Best Windows-based database for replication/synchronization

Are there Windows databases on the market that allow a database to be
maintained simultaneously in two locations? IOW, both copies of the
database are automatically and continually kept synchronized with each
other to within a few seconds.

A customer has asked me to upgrade a system I did for them many years
ago, based on Microsoft Access, in order to improve the response time
when the loading is heavy. Presently, the web server and the database
server are on two different machines and I think the communication
between the two is the bottleneck when traffic is heavy.

I'm wondering if a synchronizing database would be an effective
solution without having to rewrite a lot of ASP code.

Thanks
tbone
0
tbone
12/12/2005 10:02:32 PM
comp.databases.theory 2343 articles. 0 followers. caseyhHAMMER_TIME (244) is leader. Post Follow

Ingres r3 is free and includes a replicator.  Look at www.ingres.com.

> A customer has asked me to upgrade a system I did for them many years
> ago, based on Microsoft Access, in order to improve the response time
> when the loading is heavy. Presently, the web server and the database
> server are on two different machines and I think the communication
> between the two is the bottleneck when traffic is heavy.

I think you are right.  Network I/O is very slow and erratic.  Networks are
good at moving huge chunks fast, but they are not real prompt about moving
any given chunk.  Except on a dedicated cable expect wildy variable response
times.  Add interprocess communication delays and context-switching delays
on top of that.  Once the average service delay exceeds the average interval
between requests response time goes approximately infinite, with little or
no warning.

> I'm wondering if a synchronizing database would be an effective
> solution without having to rewrite a lot of ASP code.

Maybe.

Roy

0
Roy
12/13/2005 9:08:13 AM
SQL Server 2005 support database mirroring (I think it was the
Enterprise Edition). This is a special form of replication(the standard
transactional replication is also available) that allows transactional
consistency across mirrored databases.I suspect this is wat you want?

Dm Unseen

0
DM
12/13/2005 1:02:45 PM