HELP! HELP! HELP!

We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz
Pentium with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is
smaller)

We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant
problems.

Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from
Hell") the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some
sort in the ABS area.

THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and
gnashing of teeth I got the system running again.

OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad?

Anyhow, the bottom line is that I REALLY need a set of 33 user 3.1m
disks.

Any Ideas/Help? I do have a 25 user version of r83 v3.1 (no 'm') with
a monolith loader diskette (5.25) but it doesn't seem to hook up with
the PICK diskettes (just keeps rebooting)

If I can get a sister machine running with the 25 user - does anyone
have any trick to bump it to 33 user. There must be just a byte or 2
in the ABS area that regulates # of users.

Again - Help! Help! Help!

Van

PS: The reason we haven't upgraded is that I am using a 4GL called
Envision that was written a long time ago and about half of it was
done in assembler and won't run on any of the later version of PICK.
I've been meaning to re-write it in Basic but it's a pretty daunting
project.
0
Van
3/2/2006 9:21:56 PM
comp.databases.pick 5449 articles. 2 followers. ttrroonniicc (5) is leader. Post Follow

I'd get busy rewriting the software if I were you. If anyone actually has
the disks, there's no guarantee they will work. You got lucky this time.
Next time you may not be so lucky.

"Van Mog" <vmog@execpc.com> wrote in message
> We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz
> Pentium with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is
> smaller)
>
> We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant
> problems.
>
> Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from
> Hell") the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some
> sort in the ABS area.
>
> THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and
> gnashing of teeth I got the system running again.
>
> OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad?
>
> Anyhow, the bottom line is that I REALLY need a set of 33 user 3.1m
> disks.
>
> Any Ideas/Help? I do have a 25 user version of r83 v3.1 (no 'm') with
> a monolith loader diskette (5.25) but it doesn't seem to hook up with
> the PICK diskettes (just keeps rebooting)
>
> If I can get a sister machine running with the 25 user - does anyone
> have any trick to bump it to 33 user. There must be just a byte or 2
> in the ABS area that regulates # of users.
>
> Again - Help! Help! Help!
>
> Van
>
> PS: The reason we haven't upgraded is that I am using a 4GL called
> Envision that was written a long time ago and about half of it was
> done in assembler and won't run on any of the later version of PICK.
> I've been meaning to re-write it in Basic but it's a pretty daunting
> project.

0
Jeffrey
3/2/2006 10:43:50 PM
Man, if I tried real hard to come up with a funnier scenario, I couldn't do
it. I had to read this thing three times before I could get through it
without tears.

What Jeff said.

Ed

"Jeffrey Kaufman" <jkaufman@keydata.us> wrote in message
> I'd get busy rewriting the software if I were you. If anyone actually has
> the disks, there's no guarantee they will work. You got lucky this time.
> Next time you may not be so lucky.
>
> "Van Mog" <vmog@execpc.com> wrote in message
>> We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz
>> Pentium with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is
>> smaller)
>>
>> We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant
>> problems.
>>
>> Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from
>> Hell") the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some
>> sort in the ABS area.
>>
>> THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and
>> gnashing of teeth I got the system running again.
>>
>> OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad?
>>
>> Anyhow, the bottom line is that I REALLY need a set of 33 user 3.1m
>> disks.
>>
>> Any Ideas/Help? I do have a 25 user version of r83 v3.1 (no 'm') with
>> a monolith loader diskette (5.25) but it doesn't seem to hook up with
>> the PICK diskettes (just keeps rebooting)
>>
>> If I can get a sister machine running with the 25 user - does anyone
>> have any trick to bump it to 33 user. There must be just a byte or 2
>> in the ABS area that regulates # of users.
>>
>> Again - Help! Help! Help!
>>
>> Van
>>
>> PS: The reason we haven't upgraded is that I am using a 4GL called
>> Envision that was written a long time ago and about half of it was
>> done in assembler and won't run on any of the later version of PICK.
>> I've been meaning to re-write it in Basic but it's a pretty daunting
>> project.

0
Ed
3/2/2006 11:11:56 PM
Goo'day,

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:21:56 GMT, Van Mog <vmog@execpc.com> wrote:

>We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz
>Pentium with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is
>smaller)
>
>We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant
>problems.
>
>Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from
>Hell") the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some
>sort in the ABS area.

It really is like moving the TV or the fridge, isn't it?
Bloody things work unattended for years, and then you move them to
sweep behind them, and.....Oh Bother!!

>THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and
>gnashing of teeth I got the system running again.
>
>OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad?

And probably every other one for the past three years......

>Anyhow, the bottom line is that I REALLY need a set of 33 user 3.1m
>disks.
>
>Any Ideas/Help? I do have a 25 user version of r83 v3.1 (no 'm') with
>a monolith loader diskette (5.25) but it doesn't seem to hook up with
>the PICK diskettes (just keeps rebooting)
>
>If I can get a sister machine running with the 25 user - does anyone
>have any trick to bump it to 33 user. There must be just a byte or 2
>in the ABS area that regulates # of users.
>
>Again - Help! Help! Help!
>
>Van
>
>PS: The reason we haven't upgraded is that I am using a 4GL called
>Envision that was written a long time ago and about half of it was
>done in assembler and won't run on any of the later version of PICK.
>I've been meaning to re-write it in Basic but it's a pretty daunting
>project.

Sorry, but I can be of no help...but....

Better prepare yourself to be seriously daunted.....

And don't be too surprised to see your words quoted and requoted over
the coming years as a warning to others with either "no time" or
"short arms and long pockets".....

Regards,

Bruce Nichol
Talon Computer Services
ALBURY    NSW    Australia

http://www.taloncs.com.au

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is....
0
Bruce
3/2/2006 11:37:02 PM
Hi
What is so unique about your business requirements that any of us could not
supply an upgrade system.  You have had several lifetimes use out of what
you have, a system upgrade is called for.  Anything is cheaper than going
broke because your business cannot run.
Peter McMurray
"Van Mog" <vmog@execpc.com> wrote in message
> We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz
> Pentium with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is
> smaller)
>
> We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant
> problems.
>
> Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from
> Hell") the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some
> sort in the ABS area.
>
> THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and
> gnashing of teeth I got the system running again.
>
> OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad?
>
> Anyhow, the bottom line is that I REALLY need a set of 33 user 3.1m
> disks.
>
> Any Ideas/Help? I do have a 25 user version of r83 v3.1 (no 'm') with
> a monolith loader diskette (5.25) but it doesn't seem to hook up with
> the PICK diskettes (just keeps rebooting)
>
> If I can get a sister machine running with the 25 user - does anyone
> have any trick to bump it to 33 user. There must be just a byte or 2
> in the ABS area that regulates # of users.
>
> Again - Help! Help! Help!
>
> Van
>
> PS: The reason we haven't upgraded is that I am using a 4GL called
> Envision that was written a long time ago and about half of it was
> done in assembler and won't run on any of the later version of PICK.
> I've been meaning to re-write it in Basic but it's a pretty daunting
> project.

0
Peter
3/3/2006 3:23:45 AM
You have been very lucky this time, why would you even consider
pressing your luck,
and the future of the business, any further.

Time to roll up the sleeves and tackle the "..pretty daunting
project.." before the system
dies again, and provide a more secure future for the business.

Good Luck....

0
bgraetz
3/3/2006 4:10:57 AM
Goo'day, again,

The word "Envision" rattled my chain a bit... and "Bingo!"
Who said us ol' pissants have sawdust for brains?
Within the past couple of days (thank your lucky stars it was *that*
recent, though) we've had a poster on the OpenQM list whose
application, he says, is written using Envision.... Perhaps he can
help you in your rewrite... Seems as if he's got no problems running
his stuff on newer environments....

Give him a buzz:   cstewart(number2) - wiithout the"number" and the
brackets - ATearthlink.net...

That'd be very similar to csmith2.....

HTH....

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:21:56 GMT, Van Mog <vmog@execpc.com> wrote:

Regards,

Bruce Nichol
Talon Computer Services
ALBURY    NSW    Australia

http://www.taloncs.com.au

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is....
0
Bruce
3/3/2006 6:12:46 AM
It didn't sound as if a T-VERIFY was done on the backup tape.  That should
be a standard practice after a file-save.  If it was verified, then it may
be that the tape is worn out or dirty, the tape drive head is dirty, or that
the tape drive may be going bad.

I would suggest to purchase another dozen backup tapes, so that you can have
more backups available before they get recycled (you can't have too many).
And if your current tapes are over a couple of years old, replace them in
the rotation with new tapes.  It would also be a good time to buy a spare
tape drive, if it is a type that is getting difficult to find.  And use a
cleaning tape on a regular basis.

With all your bad luck described below, I'd also make sure to keep many
recent backups offsite (noting that the definition of "offsite" means "at a
different location", not "oh, using this fire safe is MUCH easier...")

"Van Mog" <vmog@execpc.com> wrote in message
> We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz
> Pentium with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is
> smaller)
>
> We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant
> problems.
>
> Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from
> Hell") the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some
> sort in the ABS area.
>
> THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and
> gnashing of teeth I got the system running again.
>
> OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad?
>
> Anyhow, the bottom line is that I REALLY need a set of 33 user 3.1m
> disks.
>
> Any Ideas/Help? I do have a 25 user version of r83 v3.1 (no 'm') with
> a monolith loader diskette (5.25) but it doesn't seem to hook up with
> the PICK diskettes (just keeps rebooting)
>
> If I can get a sister machine running with the 25 user - does anyone
> have any trick to bump it to 33 user. There must be just a byte or 2
> in the ABS area that regulates # of users.
>
> Again - Help! Help! Help!
>
> Van
>
> PS: The reason we haven't upgraded is that I am using a 4GL called
> Envision that was written a long time ago and about half of it was
> done in assembler and won't run on any of the later version of PICK.
> I've been meaning to re-write it in Basic but it's a pretty daunting
> project.

0
Brian
3/3/2006 5:53:31 PM
Commandment Number 11 --
Thou shalt backup when thou hast done more than thou carest to re-do.

Commandment Number 12 --
Thou shalt verify all backups.

And, keep in mind that that backup/verify may be more than one time per
day, especially in times of "critical operations" like end-of-month and
end-of-year routines.

Dave Weaver, Weaver Consulting

0
Dave
3/3/2006 9:39:34 PM
NoNo Dave You have it all wrong.
 End of Month and End of Year is when we are too busy to waste time doing
backups.
As for when we have brought our sleeping bags in to the office and worked
through the night for the last three days before Xmas to get the system
totally wrapped up for the new owners who take possession on Dec 27.  You
have got to be joking! I mean, as if we would get overtired and at 2:30 am
Dec 24 decide to stop a job with the three finger salute, and accidentally
find an undocumented engineering feature of a different third finger that
halts the machine instantly!
Genuine example.  At least grateful client said thank you, paid cash and
shouted expensive dinner for two.
Peter McMurray

"Dave Weaver" <weaver22@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Commandment Number 11 --
> Thou shalt backup when thou hast done more than thou carest to re-do.
>
> Commandment Number 12 --
> Thou shalt verify all backups.
>
> And, keep in mind that that backup/verify may be more than one time per
> day, especially in times of "critical operations" like end-of-month and
> end-of-year routines.
>
> Dave Weaver, Weaver Consulting

0
Peter
3/4/2006 12:45:48 AM
As it happens, I have R83 v3.1, 3-user, and R83 v3.1, 25-user, 5.25"
floppy disks (System and Data diskettes )plus original manuals. I have
heard of bumping the users to 33, but can't lay my hands on it at the
moment. Where are you, and what's it worth to you?

Steve - sanado(omit this)at (this too) san DOT rr DOTcom

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:21:56 GMT, Van Mog <vmog@execpc.com> wrote:

>We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz
>Pentium with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is
>smaller)
>
>We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant
>problems.
>
>Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from
>Hell") the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some
>sort in the ABS area.
>
>THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and
>gnashing of teeth I got the system running again.
>
>OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad?
>
>Anyhow, the bottom line is that I REALLY need a set of 33 user 3.1m
>disks.
>
>Any Ideas/Help? I do have a 25 user version of r83 v3.1 (no 'm') with
>a monolith loader diskette (5.25) but it doesn't seem to hook up with
>the PICK diskettes (just keeps rebooting)
>
>If I can get a sister machine running with the 25 user - does anyone
>have any trick to bump it to 33 user. There must be just a byte or 2
>in the ABS area that regulates # of users.
>
>Again - Help! Help! Help!
>
>Van
>
>PS: The reason we haven't upgraded is that I am using a 4GL called
>Envision that was written a long time ago and about half of it was
>done in assembler and won't run on any of the later version of PICK.
>I've been meaning to re-write it in Basic but it's a pretty daunting
>project.

0
Steve
3/5/2006 3:37:45 AM
Van,

I strongly recommend that you use a floppy disk cleaner and check your
5.25 inch drive on old floppies before you insert your Pick 3.1 master
disk. If your server is old then you might find Cumulative Repository of
Abrasive Particles (C.R.A.P.) on the drive heads which could trash your
valuable master floppy. It happened to me ONCE.

May I also suggest that your business IT paradigm has now shifted. Until
now you have enjoyed some very low cost IT provision for your business.
Now your business is at risk and you would be wise to invest in new IT
and the expertise to implement it. DIY IT can save dollars but cost
thousands.

As Stelios Haji-Ioannou of Easy Jet was reported to quip: "If you think
saftey is expensive then try having an accident."

http://www.fastcompany.com/online/64/ioannou.html

John

Van Mog wrote:
> We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz
> Pentium with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is
> smaller)
>
> We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant
> problems.
>
> Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from
> Hell") the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some
> sort in the ABS area.
>
> THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and
> gnashing of teeth I got the system running again.
>
> OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad?
>
> Anyhow, the bottom line is that I REALLY need a set of 33 user 3.1m
> disks.
>
> Any Ideas/Help? I do have a 25 user version of r83 v3.1 (no 'm') with
> a monolith loader diskette (5.25) but it doesn't seem to hook up with
> the PICK diskettes (just keeps rebooting)
>
> If I can get a sister machine running with the 25 user - does anyone
> have any trick to bump it to 33 user. There must be just a byte or 2
> in the ABS area that regulates # of users.
>
> Again - Help! Help! Help!
>
> Van
>
> PS: The reason we haven't upgraded is that I am using a 4GL called
> Envision that was written a long time ago and about half of it was
> done in assembler and won't run on any of the later version of PICK.
> I've been meaning to re-write it in Basic but it's a pretty daunting
> project.
0
John
3/6/2006 12:51:08 PM
 We've beat this poor guy to death long enough - now lets help.

Someone can get R83 running with some number of users then reverse engineer
his app and implement it using D3 or jBase or something.  It won't be free
and it won't be instant but it will get his Company out of a deep hole.  If
he declines to spend the money then he can stay in the hole.  But his need
seems legitimate and his Company seems solid from looking at their web page.
So I suspect that he will be willing to listen to a reasonable proposal.  If
I were younger and if it weren't the middle of winter then I would offer
something but I get a nose bleed when I get north of Orlando in the winter.
But there is talent in his part of the Arctic so someone step up and speak.
BobJ

"John Bend" <spam@itstuff.net> wrote in message
> Van,
>
> I strongly recommend that you use a floppy disk cleaner and check your
> 5.25 inch drive on old floppies before you insert your Pick 3.1 master
> disk. If your server is old then you might find Cumulative Repository of
> Abrasive Particles (C.R.A.P.) on the drive heads which could trash your
> valuable master floppy. It happened to me ONCE.
>
> May I also suggest that your business IT paradigm has now shifted. Until
> now you have enjoyed some very low cost IT provision for your business.
> Now your business is at risk and you would be wise to invest in new IT and
> the expertise to implement it. DIY IT can save dollars but cost thousands.
>
> As Stelios Haji-Ioannou of Easy Jet was reported to quip: "If you think
> saftey is expensive then try having an accident."
>
> http://www.fastcompany.com/online/64/ioannou.html
>
> John
>
> Van Mog wrote:
>> We are currently running R83 v3.1m (33 user) on an old 200 Mhz Pentium
>> with 16Mb Mem and 2.x gif HD (the actual partition is smaller)
>>
>> We have run this for a number of years without ANY significant problems.
>> Last week (just as my family was in the middle of "the move from Hell")
>> the system decides to take a major dump. A bad link of some sort in the
>> ABS area.
>>
>> THEN - the systems disks have disappeared. After much screaming and
>> gnashing of teeth I got the system running again.
>>
>> OH! did I mention that the previous evenings file save tape was bad?
>>
>> Anyhow, the bottom line is that I REALLY need a set of 33 user 3.1m
>> disks.
>>
>> Any Ideas/Help? I do have a 25 user version of r83 v3.1 (no 'm') with a
>> monolith loader diskette (5.25) but it doesn't seem to hook up with the
>> PICK diskettes (just keeps rebooting)
>>
>> If I can get a sister machine running with the 25 user - does anyone have
>> any trick to bump it to 33 user. There must be just a byte or 2 in the
>> ABS area that regulates # of users.
>>
>> Again - Help! Help! Help!
>>
>> Van
>>
>> PS: The reason we haven't upgraded is that I am using a 4GL called
>> Envision that was written a long time ago and about half of it was done
>> in assembler and won't run on any of the later version of PICK. I've been
>> meaning to re-write it in Basic but it's a pretty daunting project.

0
BobJ
3/6/2006 2:42:25 PM
"BobJ" wrote:
> We've beat this poor guy to death long enough - now lets help.

Bob, I'm starting to wonder if this was another troll.  Via e-mail,
I've offered him access to floppies, as others have done here, and
there's been no response.  I don't know what to make of this.

And re-writing his assembler-based software?  I don't think so.

At this point I'd recommend he buy some new accounting software and
focus on migrating data rather than keeping the old system going.  He
can commission Raining Data to provide disks or data extraction
services.  This company took a big gamble and lost - a real shame
considering they're just the last in a long line of companies who have
met with the same disaster.  Now it's time to just pick up the pieces
and do what it takes to keep the business running - and yes, it's
going to cost a lot of money.

Tony
3/7/2006 12:21:26 AM
Actually, Tony, far be it for me to suggest, but I think you're
wrong....

There's been a bit of activity on the OpenQM list, or thereabouts,
looking for somebody who mentioned QM and Envision in the same
breath...

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 16:21:26 -0800, Tony Gravagno
<g6q3x9lu53001@sneakemail.com.invalid> wrote:

>I'm starting to wonder if this was another troll.  Via e-mail,

>I've offered him access to floppies, as others have done here, and
>there's been no response.  I don't know what to make of this.
>
>And re-writing his assembler-based software?  I don't think so.
>
>At this point I'd recommend he buy some new accounting software and
>focus on migrating data rather than keeping the old system going.  He
>can commission Raining Data to provide disks or data extraction
>services.  This company took a big gamble and lost - a real shame
>considering they're just the last in a long line of companies who have
>met with the same disaster.  Now it's time to just pick up the pieces
>and do what it takes to keep the business running - and yes, it's
>going to cost a lot of money.

Regards,

Bruce Nichol
Talon Computer Services
ALBURY    NSW    Australia

http://www.taloncs.com.au

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is....
0
Bruce
3/7/2006 3:15:57 AM
"Tony Gravagno" <g6q3x9lu53001@sneakemail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "BobJ" wrote:
>> We've beat this poor guy to death long enough - now lets help.
>
> Bob, I'm starting to wonder if this was another troll.  Via e-mail,
> I've offered him access to floppies, as others have done here, and
> there's been no response.  I don't know what to make of this.
>
> And re-writing his assembler-based software?  I don't think so.
>
> At this point I'd recommend he buy some new accounting software and
> focus on migrating data rather than keeping the old system going.  He
> can commission Raining Data to provide disks or data extraction
> services.  This company took a big gamble and lost - a real shame
> considering they're just the last in a long line of companies who have
> met with the same disaster.  Now it's time to just pick up the pieces
> and do what it takes to keep the business running - and yes, it's
> going to cost a lot of money.

It does look like a troll until you look at their web page.  But the OP is
not mentioned on the web page which is strange.

As for re-writing their anything based software, I don't mean to emulate
it - I mean write a new application using a lot of your existing accounting
and distribution software.  I suspect that there are many improvements that
can be made that will help to justify the cost.  It's not for me for reasons
mentioned and it's probably not for you (Tony) because that's not your bag.
But there are lots of lurkers on this group with both the interest and the
ability to do it.  If I were interested then I would contact the owners
directly.  Actually, it looks like the sort of thing that most of us built
our business on many years ago.
BobJ

0
BobJ
3/7/2006 7:02:28 AM
John:

"John Bend" <spam@itstuff.net> wrote ...

[snipped]

> As Stelios Haji-Ioannou of Easy Jet was reported to quip: "If you think
> saftey is expensive then try having an accident."
>
> http://www.fastcompany.com/online/64/ioannou.html

Or as P.J. O'Rourke notes: "If you think health care is expensive now...wait
until you see what it costs when it's free!"  :-)

Bill

0
Bill
3/9/2006 12:42:49 PM
Tony Gravagno <g6q3x9lu53001@sneakemail.com.invalid> wrote in

> "BobJ" wrote:
>> We've beat this poor guy to death long enough - now lets help.
>
> Bob, I'm starting to wonder if this was another troll.

Hey Tony and All,

I appreciate all of the advise and offers of help. It's all up and
running now as I did have a couple of HDs I cloned forensically with
Ghost. Had a bugger of a time getting the tape drive go - but it worked
out.

Just for all of you that think I'm a complete flake ;^)

... I have been working with PICK for more than 20 years and am a little
bit of a fanatic about backup (and verify!!)

The problem was that the tape drive and had started to give us "media
error" messages. I obtained a refurbed (so they say) drive but what with
my family moving and all I couldn't stay late to install it.

When the system took a hard dump, the previous nights tape was, of
course one that had the error.

So, it was a combination of things. It was still my fault - if I had had
the system disks or had started to find replacements (thanks for nothing
Raining Data!) I could have avoided the worst of it.

We located the source code for the Envision software and are going to
get it converted totally to PICK Basic (NOT cheap) and as soon as that
is done we'll convert to D3 or something newer than the dark ages.

Again, I appreciate all of the offers of help, but I think we're on the
right track. I have a sister machine (actually 2!!) up and running with
the cloned HDs and the seem fine.

To say that the Boss is nervous is a major understatement.

Thanks again,

Van E. Mog

0
Van
3/9/2006 10:30:26 PM
Not sure if you've considered this but - if you're going to spend that much
money to essentially re-write an obsolete text-based 4GL you may be better
off investing in writing a new front-end and migrating the back-end.

Tons of choices.

hth
Colin Alfke
Calgary Canada

"Van Mog"  wrote
[snip]

> We located the source code for the Envision software and are going to
> get it converted totally to PICK Basic (NOT cheap) and as soon as that
> is done we'll convert to D3 or something newer than the dark ages.
>
> Again, I appreciate all of the offers of help, but I think we're on the
> right track. I have a sister machine (actually 2!!) up and running with
> the cloned HDs and the seem fine.
>
> To say that the Boss is nervous is a major understatement.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Van E. Mog

0
Colin
3/10/2006 12:41:40 AM
"Colin Alfke" <administrator@localhost.invalid> wrote in message
> Not sure if you've considered this but - if you're going to spend that
> much
> money to essentially re-write an obsolete text-based 4GL you may be better
> off investing in writing a new front-end and migrating the back-end.
>
> Tons of choices.
>
> hth
> Colin Alfke
> Calgary Canada

        Listen to the man.  When you are building a new aircraft you often
spend more on jigs and fixtures than on the aircraft itself - but yor are
not building a NEW anything.
        Bobj

> "Van Mog"  wrote
> [snip]
>>
>> We located the source code for the Envision software and are going to
>> get it converted totally to PICK Basic (NOT cheap) and as soon as that
>> is done we'll convert to D3 or something newer than the dark ages.
>>
>> Again, I appreciate all of the offers of help, but I think we're on the
>> right track. I have a sister machine (actually 2!!) up and running with
>> the cloned HDs and the seem fine.
>>
>> To say that the Boss is nervous is a major understatement.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Van E. Mog

0
BobJ

Help Help Help Help Help
please,help us . we have a seious problem, we are designing a radio controlled car that is guided by the PC, to send the data wireless between the PC and the Car and vice versa. we use 2 transmitter/reciever circuits from 2 seperate radio controlled car each running with a different frequency (27 MHz & 40 MHz)and modify the functionality of each to do the disered work. but on mounting a transmitter(40MHz) and reciever(27MHz) on the car, and attach another transmitter(27MHz) and reciever(40MHz) to the PC; we found that on sending signals from the car to the PC on the transmitter & rec...

help!help!help!help!
I am a student.I am going to make a simulation of a robot (FANUC Robot M-16iB) under the matlab\simulink environment . It is a normal 6DOF robot.I want to realize any angle and any speed (under the max speed) and any position and orientation control. As I just starting to do this new field,I have no experience about it. Can you give me some simulation demo or examples for 6DOF robot? I am very eager to get these.Please write back to me as soon as possible,thank you! Sincerely, Connie&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; zhanglijuan920@sohu.c...

help help help
I need to refresh my C knowledge quickly. I will be reading code for simple industrial type controls like motor controllers, valve drivers, etc This software is pretty simple, 3000 lines max. The executable is embedded in flash on the processor chip. Actually I haven't seen it yet. I haven't looked at C or done any programming in ages. I'm looking for a simple programming suite that will run on my WinXP (NTFS) computer. Something that doesn't take really long to get up to speed with. Simple is better. I just need to practice and remember and do some simple experi...

Help Help Help
Hello, I am a reluctant user of the website ntsearch.com. I accidentally download a Java program called "dict" from an ebook website to my XP and now every English words that I read from my computer has got a link with your web. I found it very frustrating when I noticed all the chinese characters I read from the web now become loads of question marks. I think it has a link with the program that I accidentally downloaded from that ebook website. How can I remove the so called "dict" program and other Java Scripts from my computer? This is very urgent and please answer my ...

Help!! Help!! Help!!
I wish to vectorize the following code: s = tf('s'); W = logspace(-1,2,50); COMBINATION = combn(W, 2); K = cell(length(COMBINATION), 1); K0 = 1 + (1/(2*s)) + 0.5*s/(0.2*s + 1); % PID controller to be approximated as PI gapValue = zeros(length(COMBINATION), 1); for i = 1:length(COMBINATION) K{i} = (COMBINATION(i,1)*(1 + (1/(COMBINATION(i,2)*s)))); % PI controller end for i = 1:length(COMBINATION) gapValue(i,1) = gapmetric(K0, K{i}); end where K0 is the Nominal transfer function and K is a cell array including transfer functions whose gap metric from K0 are...

Help, Help, Help...
Hei! Im makin a hot INVADERS game with Java but im a newbie with language, so , question is how do i use KeyPressed () function... I hav Applet Runnable... -!Hei!- Here is my problem... public class TestinKeys extends Applet implements Runnable .... .... public void run () { while ( true ) { KeyEvent ke; if ( ke.getKeyChar() == 'a' ) g_TykkiX ++; .... .... What is Wrong, im tryin to make that Invaders game but i dont know how to read keyboard with Runnable Java code... JariTapio <JariTapio@pp.inet.fi> wrote: > publi...

HELP HELP HELP
Hi! All, I am an Interactive Media Designer and know very less about asp but the basic concept behind. I got to make an online test(Exam) in asp which has a login (frm access database) panel. Can any one direct me to a free source so that I can simply pick the project and customize it. Thnaks in Advance Raj.Design In article <1112007306.454441.207430@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, raj.design@gmail.com enlightened us with... > Hi! All, > I am an Interactive Media Designer and know very less about asp but the > basic concept behind. I got to make an online te...

HELP-HELP-HELP!!!!!!!!!!
On this site par example: http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,nl_nl_0_27443_rArNrNrNrN,00.html u have a 3d animation, like many other sites...but if i want to see this a new window opens and i see a icon with ared cross in it. also on sites with games i see this... What is my problem? I have winXP-Pro firewall is out and sec. is on low..... twan1@home.nl (Twan) writes: > On this site par example: > http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,nl_nl_0_27443_rArNrNrNrN,00.html > u have a 3d animation, like many other sites...but if i want to...

Help Help Help
Hello, I am a reluctant user of the website ntsearch.com. I accidentally download a Java program called "dict" from an ebook website to my XP and now every English words that I read from my computer has got a link with your web. I found it very frustrating when I noticed all the chinese characters I read from the web now become loads of question marks. I think it has a link with the program that I accidentally downloaded from that ebook website. How can I remove the so called "dict" program and other Java Scripts from my computer? This is very urgent and please answer my ...

Help, Help, Help
As you can probably gather im in need of help. I started a basic JAVA course a week ago as it seems like a very interesting subject. The problem in having is with the IDE we have been asked to use. We are using JCreator, but in order for it to work, we are required to install the Java software development kit and a class library which comes with the course book called avi with is a audio visual interface library which is supposed to make it easier for us to learn the fundimentals of JAVA without having to worry about the input/output. Anyways, I have installed the JAVA SDK from SUN website...

Help Help Help
Hello, I am a reluctant user of the website ntsearch.com. I accidentally download a Java program called "dict" from an ebook website to my XP and now every English words that I read from my computer has got a link with your web. I found it very frustrating when I noticed all the chinese characters I read from the web now become loads of question marks. I think it has a link with the program that I accidentally downloaded from that ebook website. How can I remove the so called "dict" program and other Java Scripts from my computer? This is very urgent and please answer my ...

Help Help Help
Q1 I want to know how to show the 8 bit planes of the image?? Q2 And also find edges of image by showing both edge magnitude and direction?? ...

help! help!! help!!!
x=[0 1 10] p=[100 80] how can I get A A=[3x(1) 2x(1) x(1) 1 0 0 0 0; 2x(1) x(1) 1 0 0 0 0 0; 3x(2) 2x(2) x(2) 1 -3x(2) -2x(2) -x(2) -1; 2x(2) x(2) 1 0 -2x(2) -x(2) -1 0; p(1)x(1) p(1) 0 0 -p(2)x(2) -p(2) 0 0; p(1) 0 0 0 -p(2) 0 0 0; 0 0 0 0 -p(2)x(3) -p(2) 0 0; 0 0 0 0 -p(3) 0 0 0; ] In article <fkus3t$11h$1@fred.mathworks.com>, Jim lei <redlightlike@mathworks.com> wrote: >x=[0 1 10] >p=[100 80] >how can I get ...

help help help
Sir, Am Avinash.T.J doing my btech AMRITA ...

Help! Help! Help!
My daughter has a Dell 2300 that is coincidentally 1 month past the warranty. It will start up and shut off within 1 minute. It doesn't matter if I boot from hard drive, floppy, go into safe mode, or go to setup screen. I don't know how to try to isolate the problem. (Mother board, power supply etc.) Any suggestions? sogs wrote: > My daughter has a Dell 2300 that is coincidentally 1 month past the > warranty. It will start up and shut off within 1 minute. It doesn't > matter if I boot from hard drive, floppy, go into safe mode, or go to > setup screen....

help! help!! help!!! me
hello if x=linspace(1,100,n); p=linspace(100,80,n-1); how can I get A A=[ x(1) 1 0 0 0 0 0 0...0 0; x(2) 1 -x(2) -1 0 0 0 0...0 0; p(1) 0 -p(2) 0 0 0 0 0...0 0; 0 0 x(3) 1 -x(3) -1 0 0...0 0; 0 0 p(2) 0 -p(3) 0 0 0...0 0; 0 0 0 0 x(4) 1 -x(4) -1...0 0; 0 0 0 0 p(3) 0 -p(4) 0...0 0; ....................................... 0 0 0 0 0 0...x(i) 1 -x(i) -1...0 0; 0 0 0 0 0 0...p(i-1) 0 -p(i-1) 0 ...0 0; ......................................... 0 0 0 0 0 0....x(n-1) 1 -x(n-1) -1; 0 0 0 0 0 0....p(n-2) 0 -p(n-1) 0; 0 0 0 0 0 0.... 0 0 p(n-1) 0; ] "Jim lei" <redlightlike@mathworks.c...

help help help
hi all im new to linux can anyone tell me the best place to get some help installing programs in linux or best books to read -- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- - peteware wrote: > hi all im new to linux can anyone tell me the best place to get some > help installing programs in linux or best books to read > > > -- > --------------------------------- --- -- - > Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final > Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet > -...

HELP HELP HELP...
Hi everybody there. I have created a GUI in MATLAB's guide application. In the GUI I am appearing on the screen a frame from a camera by pushing a button. My problem that sometimes the application works fine, but some others something is going wrong and I get the following error message: ??? Assignment has more non-singleton rhs dimensions than non-singleton subscripts Error in ==> LEDsFinal>txtGrabFrame_Callback at 164 A(width, i, Blue) = abs(fread(portCMU, 1, 'uint8'))/255; What does the error message mean? What seems to be the problem? How can I overco...

HELP HELP HELP
Hello everyone, I am a freshmen at a computer university and also new to C++ . I havent used C before either but been through PASCAL and GW-BASIC. Can someone please tell me the link to download the C++ compiler which can run on my Windows XP Professional Edition. Thanks. ByE. Yours forever in Digital Paradise uSmAn could have typed what u wanted in google. "Usman" <game_pk@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:buobgo$kaacm$1@ID-217624.news.uni-berlin.de... > Hello everyone, > I am a freshmen at a computer university and also new to C++ . I havent used > C before eit...

HELP! HELP! HELP
I hope someone out there can solve my mysterious problem. I have tried everything imaginable, even paid $35 to Microsoft to help me, but they were not able to figure out this problem: Here is the problem: I recently created a new database in Access 2002. I took data from an > access 97 database converted one of the tables to access 2002 and then > imported it into a new table in access 2002. but for some strange > reason, every once in a while the data changes to Japanese characters, > it only happens once in a while, but once it happens that record is > lost. i have tried...

help! help!! help!!! me #2
if d^4y/dx^4+d^2y/dx^2=0 y(0)=0,d^y(0)=0,d^2y(15)=100,d^3y(15)=80 how can I get y "Jim lei" <redlightlike@mathworks.com> wrote in message <fluj43$ii8$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > if d^4y/dx^4+d^2y/dx^2=0 > y(0)=0,d^y(0)=0,d^2y(15)=100,d^3y(15)=80 > > how can I get y You don't say at what value of x you wish to know y. So I'll assume that you need y at x = 0. y = 0 HTH, John (By the way, you might get better responses if you used a descriptive subject line.) On Jan 7, 8:20=A0pm, "Jim lei" <redlightl...@mathworks.com> wrote: > ...

Help Help Help
Hi everybody there... I want to develop an application that uses GUIDE and will have two windows figures(figure1 and figure2). In figure1 the user will write down in a text box a string. Then figure1 closes, load figure2 and use that string. Finally, I would like to ask how can I use mouse click event. I would really appreciate any help of you. Thank you in advance.. NM Hi, see examples in the documentation : http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/creating_guis/exampleindex.html J�r�me On Mar 14, 12:38 pm, nm <nmihaili...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi everybody ther...

Re: HELP HELP HELP!!!
Hi Elena and everyone requesting help, Everyone on SAS-L either requests or provides help, so a subject line like HELP is completely meaningless. And so is a subject like SIMPLE NEWBIE QUESTION; first of all a newbie would not be able to decide the question to be simple (and whether a question or problem is simple or not does not matter at all), secondly questions are mostly posed by newbies (and being a newbie does not help getting a question answered more quickly) and thirdly it concerns questions which are being asked (that is trivial, but which question?). Other examples of nonsense subje...

help help help ASAP
Hi Guys I need some1 to help me to code the inequality below % Data Parameters n = 5; x = 1.*ones(n,1); y = 4.*ones(n,1); z = 3.*ones(n,1); lambda = [20;30;25;45;35]; % I wrote Code for the function F(r) for each i % Decision Vriable L L is a vector for i = 1 : n that minimze the Inequality (x_i + y_i) * (sum F_i(r_i) , r_i = 0 : L_i) - z_i*lambda_i*F_i(L_i) > = x_i for each i so i need to write code for the inequality to obtain L for each i that minimizes the Inequality thank you Adel On 8/27/2011 10:58 PM, ADEL wrote: .... > so i n...

Web resources about - HELP! HELP! HELP! - comp.databases.pick

Help - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
United States Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions , commonly abbreviated "H.E.L.P." Text is available under the Creative ...

Man with cut throat begs for police help: Video
THIS is the dramatic moment a severely injured father begs police for help after being buried alive with his dead son.

Bracket creep fix 'would help wealthy men most'
A proposal to fix the problem of bracket creep would help the wealthy up to 10 times more than average wage earners, according to an analysis ...

Corner Brook school starts soup kitchen to help feed the hungry
... Heart of Mary school. Staff, students and volunteers with Immaculate Heart of Mary School are behind Corner Brook's latest effort to help the ...

Google helps lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people discover 'Places of Pride'
... be proud, my fellow humans! If you aren't sure where to go to publicly show your pride, don't worry; today, Google announces that it is helping ...

Mark Hamill, Goldie Hawn Help Clinton Raise $14.9 Million in January: FEC
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton ended Jan. with $32.9m cash-on-hand and through Jan. 31 had raised a total of $130.4m for her ...

The FBI just attacked Apple over its refusal to help it hack an iPhone
FBI Director James Comey has retaliated after Apple said it wasn't going to help unlock the iPhone of a suspected terrorist. A US judge has ...

Life-saving battlefield device now ready to help civilians
When a victim suffers a gunshot wound, seconds matter; and that's why a team in Oregon came up with a device to help mitigate excessive bleeding ...

Never Trust a Stingray to Help You Propose
Submitted by: (via McYay ) Tagged: photobomb , stingray , FAIL , aquarium , cute , engagement , dating Share on Facebook