Upgrade from 7.3.4 to 7.4.6

Hello

Can anyone point me to or near the reason why my pg_dumpall of my 7.3.4 DB
and subsequent 7.4.6 psql restoration of that dump show up as a failure when
I run my programs against it.  I am using libpq as the DB interface.
Program results are successful on the 7.3.4 system but I get seg-faults when
attempting to run on 7.4.6.

Recap: (7.3.4) pg_dumpall mydb > mydb_dump; (7.4.6) psql -f mydb_dump; all
seem to go as expected until I run program procedures againt the 7.4.6 DB.

My instant analysis: It seems to not like BINARY CURSOR.  When I remove
BINARY from the SQL DECLARE string, I no longer receive the seg-fault but
the data results (presentation) are not as expected.

I hope this is enough info for a reasonable response.

Thanks

Clifford Reid

      joining column's datatypes do not match

0
creid (2)
11/1/2004 4:02:04 PM
comp.postgresql.admin 1725 articles. 0 followers. ashok (20) is leader. Post Follow

"Cliff Reid" <creid@proximitygroup.com> writes:
> My instant analysis: It seems to not like BINARY CURSOR.  When I remove
> BINARY from the SQL DECLARE string, I no longer receive the seg-fault but
> the data results (presentation) are not as expected.

7.4 changed the external representation in which BINARY CURSOR results
are delivered.  Before 7.4 you got the (very machine- and even version-
dependent) server internal representation; now you get an on-the-wire
representation that we hope to keep stable.

			regards, tom lane

tgl