How can I backup database from database itself

Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the
database?
I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself,
and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'.
Tnx in advance

Dragan

mlists
6/24/2004 11:56:58 AM
comp.postgresql.admin 1725 articles. 0 followers. ashok (20) is leader. Post Follow

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 13:56:58 +0200,
  Dragan Matic <mlists@panforma.co.yu> wrote:
> Is there a way to backup a database by issuing an SQL statement from the
> database?
> I would like user to be able to create a backup from database itself,
> and not by telnetting to server and typing 'pg_dump' or 'pg_dumpall'.
> Tnx in advance

They don't have to telnet to the server to run pg_dump or pg_dumpall.
Those can be run from their machine. (Though they should be running a
version as least as recent as the server version.) Take a look at the
man page, in particular the -h option.

bruno