passing xml documents

we are currently using D3 on unix (aix).  we've been presented a b2b
opportunity that would involve the passing of xml documents.  passing
documents from D3 to unix seems reasonable but, being a rookie with
D3, don't quite understand how to get the docs from unix into D3.  any
insights much appreciated...

thanks!

danny
0
drdanny
8/14/2008 2:56:40 PM
comp.databases.pick 5449 articles. 2 followers. ttrroonniicc (5) is leader. Post Follow

On Aug 14, 10:56=A0am, drdanny <drdanny2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> we are currently using D3 on unix (aix). =A0we've been presented a b2b
> opportunity that would involve the passing of xml documents. =A0passing
> documents from D3 to unix seems reasonable but, being a rookie with
> D3, don't quite understand how to get the docs from unix into D3. =A0any
> insights much appreciated...
>
> thanks!
>
> danny

You could put them into a unix directory.  Then on the D3 side, create
an item in your md that is a qpointer
Attribute 1 will be a q and attribute 3 will be the path to the unix
directory.  That will then treat the unix directory like it is a pick
file and then you can get the documents.

Eugene
0
eppick77
8/14/2008 4:50:31 PM
On Aug 14, 10:56=A0am, drdanny <drdanny2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> we are currently using D3 on unix (aix). =A0we've been presented a b2b
> opportunity that would involve the passing of xml documents. =A0passing
> documents from D3 to unix seems reasonable but, being a rookie with
> D3, don't quite understand how to get the docs from unix into D3. =A0any
> insights much appreciated...
>
> thanks!
>
> danny

Do you have do something with the data in the XML? That's a tougher
problem. How are you getting the documents to AIX? If you're working
with Ariba, I implemented cXML PunchOut back in 2000 with D3 and
FlashConnect. Unfortunately, the customer decided to deploy private
catalogs instead. More recently I've written a multi-carrier shipping
application that utilizes the XML APIs from UPS/FedEx/DHL so I have
some experience from both sides.

GlenB
0
GlenB
8/14/2008 8:46:17 PM

Is there no XML handler inside d3 ????    surely there must be ....

0
webmaster
8/15/2008 9:58:23 PM
 Nothing native, even from FlashCONNECT. I wrote a parser to do my own
integrations.

GlenB

<webmaster@adprecision.net> wrote in message

> Is there no XML handler inside d3 ????    surely there must be ....

0
GlenB
8/16/2008 1:30:28 AM
webmaster@adprecision.net wrote:

>Is there no XML handler inside d3 ????    surely there must be ....

Why "surely"?

And who is this shirley person anyway?

Tony
8/16/2008 11:09:20 AM
Glen hit it on the head.  The solution depends on a much more clearly
defined problem.

What do the documents look like and what do you need to do with them?
Do you need to process/validate a specific schema?
Do you need to return documents in a similar/matching format?
How do you expect to get the documents into AIX?
Do you have a component in mind for web services?
Might that component already have some reformatting capabilities?
Are responses expected synchronously or asynchronously?
Are you required to store the documents for some period of time?
Will you need to guarantee response within some time frame?

Depending on the nature of the documents the process of parsing and
building XML may be best left to an external process that does this
quickly, and you can leave all of the data manipulation to D3 and
BASIC.

If you just want to know how to move data from D3 to AIX, then Eugene
provided that answer.  You can either create a q-pointer to AIX so you
can do this:
  OPEN "MYQPOINTER" TO FV ELSE...
or you can go direct:
  OPEN "UNIX:/tmp/path" TO FV ELSE STOP
  READ XML FROM FV,'the_filename.xml' ELSE STOP
  XML = SWAP(XML,\status="new"\,\status="processed"\)
  WRITE XML ON FV,'response.xml'

However, if the inbound/outbound documents are going to be large, like
several megabytes, then you will want to import, process, and export
the data differently.  Just think of all of the frame thrashing that
will occur with large string manipulation.  That can be alleviated by
flashing the code, but it will still be rough on memory.

As you can see, there are way too many questions here.  It might be
"just XML" but it's getting more complicated all the time.  I welcome
you to email for free consultation (no, I won't charge you for it
later).  I'll try to help you to figure out what's required so that
you can do some more effective shopping for specific answers.

Regards,
Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com

0
Tony
8/16/2008 11:09:20 AM
On Aug 16, 12:09 pm, Tony Gravagno
<address.is.in.po...@removethis.com.invalid> wrote:
> webmas...@adprecision.net wrote:
> >Is there no XML handler inside d3 ????    surely there must be ....
>
> Why "surely"?
>
> And who is this shirley person anyway?

Surely there must be, or is D3 getting further behind the market
leading MV Data servers every year ??

In U2 it would be simple - prepare a map of the xml data to an MV
structure - either manually (easy) or witth the xml GUI, then in your
databasic, PrepareXML(), OpenXML(), then  read in the data and process
away ....

I agree the place to do this may be outside of the DB, but then again
it may be inside, very much depends on the circumstances and on the
non functional requirements IME.

Yes Shirley get everywhere doesn't she.
0
Symeon
8/18/2008 7:44:54 AM
On Aug 15, 10:58 pm, webmas...@adprecision.net wrote:
> Is there no XML handler inside d3 ????    surely there must be ....

Sorry - this was actually me posting, i access this group via google
groups and i have a variety of google logins depending on the task in
hand - either a webmaster or a pick spammer  ;)

Symeon.
0
Symeon
8/18/2008 7:49:18 AM
"Symeon" <symeonb@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Aug 16, 12:09 pm, Tony Gravagno
> <address.is.in.po...@removethis.com.invalid> wrote:
>> webmas...@adprecision.net wrote:
>> >Is there no XML handler inside d3 ????    surely there must be ....
>>
>> Why "surely"?
>>
>> And who is this shirley person anyway?

> Surely there must be, or is D3 getting further behind the market
> leading MV Data servers every year ??

 Basically, yeah. Of course, you can compile in your own C functions but
since D3 is statically linked to the entire libc it's hard to avoid
declaration conflicts when you try to link in another library. I know.. I
tried that with Xerces back in 2K and pulled out a lot of hair.

> In U2 it would be simple - prepare a map of the xml data to an MV
> structure - either manually (easy) or witth the xml GUI, then in your
> databasic, PrepareXML(), OpenXML(), then  read in the data and process
> away ....

  I could put together something similar, but it'd be far from enterprise
class. My D3 BASIC parser does the job well enough to deal with shipping
integration and various other XML integration tasks. There are other
developers that have written parsers too and I wish we could all get
together and present one to RD for inclusion. XML processing and e-mail
integration is something that should be native to every current MV DBMS
release. My parser is far from SOA quality. I started a project for OpenQM
before the girls were born and hit a few snags with memory allocation in the
DOM when the docs got to a few megs in size. I've been pondering a Perl
wrapper for BASIC lately to help speed up things @ work and to also properly
handle namespace checking. Of course, user function calls to Xerces would be
considerably more efficient and easier to work with. The problem I run into
is the case where one situation needs a SAX parser while another benefits
from a DOM. Many MV developers aren't used to an event driven data model and
the DOM "feels" better. Unfortunately, there is a point at which the DOM can
be too large to be usable in a specific setup.

> I agree the place to do this may be outside of the DB, but then again
> it may be inside, very much depends on the circumstances and on the
> non functional requirements IME.

 Inside is definately more efficient, provided the "inside" method doesn't
weigh down the solution compared to external.

> Yes Shirley get everywhere doesn't she.

GlenB

0
GlenB

Refer to an XML document from within an XML document
Is there an "XML" way to reference an XML document from within an XML document? How do I do this? TIA, - Manish Manish Hatwalne wrote: > Is there an "XML" way to reference an XML document from within an XML > document? How do I do this? XLink: http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/ XPointer framework: http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/ http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-element/ XInclude: http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/ Check out yourself which of them comes close to what you understand "reference an XML document" to do. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaS...

Help on including one XML document within another XML document using XML Schemas
Hi I would like to specify an XML schema that would allow an XML document to be included within another XML document. The following example schema gives an idea of what we're trying to achieve ServiceResponse.xsd -------------------- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"> <xs:element name="serviceResponse" type="ServiceResponse"/> <xs:complexType name="ServiceResponse&quo...

Using XML documents as a database?
Hello I am looking for an aplication that could query XML documents. Somethin like Access for windows but with the ability to treat XML documents as a database would be nice. Or on the other hand a tool to map XML documents into a database for processing and if posible to dump the modified information in the XML documents. Alfonso Esteban Gonzalez Sencion wrote: > Hello > > I am looking for an aplication that could query XML documents. Somethin > like Access for windows but with the ability to treat XML documents as a > database would be nice. > > Or on the othe...

how to convert XML document to several XML documents in a new format
I'm migrating data into a content management system and in order to use the import tool provided I need to change the format of a large xml file and convert each entry to a seperate xml file. This is what I have now: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <dataroot xmlns:od="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:officedata" generated="2005-04-18T12:05:51"> <Checklist> <ID>1</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> &...

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

how to convert XML document to several XML documents in a new format #2
I'm migrating data into a content management system and in order to use the import tool provided I need to change the format of a large xml file and convert each entry to a seperate xml file. This is what I have now: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <dataroot xmlns:od="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:officedata" generated="2005-04-18T12:05:51"> <Checklist> <ID>1</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> &...

Database vs XML document archive
I'm trying to understand the differences between a XML document archive versus a relational data base. What are their advantages and disadvantages? - Hallgeir I've not looked under the hood of an XML document archive, but from my casual reading and my working indirectly with with them: * they are not relational databases * they do not have support for SQL; "querying" capability is probably limited to what the vendor provides in a proprietary API I hope someone else will respond to your quest and provide a better response than mine. enrique wrote: > I've no...

Expert panel podcast (MP3) about XQuery, native XML databases, SQL/XML databases
WebServicesSummit.com has released two podcasts of a panel discussion with Ron Bourret (XML-DBMS), Dana Florescu (Oracle), Michael Kay (Saxonica), Jonathan Robie (DataDirect) and Michael Rys (Microsoft). The discussion include XQuery, native XML databases, SQL/XML databases and related topics. If you don't have an iPod, you can listen with any program that plays MP3 audio (e.g., QuickTime Player, Windows Media Player). The part 1 podcast focuses primarily on XQuery (running time: 34:03). The part 2 podcast covers native XML databases and XML-enabled SQL databases. Running time ...

[podcast] Expert panel discussion of XQuery, native XML databases, SQL/XML databases
WebServicesSummit.com has released two podcasts of a panel discussion with Ron Bourret, Dana Florescu, Michael Kay, Jonathan Robie and Michael Rys. The discussion topics include XQuery, native XML databases, SQL/XML databases, XSLT and related topics. The part 1 podcast (MP3 audio) focuses primarily on XQuery (running time: 34:03). The part 2 podcast covers native XML databases and XML-enabled SQL databases. Running time is 22:46. http://www.webservicessummit.com/People/XQueryGuruPanel.htm Or podcast RSS feeds: XML, SOA and web services podcasts http://www.WebServicesSummit.com/Channels/XML...

[podcast] Expert panel discusses XQuery, XQJ, native XML databases, SQL/XML databases
WebServicesSummit.com has released two podcasts of a panel discussion with Ron Bourret (XML-DBMS), Dana Florescu (Oracle), Michael Kay (Saxonica), Jonathan Robie (DataDirect) and Michael Rys (Microsoft). The discussion include XQuery, XQJ, native XML databases, SQL/XML databases and related topics. If you don't have an iPod, you can listen with any program that plays MP3 audio (e.g., QuickTime Player, Windows Media Player). The part 1 podcast focuses primarily on XQuery (running time: 34:03). The part 2 podcast covers native XML databases and XML-enabled SQL databases. Running...

Tools to extract data from SQL database and convert it into XML & insert XML data into SQL databases
As the subject said I am searching for a tool to extract data from SQL databases (e.g. MySQL) and convert it to an XML document. And vice versa a tool which enables me to insert a given XML data document into a (My)SQL database? Harry "Harry Zoroc" <harryzz@vodafone.com> wrote in message news:ccuvrq$dk$06$1@news.t-online.com... > As the subject said I am searching for a tool to extract data from SQL databases (e.g. MySQL) > and convert it to an XML document. www.intsysr.com/odbc2xml.htm > And vice versa a tool which enables me to insert a given XML data documen...

I've just used the file command on four files of RDF-XML with the following output: augtfidf.rdf: XML document text kyoto.rdf: XML document text stuff.rdf: XML document text tfidf.rdf: XML document text What does it mean that one of them has an extra space between "XML" and "document"? -- The kid's a hot prospect. He's got a good head for merchandising, an agent who can take you downtown and one of the best urine samples I've seen in a long time. [Dead Kennedys t-shirt] On 16.10.2012 16:06, Adam Funk ...

HELP-How does Apache server passes an XML document to a CGI?
I am trying to setup an Apache web server to accept XML document and use a CGI to process the content of the XML file. My questions are: * When a client performs a POST to the server; assume that the content of the post is an XML file, where does Apache place the file? * How do I setup Apache so that when it receives an XML file, it will invoke a particular CGI so that the XML file can be consumed? * Is there a way to configure Apache so that it does NOT use disk space to store the received XML file, instead, keep it in memory and pass it to my XML file? Thanks for any lead. Terry Jones w...

Does anyone know where is the Berkeley XML Database documentation for its Python API?
I have been looking for python API documentation of BDBXML for quite a few days but I could not find it. Anyone has any idea where it is? Or if there is not such a thing at all, how could I get started? In addition, in the previous posts I have seen some grumble about python API's lack of XMLexception and some basic programming and debugging elements for project engineering. Are they added or fixed in the lastest version of BSBXML? Thank you for help. There are no official/un-official documentation for bdbxml python api AFAIK= !!! If you want some examples look in "dbxml/examp...

Example of an XML document with an inline xml schema
Hi All, I'm looking for a little example of an xml document which is validated using an inline xml schema. I'm a bit of a newbie, and I'm finding this to be a bit of a mind bender, so an example or some pointers which show me how to achieve this would be much appreciated. I look forward to any help or advice any one can offer. Naran Here's a trivial example <arbitrarytag xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="#local"> ...

Merging XML documents into a single XML file
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml file called build_log.xml, which is produced using an ANT Logger. Then using XSL etc I want to format all of this into a pretty html format! Does anyone have any sample code they could shove my way?? Many thanks, Danny Knights daniel.knights@sunderland.ac.uk schreef: > Hello, > > I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am > having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml > file called bui...

q) XML Schema and valid XML documents
Wikipedia provides the following definition for valid XML document (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML): it contains a reference to a Document Type Definition (DTD), and that its elements and attributes are declared in that DTD and follow the grammatical rules for them that the DTD specifies. There is no reference to XML Schema in the above defintion. I am presuming that this is a dated definition for valid XML document and that an XML document that has an XML Schema associated with it is also a valid XML document. Kindly confirm. Thanks, Ramesh In article &l...

Validating parsed XML document against XML-schema
*PROBLEM: how to validate parsed XML document against (parsed) XML-schema. *IN: XML document as org.w3c.dom.Document, XML-schema as stream *OUT: information if document is valid against schema. If document is not valid DETAILED information about ALL errors (especially: node that caused problem). *Additional information: - validation is performed quite often, - XML-document object is changed quite often, - XML-Schema is fixed. - XML-document doesn't contain information about related XML-schema (attr xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation) - XML-Sche...

Web resources about - passing xml documents - comp.databases.pick

Killian documents controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The provider of the documents, Lt. Col. Bill Burkett , claims to have burned the originals after faxing copies to CBS. CBS News producer Mary ...

Julie Bishop 'complained' after pat down at Melbourne Airport, documents show
[ Brisbane Times - Text-only index ] Julie Bishop 'complained' after pat down at Melbourne Airport, documents show Date: February 20 2016 Heath ...

Julie Bishop 'complained' after pat down at Melbourne Airport, documents show
Correspondence between federal bureaucrats states that Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop &quot;complained&quot; about her treatment by security ...

Julie Bishop 'complained' after pat down at Melbourne Airport, documents show
[ The Age - Text-only index ] Julie Bishop 'complained' after pat down at Melbourne Airport, documents show Date: February 21 2016 Heath Aston ...

Julie Bishop 'complained' after pat down at Melbourne Airport, documents show
Correspondence between federal bureaucrats states that Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop "complained" about her treatment by security staff ...

National Disability Insurance Scheme: Treasury considered private investors to help fund project, documents ...
Treasury looked at offloading some financial responsibility for the $22 billion NDIS to the private sector, FOI documents show.

“Locky” crypto-ransomware rides in on malicious Word document macro
... depends on a rather low-tech installation method to take root in a user's system: it arrives courtesy of a malicious macro in a Word document. ...

Five tools for recovering corrupted Word documents
You’ve been working on it forever, and had almost finished, but… Disaster. That all-important Word document no longer opens. If you’re using ...

Delhi HC refuses NIA probe in JNU case - Business Standard News New Document New Document Widgets Magazine ...
The Delhi High Court on Tuesday refused an NIA probe into the alleged anti-national activities at the Jawaharlal Nehru University campus. Justice ...

This guy wants to set millions of CIA documents free
A huge cache of declassified CIA documents are technically open to the public, but too difficult for most to access. A Kickstarter campaign wants ...