f



Extending a small LAN

We connect to the world through a DSL modem which by necessity is
located in the centre of our facility. This modem has four LAN ports.
There is a Cat5e line running from one of those ports (LAN1) about 10
metres to our work-room where it connects to the WAN port of a router
which links the four computers and two printers on our LAN. In the
opposite direction from the modem runs another ethernet line (from LAN2)
about 8 metres to an individual workstation.

The modem gets its WAN address from the ISP, obviously, and its LAN
address is fixed at 192.168.10.1. The LAN address of the individual
workstation is 192.168.10.2 and the WAN address of the router in the
main room is 192.168.10.3. The LAN address of the router is 192.168.1.1
and the six units connected to it are .2, .3, .4 etc. The sub-net for
everything (except the WAN side of the modem) is 255.255.255.0. DHCP is
off in both the modem and the router.

All the computers can get out to the internet. The four computers
connected to the router can all print to both printers and move files
amongst themselves.

What I want is for the individual workstation which is not connected to
the router (and can't be, because of the distance involved and layout of
the office) to be able to print and share files with the devices in the
main room, i.e., for it to be on the same LAN.

How do I configure the router (and/or the modem) to be able to do that?
I've been experimenting with various IP combinations but so far all I've
managed to do is lock up the modem twice! (Fortunately the 'reset'
button sorted that out.) I also tried linking the individual workstation
and the router through a pair of PowerLine devices but the speed hit
(compared to the wired gigabit ethernet link) made web browsing
unacceptably slow for the manager using that computer.     :-(

Thanks in advance for any advice.

cheers,

Henry
0
henry999
11/26/2015 11:05:25 AM
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet 1988 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

5 Replies
486 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 13

Per Henry:
>What I want is for the individual workstation which is not connected to
>the router (and can't be, because of the distance involved and layout of
>the office) to be able to print and share files with the devices in the
>main room, i.e., for it to be on the same LAN.
>
>How do I configure the router (and/or the modem) to be able to do that?
>I've been experimenting with various IP combinations but so far all I've
>managed to do is lock up the modem twice! (Fortunately the 'reset'
>button sorted that out.) I also tried linking the individual workstation
>and the router through a pair of PowerLine devices but the speed hit
>(compared to the wired gigabit ethernet link) made web browsing
>unacceptably slow for the manager using that computer.     :-(

This is from somebody who does not much about LANs and/or TCP-IP.

Having said that...

My solution has always been to add something called a "Switch".
In my case, 4 Switches that I can think of off the top of my head.

Router ==> Switch ==> multiple PCs and other devices (including printer
and other switches)

In fact, to keep it simple for me (not having any grey matter to spare)
I have only two connections to my router:  Internet and a switch.

Everything else (including more switches) is connected to that one
router-attached switch.

The only thing the Router is really needed for is traffic to/from the
outside.    That being true, the topology just described keeps my LAN up
and running even if the Router bites the big one.

If you go this route, don't chince out on the switch(es): get gigabit
and get switches with at least twice as many ports as you think you will
need.
-- 
Pete Cresswell
0
PeteCresswell
11/26/2015 2:18:07 PM
On 11/26/15 6:05 AM, Henry wrote:
> We connect to the world through a DSL modem which by necessity is
> located in the centre of our facility. This modem has four LAN ports.
> There is a Cat5e line running from one of those ports (LAN1) about 10
> metres to our work-room where it connects to the WAN port of a router
> which links the four computers and two printers on our LAN. In the
> opposite direction from the modem runs another ethernet line (from LAN2)
> about 8 metres to an individual workstation.
>
> The modem gets its WAN address from the ISP, obviously, and its LAN
> address is fixed at 192.168.10.1. The LAN address of the individual
> workstation is 192.168.10.2 and the WAN address of the router in the
> main room is 192.168.10.3. The LAN address of the router is 192.168.1.1
> and the six units connected to it are .2, .3, .4 etc. The sub-net for
> everything (except the WAN side of the modem) is 255.255.255.0. DHCP is
> off in both the modem and the router.
>
> All the computers can get out to the internet. The four computers
> connected to the router can all print to both printers and move files
> amongst themselves.
>
> What I want is for the individual workstation which is not connected to
> the router (and can't be, because of the distance involved and layout of
> the office) to be able to print and share files with the devices in the
> main room, i.e., for it to be on the same LAN.
>
> How do I configure the router (and/or the modem) to be able to do that?
> I've been experimenting with various IP combinations but so far all I've
> managed to do is lock up the modem twice! (Fortunately the 'reset'
> button sorted that out.) I also tried linking the individual workstation
> and the router through a pair of PowerLine devices but the speed hit
> (compared to the wired gigabit ethernet link) made web browsing
> unacceptably slow for the manager using that computer.     :-(
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> cheers,
>
> Henry
>

Simplest thing to do is replace the router with a Ethernet "switch".

That way all PCs & printers would be on the same 192.168.10.x network. 
(Switches themselves do not have an IP address, unless they are 
"managed").

This assumes you are not using the router also as a WiFi access point 
.. If so, move the router to the modem, and connect the switch and the 
lone PC to it.


0
Retired
11/26/2015 3:58:31 PM
Retired <Retired@home.com> wrote:

> On 11/26/15 6:05 AM, Henry wrote:
> > We connect to the world through a DSL modem which by necessity is
> > located in the centre of our facility. This modem has four LAN ports.
> > There is a Cat5e line running from one of those ports (LAN1) about 10
> > metres to our work-room where it connects to the WAN port of a router
> > which links the four computers and two printers on our LAN. In the
> > opposite direction from the modem runs another ethernet line (from LAN2)
> > about 8 metres to an individual workstation.
> >
> > The modem gets its WAN address from the ISP, obviously, and its LAN
> > address is fixed at 192.168.10.1. The LAN address of the individual
> > workstation is 192.168.10.2 and the WAN address of the router in the
> > main room is 192.168.10.3. The LAN address of the router is 192.168.1.1
> > and the six units connected to it are .2, .3, .4 etc. The sub-net for
> > everything (except the WAN side of the modem) is 255.255.255.0. DHCP is
> > off in both the modem and the router.
> >
> > All the computers can get out to the internet. The four computers
> > connected to the router can all print to both printers and move files
> > amongst themselves.
> >
> > What I want is for the individual workstation which is not connected to
> > the router (and can't be, because of the distance involved and layout of
> > the office) to be able to print and share files with the devices in the
> > main room, i.e., for it to be on the same LAN.
> >
> > How do I configure the router (and/or the modem) to be able to do that?
> > I've been experimenting with various IP combinations but so far all I've
> > managed to do is lock up the modem twice! (Fortunately the 'reset'
> > button sorted that out.) I also tried linking the individual workstation
> > and the router through a pair of PowerLine devices but the speed hit
> > (compared to the wired gigabit ethernet link) made web browsing
> > unacceptably slow for the manager using that computer.     :-(
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice.
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Henry
> >
> 
> Simplest thing to do is replace the router with a Ethernet "switch".
> 
> That way all PCs & printers would be on the same 192.168.10.x network.
> (Switches themselves do not have an IP address, unless they are 
> "managed").
> 
> This assumes you are not using the router also as a WiFi access point
> . If so, move the router to the modem, and connect the switch and the
> lone PC to it.


Thanks, Retired. It was as simple as that.

We previously had cablemodem service with a very basic modem: one coax
input, from the video cable; and one RJ45 output. So we needed a router.
Then the ISP changed us to this VDSL modem, with, apparently, a router
built-in. Don't need two routers, no.     :-)

cheers, all the best --

Henry
0
henry999
11/26/2015 6:16:03 PM
Per Henry:
>Then the ISP changed us to this VDSL modem, with, apparently, a router
>built-in. Don't need two routers, no.     :-)

It can be useful to distinguish between "Router", "Switch" and "Modem".

Just to make matters confusing, most Routers contain both a Switch and a
Router.... and many (but not all....) cable modems contain a Modem, a
Router, and a Switch.

-- 
Pete Cresswell
0
PeteCresswell
11/26/2015 8:27:34 PM
In comp.dcom.lans.ethernet Henry <henry999@eircom.net> wrote:
> Retired <Retired@home.com> wrote:
 
>> On 11/26/15 6:05 AM, Henry wrote:
>> > We connect to the world through a DSL modem which by necessity is
>> > located in the centre of our facility. This modem has four LAN ports.
>> > There is a Cat5e line running from one of those ports (LAN1) about 10
>> > metres to our work-room where it connects to the WAN port of a router
>> > which links the four computers and two printers on our LAN. In the
>> > opposite direction from the modem runs another ethernet line (from LAN2)
>> > about 8 metres to an individual workstation.

(snip)
>> Simplest thing to do is replace the router with a Ethernet "switch".
 
>> That way all PCs & printers would be on the same 192.168.10.x network.
>> (Switches themselves do not have an IP address, unless they are 
>> "managed").
 
(snip)

> Thanks, Retired. It was as simple as that.
 
> We previously had cablemodem service with a very basic modem: one coax
> input, from the video cable; and one RJ45 output. So we needed a router.
> Then the ISP changed us to this VDSL modem, with, apparently, a router
> built-in. Don't need two routers, no.     :-)

Sometimes it is nice to have two routers, the usual reason being that
you have some hosts, like the workstation you mention, that you don't
want to have access to the other network.

One reason for NAT routers is to not allow such access.

Some can be configured as more conventional (not NAT) routers.

But your solution is probably the right one.

-- glen
0
glen
11/27/2015 9:13:17 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

When LAN-to-LAN and when 1-to-LAN.
Sorry guys, maybe the question has been already posted but I would like to clearly distinguish whether the following scenario could accept both the solutions or I need without no doubts the LAN-to-LAN. Imagine you have 2 LANs or 2 groups of LANs (say A that offers services and the other one (B) that access A resources) located behind 2 devices doing NAT: it is quite simple, that's the most common scenario. Would be possible to use software clients installed on workstations belonging to network B accessing the same endpoint (the public endpoint of A LAN) using IPsec? I don&#...

Connect to ethernet LAN through dial-up direct to a computer on the LAN?
Hi. I'm back with another idea. I investigated a dry pair, and after hours of talking to many people at the phone company (Verizon), finally someone did give me the "correct name" of what I was asking for a "PL Dry Pair Circuit". Well I may still try to get them to do that, but with the trouble so far, I would like to try another approach first. Is it possible to connect to a server (with a dotted quad address) connected via Ethernet to a computer, by setting up that computer to answer a dial-up call (via 56k modem) from a computer calling it. That is dialin...

Lan to Lan connections
I want to set up a Lan to Lan connection in my neighborhood. I have a home Lan configured thusly: Motorola sb5100 Surfboard modem (cable modem) connected to: Linksys 802.11b Wireless Access Point Router with 4-port switch. I have three PCs connected to the router/switch. The Lan I need to connect to is configured with exactly the same hardware at the front end but has additional switches connecting more PCs. I would like to set up a VPN connection. Can anyone recommend necessary hardware/software? Also, if anyone has an interconnection block diagram or can accurately, ve...

Sonicwall Lan-to-Lan
Hi all, Thanks in advance I am have a problem with a IKE connection between sonicwalls, i can only ping (by IP) from the IKE Initiator, DNS/WINS doesn't work. this is the log from the Initiator. (Dymanic IP) 02/21/2006 16:05:07.848 Starting IKE negotiation 80.5.132.14 213.107.169.56 02/21/2006 16:05:07.848 IKE Initiator: Aggressive Mode Phase 1 Done 02/21/2006 16:05:07.848 IKE Initiator: Begin Phase 2 02/21/2006 16:05:07.896 IKE negotiation complete. Adding IPSec SA. Phase 2 Done this is the log from the Responder. (Static IP) 02/21/2006 16:05:07.848 Starting IKE ...

lan to lan router
Hi all, I would really apreciate some suggestion regarding a lan to lan router. It should be able to select from either port (service) or source IP to select which Internet gateway to use and, of course, be able to route between the two lans. And be inexpensive. Is there such a thing? Thanks in advance, Wrate John Wrate <lolo8000@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > I would really apreciate some suggestion regarding a lan to lan > router. It should be able to select from either port (service) or > source IP to select which Internet gateway to use and, of cou...

Lan to Lan on same subnet
Good Afternoon all, Question: is it possible to bring up a lan to lan vpn between a PIX and a concentrator if they are on the same ip scheme and subnet on the inside? Right now I got a PIX 501 on inside ip 192.168.2.99 There is nothing plugged into the inside of this pix On my concentrator side I have the inside 192.168.2.70 and a corp lan behind it When I change the inside ip of my pix, access lists, and conctrator settings to a different LAN IP I can bring the tunnel up but if I make it the same ip it won't come up. I am allowing the whole subnet through on both acls on the concetr...

PIX501 lan-to-lan and PPTP
Help! I am having problems with LAN-to-LAN and PPTP at the same time on a PIX501 (6.3). LAN-to-LAN works perfect with these settings, but with PPTP i am having a big problem. I can connect with my MS VPN client to the PIX. I receive an IP address from the PIX, but i cannot do anything on the LAN. Can anybody put me in the right direction? Here's some output (only the interesting parts) : access-list inside_outbound_nat0_acl permit ip 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.12.0 255.255.255.0 access-list outside_cryptomap_20 permit ip 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.12.0 255.255.255.0 access...

Vigor2500 vpn lan-to-lan
Hello Does anyone know how to use the following configuration of the cisco vpn client on a Vigor2500 router: Connection entry Hostname Group name Group password Then a popup window appears to logon to the remote network I would like to configure the Vigor2500 modem/router to setup a vpn connection to a remote network,just like the example at http://www.liquidlan.com/technote0007.htm Cheers IRL ...

PIX
I searched cisco/google and cannot find any example/reference to my situation. I don't know if it can be done. Scenario: PIX 515 ver. 6.2(2) (will update if necessary) will have a VPN lan-2-lan connection to a router (Cisco) at a customer location. Access has to be limited to one machine/IP on my side and one machine/IP on the customer side. The machine on my side cannot be on my internal LAN. Since my PIX has 6 interfaces, can I put this machine on an interface with security 80 and allow it to access the customer machine? Can somebody give me a configuration example? I use NAT and ...

VPN lan to lan
i have 2 pixes (501) and 1 pix is VPN serverThere is VPN site - to - site i am trying to connect ftrom home connection is OK but i can not use Remote admin (like before) - before i had VPN server only - n site to site - i was doing the same things like www.cisco .cotutorial and does not work this is my config Office interface ethernet0 auto interface ethernet1 100full nameif ethernet0 outside security0 nameif ethernet1 inside security100 access-list 100 permit ip 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 50.50.67.112 255.255.255.240 access-list 100 permit ip 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.7.0 255....

LAN-to-LAN with ASA55xx or routers
we're renting 100Mbit/s LAN-to-LAN connections from one sentral site to about 10 remote offices. When upgrading the network equipment we can't decide if we should use: 1) routers (e.g. 2811) at the branch offices, and a larger router or an ASA5520 at the sentral site. or 2) ASA5510 at the branch offices and a larger (e.g. ASA5520) at the sentral site. Will the 2811 have enough throughput to compete with the ASA? Is 2) a wise choice or is it not neccessary to use ASAs in both end? We don't need any advanced routing at our sites, and I understand that the ASAs wil do basic r...

PIX LAN-to-LAN troubles
Hi, This problem is giving me some headaches. I hope someone can help me out here. I've got the following setup : Internet -- router --- PIX1 ---DSLrouter1-- VPN --DSLrouter2--- PIX2 ----- LAN2 | LAN1 router : 10.194.124.1/27 LAN 1: 10.194.124.0/27 PIX 1 on the inside : 10.194.124.26/27 PIX 1 on the outside : 217.21.245.132/29 PIX 2 on the inside : 10.194.124.193/27 PIX 2 on the outside : 217.21.241.110/24 LAN 2 : 10.194.124.192/27 the router is the gateway to the outside world, so LAN2 uses PIX2 as the default gateway and PIX2 uses router a...

LAN to LAN using IPSec
Hello all, IS I have 2 vpn "concetrators" at 2 remote locations I can create an IPSec "tunnel" right? If I can and do this "tunnel" will the clients on one LAN be able to communicate with the clients on the other? Assuming my routes are good and im NAT'ed ok. I dont get the difference between PPTP and IPSec. Other than the encrtyption aspect. I can get pptp running no problem and I "get it" but how's IPSec different? thank you for your time and knowledge! J > IS I have 2 vpn "concetrators" at 2 remote locations I ...

routers LAN to WAN to LAN
I have a question with reguards to how messages are sent between PCs from the internet. Assumming PC pA is behind Router rA and PC pB is behind Router rB and pA wants to send a message to pB. Both private ip are assigned via DHCP and both has static WAN IP. when pA sends a message to pB, it uses pB's public IP (WAN) and the message gets to the router (rB). How does the router (rB) know that it has to route the message to pB? Duwayne wrote: > I have a question with reguards to how messages are sent between PCs > from the internet. Assumming PC pA is behind Router rA and PC...

Web resources about - Extending a small LAN - comp.dcom.lans.ethernet

Facebook Extending Custom Audiences To All Advertisers, All Ad Interfaces
Facebook’s custom audiences ad-targeting option, which was initially introduced in October 2012 via the social network’s ads application-programming ...

Extending the Adoption Schedule for Ads API version 2.2
New blog post for extending v 2.2 timeline.

The Platform Rush of ’08: Extending Social Platforms to the Open Web
... of ’07 was about creating APIs for third party developers to build applications on social networks, the Platform Rush of ’08 is about extending ...

Extending Unemployment Benefits Makes Good Economic Sense Too
Our lawmakers will be debating this week the emergency benefits received by the long-term unemployed. There are solid economic and social arguments ...

President Obama Speaks on Extending Tax Cuts for Middle Class Families - YouTube
President Obama calls on Congress to extend the tax cuts for the 98 percent of Americans making less than $250,000 for another year so that millions ...

Amazon aims to take over the world by extending reach
Will internet giant Amazon evolve into the biggest retailer in the world? Katherine Rushton reports.

Bresnan eyes extending wood fire ban
Bresnan eyes extending wood fire ban

Vietnam legacy: Extending the hand of friendship to old enemies
ON Australia Day 1968, a small force of Australian Diggers stormed a Vietnamese camp and found themselves locked in a bloody 17-hour firefight ...

Crown casino in secret talks to seek deal on extending licence until 2092
CROWN Casino is demanding a 99 year licence from the government in a radical bid that would extend its operations until 2092.

BMW Championships: Aussie Jason Day closes in on world No. 1 ranking after extending lead
THE drought lasted nearly two decades, but now Jason Day stands on the precipice of becoming the second Australian world golf No. 1 in 12 months. ...

Resources last updated: 1/24/2016 11:12:16 PM