problem connecting to database on server

I've got problem with connecting to PROGERSS database, I've started
AppServer amd configured sample database Sports2000 in Progress Explorer
Tool and I can't connect to database using 4GL instructions

Can You send me simple example in 4GL that solve my problem with
connecting to database on server.
0
majster82
12/2/2004 5:35:23 PM
comp.databases.progress 917 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Are you trying to connect to the database directly or are you trying t
connect to the DB via the Appserver

--
gcampbel

14 Years of Progres
gcampbell's Profile: http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=145
View this thread: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7929

0
gcampbell
12/2/2004 11:25:37 PM
gcampbell <gcampbell.1gnu5a@progresstalk.com> wrote in message news:<gcampbell.1gnu5a@progresstalk.com>...
> Are you trying to connect to the database directly or are you trying to
> connect to the DB via the Appserver?

I'm trying to Connect via the AppServer using 4GL instructions.
I've already connected to AppServer, but I don't know how to connect
to the database, do you have any examples or suggestions
Best regards majster82
0
mrm82
12/3/2004 11:45:45 AM
I hope I understand what it is you are trying to do....

You cannot directly connect your client to the database throug
AppServer.
The AppServer connects to the database. Your client in turn connects t
the AppServer and then runs remote procedures on the AppServer tha
perform the queries updates etc. These remote procedures need to resid
on the AppServer. Any data that is required on the client, for instanc
for display is returned to the client in the form of temp-tables an
parameters.

So, if for instance you would like a list of customers shown in
browse on the client you would get something like this (would be a bi
hard to give the complete code here):
- Client procedure "showcustomers.w" connects to AppServer
- AppServer connects to the database
- Client runs a procedure "getcustomers.p" on the AppServer (via
handle to the AppServer)
- AppServer procedure getcustomers.p performs the query and returns th
data in the form of a temp-table containing the resulting records
- Client receives the temp-table and uses that to populate the browse

All this can either be done "static" or "dynamic". The latter being th
really interesting one because using dynamic temp-tables, dynami
queries and dynamic widgets you can create only a couple of procedure
that can perform queries and show results from virtually any table...

Things to look for in the Progress documentation are (amongst othe
things):
CREATE SERVER statement
CONNECT method
RUN <procedure> ON SERVER <server handle>
DISCONNECT method

There is also quite some documentation available o
techweb.progress.co

--
jongpa

jongpau's Profile: http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=300
View this thread: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7929

0
jongpau
12/3/2004 1:50:34 PM
Paul gives a good overview of what to do once you get your DB connecte
to your appserver ... but he forgot to mention how to get you
AppServer connected to the DB

That is done via the AppServer StartupParameter:  You need to add you
DB connection string there eg

-db idoclib -N TCP -S 2902 -H localhos

Depending on which OS you are on, this can be updated via Exploder o
you can edit the Ubroker.Properties file

Later
Gor

--
gcampbel

14 Years of Progres
gcampbell's Profile: http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=145
View this thread: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7929

0
gcampbell
12/3/2004 5:29:31 PM
Ah yes, connecting the database at startup is option one. If you wan
(or need) your single AppServer "session" to be able to connect t
multiple/different databases you can also do it in the AppServer'
connect procedure (which you have to write yourself)...

The option Gordon gives is a little faster because the AppServer doe
not have to connect to the database for every request. The secon
option would be a little slower, but would reduce the number o
continual database connections to your database (which may help reduc
your license cost a little) and offer a little more flexibility to th
application. It all depends on what you want to do really...

--
jongpa

jongpau's Profile: http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=300
View this thread: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7929

0
jongpau
12/3/2004 8:44:45 PM
I try to do this what You wrote about connection
But still it doesn't work
Can You send to my e-mail: mrm82@wp.pl a complete
example about how to setup the Progress Explorer:
1. how to configure database (for example Sports2000).
2. how to configure AppServer (asbroker1).
And simple example of remote procedure, that return for
   example informations about Customers from Sports2000.
Best regards Martin

0
majster82
12/10/2004 1:06:52 PM
What doesn't work ......

--
gcampbel

14 Years of Progres
gcampbell's Profile: http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=145
View this thread: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7929

0
gcampbell
12/10/2004 5:32:52 PM
-db Sports2000 -N TCP -S 2902 -H localhost

My Sports2000 works on port 1200, i try tu change this port number and
the asbroker1 won't start. Can You describe me step-by-step
how to:
1. Configure database in progress explorer for example Sports2000
2. Configure asbroker1
3. Configure nameserver
and could You send me an example of remote procedure that call
Sports2000 tables.

regards
Martin
0
majster82
12/10/2004 8:02:17 PM
Here is my setup for Sports2000 DB

DefaultServerGroup
-------------------
Service = 250
# of server =
Msg Buffer Size = 102
Reporting Interval =
Max Client =
Min Client =
Max Dynamic Port = 500
Min Dynamic Port = 300

DefaultConfiguration - General Tab
---------------------------------
DB Buffer Blocks =
Hash Table Entries =
Lock Table Entries = 819
Max Users =
Max Serv =
Other Server = <blank
Apply Crash Protection = TRU
Employ Direct IO = FALS

Everything else is default
--------------

My asbroker1 setup is as follows

Broker - General
----------------
Operating Mode = Stateles
Working Directory = c:\sports200
Port Number = 309

Everything else for the Broker is default

Server -  General
----------------
Server Startup = -db sports2000 -N TCP -S 2500 -H localhos
Min Port  #= 200
Max Port #= 220
Propath = <set this accordingly

Everything else is default

----------------
This is how I connect to the AppServer from my Procedure editor

DEFINE VARIABLE h_Server  AS HANDLE NO-UNDO
CREATE SERVER h_Server
h_Server:CONNECT("-AppService asbroker1 -H localhost -S 5162")
message h_Server:CONNECTED() view-as alert-box
h_Server:DISCONNECT()
DELETE OBJECT h_Server

Note:  the -S must point to the port number of the controlling nam
Server (unless you bypass the NameServer)

To perform a call to a program in the AppServer's Propath do

RUN <myprogram> ON h_Server

--
gcampbel

14 Years of Progres
gcampbell's Profile: http://www.progresstalk.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=145
View this thread: http://www.progresstalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=7929

0
gcampbell
12/10/2004 8:44:16 PM
Thank You for configuration of Progress Explorer Tool
Everything is working properly.
But I have one more request::
Can You send me a simple remote procedure that is located on server machine
and for example returns some data from sports2000 table.
Because I don't know how can I recieve data from database connected on
AppServer.

0
majster82

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

DataBase DataBase DataBase DataBase

How many times can we see the same request from someone who wants to access data from a 'pick' database through what has come to be 'standard' practices (odbc, oledb) and still get the same old sloppy ' buy this proprietary utility (and above all, my services)' answer. I think most of these pick flavors should have some sort of layer (by now!) to handle this; If someone needs to do this, the service is really 'education' i.e to show them how. Lets cut the shit now and stop with this tired and silly BS and sad marketing schlock. Regards, -Jim ...

connect a database in remote server (can connect to the server via SSH)
Hi, All: My perl code need to connect to a database (MySQL) in remote server, and I can login that server via SSH. I am a new to perl, can anyone give me a hint how can I do that. Many thanks. Xiaoyu zhangxiaoyu912@gmail.com wrote: > My perl code need to connect to a database (MySQL) in remote server, > and I can login that server via SSH. You don't need to have ssh access to the remote database server in order to be able to connect to the database (at least if the database server is configured to wait for remote connections). > I am a new to perl, can anyone give me a hint h...

Problem connecting to SQL Server from Access Database
Dear all, We recently migrated a SQL database from one server to another. Now, when you try to run some code in an Access Database which links to the SQL one, you get a 3704 error "Operation is not allowed when the object is closed". I think this means that the connection between the Access DB and SQL Server has not been made. - The IP address of the new server is the same as the old one and the host file on the client PCs has been updated to reflect the name change. - The server name in the connection details has been changed to the new server name in the constants section of ou...

Problem connecting to SQL Server from Access Database #2
Dear all, We recently migrated a SQL database from one server to another. Now, when you try to run some code in an Access Database which links to the SQL one, you get a 3704 error "Operation is not allowed when the object is closed". I think this means that the connection between the Access DB and SQL Server has not been made. - The IP address of the new server is the same as the old one and the host file on the client PCs has been updated to reflect the name change. - The server name in the connection details has been changed to the new server name in the constants section of ou...

Failed to connect SQL Server 2000 database from Progress V9.1E
Hello, a SQL Server 2000 database under Win2000 server. a progress V9.1E environnement under Win2000 server too. I created a connection via ODBC admin and it works. Now when trying to create a data server schema: * if using ODBC utility ==> cannot connect because the SQL server version is newer thzn SQL V6. * if using SQL utility ==> "no connection with current CONFIG file". What are the steps to make it work ? Thank's. Regards. F. STOCK ...

SQL Server 2000 database connection problems: Can ANY one help?
Environment: SQL Server 2000, Windows 2000, Eclipse, and Microsoft's SQL Server 2000 driver for JDBC Problem: Connection to any table in my SQL 2000 database hangs. If I stop it, it produces the following exception: com.sun.jdi.VMDisconnectedException: Got IOException from Virtual Machine at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.connect.PacketReceiveManager.getReply(PacketReceive Manager.java(Compiled Code)) at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.connect.PacketReceiveManager.getReply(PacketReceive Manager.java:137) at org.eclipse.jdi.internal.MirrorImpl.requestVM(MirrorImpl.java:168) at org.ecl...

Oracle JDBC connect problems-ojdbc6.jar using Native Java commands OK from Matlab,but database toolbox not working -pls help with database toolbox configuration
Hi, I am having some trouble using oracle and jdbc drivers. When I use the native java commands it works from Matlab and I can connect to a database, here is how I do this: javaaddpath('T:\tmp\ojdbc6.jar') aa = oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource() aa.setDriverType('thin') aa.setNetworkProtocol('tcp') aa.setDatabaseName('TESTDB') aa.setServerName('192.0.0.1') aa.setPortNumber(1521) aa.setUser('testuser') aa.setPassword('testpassword') aa.setServiceName('TESTING') conn = aa.getConnection() stmt = conn.createState...

Problems cloning a database/database instance
Hi, I'm running Oracle 9i on a Win2K Server, and I've been trying to follow a procedure for cloning a database ("TEST") as shown here: http://www.sap-img.com/oracle-database/cloning-a-oracle-database.htm Eventually, if I can get past "Step 1", I actually want to clone both the database and the database instance, to set up a test environment. But, I'm having problems just getting past "Step 1". The first problem that I've run into is that the steps indicate that I should edit the .trc file that gets created by the ALTER DATABASE. But, in '...

Database Toolbox
I need to connect a MATLAB application I am writing to an Oracle database (both 10 and 11) to acquire data from the tables stored there. While I am experienced in MATLAB, I have no prior experience with working with databases, however, I have read a few of the other posts on the MATLAB newsgroup regarding subject. I would like confirm how to connect to an Oracle database. I know that the connection command for the database toolbox is: conn = database('<Database Instance>','<username>,'<password>','oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver','jdbc:or...

Database toolbox and connection to access database
Hi I have installed 64bit matlab and have problems to setup the connection to a acccess 2007 database. First I did setup my databasebase by using the 32-bit version of ODBC: c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. Then I did try to connect to my database: conn = database('Test', '', '') %Test is name of database I got: >> conn = database('Test', '', '') conn = Instance: 'Test' UserName: '' Driver: [] URL: [] Constructor: [1x1 com.mathworks.toolbox.database.datab...

database connectivity problem
hi I am tring to connect to an oracle database server using dsn. the dsn is not working properly as i m not able to connect to the database. the connection object is returning value null.while making dsn i have selected the driver 'oracle odbc driver for rdb' from the list as none other oracle specific driver was there in the list. i am able to make a successful connection through dsn at my friend's system where driver name was 'oracle in OraHome92'. what is the exact cause of the problem? from where can i get that driver('oracle in OraHome92'). tha...

problem with database connection
Hi,I am developing an application using swing on netBeans 5.5 .For database I make connection with MySQL 5.0 database with driverConnector/J. I was able to make connection.But I am not able to insertrecords into database from GUI.What steps are necessary to make it possible to perform aboveoperation?Can anybody help me? Pappu wrote:..>I am developing an application using swing on netBeans 5.5 .>For database I make connection with MySQL 5.0 database with driver>Connector/J. I was able to make connection.But I am not able to insert>records into database from GUI.Why not? What ar...

database connection problems?
Hi, I am all new to php/mysql and was wondering if someone might help me out on a little problem that I am having. It must be something very simple that I am missing, it seems that I am having trouble connecting to the database, yet all of my information seems to be correct - the error is as follows: Parse error: parse error in /data/members/free/tripod/uk/t/h/e/theresearcher/htdocs/scripts/conf.inc.php on line 6 the error repeats twice. Line 6 in my conf.inc.php states: $mysql_database='theresearcher_uk_db'; I have enabled both php and mysql twice just to be sure. Hostname localhos...

problem with database connectivity
I am using java applications to connect to my MS SQL Server database. I am using ODBC for database connectivity. If i am running my java applications in a remote PC and try to connect to database server, unless i login to the serer, i am unable to connect to database. If a login to database server with it's username and password, then the database is getting connected. It is not correct to login to database server for database connectivity. what is the solution for this? harishksh@yahoo.com (harish) wrote in message news:<ff46df6e.0402012122.496c63e7@posting.google.com>... > I a...

Web resources about - problem connecting to database on server - comp.databases.progress

List of Nebraska Connecting Link, Spur, and Recreation Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska Connecting Link , Nebraska Spur , and Nebraska Recreation Road highways are a secondary part of the Nebraska highway system . They connect ...

Israeli Hotel U Coral Beach Club Eilat Has a Unique Way of Connecting Guests to Facebook
U Coral Beach Club Eilat, a hotel in Israel , is taking sharing vacation photos and checking in to the next level thanks to a collaboration between ...

Connecting 100 Million People in Africa
„Facebook for Business“ liefert dir aktuelle Nachrichten, Tipps und Best Practices für den Einsatz von Facebook zur Erreichung deiner Unternehmensziele: ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting the community, my Twitter strategy, and American Airlines at DFW - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
I thought, to commemorate this entry on connecting people, that I'd include a photo of an airplane from one of the busiest airports in the world ...

Connecting an Arduino to a DSC 1550 Alarm Panel - YouTube
Have an old DSC-1550 (PC 1550) Alarm Panel? This video shows how to connect an Arduino to the panel, simulate a keypad, and monitor the state ...