Looking for Ethernet Blade Switch With Isolated Segments

I am looking for a 4U switch that can insert about six ports on blades,
similar to this idea:
http://www.tccomm.com/FiberOpticProducts/Products/Ethernet-Network-Devices/Ethernet-Switches/103/Industrial-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch

The key requirement though is that each inserted card act as an independent
ethernet switch.  I don't want to hassle with defining VLANs that isolate
ports on each blade.

My application is a firewall, with many segments.   Currently we stack a lot
of 1U and 2U ethernet switches, and the real estate for all of those
switches is expensive in terms of rack space.   A 4U box with eight
insertable blades would give me eight ethernet segments to play with in an
extremely condensed space.    Does anyone make this?

Alternately, I could look for rackmountable ethernet switches that are about
1/2 U, if those exist.

nish

0
nish
12/8/2015 11:39:22 PM
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet 1988 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

"nish" <nisha@nunya.org> wrote in message
>I am looking for a 4U switch that can insert about six ports on blades,
>similar to this idea:
> http://www.tccomm.com/FiberOpticProducts/Products/Ethernet-Network-Devices/Ethernet-Switches/103/Industrial-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch
>
> The key requirement though is that each inserted card act as an
> independent ethernet switch.  I don't want to hassle with defining VLANs
> that isolate ports on each blade.
>
> My application is a firewall, with many segments.   Currently we stack a
> lot of 1U and 2U ethernet switches, and the real estate for all of those
> switches is expensive in terms of rack space.   A 4U box with eight
> insertable blades would give me eight ethernet segments to play with in an
> extremely condensed space.    Does anyone make this?
>
> Alternately, I could look for rackmountable ethernet switches that are
> about 1/2 U, if those exist.

Looks like a good solution might be 5 to 8 port industrial ethernet switches
that mount on a DIN rail.  That gives you the entire depth of a server
cabinet to mount 4U high switches, side by side.

I also noticed that most of these are DC powered devices, and the DC powered
ethernet switches appear to use about 4 watts of energy versus closer to 40
watts for equivalent AC powered products.

nish

0
nish

Ethernet over Ethernet
Bonjour, I don't know the reason why it is not possible to have an Ethernet frame (ETH) directly encapsulated in an Ethernet frame (ETH). Take care, I'm not talking about 802.1ah-2008 MAC-in-MAC, or 802.1ad-2005 Q-in-Q. There is no Ethertype. The only possibility is: ETH over MPLS over ETH, with the Ethertype 0x8847. Thanks for your opinion, Michelot On 04.06.2010 13:39 Michelot wrote > I don't know the reason why it is not possible to have an Ethernet > frame (ETH) directly encapsulated in an Ethernet frame (ETH). > > Take care, I'm not ...

Looking for an Ethernet switch (12-48p.) with an SDH redundant optical fibre LAN uplink
Hi all, I am looking for a commercially available Ethernet switch (12 to 48 port, 100/1000 ) that would be able to use a (preferablelly) redundant SDH LAN uplink over optical fiber. Is there such a thing?. I tried, but was unable to find it by searching the internet. I am aware that in a derivative from 10GbE. standard from IEEE 802.3ae, (10GBASE-W) the WAN PHY encapsulates ethernet data using a light-weight SDH frame to be compatible at low level with equipment designed to carry SDH, but ... 1) I am unsure if this <is/can be/is normally> implemented as a redundant link ( uplink...

Ethernet/Fast Ethernet/Gig Ethernet Distances over media
Hello I was hoping someone could help me out here... Has anyone seen a chart/matrix which shows distance limitations for Ethernet, Fast Ethernet and Gig Ethernet over the various media types? I have googled for the information and found what I need for Ethernet, but not as a single chart. Also, there seems to be some conflicting information out there. Thanks for your time Chris In article <bqhqeh$gtn$1@visp.bt.co.uk>, "Chris Harvey" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote: > Hello > > I was hoping someone could help me out here... > >...

Can 803 (ISDN-ethernet) work ethernet-ethernet?
e.g. as a broadband router, with an ADSL-ethernet modem? I think the 803's four ethernet ports are all just a hub, not addressable individually... Peter. -- Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail. E-mail replies to peter4400@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y. Please do NOT copy usenet posts to email - it is NOT necessary. Peter wrote: > e.g. as a broadband router, with an ADSL-ethernet modem? No. > I think the 803's four ethernet ports are all just a hub, not > addressable individually... Yup. Regards, Marco. You can do nat on a stick, bu...

Looking for low cost Ethernet split switch
I am doing some testing, I have Two router boards (switch ports), I have to connect my laptop to one board at a time, everytime 15 Minutes I have to swap my laptop ethernet connection to the board, Is there any dumb ethernet split switch available (low cost), can some expert advice me. Thanks. this split switch should have 2 or more inputs and one output, so I can position one of the input always, that's all, looking for some real cheap switch. VT wrote: > I am doing some testing, I have Two router boards (switch ports), I > have to connect my laptop to one board at ...

Looking for low cost Ethernet split switch
I am doing some testing, I have Two router boards (switch ports), I have to connect my laptop to one board at a time, everytime 15 Minutes I have to swap my laptop ethernet connection to the board, Is there any dumb ethernet split switch available (low cost), can some expert advice me. Thanks. this split switch should have 2 or more inputs and one output, so I can position one of the input always, that's all, looking for some real cheap switch. VT wrote: > I am doing some testing, I have Two router boards (switch ports), I > have to connect my laptop to one board at a ...

Alteon 180e Gigabit ethernet switch and Sun X1141A/X1140A Gigabit ethernet NICs
Hi, I am wondering whether the following switch will work with the X1141A/X1140A Gigabit ethernet NICs; http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5737917042&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT The switch supports RJ45 and multimode fibre connections. Thanks and regards, Andrew Andrew Tyson <atyson@optus.kindly.refrain.from.spamming.net> wrote: > I am wondering whether the following switch will work with the > X1141A/X1140A Gigabit ethernet NICs; > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5737917042&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT &...

Ethernet Switch
Hi networkers, I am running out of ports (only 4) on my ADSL router. So it's time to buy an ethernet switch. I need some questions answered to inform my choice. 1) Is 'auto-sensing' important? 2) Do I need a 10/100/1000 Mbps switch or would a 10/100 Mbps one do? Cheers, Dave Lane -- In the groves of their academy, at the end of every Vista, you see nothing but the gallows. -- Burke. -- a prophet for our time? On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:54:42 GMT David R Lane <D_Lane@Lakeview.demon.co.uk> wrote: > Hi networkers, > > I am running out of p...

Looking for Small Ethernet Switch With One SFP and a Few 10/100
I have a small media converter application for a test lab where I need to connect a 10/100 device to an optical gigabit ethernet device. Having failed to find any media converter that could handle this (many such converters do 100 FX to 100 TX but NOT true gigE to 100 TX), I am now looking for a very small ethernet switch that would help me with this task. I need a single SFP for uplink and preferably just a few 10/100 ports. Space is an issue for this application. Anything with more than eight ports is too large. Any help in identifying a product is appreciated. -- Will ...

Bridging two Ethernet LAN segments with FDDI: possible options?
I have my LAN in two buildings, about 100' apart. Right now I have a 100' CAT5 cable running between the two buildings. This *mostly* works, but 100' of Ethernet cable is pretty much right on the limit for a reliable network. I would *like* to run a FDDI (fiber optic) cable and use a pair a PCI FDDI cards (easy to get on E-Bay), but recently discovered that it is not possible to create a software bridge between (copper) Ethernet NICs and FDDI NICs, due to low-level differences (stuff like endianness of the MAC addresses and packet sizes). What alternitive options do I ...

Ethernet and non Ethernet Leads
When pertaining to IP telephony, what are Ethernet and non Ethernet leads? Is that simply that, the pairs used to transmit data are referred to Ethernet leads and the pairs that aren't are then referred to as non Ethernet leads? IKV ...

ethernet frequency and power on ethernet
Hello, I am want know the frequency of the ethernet data so that i can decide on the value of the inductor through which i can feed DC power. I have heard the ethernet can range from DC to 10 Mhz (10TBase), in this case i cannot feed power on ethernet. Yes i know about power on ethernet but the power i want to transfer is 60 W, so i feed the power directly to the line I need what is value of the inductor i have to choose. Waiting for reply Regards Praveen In article <ff8a3afb.0410250004.3e8be6d1@posting.google.com>, praveen <praveenkumar1979@rediffmail.com> wrote:...

Ethernet over T1 (Ethernet over WAN...)
When we can run PPP over T1, then why cant we have Ethernet frames transmitted over T1. Once we have a PPP packet we would be transmitting it in DS0 channels - we can perhaps use the same logic to transmit ethernet frames. Comments ? Thanks Steve On 17.10.2004 10:15 Mark wrote: > When we can run PPP over T1, then why cant we have Ethernet frames > transmitted over T1. > > Once we have a PPP packet we would be transmitting it in DS0 channels > - we can perhaps use the same logic to transmit ethernet frames. > > Comments ? > hint: "no ip...

ethernet lan ...
hello, i'm trying to network xp-pro to xp-pro on laptop via ethernet and a crossover cable. tried the network connection wizard (set up home or small office network) and it didn't work. i'm using both cards for a dsl connection as well - this may be causing the aggravation? does anyone have some advice or a good link to explain how to do this? thanks ...

Web resources about - Looking for Ethernet Blade Switch With Isolated Segments - comp.dcom.lans.ethernet

Gigabit Ethernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer networking , Gigabit Ethernet ( GbE or 1 GigE ) is a term describing various technologies for transmitting Ethernet frames at a rate ...

Metro Ethernet (@MetroEthernet) on Twitter

Ethernet Alliance
The Ethernet Alliance is a global community that includes system vendors, component vendors, end users, industry experts and university and government ...

Ethernet Cable - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... his laptop and Xbox at the same time because the university only provides a wired network in study bedrooms. So today I bought a small Ethernet ...

Bit-banging Ethernet on an ATTiny85 - YouTube
NOTE: I have done significantly better. Check out my half-duplex project here!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4f4OzEyueg NOTE: As has been ...

New Apple TV has 2 GB RAM, included 802.11ac WiFi is faster than its Ethernet port
... The new Apple TV has the following hardware specifications: 64-bit A8 processor 32GB or 64GB of storage 2GB of RAM 10/100Mbps Ethernet ...

ASUS Launches Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly for Skylake, includes 10G Ethernet Card
... part from this launch comes in the bundle, which includes a front panel audio DAC (connecting into a USB header) but also a 10G Ethernet card. ...

Chromecast Ethernet Adapter Is Back In Stock After Quickly Selling Out At Launch
A week ago Google released an ethernet adapter for the Chromecast, and a good number of people thought, "Yeah, I want that." Thus the product ...

Gallery: we tear apart a $340 audiophile Ethernet cable and look inside
Lee Hutchinson Audiophile-grade "Vodka" Ethernet cables, from AudioQuest. They even have directional indicators! 34 more images in gallery ...

Inateck USB hub and Ethernet adapter improves ultrabooks' usability
... end panel, and connects via a standard USB socket. The HB4103 offers three USB ports on top as before, but the end panel now carries an Ethernet ...