Oracle or SQL Server with .NET

Hi,

I need to choose between Oracle and SQL Server.
The scenario is as follows:

1. Real time / near real time performance expected.
2. Around 15 million records.
3. Data access is using ADO .NET.
4. Deployment is on Windows 2003 Server.
5. People (developers/designers) are more comfortable with SQL Server.

Regards
Harsh

0
Harsh
6/15/2005 11:17:58 AM
comp.databases 3839 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

On 15 Jun 2005 04:17:58 -0700, "Harsh Thakur" <harsh.thakur@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need to choose between Oracle and SQL Server.
>The scenario is as follows:
>
>1. Real time / near real time performance expected.

There is a world of difference between "real time" and "near real
time". Aside from the fact that Windows is not a real time OS, and
that most applications (reporting, for example) do not NEED to have
real time performance, performance ultimately depends on many
different things, especially the database design.

Oracle on Solaris or Linux will out-perform SQL Server any time IMHO
.... besides, SQL Server doesn't support grids. Maybe somebody else has
some benchmarks?

>2. Around 15 million records.

This isn't really very much (for Oracle, that is...).

>3. Data access is using ADO .NET.

And you want "real time performance"? <g>

>4. Deployment is on Windows 2003 Server.
>5. People (developers/designers) are more comfortable with SQL Server.

Seems like you need to get your priorities straight. "Comfortable"
doesn't jive with "real time performance", IMHO.

--
Bob Hairgrove
NoSpamPlease@Home.com

Thanks for your reply.
I have added some clarifications inline.

Regards
Harsh Thakur

Bob Hairgrove wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2005 04:17:58 -0700, "Harsh Thakur" <harsh.thakur@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I need to choose between Oracle and SQL Server.
> >The scenario is as follows:
> >
> >1. Real time / near real time performance expected.
>
> There is a world of difference between "real time" and "near real
> time". Aside from the fact that Windows is not a real time OS, and
> that most applications (reporting, for example) do not NEED to have
> real time performance, performance ultimately depends on many
> different things, especially the database design.
>
> Oracle on Solaris or Linux will out-perform SQL Server any time IMHO
> ... besides, SQL Server doesn't support grids. Maybe somebody else has
> some benchmarks?

I submit that my definition of real time might not be the most
appropriate one. But what I meant was that we need ultra fast
performance for the data retrievals. To be more precise, I mean less
than a second.

> >2. Around 15 million records.
>
> This isn't really very much (for Oracle, that is...).

I meant around 15 million records in one table. I am not sure whether
you understood it the same way. And that's the table on which we will
be firing most of the selects.

> >3. Data access is using ADO .NET.
>
> And you want "real time performance"? <g>
>
> >4. Deployment is on Windows 2003 Server.
> >5. People (developers/designers) are more comfortable with SQL Server.
>
> Seems like you need to get your priorities straight. "Comfortable"
> doesn't jive with "real time performance", IMHO.

I just meant that most people over here have more experience with SQL
Server. I guess people who understand a product better are more likely
to come up with solutions that perform better than people who are using
a better product but don't understand it as well.

> --
> Bob Hairgrove
> NoSpamPlease@Home.com

0
Harsh
6/15/2005 12:27:14 PM
Just something "like that" :

1. MySQL with InnoDB is a VERY performant and secure database. Be sure
that you need the complex functions of Oracle.

2. MySQL is very easy to deploy and to setup, lots of software help to
manage it.

3. MySQL has a .NET connector :
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/1.0.html

Florent
0
Florent
6/16/2005 4:57:08 PM
SQL Server is the core of .NET

Harsh Thakur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to choose between Oracle and SQL Server.
> The scenario is as follows:
>
> 1. Real time / near real time performance expected.
> 2. Around 15 million records.
> 3. Data access is using ADO .NET.
> 4. Deployment is on Windows 2003 Server.
> 5. People (developers/designers) are more comfortable with SQL Server.
>
> Regards
> Harsh

0
robboll
6/17/2005 8:30:05 PM
> SQL Server is the core of .NET

No it isn't.
SQL Server and .NET have lived side by side fro several years now. It's
only MS's desire to integrate (and dominate) everything as closely as
possible that .NET and SQL server have now been wed in SQL Server 2005.

..NET adapters are being written or have been written for most DB
platforms including open source ones like PostreSQL and Firefox.
Remember, for the money you need to dish out to MS for all your SQL
server CAL's you can do a lot of things! a few GB of data is nothing
that your avarage database could not handle.

> 1. MySQL with InnoDB is a VERY performant and secure database. Be sure
> that you need the complex functions of Oracle.

I'm not a fan of MySQL. It's speed advantage comes at the cost of not
being a full database. It's support is still rather limited (no
subqueries, ouch!). One day MySQL will be a full database, but for now
Firefox and Ingres or PostgreSQL would be better.

DM Unseen

0
DM
6/21/2005 1:28:13 PM
DM Unseen wrote:
> .NET adapters are being written or have been written for most DB
> platforms including open source ones like PostreSQL and Firefox.

FWIW, the open source database to which you refer is called Firebird.
Firefox is the excellent browser from Mozilla.org.

> I'm not a fan of MySQL. It's speed advantage comes at the cost of not
> being a full database. It's support is still rather limited (no
> subqueries, ouch!). One day MySQL will be a full database, but for now
> Firefox and Ingres or PostgreSQL would be better.

You might want to take another look at MySQL.  It added support for
subqueries in version 4.1, which has been in full release (past beta)
since October 2004.  It also has had many other great improvements in
the last year, such as extensive character set support, spatial
datatypes, clustering, and nice GUI tools for database administration.
It has the InnoDB storage engine (now the default), which gives
refential integrity and transaction isolation capabilities.  I think
MySQL has achieved the status of a full database, at least on par with
PostgreSQL and Firebird.

Here are links to changes in version 4.1 (production) and 5.0 (beta):
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/news-4-1-x.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/news-5-0-x.html

Regards,
Bill K.

PS: I am not associated with MySQL AB, I'm just a satisfied user.
0
Bill
6/23/2005 3:41:50 PM
Thanks for the addendum Bill!

DM Unseen

0
DM
6/24/2005 12:20:45 PM
Everyone, thanks for your posts.

Regards
Harsh Thakur

DM Unseen wrote:
> Thanks for the addendum Bill!
>
> DM Unseen

0
Harsh

MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Ser
MicroSoft SQL Server 2000, Service Pack 2, AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs], TransTrainer for Designing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Databases v1.1, SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services, (Enterprise), Developer Edition 64 Bit, other 16,000 more CDs, [ no dongles, no activations, etc ... needed ! ] (free donge)! No time limitation! CD NR 4203 MicroSoft SQL Server 2000 4in1 CD NR 9452 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2 CD NR 11 298 AppDev SQL Server 2000 Accelerated Training [3 CDs] CD NR 12 000 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition 64 Bit CD NR 13...

[...]

SqlSpec
Do you wish you had comprehensive, easily navigable documentation for your SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, and Access databases? Are you a SQL Developer or DBA that just inherited a huge, complex database with no supporting docs and don't know where to start learning how it's put together? Are you an independent contractor working with SQL Server, Oracle, Analysis Server, MySQL, or Access? Your clients would LOVE you if you could provide comprehensive documentation about the databases you build. Are you a Project Manager who is tired of developers making chan...

SQL Server 2000 SQL Agent Error [393] Waiting for SQL Server to recover databases
While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job has not ran. The error log for the SQL Agents has the message listed in the subject line. I have not found any useful articles on the MS SQL Server site. Anyone know what might be wrong and how to fix it. HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Mark D Powell (Mark.Powell@eds.com) writes: > While I was out of the office the Lan Team moved one of my SQL Server > 2000 servers to a new network domain. Since then the maintenance job > has not ran. > &...

Oracle-to-SQL Server database link
Is anyone working with databases on both Oracle and SQL Server and using an Oracle database link to successfully query a SQL Server database? The Oracle database is running under AIX. It looks like the Oracle is working fine - database link is established - but the response to querying the SQL Server database is ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed This appears to me to be possibly a situation where the SQL Server is not 'trusting' the Oracle machine to query its database. I have checked to make sure that the port numbers on both sides are the same (when differnet, the er...

Restore SQL Server 6.5 database in SQL Server 2000
Hi, Do you know if it is possible to restore database (backup) from SQL Server 6.5 in SQL Server 2000? Best Regards, Wojtek -- (Remove bez.syfu get my e-mail address) ...

Access database(Jet Engine) and SQL Server or SQL Server express
Hi, I am trying to find out what are the big differences between access database Jet engine and SQL Server? If I have serveral web applications (same content different copies) running as different sites(on IIS), each site using an access as a back-end database, all sites will be running simultaneously, all the access databases are on the same machine, on this approach, does each copy of access has its own Jet engine to handle database transaction or only has one Jet engine with multiple threads handles multiple copies of access database. Also, I'd like to know what kind database, and data...

move/copy database objects from SQL Server Express to SQL Server Standard??
Can anyone refer me to good 'recipes' or sources of information on this topic?? I have Visual Studio Tools for Office, which installs SS 2005 Express locally to my XP box, and I want to develop in SS 2005, then copy the tables or queries or reports etc. to a SS 2005 Standard server. Thank you, Tom Hi Tom If the objects are on source code control you may just want to check out the scripts and run them through SQLCMD. If you want the whole database then you can either use backup/restore or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db, failing that you could use the import/export wizard, If SQLExpr...

SQL Server performs a Query on an Oracle database
Hi, To start our warehouse proces we perform a Select with our ETL tool PowerMart on an Oracle database. This Select fetches 300000 recors within 3 minutes in a table during day time However; when we perform this operation at night when this Oracle database has just processed it's records it lasts an hour or more. The select is done to a linked server in uppercase like is adviced to do according to Books on Line and is a correct Select. Has anyone any idea what might be the case. It's probably a problem on the oracle side of our system but I hope somebody of you can give u...

sql command to list all databases in the oracle server
Hi, could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases in a oracle server? dalu.gelu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > could u help me, what is the sql command to list all existing databases > in a oracle server? Please read the Oracle Concepts Manual. There are Instances and Databases and Schemas. There is no such thing as multiple databases in a single instance. There are multiple schemas! (select distinct owner from dba_tables) Multiple instances can only be listed on O/S level. -- Sybrand Bakker Senior Oracle DBA only one database in oracle server, see v...

VB.NET Input into SQL Server DataBase
Hi every one, i need help with 3 things, plz I am working on a new project on vb.net, I am creating a user input screen for a sql server database table. I want the user to enter the required information throught textboxes and datacombos, when the user presses the process button the information must be transfered into the database. 1. Through VB6 when you create an adodc and a datagrid in the datagrid properties under datasource the adodc u created is there and that is how u link them but in VB.Net it is not there!I Created an OledbdataAdapter, linked it to my sql server and gener...

Transfer Database from one Pervasive SQL 2000i server to Another Pervasive SQL 2000i Server
Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. Please advice ASAP Thanks Sajid Saeed Simply copy the files from one server to the other. Sajid Saeed wrote: > Any tips on how to transfer the data files from one Pervasive SQL > 2000i database to another Pervasive SQL 2000i database. > > Please advice ASAP > > Thanks > > Sajid Saeed If you are just wanting the whole database from one server on another copy the files over. May need to set up an engine DSN on the new server for SQL/ODBC acce...

Web resources about - Oracle or SQL Server with .NET - comp.databases

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

News Oracle
The News Oracle is an online news outlet. The Oracle covers the most relevant stories from around the globe.

Oracle Acquires Facebook Data Partner Datalogix
One of Facebook’s data partners has a new owner, as Datalogix was acquired by Oracle , the two companies announced Tuesday. (more…) New Career ...

Contract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-b

Oracle deprecates the Java browser plugin, prepares for its demise
The much-maligned Java browser plugin, source of so many security flaws over the years, is to be killed off by Oracle. It will not be mourned. ...

Oracle Survives Bloodbath, But Morgan Stanley Still Skeptical on Cloud Payoff
Conspicuously less bad today are shares of Oracle ( ORCL ), which is down 85 cents, just 2%, at $35.60, amidst the complete meltdown of its cloud ...

Canonical and Oracle team up to boost enterprise cloud use
Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu Linux, has announced a collaboration with Oracle to make Ubuntu images available on Oracle Cloud. Under ...

Oracle CEO: It takes 80 sales calls to close a deal and we've automated 30% of them
... companies without a salesforce? These companies use self-service and automated processes to make sales online. No high-pressure tactics. Oracle's ...

Oracle plans to kill an attacker's favorite: the Java browser plug-in
Oracle will retire the Java browser plug-in, frequently the target of Web-based exploits, about a year from now. Remnants, however, will likely ...