Trade Amp Crimper Die (have RJ-45, need RJ-11/12) - & Q. about Amp/mutt crimping specs...

     I *managed to end up with half a broken blue die set
(4/6 position line plug) and half an extra black dot, 8
position RJ-45 die set in serviceable condition.  I'm sure
you guys know these fit Amp crimper # 2-231652-0...

     They are both the crimp side, not the housing side
which retain/hold the plugs before crimping.  If you just
have an extra RJ-11/12 die set, please also e-mail me and
let me know what you gotta have for it!

     * * * Question! * * *

     I've been hearing that you can only terminate Amp type
plugs with this crimper, but when I tried it on mutt brand
plugs it was too tight to pull apart by hand and
electrically sound.  Could it have anything to do with the
part that broke off?  What is broken is the part that crimps
the wires between the sheathing crimp and contacts, and I
have seen mutt plugs that don't get crimped there anyway (so
use would break the crimper where mine is broken or
break/damage non-Amp plugs? - is that the source of any/all
incompatibility?!)

TIA,

SBK

* please don't ask how!

P.S. intentionally cross-posted to two groups - please
respond in comp.dcom.cabling or by e-mail?
0
jdworley (3)
1/30/2004 9:48:01 PM
comp.dcom.cabling 1069 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <401AD111.E59C0BE5@hiwaay.net>, jdworley@hiwaay.net says...

	<snippety>

>      They are both the crimp side, not the housing side
> which retain/hold the plugs before crimping.  If you just
> have an extra RJ-11/12 die set, please also e-mail me and
> let me know what you gotta have for it!

	You should be able to get replacement dies from Graybar, or most
other AMP/Tyco distributors, for about $50.

>      * * * Question! * * *
>
>      I've been hearing that you can only terminate Amp type
> plugs with this crimper, but when I tried it on mutt brand
> plugs it was too tight to pull apart by hand and

	<snip>

	I've used it on both AMP and AllenTel plugs. Never had a problem
here.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

> respond in comp.dcom.cabling or by e-mail?

and you cross-posted.  Many people who disregard the issue will still answer
unless they are led to believe others already have - so you post useless
@^~p without even reading through the message and someone with the answer
skips it because its been answered.

Fine, you meant well - but but no response is better than unsuitable ones.
I can get it cheaper, I have one worth trading and don't want to spend $40
let alone your suggested $50, and NEED to address the compatibility issue,
all without cross posted noise that pisses off people otherwise willing to
help.

So you meant to help.  Maybe you can tell me what I should have said to
solicit only applicable responses without insulting those who actually read
and care what someone is seeking before they jump in and start "talking"?

Maybe I'm just getting up on the wrong side of the roof

0
Stephen

Stephen

maybe, does this help: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

--
William Tasso

0
William
2/1/2004 10:12:00 PM
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:54:46 -0800, jdworley@hiwaay.net wrote:

>William,
>
>I posted for help.  I asked nicely (check my original
>post!).
>
>It's true I obviously did get up on the wrong side of the
>roof on the reply post, and that I was as subtle as a train
>wreck.  I regret that.
>
>If anyone else wants to pass the crow, I'll have another
>serving, but I would rather someone forgave me and offered
>to trade/sell me an RJ-11/12 die set...

Ya know, just in passing, I own TWO amp modular crimp tools.  Both of
them usually have the 6-pin die in it and I swap out the 4-pin and
8-pin dies as I need them.  I make far more 6-pin crimps than anything
else.

For less than the $50 you suggested why don't you suck it up and buy
the die, or buy a second tool for $80?

Carl Navarro

0
Carl
2/2/2004 5:51:47 PM
jdworley@hiwaay.net wrote:
> William,
>
> I posted for help...

I know, my post wasn't entirely directed at yours - just trying to pour oil
on troubled waters.

It's easy to forget there are real people behind the NICs.
--
William Tasso

0
William
2/2/2004 6:43:20 PM
William,

I posted for help.  I asked nicely (check my original
post!).

It's true I obviously did get up on the wrong side of the
roof on the reply post, and that I was as subtle as a train
wreck.  I regret that.

If anyone else wants to pass the crow, I'll have another
serving, but I would rather someone forgave me and offered
to trade/sell me an RJ-11/12 die set...

Thanks William.

Best,

Stephen Kurzban
0
jdworley
2/2/2004 6:54:46 PM
William,

I've been very busy, but wanted to (catch up and say) thank you for all the
links you e-mailed me.

It turns out the story is that Amp (and some others?) has a secondary crimp
place for the conductors just before the contacts area.  Since others may not
(or if they do, they might not be in the same place or specify the same depth)
- this is the source of the incompatibility.  So, it seems my broken die is
what is needed for compatibility with plugs other than Amp, though I would
prefer to trade off and use Amp plugs, it seems I can use any plug with decent
reliability if nobody wants to trade tooling.

Best,

Stephen Kurzban

William Tasso wrote:

> jdworley@hiwaay.net wrote:
> > William,
> >
> > I posted for help...
>
> I know, my post wasn't entirely directed at yours - just trying to pour oil
> on troubled waters.
>
> It's easy to forget there are real people behind the NICs.
> --
> William Tasso

0
Stephen