Serial Cables - which cable should I use?

I need to make up some 30m serial cables.

Can anyone advise which type of cable I need to buy, please?

I only need 5 cores.

Kind regards,
--
RH

comp.dcom.cabling 1069 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

<russell.hunter@sashait.co.uk> wrote in message
> I need to make up some 30m serial cables.
>
> Can anyone advise which type of cable I need to buy, please?
>
> I only need 5 cores.
>
> Kind regards,
> --
> RH

If it's Async RS232 use cat5 and configurable RJ45 to DB9 or DB25 adapters
and the EIA/TIA 561 standard
http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/tech_rs232.htm#rj45
You can run that for at least 100m at 19200bps

HTH

Chris

USB to serial cable and serial to HP48 or HP49 cables
Hello HP gurus, I have inherited of an old IBM NetVista PC, and I run both Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP on it. A great machine ! Unfortunately, the machine has no serial port, instead it has a lot of USB ports - I presume USB 1.1. I am considering to acquire an USB to serial port to connect my fafourite HP 48and HP49 calcs. The money is not the issue, the thing is cheap. I just wonder if anyone has any experience with those adaptors, either for HP48, or HP49, under W2K or XP... Any feedback will be welcome. Best regards and many thank's to all supporters on this NG, Herve ...

cable Internet cable
I got a wireless router, so I'm trying to replace my cable Internet cable with a shorter one (about 6 feet). Anyone know if this will work? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4117994&st=Coaxial+Cable&type=product&id=1051384699030 bob@coolgroups.com wrote: > I got a wireless router, so I'm trying to replace my cable Internet > cable with a shorter one (about 6 feet). > > Anyone know if this will work? > > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4117994&st=Coaxial+Cable&type=product&id=1051384699030 That&#...

cables(cross-over cable or not)....
We have two(2) Cisco3620 routers. One is our gateway router with a FastEthernet card facing inward. The other has 2 FastEthernet cards in it, one facing our internal network, and one facing the gateway router. This router is being used to traffic shape. How should the 2 FastEthernet cards be connected? ie. by a crossover cable, or both pluged into a 100-Mb switch? Note, someone told me that a cross over cable reduces the speed to 10-Mb single duplex, is this true? Captain wrote: > How should the 2 FastEthernet cards be > connected? > > ie. by a crossover cable, or >...

VAXstation 3100 & 4000/VLC + BA350's and some RZ drives + SCSI cables + Serial Cables + Standard Power Cables
If anyone in the Phoenix area (I'm not willing to pack and ship) has an interest in one or more of: VAXstation 3100 VAXstation 4000/VLC Multiple BA350's with some RZ drives Box of SCSI cables Box of Serial cables Box of Standard Power Cables No fishing for one-off, if you want one cable, you get the box -- same with drives, etc. please let me know and be prepared to pick them up before Friday September 5th otherwise I'll be pitching them... Barry ...

Serial cross over cable and null modem cable
Is a null modem cable different from a serial crossover cable? I am into a project that calls for a serial crossover cable, and I'd like to now what types of crossover cables they are? The connection is wired like this. The 1,6,8 are linked together and connected with 4 on the other side and vice versa. 7 on both sides is unused. 2 - 3 3 - 2 5 - 5 1 6 - 4 8 1 4 - 6 8 Does this type of linkage have some sort of classification? <mydejamail@yahoo.co.uk> wrote > Is a null modem cable different from a serial crossover cable? > >...

What differences between Nullmodem cable and straight-through cable for Serial Port?
What is the difference between Nullmodem cable and straight-through cable for Serial Port?Why do we need them two, not one only? Thanks, Adrian Lee <yxl4444@louisiana.edu> wrote: > What is the difference between Nullmodem cable and straight-through > cable for Serial Port?Why do we need them two, not one only? For a combination of two reasons: first, because RS232 is bi-directional and full-duplex, but its signalling method on the individual wire is uni-directional. This is what necessitates _having_ two wires to be crossed (or not) in the first place. It also implies the two...

Using a DVI cable instead of standard monitor cable?
Are there any specific add/removes to use a DVI cable from the HP f70 monitor to the video card (not onboard card)???? Assuming that the video card in question has both DVI and old-standard 15-pin VGA connectors AND you are currently using a VGA monitor, nothing special to do except connect up the monitor and go. Same is true if you have a VGA to DVI converter. If the operating system does not auto-detect the HP F70, you may need to install an INF file describing the F70's characteristics... Ben Myers On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:20:39 GMT, "Bogey" <bogey@playinggolf.com> w...

Can I use a CAT5 cable as a TV Coax cable?
I have a room that only has a CAT5 ran to it but I want to use that for the television (coax input)without running another cable Is there an inexpensive way to turn the CAT5 cable into a coax cable? Perhaps some kind of adaptors on each end? The CAT5 cable doesn't have to be used for anything else other than displaying my tv channels. Thanks in advance for the help pal wrote: > I have a room that only has a CAT5 ran to it but I want to use that for > the television (coax input)without running another cable > > Is there an inexpensive way to turn the CAT5 cable into a coax...

Comcast
My house previously had digital cable TV but we are now using basic and extended cable (A & B side with an old Jerrolds box). If I buy a self- install cable modem kit, will it have all the necessary connectors that I would need to get the cable modem working? Would I need to plug the cable modem into the A or B side cable (and if so would a regular splitter work for that)? Thanks. I think that the most dual cable systems use B for analog only and A for analog and digital services. I would connect the cable modem to the A side and it will most likely work. If you're ...

How I will know whether to use Straight cable or cross-over cable?
How I will know whether I have to use cross-over or straighr cable to connect PC-to-switch-to-router-to-cable modem?. I have 2 PC's - connect to - switch - connect to - router - connected to - Cable modem, How can I know where to use straight cable and where to use cross-over cable?. Thanks. On 13 Feb 2005 07:25:28 -0800, tvnaidu@yahoo.com wrote: >How I will know whether I have to use cross-over or straighr cable to >connect PC-to-switch-to-router-to-cable modem?. > >I have 2 PC's - connect to - switch - connect to - router - connected >to - Cable mod...

Straight Cable and Cross Cable
Hello! I need information about Cabling. How to know which cable I need to use is it straight or cross cable[RJ45]? For example, I have a SONET system having LAN port to connect to some Router for outside world access. This scenior which Cable I need to use? and Please let me know When to use Straight Cable and When to use Cross Cable [RJ45]. Thanks, Hello again Rokr.... This time you wrote: > I need information about Cabling. > > How to know which cable I need to use is it straight or cross > cable[RJ45]? That depends on which interface you use the cable. > For exam...

Supply Cat5e Patch Cords,Cat5e Patch Cables,Network Patch Cables,Network Patch Cords,Unshielded Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cords
Supply Cat5e Patch Cords,Cat5e Patch Cables,Network Patch Cables,Network Patch Cords,Unshielded Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cords Made in China Supply Cat5e Patch Cords, Cat5e Patch Cables Network Patch Cables Network Patch Cords Unshielded Patch Cables Cat6 Patch Cables Cat6 Patch Cords UTP Patch Cords UTP Patch Cables STP Patch Cords STP Patch Cables FTP Patch Cords FTP Patch Cables Shielded Patch Cords Shielded Patch Cables Cat5 Patch Cords Cat5 Patch Cables China Patch Cords China PAtch Cables Patch Cable Manufacturers Patch Cords Manufacturers China ...

[rfc-dist] RFC 4639 on Cable Device Management Information Base for Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) Compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 4639 Title: Cable Device Management Information Base for Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) Compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems Author: R. Woundy, K. Marez Status: Standards Track Date: December 2006 Mailbox: richard_woundy@cable.comcast.com, kevin.marez@motorola.com Pages: 88 ...

Supply Cat5e Patch Cords,Cat5e Patch Cables,Network Patch Cables,Network Patch Cords,Unshielded Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cords
Supply Cat5e Patch Cords,Cat5e Patch Cables,Network Patch Cables,Network Patch Cords,Unshielded Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cables,Cat6 Patch Cords Supply Cat5e Patch Cords, Cat5e Patch Cables Network Patch Cables Network Patch Cords Unshielded Patch Cables Cat6 Patch Cables Cat6 Patch Cords UTP Patch Cords UTP Patch Cables STP Patch Cords STP Patch Cables FTP Patch Cords FTP Patch Cables Shielded Patch Cords Shielded Patch Cables Cat5 Patch Cords Cat5 Patch Cables China Patch Cords China PAtch Cables Please See More Details at the Link: http://www.cheerwe-telecom.com http://indonetwork.net/cheer...

Web resources about - Serial Cables - which cable should I use? - comp.dcom.cabling

Serial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Serial Innovation
This is a very interesting site done by Brendan Steidle. He doesn’t just point out problems with a company or industries, he tries to offer solutions ...

Serial takes the stand: How a podcast became a character in its own narrative
The trial of the century is becoming more like a hearing very particular to these times.

'Serial' case: Adnan Syed hearing expected to wrap up Tuesday
Defense attorneys for Adnan Syed , the convicted murderer whose case was re-examined in the popular &quot;Serial&quot; podcast, and the Maryland ...

Serial entrepreneurs draw $9M in funding from who's who list of Seattle investors
Founded in January, marketing technology startup Amperity already has raised $9 million in Series A funding from prominent venture investors. ...

'Serial' is posting season-one updates about Adnan Syed's new hearing for a retrial
The case of Adnan Syed isn't over, and so "Serial" isn't done with it. The hit podcast, which in its inaugural season explored the murder conviction ...

Serial Case: Closing Arguments Complete In Syed Hearing « CBS Baltimore
Closing arguments wrap up in the hearing for Adnan Syedthe Baltimore County man now wanting a new trial after being convicted of murdering his ...

FBI Agent: Cell tower data in "Serial" case accurate
CBS News FBI Agent: Cell tower data in "Serial" case accurate CBS News BALTIMORE An FBI agent testified that cell tower data records originally ...

Serial revisits season one for Adnan Syed's new hearing
Digital Trends Serial revisits season one for Adnan Syed's new hearing Digital Trends The team behind the popular podcast Serial is keeping ...

Serial adds new episodes as the season 1 case continues
Still wondering what happened to Adnan Syed after the first season of Serial wrapped? Well, we're about to get an update. Syed is back in court ...