BX Electrical Cable with Data Cable

We're about to lease space for 3 years. The owner has told us the
network is pretty new.

Everything is Cat6, etc in a drop ceiling. However, inside the drop
ceiling is the cable all mixed with BX Electrical Cable. The cable is
not shielded. A part of the decision process is due to a good
network for the space we plan to lease.

Is is totally Bad for BX to be run parallel, near, etc data cable or
will it still meet specs ? We're a small trading firm and need a
robust network.
0
John
9/25/2003 1:18:10 AM
comp.dcom.cabling 1069 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

If it is truly Cat6 it meets spec. A big part of the spec is to have the
cables tested, certified and documented. Ask to see the test results.

In the real world it isn't totally bad that the cables are run with the BX.
I've seen worse I'm sure.

"John Soto" <endor37@skip-the-spam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> We're about to lease space for 3 years. The owner has told us the
> network is pretty new.
>

> Everything is Cat6, etc in a drop ceiling. However, inside the drop
> ceiling is the cable all mixed with BX Electrical Cable. The cable is
> not shielded. A part of the decision process is due to a good
> network for the space we plan to lease.
>
> Is is totally Bad for BX to be run parallel, near, etc data cable or
> will it still meet specs ? We're a small trading firm and need a
> robust network.

0
Cable
9/25/2003 2:49:39 AM
  If data cables are Cat 6, then marking on jacket will say so
every so many inches.  Is cable also plenum rated - a fire
rating?

John Soto wrote:
> We're about to lease space for 3 years. The owner has told us the
> network is pretty new.
>
> Everything is Cat6, etc in a drop ceiling. However, inside the drop
> ceiling is the cable all mixed with BX Electrical Cable. The cable is
> not shielded. A part of the decision process is due to a good
> network for the space we plan to lease.
>
> Is is totally Bad for BX to be run parallel, near, etc data cable or
> will it still meet specs ? We're a small trading firm and need a
> robust network.
0
w_tom
9/25/2003 2:10:51 PM
Hello,

Cable Joe wrote:
> If it is truly Cat6 it meets spec. A big part of the spec is to have the
> cables tested, certified and documented. Ask to see the test results.
>
> In the real world it isn't totally bad that the cables are run with the BX.

When viewing the test results, which should be at the site, you might
want to consider whether or not there were any lights, etc., turned on
during the testing.  Things like flaky flourescent lights might have an
adverse effect on your cat6 cabling.  Are you able to test the cabling
yourself under different conditions?

- Greg
   gtknopf@concentric.net
   info@knopfnet.com