Windows based software for running the PICK/BASIC program ?

Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run
PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version.
I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same.
It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX

Thanks in advance
Vinod
0
skvinod1
8/19/2004 5:10:55 AM
comp.databases.pick 5449 articles. 2 followers. ttrroonniicc (5) is leader. Post Follow

You can download a trial version of Universe from IBM

https://www-927.ibm.com/software/data/u2/support/u2techconnect/uv10pe.asp

"vinod" <skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run
> PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version.
> I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same.
> It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX
>
> Thanks in advance
> Vinod

0
Jim
8/19/2004 1:10:45 PM
"Jim La Ruffa" <jlaruffa@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<V5WdncxUeID4O7ncRVn-ig@comcast.com>...
> You can download a trial version of Universe from IBM
>
> https://www-927.ibm.com/software/data/u2/support/u2techconnect/uv10pe.asp
>

> "vinod" <skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run
> > PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version.
> > I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same.
> > It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Vinod

What a helpful crew we all are.

Robert Cowen
0
robertc
8/20/2004 11:54:54 AM
skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com (vinod) wrote in message news:<851afc0a.0408182110.5f5180f3@posting.google.com>...
> Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run
> PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version.
> I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same.
> It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX
>
> Thanks in advance
> Vinod

Please, try BRIZ. http://infotools.ru
Free for trail :) without restrictions.
Online documentation on http://briz.infotools.ru
About com/ole http://infotools.ru/briz/html/002/prog9uau.htm

Best regards, Grigory
INFOTOOLS
0
mytmppost

Windows based software for running the PICK/BASIC program ? #2
Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version. I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same. It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX Thanks in advance Vinod skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com (vinod) wrote in message news:<851afc0a.0408182111.4ac85874@posting.google.com>... > Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run > PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version. > I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same. > It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX > > Thanks in advance > Vinod Not sure about there being any freeware, but I can sell you a product. Perhaps you could shar your requirements and then I could make suggestions? Let me know Nodrog skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com (vinod) wrote in message news:<851afc0a.0408182111.4ac85874@posting.google.com>... > Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run > PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version. > I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same. > It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX > > Thanks in advance > Vinod Vinod Have a look at jBASE at www.jBASE.com where you can get a free download for developers. Both Windows and Linux versions are available. Uniquely jBASE is native to the operating system of choice. Enjoy. Robert Cowen ...

Run a Windows program from Pick Basic
I know this has been explained before but I can't find the thread in a Google search. How do you execute a Windows program from a Pick Basic program? Platform is D3Linux 7.4.0 "Ricky" <fawnridge@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<2j03itFr9b7rU1@uni-berlin.de>... > I know this has been explained before but I can't find the thread in a > Google search. > How do you execute a Windows program from a Pick Basic program? > Platform is D3Linux 7.4.0 In BRIZ (infotools.ru) the following ways are possible: CALL GPTERM.ShellExecuteEx([VERB=...

Pick a PICK
Hi, I last programmed in PICK on an Ultimate mini back in the late 80's and early 90's. I am thinking of brushing up on my PICK skills and am wondering: 1) If you think there is any life left in PICK: are there any sales of PICK-based systems to *new* client companies these days, or is it all legacy support? 2) What PICK vendor offering you personally recommend (support, financial health of vendor) Thanks. #1: I know that there are software vendors with multivalue-based applications who are actively selling their apps to new end users. #2: I'm biased, but I would definitely have to recommend Intersystem's Cach=E9 database. It's an actively developed and enhanced modern product from a healthy company that gives you many more features out of the box than any other vender's offering. On Sep 7, 9:55=A0am, Hlafordlaes <hlafordl...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I last programmed in PICK on an Ultimate mini back in the late 80's > and early 90's. I am thinking of brushing up on my PICK skills and am > wondering: > > 1) If you think there is any life left in PICK: are there any sales of > PICK-based systems to *new* client companies these days, or is it all > legacy support? > 2) What PICK vendor offering you personally recommend (support, > financial health of vendor) > > Thanks. On Sep 7, 10:47=A0am, edclark <edcl...@aol.com> wrote: > I'm biased, but I ...

After create a Program with Lab VIEW using Windows based software; Is it possible to interface this program with Linux based operating system?
Hi, I am trying to use Lab VIEW (Windows based operating system) to program my application. After that this has to be interface with a Linux based operating system. Is this possible? Or I need to create my programme with Linux based Lab VIEW software? Second thing is I want to programme a multi task application (Temperature sensing- ambient and human body using normal temperature sensor and infrared temperature sensor respectively, Humidity, Fire and smoke detection using respective sensor, Image processing using a 360� camera-attached speaker and m...

[News] Debian Runs Windows Programs Also (Windows Can't Run Linux Programs)

Old Pick Software Material
Greetings, I posted a message about old Pick Hits, ... , etc... Little more detail: I am looking for a software product that was written prior April 1986. Trying to help out a friend. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4835683.html If you look at the diragrams, you can see we have been doing this very eary in the Pick community. Abstract: An expert information system with which a decision maker in the construction, or a related industry, can generate a decision record and related control instructions in a facile manner without significant omissions while ensuring that substantially all of the options available for making the decisions have been considered. The expert system includes a microcomputer which executes a system control program to select information units from the expertise of a data base and to concentrate individual information units until an entire decision record has been generated. The process is enhanced by a multiwindowed display which displays possible selections from the expert data base while contrasting that data with data in another window having a list of data indicating the decisions or selections already made. A display pointer with a controllable position is employed to select lines and phrases of the expert information from that portion of the data base displayed in the selection window. The selection of such informaiton causes the line or phrase from the data base, an information unit, to be transferred to the...

Looking for PICK or PICK-Like database with no charge for unlimited users
Healthpac Computer Systems has been with Pick Systems / Raining Data for 15 years, but we can no longer afford the user licensing fees at large installations. We are currently bidding on a 350-400 user site, to install our Practice Management and Billing suite of applications, and the seat cost is pricing us out of the market. Are their any alternatives? Please respond to rob@healthpac.net or bdc@healthpac.net with any suggested alternatives to Raining Data D3. Please bear in mind we cannot just throw out our legacy applications or stop supporting our existing 150 client sites. So any new database we go to must be very Pick-like. Thanks, Rob Bergman Rob, Take a look at OpenQM, they have a very reasonably priced per seat licensed product the can be very Pick like. They also have an open source version but be very wary of the GPL agreement. Failure to comply could result in the requirement of your applications needing to be open source as well. I don't know how easy it is to convert you applications but you can post queries on the Google group. Check out openqm.com Regards, Dale Rob Bergman wrote: > Healthpac Computer Systems has been with Pick Systems / Raining Data for 15 > years, but we can no longer afford the user licensing fees at large > installations. We are currently bidding on a 350-400 user site, to install > our Practice Management and Billing suite of applications, and the seat cos...

Newbie pick basic programming help
I'm a total programming infant and need some help to administer a D3 Windows database. I'd like to take a particular field in 2000 records (a get-list) in our customer file and delete the data in that particular field. We don't have a test server so before I do something irreversible I wonder if somebody could look at this program and comment. There may be an easier was to do this but this is what I came up with. I have compiled it so it least the syntax works. Thanks for your help. :ED MODS CM-FIELD-FIX top 001 * DELETE DATA IN SINGLE FIELD IN CM 002 OPEN 'CUSTOMER*GC' TO CM ELSE STOP 003 EXECUTE 'GET-LIST J' 004 EOF=0 005 LOOP 006 READNEXT ID ELSE EOF = 1 007 UNTIL EOF DO 008 READ CM.REC FROM CM,ID THEN 009 CM.REC<49> = '' 010 WRITE CM.REC ON CM,ID 011 END 012 REPEAT I'd change line 8 to be : 008 READU CM.REC FROM CM,ID THEN Provided your "J" list is a list of the records you want to operate on, should work fine If you want to test, just make a copy of the file, change program accordingly & give it a rip Could avoid a program entirely with an editor prestore, but this should work fine :-) Good luck on your journey to mastery .... you would appear to be well on your way, PROVIDED this field isn't cross referenced on indexed in a related file :-) On Jul 17, 10:39=A0pm, Joe Renaud <j...@goadco.com> wrote: > I'm a total programming infant and n...

Pick Databases
Hi all! I just came across a helpful site where you can sign up for a free monthly newsletter at http://www.ellsys.com/helpful_hints.htm and/or free software at http://www.ellsys.com/free_software.htm. This guy is in the consulting business and has over 21 years experience with PICK! He helped me immensely with a problem I had with a nagging F: correlative. Just thought I would share this with you.... Patti Hi there all you football lover's. I just came across this great club called Manchester United. They are great to watch and they really helped me tremendo...

Running A Windows Program Based on File Type
I'm building a Perl/Tk application which will build a series of html documents. After the documents are created, I would like the index page to be opened in the default Web browser. I can do this on my machine usine Win32::Process, since I know the path to Mozilla. Is there some way to cause the default browser, regardless of what it is or where it's located, to open and display the page? Or for that matter, to open any file in the proper program, based on file type association?? Thanks, George George wrote: > I'm building a Perl/Tk application which will build a...

unknown secrets of pick to keep your database running
you can write data on the fly from a dictionary so you can write programs to update databases from simple selects in fact i have never done this but often thought about it it is available through sql but i'm not sure if you can write directly from a dictionary (within code) it could be damaging to your database but very good for transaction logging i'm sure i have set up transaction logging systems before using this approach ...

PICK BASIC Unidata programming
I sure hope this is a good place to post this? Anyways, I have recently started at a new company which uses A Unidata/PICK/BASIC system. I have absolutely 0 programming experience and my fiirst class (in Denver, CO. at RocketSoftware) for the intro to Unidata Pick/BASIC programminng isn't scheduled until january :( Soooo... I am hoping that I can find help here during my first few months and try to mange to do as much reading as possible in order to stay afloat. I have found a few online publications (including Sisk's book on the subject) that I think should help. If anyone here can help me with the following "project" that I am using as practice I would be forever grateful! here is what I am trying to do; I need to create a routine (program) in our PICK/BASIC system that does the following; allows a user to input two dates. =95 Dates have to be valid =95 Both dates have to be greater than the current date (today) and less than a year from the current date =95 The second date has to be greater than the first date I have done a few smaller practice projects, but I guess I have not gotten to the chapter that covers what I would GUESS is using the OCONV tool to convert the dates and then somehow check to make sure the rules above are enforced. I am hoping that by seeing this code written out I can use it as a way to learn some of the syntax, and get a better understanding of how to do something simple like this Like I said, ANY help w...

Pick-Based PCR/Source Control/PM Software
At one point awhile back, I ran across (in Spectrum Magazine, I believe) a company that provided a suite of software that provided PCR, source control, project management, etc software and I believe it was Pick-based. Not that it matters whether or not it is Pick-based, but is anyone familiar with this company or know of another resource we can tie into our D3 system that provides these functions? Thanks, Roger Roger Grosser wrote: >At one point awhile back, I ran across (in Spectrum Magazine, I >believe) a company that provided a suite of software that provided >PCR, source control, project management, etc software and I believe it >was Pick-based. > >Not that it matters whether or not it is Pick-based, but is anyone >familiar with this company or know of another resource we can tie into >our D3 system that provides these functions? Susan Joslyn at sjplus.com has PRC. However, it's based on SB+ which is no longer supported for D3. Check with Susan for options -- other than migration from D3 of course. :) The May/June issue of Spectrum Magazine has an article by Brian Leech on version control using CVS. The next article will cover Subversion which I believe has pretty much taken over as the standard in this area. http://www.intl-spectrum.com/Magazine/tabid/73/Default.aspx HTH T That's the one I saw, Tony. Thanks very much! Roger On Jun 25, 11:33 am, Tony Gravagno <address.is.in.po......

Picking always pick up circles
Hi, I'm writing a paint program that can draw different objects like lines, polygons, rectangles, circles. The problem is that whenever there is a circle on the scene, picking will always return that circle as being hit. The code for picking is : GLuint selectBuf[SIZE]; GLint hits; GLint viewport[4]; glGetIntegerv (GL_VIEWPORT, viewport); glSelectBuffer (SIZE, selectBuf); glRenderMode(GL_SELECT); glInitNames(); glPushName(0); glMatrixMode (GL_SELECT); glPushMatrix (); glLoadIdentity (); /* create 5x5 pixel picking region near cursor loc...

PICK to MSWord, or MSWord to PICK
Has anyone have any experience at converting PICK files (PEQS hold entries, et al) to a MSWord document, or vice-versa. And/or, use of MSWORD escape characters being incorporated in a PICK document, for font control, etc. Thanks, in advance, for your assistance. JJCSR wrote: > Has anyone have any experience at converting PICK files (PEQS hold > entries, et al) to a MSWord document, or vice-versa. And/or, use of > MSWORD escape characters being incorporated in a PICK document, for > font control, etc. > > Thanks, in advance, for your assistance. > If I understand it correctly (going out on thin ice, that) a .DOC document is more like a binary picture than a text document the way you and I might think of it. Art Hi Jim - I have extensive experience integrating Word, Excel, and Outlook with MV environments. The following link is to a product that is no longer offered, but it gives you an idea of what's possible: removethisNebula-RnD.com/products/doc.htm You don't want to put escape codes into your data, but you certainly can pull data fields into Word templates or build Word docs from scratch. My code creates a new Word document, pulls in text, and formats it using the Document Object Model in Word. These days if I were to re-write NebulaDoc I would probably do it using XML rather that integrating directly into the Word DOM. I just did this with Excel, so now I can use simple calls from BASIC to crea...

$1 picked up; $2 not picked up
OS: solaris; shell: ksh my UNIX shell script contains I have the following sequence of isql commands isql -S ${DBServer} -D murex2000_${DBName} -P ${DBPasswd} -U ${DBLogin} -s, << EO declare @desk varchar(8), @purge_date char(8), @row1 int, @row2 int set nocount on select @purge_date=convert(char(8),dateadd(dd,-${2},getdate()),112) select @row1=count(*) from A_DBF where (M__ALIAS_='$1') and M__DATE_<=@purge_date and (M_INSTR1='$4') print "table A_DBF: %1! rows. table B_DBF: %2! rows. ", @row1, @row2 go EOF } note: @desk = DESKA; @purge_date: today'...

Pick on Windows
Is there still a copy of Pick or Unidata available for (free) download for personal use that will run on Windows NT or 2000? I seem to recall a while ago that there was. I really could use it now that I have time to play with the product. My apologies in advance if this topic has been asked, answered and flogged to death before. Thanks Elio Have a look here: https://www-927.ibm.com/software/data/u2/support/u2techconnect/udt6pe.asp Ron White "Elio" <elio.mazzucco@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:o4Upb.18263$mB5.554819@news20.bellglobal.com... > Is th...

Can run java program on UNIX update Access database on Windows ?
I have below run time error java access_update OK - Build connection Setup con Error: java.lang.NullPointerException null java.lang.NullPointerException at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.initialize(JdbcOdbcDriver.java:436) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.connect(JdbcOdbcDriver.java:153) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:512) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171) at access_update.main(access_update.java:36) Source code /* access_update.java 2006/08/14 eric.leung * * Source : HO...

Pick
Pick is dead - move on people. Most vars are stuck in the 80s mindset of they know best, products are not developed and its cumbersome to interface into other software packages. Leave whilst you still have chance. "Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer" One who hides his face must have a reason to be ashamed of his face. BobJ <nobody@cypherpunks.to> wrote in message news:20050403121553.BAE341704A@mail.cypherpunks.to... > Pick is dead - move on people. Most vars are stuck in the 80s mindset of > they know best, products are not developed and its cumbersome to interface > into other software packages. > > Leave whilst you still have chance. > What motivates you to post this? Ignorance? If IBM calls you, willing to give you that "dead" U2 business, make sure to tell them about this "idiot" in Mansfield Ohio who will be glad to take it off their hands. BTW, who needs other software packages when you have Pick? Henry Keultjes Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer wrote: > Pick is dead - move on people. Most vars are stuck in the 80s mindset of they know best, products are not developed and its cumbersome to interface into other software packages. > > Leave whilst you still have chance. Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer wrote: > Pick is dead - move on people. Most vars are stuck in the 80s > mindset of they know best, products a...

License and software to develop a new version of MultiValue/Pick Database Operating Environment
Does anyone know a company who would be interested in licensing their version of MultiValue/Pick for the purpose of developing a new version of the database operating environment? Our company, Racine Enterprises Inc., is interested in talking this over with someone. We'd like to start with an SMA-standard version, particularly like Mentor/UniVision, Sequioa/mvEnterprise, or Ultimate +, in a Unix or Linux version. We have some ideas for a great system and want to explore the development and marketing possibilities. Please contact us with any relevant information. On Feb 19, 4:02=A0am, Paddy <j...@purveyorsoftware.com> wrote: > Does anyone know a company who would be interested in licensing their > version of MultiValue/Pick for the purpose of developing a new version > of the database operating environment? Why not just grab a copy of the open source version of QM and start there? -- Kevin Powick Hi Paddy, Unless you are really going off in some other direction, rather than starting again, wouldn't you be better off working with us to incorporate whatever new features you are after into QM? On the other hand, if you choose to use our open source as a base, be very careful of the GPL rules. It would be nice ot have some clues about what you are wanting to do. That way, apart from anything else, you might get some feedback on whether there is a potential market. Martin Phillips, Ladybridge Systems On Feb 20...

xHarbour apps that run in Windows XP using Advantage Databse Engine do not run in Windows 7 64 bit environment while using Advantage Database Engine
I finally go my Windows XP computer to connect to ADS and it works fine now= just by creating an ADS.INI file and placing the file in the directory of = the client that contains the xHarbour executable. Before I did that the cli= ent computer could not connect to the ADS files. However, when I try to run the same application from a Windows 7 (64 bit) c= omputer, the application cannot open up any xHarbour files unless the files= are NOT managed by ADS. Can anyone help me with this problem? Hi did you try to disable windows 7 uac or call ADSRIGHTSCHECK( ADS_IGNORERIGH= TS )=2...

SN#20468 Callidus Picks Sun to Run Sales Performance Management Software On-demand
SYSTEM NEWS FOR SUN USERS Vol 126 Issue 3 2008-08-18 Article 20468 from section "Partners" A Gartner Case Study This Gartner Case Study explores how Callidus, which offers sales performance management software, went about taking its applications on-demand, with emphasis on the infrastructure and services required to run in a high-volume production environment with very high utilization rates and uptime. Gartner looks at how Callidus went about choosing an infrastructure and IT services provider to operate its software as a ...

Software Report [Intel-Based Macs May Run Windows
July 20th, 2005 Intel-Based Macs May Run Windows by Associate Editor Narasu Rebbapragada Apple's decision to abandon IBM PowerPC chips in favor of processors from Intel raises the possibility of new, affordable Apple computers that could boot both Mac OS X and Windows. "Apple will not do anything to prevent it," says Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director with Jupiter Research in New York. (Today, Macs can run Windows only on a sluggish x86 emulator called Virtual PC.) At the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in June, CEO Steve Jobs said t...

PICK changed from 1-based to 0-based?
Someone on Stack Overflow pointed to page 27 of the Forth-79 standard, https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/lnmaurer/web/forth/Forth-79.pdf It indicates that PICK is 1-based, e.g. it says "2 PICK is equivalent to OVER". These days, PICK is 0-based, i.e. OVER is equivalent to 1 PICK. I realize PICK is frowned on regardless, but did the Forth world really accept a breaking change like this? Or is the document wrong compared to actual practice at the time? On 12/28/2013 9:39 PM, Paul Rubin wrote: > Someone on Stack Overflow pointed to page 27 of the Forth-79 standard, &g...

Web resources about - Windows based software for running the PICK/BASIC program ? - comp.databases.pick

Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Computer software or simply software is any set of machine-readable instructions that directs a computer 's processor to perform specific operations. ...

Questioning Software
Given that I resigned a couple weeks ago and am looking for new work , I've been asking myself a lot of questions about what I want to do next. ...

Lessons Learned by a Solo Entrepreneur - Software by Rob
... is written by Rob Walling, a serial web entrepreneur. He writes about startups, internet marketing, SEO, and other topics that interest software ...

Renaissance Software
We help individuals and companies to apply state of the art design and process technologies to both embedded and non-embedded software development. ...

Business of Software
We are gearing up for another awe-inspiring, thought-engaging, and actionable conference in 2012. It is our vision to stir up innovation and ...

Scaling Software Agility - Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell
Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell

Software on the Side
While I was at Ancestry.com, we used the StrengthsFinder assessment to give us insights into ourselves. If you haven’t taken it, I highly recommend ...

The Famous Software Company - Development Blog
A year ago I was looking for an app that enabled me to stream audio from iTunes to my iPhone. I was sharing an apartment at the time, and in ...

A Software Insider's Point of View
Innovative CIO’s Betting On Disruptive Technologies That Impact Enterprise Business Value In the Four Personas of the Next Gen CIO published ...