Windows based software for running the PICK/BASIC program ? #2

Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run
PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version.
I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same.
It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX

Thanks in advance
Vinod
0
skvinod1
8/19/2004 5:11:13 AM
comp.databases.pick 5449 articles. 2 followers. ttrroonniicc (5) is leader. Post Follow

skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com (vinod) wrote in message news:<851afc0a.0408182111.4ac85874@posting.google.com>...
> Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run
> PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version.
> I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same.
> It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX
>
> Thanks in advance
> Vinod

Not sure about there being any freeware, but I can sell you a product.

Perhaps you could shar your requirements and then I could make suggestions?

Let me know

Nodrog
0
nodrog_pdc
8/19/2004 9:36:41 AM
skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com (vinod) wrote in message news:<851afc0a.0408182111.4ac85874@posting.google.com>...
> Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run
> PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version.
> I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same.
> It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX
>
> Thanks in advance
> Vinod

Vinod

Have a look at jBASE at www.jBASE.com where you can get a free
download for developers. Both Windows and Linux versions are
available. Uniquely jBASE is native to the operating system of choice.
Enjoy.

Robert Cowen
0
robertc
8/19/2004 10:12:29 AM
robertc@jbase.com (Robert Cowen) wrote in message news:<93b11cef.0408190212.4d130715@posting.google.com>...
> skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com (vinod) wrote in message news:<851afc0a.0408182111.4ac85874@posting.google.com>...
> > Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run
> > PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version.
> > I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same.
> > It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX

Vinod

Revelation at http://www.revsoft.co.uk have a free trial version of
their software (OpenInsight) for download. When it comes time to
deploy, single user copies of the software are license fee free so you
could give away thousands of copies of your application as a cover
mount CD!

There's also a Linux version available if you prefer a non Windows
based solution.

Regards

Andrew
0
amcauley
8/19/2004 4:10:39 PM
Andrew McAuley wrote:

> robertc@jbase.com (Robert Cowen) wrote in message news:<93b11cef.0408190212.4d130715@posting.google.com>...
>
>>skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com (vinod) wrote in message news:<851afc0a.0408182111.4ac85874@posting.google.com>...
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run
>>>PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version.
>>>I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same.
>>>It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX
>

> Vinod
>
> Revelation at http://www.revsoft.co.uk have a free trial version of
> their software (OpenInsight) for download. When it comes time to
> deploy, single user copies of the software are license fee free so you
> could give away thousands of copies of your application as a cover
> mount CD!
>
> There's also a Linux version available if you prefer a non Windows
> based solution.

jBASE have a downloadable free trial of their Linux version. And I think
you can get a single-user Winblows version as well.

Luke
0
Luke
8/20/2004 2:21:14 AM
you can also get a 3 user evaluation version of reality from northgate.

jay
0
jporsha924

Windows based software for running the PICK/BASIC program ?
Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version. I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same. It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX Thanks in advance Vinod You can download a trial version of Universe from IBM https://www-927.ibm.com/software/data/u2/support/u2techconnect/uv10pe.asp "vinod" <skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com> wrote in message news:851afc0a.0408182110.5f5180f3@posting.google.com... > Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run > PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version. > I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same. > It is OK even it is for Linux/UNIX > > Thanks in advance > Vinod "Jim La Ruffa" <jlaruffa@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<V5WdncxUeID4O7ncRVn-ig@comcast.com>... > You can download a trial version of Universe from IBM > > https://www-927.ibm.com/software/data/u2/support/u2techconnect/uv10pe.asp > > > "vinod" <skvinod1@chn.cognizant.com> wrote in message > news:851afc0a.0408182110.5f5180f3@posting.google.com... > > Can anyone tell me some windows based software/tool which will run > > PICK/BASIC programs. preferably a freeware or trail version. > > I want to create a PICK/BASIC program, compile and run the same. > > It is OK even it ...

Run a Windows program from Pick Basic
I know this has been explained before but I can't find the thread in a Google search. How do you execute a Windows program from a Pick Basic program? Platform is D3Linux 7.4.0 "Ricky" <fawnridge@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<2j03itFr9b7rU1@uni-berlin.de>... > I know this has been explained before but I can't find the thread in a > Google search. > How do you execute a Windows program from a Pick Basic program? > Platform is D3Linux 7.4.0 In BRIZ (infotools.ru) the following ways are possible: CALL GPTERM.ShellExecuteEx([VERB=...

Pick a PICK
Hi, I last programmed in PICK on an Ultimate mini back in the late 80's and early 90's. I am thinking of brushing up on my PICK skills and am wondering: 1) If you think there is any life left in PICK: are there any sales of PICK-based systems to *new* client companies these days, or is it all legacy support? 2) What PICK vendor offering you personally recommend (support, financial health of vendor) Thanks. #1: I know that there are software vendors with multivalue-based applications who are actively selling their apps to new end users. #2: I'm biased, but I would definitely have to recommend Intersystem's Cach=E9 database. It's an actively developed and enhanced modern product from a healthy company that gives you many more features out of the box than any other vender's offering. On Sep 7, 9:55=A0am, Hlafordlaes <hlafordl...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I last programmed in PICK on an Ultimate mini back in the late 80's > and early 90's. I am thinking of brushing up on my PICK skills and am > wondering: > > 1) If you think there is any life left in PICK: are there any sales of > PICK-based systems to *new* client companies these days, or is it all > legacy support? > 2) What PICK vendor offering you personally recommend (support, > financial health of vendor) > > Thanks. On Sep 7, 10:47=A0am, edclark <edcl...@aol.com> wrote: > I'm biased, but I ...

$1 picked up; $2 not picked up
OS: solaris; shell: ksh my UNIX shell script contains I have the following sequence of isql commands isql -S ${DBServer} -D murex2000_${DBName} -P ${DBPasswd} -U ${DBLogin} -s, << EO declare @desk varchar(8), @purge_date char(8), @row1 int, @row2 int set nocount on select @purge_date=convert(char(8),dateadd(dd,-${2},getdate()),112) select @row1=count(*) from A_DBF where (M__ALIAS_='$1') and M__DATE_<=@purge_date and (M_INSTR1='$4') print "table A_DBF: %1! rows. table B_DBF: %2! rows. ", @row1, @row2 go EOF } note: @desk = DESKA; @purge_date: today'...

After create a Program with Lab VIEW using Windows based software; Is it possible to interface this program with Linux based operating system?
Hi, I am trying to use Lab VIEW (Windows based operating system) to program my application. After that this has to be interface with a Linux based operating system. Is this possible? Or I need to create my programme with Linux based Lab VIEW software? Second thing is I want to programme a multi task application (Temperature sensing- ambient and human body using normal temperature sensor and infrared temperature sensor respectively, Humidity, Fire and smoke detection using respective sensor, Image processing using a 360� camera-attached speaker and m...

[News] Debian Runs Windows Programs Also (Windows Can't Run Linux Programs)

Old Pick Software Material
Greetings, I posted a message about old Pick Hits, ... , etc... Little more detail: I am looking for a software product that was written prior April 1986. Trying to help out a friend. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4835683.html If you look at the diragrams, you can see we have been doing this very eary in the Pick community. Abstract: An expert information system with which a decision maker in the construction, or a related industry, can generate a decision record and related control instructions in a facile manner without significant omissions while ensuring that substantially all of the options available for making the decisions have been considered. The expert system includes a microcomputer which executes a system control program to select information units from the expertise of a data base and to concentrate individual information units until an entire decision record has been generated. The process is enhanced by a multiwindowed display which displays possible selections from the expert data base while contrasting that data with data in another window having a list of data indicating the decisions or selections already made. A display pointer with a controllable position is employed to select lines and phrases of the expert information from that portion of the data base displayed in the selection window. The selection of such informaiton causes the line or phrase from the data base, an information unit, to be transferred to the...

Looking for PICK or PICK-Like database with no charge for unlimited users
Healthpac Computer Systems has been with Pick Systems / Raining Data for 15 years, but we can no longer afford the user licensing fees at large installations. We are currently bidding on a 350-400 user site, to install our Practice Management and Billing suite of applications, and the seat cost is pricing us out of the market. Are their any alternatives? Please respond to rob@healthpac.net or bdc@healthpac.net with any suggested alternatives to Raining Data D3. Please bear in mind we cannot just throw out our legacy applications or stop supporting our existing 150 client sites. So any new database we go to must be very Pick-like. Thanks, Rob Bergman Rob, Take a look at OpenQM, they have a very reasonably priced per seat licensed product the can be very Pick like. They also have an open source version but be very wary of the GPL agreement. Failure to comply could result in the requirement of your applications needing to be open source as well. I don't know how easy it is to convert you applications but you can post queries on the Google group. Check out openqm.com Regards, Dale Rob Bergman wrote: > Healthpac Computer Systems has been with Pick Systems / Raining Data for 15 > years, but we can no longer afford the user licensing fees at large > installations. We are currently bidding on a 350-400 user site, to install > our Practice Management and Billing suite of applications, and the seat cos...

How can I learn about PICK programming? #2
How can I learn about PICK programming? Where are you? If you're in Australia there is this : http://www.u2ug.org/index.php?module=pnForum&func=viewtopic&topic=590 Mike. trouling@gmail.com wrote: > How can I learn about PICK programming? You can start with the online flash-cards-ish at http://www.tincat-group.com/trilogy.html. Go to the overview first, then the data and then the commands. Follow that with the Jon Sisk book that will give you information on the PICK BASIC language (someone else provided the jes URL and I don't have it handy). Check the materials at Malcolm Bull's site too (someone else might have that URL handy). Best wishes. --dawn Thanks for the plug, Dawn. You can find details of our self-tuition course Programming in Basic at http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mbtraining/s_basic1.html This is available in printed form or in PDF form, as indicated there. I hope this helps Malcolm Bull dawn wrote: > trouling@gmail.com wrote: > > How can I learn about PICK programming? > > You can start with the online flash-cards-ish at > http://www.tincat-group.com/trilogy.html or maybe : http://www.tincat-group.com/mv/trilogy.html >. Go to the overview first, > then the data and then the commands. Follow that with the Jon Sisk > book that will give you information on the PICK BASIC language (someone > else provided the jes URL and I don't have it ...

running windows program in batch #2
Hello I have several programs that do a lot of calculations and creates/updates records on SQL Server 2000. When the program is started the user has to wait until it is completed before he/she can do anything else with the computer. The user can se the progress of the job in the window. I would like to know what would be the best solution to have this program run in the background. The background job should then notify the user when it is complete. I don't want the computer to be "locked" during the process. Is it possible to have the job run as a job on SQL Server, and ...

Newbie pick basic programming help
I'm a total programming infant and need some help to administer a D3 Windows database. I'd like to take a particular field in 2000 records (a get-list) in our customer file and delete the data in that particular field. We don't have a test server so before I do something irreversible I wonder if somebody could look at this program and comment. There may be an easier was to do this but this is what I came up with. I have compiled it so it least the syntax works. Thanks for your help. :ED MODS CM-FIELD-FIX top 001 * DELETE DATA IN SINGLE FIELD IN CM 002 OPEN 'CUSTOMER*GC' TO CM ELSE STOP 003 EXECUTE 'GET-LIST J' 004 EOF=0 005 LOOP 006 READNEXT ID ELSE EOF = 1 007 UNTIL EOF DO 008 READ CM.REC FROM CM,ID THEN 009 CM.REC<49> = '' 010 WRITE CM.REC ON CM,ID 011 END 012 REPEAT I'd change line 8 to be : 008 READU CM.REC FROM CM,ID THEN Provided your "J" list is a list of the records you want to operate on, should work fine If you want to test, just make a copy of the file, change program accordingly & give it a rip Could avoid a program entirely with an editor prestore, but this should work fine :-) Good luck on your journey to mastery .... you would appear to be well on your way, PROVIDED this field isn't cross referenced on indexed in a related file :-) On Jul 17, 10:39=A0pm, Joe Renaud <j...@goadco.com> wrote: > I'm a total programming infant and n...

Pick Databases
Hi all! I just came across a helpful site where you can sign up for a free monthly newsletter at http://www.ellsys.com/helpful_hints.htm and/or free software at http://www.ellsys.com/free_software.htm. This guy is in the consulting business and has over 21 years experience with PICK! He helped me immensely with a problem I had with a nagging F: correlative. Just thought I would share this with you.... Patti Hi there all you football lover's. I just came across this great club called Manchester United. They are great to watch and they really helped me tremendo...

Running Windows or Ubuntu on a multi-core CPU is there a way to get the O/S to use only 2 of the CPU's so that the other 2/4/6 CPU's are "free" for programs; in the sense ...
Running Windows or Ubuntu on a multi-core CPU is there a way to get the O/S to use only 2 of the CPU's so that the other 2/4/6 CPU's are "free" for programs; in the sense that those CPU's would have much less context switching and hence be more cache-friendly and pipeline-friendly? -- Regards, Casey Casey Hawthorne <caseyhHAMMER_TIME@istar.ca> writes: > Running Windows or Ubuntu on a multi-core CPU is there a way to get > the O/S to use only 2 of the CPU's so that the other 2/4/6 CPU's are > "free" for programs; in the sense ...

Running A Windows Program Based on File Type
I'm building a Perl/Tk application which will build a series of html documents. After the documents are created, I would like the index page to be opened in the default Web browser. I can do this on my machine usine Win32::Process, since I know the path to Mozilla. Is there some way to cause the default browser, regardless of what it is or where it's located, to open and display the page? Or for that matter, to open any file in the proper program, based on file type association?? Thanks, George George wrote: > I'm building a Perl/Tk application which will build a...

unknown secrets of pick to keep your database running
you can write data on the fly from a dictionary so you can write programs to update databases from simple selects in fact i have never done this but often thought about it it is available through sql but i'm not sure if you can write directly from a dictionary (within code) it could be damaging to your database but very good for transaction logging i'm sure i have set up transaction logging systems before using this approach ...

OS/2 C60 programs converted into MS windows programs?Information on OS/2 C60?
Hello, all I am working on a project that needs to convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs. And I found it difficult to find useful information. Could somebody kindly help me ? any tips?web sites? 1. How can I convert OS/2 C60 programs into MS windows programs? 2.Where can I find information on OS/2 C60 ?any web sites...? 3. What are the difference between variable types in OS/2 and in MS windows? Any tips are appreciated. Coca In article <g95ci0p98npj1f40pldt888mo286km1fme@4ax.com>, Coca <bigmelon@btamail.net.cn> wrote: >I am working on a project that nee...

Pick-Based PCR/Source Control/PM Software
At one point awhile back, I ran across (in Spectrum Magazine, I believe) a company that provided a suite of software that provided PCR, source control, project management, etc software and I believe it was Pick-based. Not that it matters whether or not it is Pick-based, but is anyone familiar with this company or know of another resource we can tie into our D3 system that provides these functions? Thanks, Roger Roger Grosser wrote: >At one point awhile back, I ran across (in Spectrum Magazine, I >believe) a company that provided a suite of software that provided >PCR, source control, project management, etc software and I believe it >was Pick-based. > >Not that it matters whether or not it is Pick-based, but is anyone >familiar with this company or know of another resource we can tie into >our D3 system that provides these functions? Susan Joslyn at sjplus.com has PRC. However, it's based on SB+ which is no longer supported for D3. Check with Susan for options -- other than migration from D3 of course. :) The May/June issue of Spectrum Magazine has an article by Brian Leech on version control using CVS. The next article will cover Subversion which I believe has pretty much taken over as the standard in this area. http://www.intl-spectrum.com/Magazine/tabid/73/Default.aspx HTH T That's the one I saw, Tony. Thanks very much! Roger On Jun 25, 11:33 am, Tony Gravagno <address.is.in.po......

Re: Pick value based on date range #2
My suggestion would be similar to Mary's, but you will have to ensure that no dates are invalid (like the End_Date of your example's third record). I think you will need proc sql as you probably will be doing a many-to-many merge. Also, you'll probably want a case statement so that you can assign the "N/A" values where needed. e.g., proc sql; create table want as select l.ID,code,Start_Date,End_Date, case when missing(Service_Date) then 'N/A' else put(Service_Date,mmddyy10.) end as Service_Date from Co...

PICK BASIC Unidata programming
I sure hope this is a good place to post this? Anyways, I have recently started at a new company which uses A Unidata/PICK/BASIC system. I have absolutely 0 programming experience and my fiirst class (in Denver, CO. at RocketSoftware) for the intro to Unidata Pick/BASIC programminng isn't scheduled until january :( Soooo... I am hoping that I can find help here during my first few months and try to mange to do as much reading as possible in order to stay afloat. I have found a few online publications (including Sisk's book on the subject) that I think should help. If anyone here can help me with the following "project" that I am using as practice I would be forever grateful! here is what I am trying to do; I need to create a routine (program) in our PICK/BASIC system that does the following; allows a user to input two dates. =95 Dates have to be valid =95 Both dates have to be greater than the current date (today) and less than a year from the current date =95 The second date has to be greater than the first date I have done a few smaller practice projects, but I guess I have not gotten to the chapter that covers what I would GUESS is using the OCONV tool to convert the dates and then somehow check to make sure the rules above are enforced. I am hoping that by seeing this code written out I can use it as a way to learn some of the syntax, and get a better understanding of how to do something simple like this Like I said, ANY help w...

Knowledge Base Software #2 #2
Our easy to us Knowledge Base Software allows you to get free user generated content, organize data, share information and increase search engine traffic. Knowledge Base Software | Knowledgebase software ...

c program running 2 terminal windows, how to specify in which to write?
Hi all, I have a c program under linux, while running, it opens a new terminal windows using a system call. I would like to display messages on both windows. But I can't find a way to specify the terminal window I want to write in. The program is for chat and I want to keep a terminal window to write incoming messages, and use the other one for operation like sending messages or viewing list of nicks in the room.... To start the new window, i use the command: system("gnome-terminal"); or popen("gnome_terminal", "w"); but with no results!!! but I really c...

c program running 2 terminal windows, how to specify in which to write?
Hi all, I have a c program under linux, while running, it opens a new terminal windows using a system call. I would like to display messages on both windows. But I can't find a way to specify the terminal window I want to write in. The program is for chat and I want to keep a terminal window to write incoming messages, and use the other one for operation like sending messages or viewing list of nicks in the room.... To start the new window, i use the command: system("gnome-terminal"); but I really can't see if there is some possible way to write to it, all my messages ke...

Pick on Windows
Is there still a copy of Pick or Unidata available for (free) download for personal use that will run on Windows NT or 2000? I seem to recall a while ago that there was. I really could use it now that I have time to play with the product. My apologies in advance if this topic has been asked, answered and flogged to death before. Thanks Elio Have a look here: https://www-927.ibm.com/software/data/u2/support/u2techconnect/udt6pe.asp Ron White "Elio" <elio.mazzucco@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:o4Upb.18263$mB5.554819@news20.bellglobal.com... > Is th...

Web resources about - Windows based software for running the PICK/BASIC program ? #2 - comp.databases.pick

Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Computer software or simply software is any set of machine-readable instructions that directs a computer 's processor to perform specific operations. ...

Questioning Software
Given that I resigned a couple weeks ago and am looking for new work , I've been asking myself a lot of questions about what I want to do next. ...

Lessons Learned by a Solo Entrepreneur - Software by Rob
... is written by Rob Walling, a serial web entrepreneur. He writes about startups, internet marketing, SEO, and other topics that interest software ...

Renaissance Software
We help individuals and companies to apply state of the art design and process technologies to both embedded and non-embedded software development. ...

Business of Software
We are gearing up for another awe-inspiring, thought-engaging, and actionable conference in 2012. It is our vision to stir up innovation and ...

Scaling Software Agility - Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell
Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell

Software on the Side
While I was at Ancestry.com, we used the StrengthsFinder assessment to give us insights into ourselves. If you haven’t taken it, I highly recommend ...

The Famous Software Company - Development Blog
A year ago I was looking for an app that enabled me to stream audio from iTunes to my iPhone. I was sharing an apartment at the time, and in ...

A Software Insider's Point of View
Innovative CIO’s Betting On Disruptive Technologies That Impact Enterprise Business Value In the Four Personas of the Next Gen CIO published ...