruption > problems associated with memo fields, especially in a networked > environment. Am I asking for trouble if I go ahead with this project? On Nov 5, 7:58=A0pm, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...@SeeSig.Invalid&...

Missing text from memo field
I am using Access 2003. I have a memo field that I have put into a report. My problem is that the report will only show a specific amount of characters in the report. It does not display the entire field. I have checked the properties and they are set to memo so what is happening here? I think it is happening in more than one field but I have only been able to identify or replicate the problem in one field. Thanks Teresa L wrote: > I am using Access 2003. I have a memo field that I have put into a > report. My problem is that the report will only show a specific > amount of characters in the report. It does not display the entire > field. I have checked the properties and they are set to memo so what > is happening here? I think it is happening in more than one field but > I have only been able to identify or replicate the problem in one > field. By the sounds of it, there is more text in the memo field of the record(s) in question than there is space in the control you have set up in your report. The solution is pretty straightforward. Assuming your memo fild report text box control is in a detail section, you need to select the detail section bar and in the detail properties under the format tab, set "CanGrow" to Yes. You must then ensure you do the same thing to the Can Grow property of the text box. You may also wish to consider setting Can shrink to yes as well, depending on your report layout requirements. -- Tim ...

Parsing text from memo field
I have a memo field (in Access 2K) that I use to hold text versions of emails. Here is an example: --- From: Mickey Mouse To: Minnie Mouse Date: 7/21/04 1:10PM Subject: Fwd: Topics for conference call Thanks. That was the premise of Goofy's call earlier today. --- I want to parse out the header data to respective fields (To, From, Date, Subj). I've been all over the posts on this newsgroup today. This is my first real "parse experience". Here's what I have so far (this is to get the "To" name): Dim fldMsg As String Dim ToName As String fldMsg = [Forms]![MESSAGES_ENTRY]![MESSAGE] ToName = (Mid(fldMsg, ((InStr(1, fldMsg, "To:", 0)) + 4), _ (InStr((InStr(1, fldMsg, "To:", 0)), fldMsg, Chr(13), vbBinaryCompare)))) MsgBox (ToName) Now that you're done laughing at my code (just kidding), the only purpose of the msgbox at this point is to show me what I have when I run it. (For some reason whenever I try to run it from the code window, it opens a Run Macro box with nothing in it. I have to actually run this from the form) Ultimately, I would like to paste the retrieved data into fields corresponding w/this message. What I get when I run this is: Minnie Mouse Date: 7/21/04 1:10PM It doesn't stop at the carriage return after "Mouse"...I've tried various combinations of start positions (I even tried "1") and all it ever does is change the position on the "Da...

ENTER in Formatted Memo Field...?
Howdy, I have a form that displays a formatted memo field. If I touch Enter, the cursor moves to the next page of the form. How can I code it to move the cursor to start the next line of text? Sincere thanks, -- Kenneth If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS." On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:29:16 -0400, Kenneth <usenet@soleSPAMLESSassociates.com> wrote: > >Howdy, > >I have a form that displays a formatted memo field. > >If I touch Enter, the cursor moves to the next page of the >form. > >How can I code it to move the c...

Defined field / field format / text boxes message
I have created a field with six choices that can be selected by checking a box before each appropriate item. That all works just fine and I've done that many times before ... But here is my problem... When I check an item and then tab to the next field, every time, I get a message that says "This field is defined to contain only specific values--Allow this value? and I must select Yes to continue. What did I do to get this message, and I really want to get rid of it. It is a nuisance since anything checked is acceptable to me. Any help will be appreciated...Thanks! Bill ...

Tabulators in Formatted Memo Fields [PDOX9]
Hello all, I am looking for a possibility to change the default tabulators in formatted memos. Any idea ? Currently I am struggling to align text to the given tabs. Typing the following: Warenannahme:[tab]blah[tab]blah[carriage return] [tab][tab] blah[tab]blah looks fine in the form, but in a report it is showing: Warenannahme: blah blah blah blah If the 'Warenannahme' is shortened it works or an additional [tab] in the second line does it also for the report but then it is no longer aligned in the form. Warenannahme:[tab]...

memo fields
how can I convince this system to accept more than 100 characters in the memo fields ? and how to obtain that it writes left to right. Please help ! On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:26:14 +0100, "Nicole Elsen" <n.elsen@skynet.be> wrote: The Northwind sample database has a memo field: Categories.Description. I just typed in 120 chars in that field on the Categories form. It needed no convincing. What's different in your app? -Tom. >how can I convince this system to accept more than 100 characters in the >memo fields ? and how to obtain that it writes left to right. Please help >! > Nicole Elsen wrote: > how can I convince this system to accept more than 100 characters in the > memo fields ? and how to obtain that it writes left to right. Please help > ! > > Open up your table and make sure you have set the data type to Memo. ...

Memo Fields
I had a guy ask me about Memo Fields in Oracle. Remember Memo fields are the text files stored outside a Microsoft Access DB when the user creates a memo field in their DB. The question was: "Does Oracle have Memo Field". The answer I gave was that Oracle had a character field that goes up to 2000 charcters nad then everything else could be stored in a blob. Did I tell him correctly? Mike hillmw@ram.lmtas.lmco.com says... > I had a guy ask me about Memo Fields in Oracle. > > Remember Memo fields are the text files stored outside a Microsoft > Access DB when the user creates a memo field in their DB. > > The question was: "Does Oracle have Memo Field". > The answer I gave was that Oracle had a character field that goes up to > 2000 charcters nad then everything else could be stored in a blob. > > Did I tell him correctly? VARCHAR2 holds up to 4000 (not 2000) characters. If you're just storing text-only over that size, use CLOB (Character Large OBject) rather than BLOB (Binary Large OBject). GM Michael Hill wrote: > I had a guy ask me about Memo Fields in Oracle. > > Remember Memo fields are the text files stored outside a Microsoft > Access DB when the user creates a memo field in their DB. > > The question was: "Does Oracle have Memo Field". > The answer I gave was that Oracle had a character field that goes up to > 2000 charcters na...

Memo fields
Good morning.....trying to do the following using Clarion 5B for Windows. I have a memo field that I want to show as a "Hot Field" on the browse window but can't quite seem to do that. I believe I need a variable for the field but can't seem to do that. Any help would be appreciated. TIA Dick Foster ...

Memo field
I have a database where people can store messages for each other. The have their name, date, time of call and a message. The message field is a Memo field, so people should be able to add carriage returns, $%^&() characters. However, sometimes it will show squares instead of the correct text. But other times it will display the information correctly. Also it will work correctly on some computers but not others. I am running the backend on Office 2003 server and all other computers are running Win 2k, all have been SP'd and are up-to-date. Can anyone help me with an explanation of why this would happen? Your assistance would be appreciated. TIA Stephen The squares are most likely the Tab character: Chr(9) which is non-printable in Access. Non-printing characters usually are seen as a square or a small black rectangle. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP Microsoft Access http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access "Steph" <steph_mw@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a04a6a04.0409281750.127f5232@posting.google.com... > I have a database where people can store messages for each other. The > have their name, date, time of call and a message. The message field > is a Memo field, so people should be able to add carriage returns, > $%^&() characters. > > However, sometimes it will show squares instead of the correct text. > But other times it will display the information correctly. Also it > will work correctly on some computers ...

Memo field
Where can I get more info on memo fields - the help files dont tell me what I need to know. My memo(2000) fields name is XXX the command I use is: IF Len(Clip(XXX)) > 80 OR instring('<13><10>',XXX,1,1) then It finds the <13><10> but not the first part. Can somebody please help me Kind Regards MJ ...

Access treating Memo like a Text field
Hi, I have an web app and I am using access 2002 and VB.net. I am using a data adapter to fill a dataset. I am retrieving product descriptions, some are long and i have used a field of memo datatype to save them in. The problem is sometimes I can only retrieve the first 255 characters in a memo field and other times I can retrieve the full product descriptions which can be over 640 charaters. The problem is consistent, the same fields are always truncated to 255 characters and the others are always displayed in full. Has anyone heard of this before? Any ideas on where I can look? Thanks for any help. Sling Blade, Jet's maximum column width for a text column is 255 characters. Jet is the database engine behind Access. So, Access' maximum column with for a text column is 255 characters. There is no easy way around this. "sling blade" <compassSoftware@gmail.com> wrote in message news:9af6038a.0503210147.2b624d63@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > I have an web app and I am using access 2002 and VB.net. I am using a > data adapter to fill a dataset. > > I am retrieving product descriptions, some are long and i have used a > field of memo datatype to save them in. > > The problem is sometimes I can only retrieve the first 255 characters > in a memo field and other times I can retrieve the full product > descriptions which can be over 640 charaters. > > The problem is consistent, the same fields are always tr...

WRITE #1 to a text file
I am using the following for writing to a file some data: Open var_export_file For Output As #1 Write #1,....... One of the values I want to write to the file comes from a MEMO file. Only 255 characters are written from the memo field, the rest are invalid characters. Is there a simple solution for this ? On Sep 01 2004, 05:13 am, clarkou@memrb.com.cy (CLarkou) wrote in news:db08d9f5.0409010113.4b033a8@posting.google.com: > I am using the following for writing to a file some data: > > Open var_export_file For Output As #1 > > Write #1,....... > > One of the values I want to write to the file comes from a MEMO file. > Only 255 characters are written from the memo field, the rest are > invalid characters. > > Is there a simple solution for this ? Try using Put instead of Write. If that doesn't help, post the actual code you are using. -- remove a 9 to reply by email When working from a Memo field, you have to use the field itself directly. In other words, don't do something like: MyMemoString = recordset.MyMemoField Write #1, MyMemoString instead you have to do: Write #1, recordset.MyMemoField There are a number of articles in the Microsoft Knowledgebase on this. By the way, use the Print command rather then the Write command. You will get better results. On 1 Sep 2004 02:13:25 -0700, clarkou@memrb.com.cy (CLarkou) wrote: >I am using the following for writing to a file some data: > > Open var...

Insert multiple values in memo/text field
Hi, I have an Access database and I want to populate a memo/text field with a string of values retrieved from the database based upon a particular value. So for example I want to populate the field with a string of the names of other contacts at the same company as the current contact separated by a comma. I'm not sure how to go about this? Should I use Visual Basic or a query or a combination of both. Any suggestions or sample code would be very helpful. Thanks Emmett Power "Emmett Power" <Emmett@Silico-Research.com> wrote in message news:6e11de5c.0309230808.4819f4c2@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > I have an Access database and I want to populate a memo/text field > with a string of values retrieved from the database based upon a > particular value. So for example I want to populate the field with a > string of the names of other contacts at the same company as the > current contact separated by a comma. > > I'm not sure how to go about this? Should I use Visual Basic or a > query or a combination of both. > > Any suggestions or sample code would be very helpful. > > Thanks > Emmett Power You can use a simple bit of code to loop through records and build a string which you then put into your memo field. It might look something like: If Not rsCompany.EOF then rsCompany.MoveFirst 'If records exist move first Do Until rsCompany.EOF strCriteria ...

Copy/Print text form memo field?
I want to create two buttons on a form. One would allow the user to Copy the contents of the current records memo field, the other would allow them to print. I set up a report based on the memo field, and it works. But, it seems wrong since I had to create a huge text box to accommodate memo fields with a lot of text. Thanks for any help, ShyGuy Consider using the "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink" properties of the memo text box on your report. This way, the text box will adjust to the size of your text. You then do not have to make a large text box. Denny G. "Shyguy" <Shyguy@shytown.com> wrote in message news:huo4lv4esf65u7oggsnakatouahmd4c1n2@4ax.com... > I want to create two buttons on a form. One would allow the user to > Copy the contents of the current records memo field, the other would > allow them to print. I set up a report based on the memo field, and > it works. But, it seems wrong since I had to create a huge text box to > accommodate memo fields with a lot of text. > > Thanks for any help, > > ShyGuy Thanks for the tip. That works very nicely. ;-) I still haven't figured out how to copy the text to the clipboard. ShyGuy On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:43:25 GMT, "Dennys G." <giaruso@adelphia.net> wrote: >Consider using the "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink" properties of the memo text >box on your report. This way, the text box will adjust to the size of you...

Web resources about - Moving text from alpha fields to memo/formatted memo field - comp.databases.paradox

Formatted text - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Formatted text cannot rightly be identified with binary files or be distinct from ASCII text. This is because formatted text is not necessarily ...

Received a badly formatted email on your mobile? 75 percent of you will delete it
A survey by Constant Contact shows that mobile devices are more important than ever, particularly to those under the age of 30. The study reveals ...

Quickly view formatted PDFs in your search results
Google search results sometimes include documents that were not originally formatted to be viewed in a web browser, such as PDFs. In the past, ...

Now in Google search results: Formatted PDFs
Google has launched a new search option called Quick View that allows users to open formatted PDF filesnot just HTML viewing of documentsfrom ...

Proxy ports showing formatted text in Mountain Lion
An interface bug in the OS X Network system preferences shows unconventional port string formats, but does not affect OS X performance.

It’s Markdown, no, PowerShell. Wait its Markdown formatted PowerShell.
... "Current DateTime is = $([System.DateTime]::Now)" ### Escape characters with the ` (back-tick) "Escape a quotation `"This is quoted`"." Formatted ...

Exploit can control older Macs even after they're formatted
Exploit can control older Macs even after they're formatted

HBO cancels 'In Treatment' 'as previously formatted'
HBO just made it official: In Treatment will not return for a fourth season. The psychotherapist drama won plenty of critical acclaim and Emmy ...

FAA GPS data formatted for your use
[Michael] posted up-to-date GPS data sets in the GPX format . These data sets are an alternative to paid updates. Since GPX is a published standard ...

Converting Mac-formatted iPod to Windows - iLounge Article
Q: In reading your FAQ and previous columns, I see that it is possible to use a Mac-formatted iPod on a Windows PC through the use of a third-party ...