Cable boxes' signals compared to cable modems' signals..

Hello.

I was at my parents' place again, and was noticed some of their TWC's
digital channels (e.g., HBO) were not always clear (pixellated,
corruptions, etc.). It didn't matter which room too, through HDTVs'
tuners or TWC's Motorola cable boxes, etc. I looked at Motorola's
diagnostics and confused on how to read these technical info(rmation)
compared to cable modems. There's a lot more than cable modems'! Am I
only looking at their download and upload streams? I don't think I saw
any SNR values? There were a long menu list of options!

If it is a low signal issue due to very long coax cables and many
splitters due to the size of their place, then what's the best way to
fix it? Put a signal amplifier in where the TWC coax cable enters the
building? I remember they had issues with their Internet and phone
services due to signals even when TWC technician was installing a few
years ago. I assume the switch over to all digital and losing analog
(they still have analog and some free digital QAM channels) will not fix
this issue?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"If I find one beer can in that car, it's over!" --Red; "And no donuts
either! Ants!" --Kitty from That '70s Show pilot

On Sunday, June 22, 2014 at 5:05:59 PM UTC-7, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>=20
> I was at my parents' place again, and was noticed some of their TWC's=20
> digital channels (e.g., HBO) were not always clear (pixellated,=20
> corruptions, etc.). It didn't matter which room too, through HDTVs'=20
> tuners or TWC's Motorola cable boxes, etc. I looked at Motorola's=20
> diagnostics and confused on how to read these technical info(rmation)=20
> compared to cable modems. There's a lot more than cable modems'! Am I=20
> only looking at their download and upload streams? I don't think I saw=20
> any SNR values? There were a long menu list of options!
>=20
> If it is a low signal issue due to very long coax cables and many=20
> splitters due to the size of their place, then what's the best way to=20
> fix it? Put a signal amplifier in where the TWC coax cable enters the=20
> building? I remember they had issues with their Internet and phone=20
> services due to signals even when TWC technician was installing a few=20
> years ago. I assume the switch over to all digital and losing analog=20
> (they still have analog and some free digital QAM channels) will not fix=
=20
> this issue?
>=20
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --=20
> "If I find one beer can in that car, it's over!" --Red; "And no donuts=20
> either! Ants!" --Kitty from That '70s Show pilot
>     /\___/\         Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
>    / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
>   | |o   o| |
>      \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
>       ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
> Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.

The best way to fix it, it to review the house with your parents and pick a=
  SINGLE splitter location, have new RG6 wires run from each outlet to that=
 location.=20

The lazy way to fix it, is find out where the signal it still in spec but o=
n the lower side of the range and install a house amp then repeat as necess=
ary, but this does not fix the return, and is not future proof.  It's also =
akin to a list of ailments like excessive tilt, excessive return levels, an=
d multiple points of potential failure.

DO what you want, but only one is the "Right" way.

No digital only will only make it worse, instead of slightly fuzzy analog s=
ignal which the eyes can adjust to, you get tiling which looks like an inco=
mplete puzzle. AKA pixelation.
0
tech9857

[rfc-dist] RFC 4639 on Cable Device Management Information Base for Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) Compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 4639 Title: Cable Device Management Information Base for Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) Compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems Author: R. Woundy, K. Marez Status: Standards Track Date: December 2006 Mailbox: richard_woundy@cable.comcast.com, kevin.marez@motorola.com Pages: 88 ...

For those who have Ambit cable modems on Time Warner Cable (TWC)'s RoadRunner (RR) ...
.... do you have freeze/lock ups during heavy downloads sometimes? It seems to be only happening with Ambit U10C018 cable modem model and started after TWC RR's PowerBoost was added to the service several months ago. Others and I reported this problem in the past like in: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24972154- http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24650236-Cable-modem-drops-connection-2-5-times-a-day.-Why- My cable modem logs during the lock up and after power cycling: http://pastie.org/1280877 and http://pastie.org/1199610 ... I am wondering if anyone else is seeing this pr...

Cable Modem Signal
I have a Motorola SB4200. I just went into the modem page and saw the following values (approx) for signal strength: DOWNSTREAM Signal to noise Ratio (SNR): from 37 and 39 dB (mostly around 38 dB) Power Level: 5 dBmV UPSTREAM Power Level: 34 dBmV Is this good or bad? I'm trying to see if a weak signal is what is causing my router to occasionally lose the WAN connection (connection from the cable modem to the router WAN port). Thanks, Harvey I'd rather see the output level a bit higher, but your input and SNR numbers are great. Input level can safely...

Linksys cable modem 'Information Wizard' pages inaccessible
I've had a Linksys cable modem BEFCMU10 for years. And for years I was able to surf to the "Information Wizard" page by entering 192.168.100.1 in IE. Now I cannot and I can't figure out why. I get the "page cannot be found" message. Linksys has not been very helpful. Any hints appreciated. I have tried: Connecting one PC directly to the cable modem. Putting that PC on the same subnet. Resetting the modem countless times Using different PC's in my attempt(s) Yelling at the screen and banging my fist on the keyboard. System: Bunch of PCs...

signal amplifiers and cable modems
I hooked up a cable signal amp tonight to help boost the picture on my television and ati wonder card. It worked great except that it blew my cable modem. I got another modem but am afraid to hook it up to the spliter with the television and the ati card like I had it before. Anyone else run into this problem. Any solutions(besides running another cable box for the modem, I know I can do that but don't want to). This is a Phillips amp that gives a 12dB gain. Should this have blown my modem? I don't know much about bandwith or dB's so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, ...

Cable Modem Signal Levels
I've been told by a tech that high signal levels on the cable line are bad and can cause low speeds (suppose to have received a bump in download cap to 3mbs - but I don't obtain the increase). What is the mechanism by which the high signal levels impede the data transmission speed? Thanks, Harvey "Harvey Gratt" <hgratt@comcast.net> wrote in message news:xwjEb.587365$Tr4.1561006@attbi_s03... > I've been told by a tech that high signal levels on the cable line are > bad and can cause low speeds (suppose to have received a bump in > downloa...

I have 6 PC's with Linux installed and Cable modem with LAN connection, How can I hookup all these PC's to Internet??
I have 6 PC's with various Linux flavors and Cable modem connection from Comcast (LAN connection provided on Cable Modem), also 8-port Linksys switch, How can I hook all these PC's to Network, I have half dozen extra NIC cards. If I install one extra NIC card in one of the Linux PC (two NIC cards in one PC) and connect one NIC card to cable modem and other NIC card to 8-port switch will it work (do I have to do any configuration)?. Or if I connect cable modem directly to one port on the switch and other 6 PC's to switch on other 6 slots, will that work?. Thanks. GS wrote: > I...

Got a new Ambit cable modem... Don't know what model and can't find its internal web pages?
Hi! I just exchanged my old Terayon TJ715X cable modem for a new Ambit cable modem from my local TWC office. http://192.168.100.1 doesn't seem to work. I hope it has one somewhere so I can check for logs, statistics, etc. Where is it and any passwords to know? Thank you in advance. :) -- "I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow /\___/\ / /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) | |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net \ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlin...

Modem ping: "chat -v -s '' 'ATZ' < /dev/modem > /dev/modem" fails?
On machine-1 the command line: chat -v -s '' 'ATZ' < /dev/modem > /dev/modem returns: send (ATZ^M) and I get my command line back, but the same command on machine-2 fails, it doesn't give me back the command line it just hangs there with no output. There are also no chat processes running when I issue 'ps aux' on another terminal. Both machines successfully work at connecting to the internet with the default ppp/chat scripts, the only difference is machine-1 has /dev/modem->/dev/ttyS3 (internal modem) and machine-2 has /dev/modem->/dev/ttyS1 (exte...

cable modem signal issues, and how they were resolved
I feel the need to share the iterations that woway took to resolve a signal issue with my cable modem. I'm pleased with their effort. It's a Scientific Atlanta WebStar dpx100 series cable modem P/N 749874. The symptoms I was having were periodic loss of connectivity, less than advertised downstream bandwitdh (4.5mbps vs 6), and in some instance, failure of the upstream channel to sync. My cable modem is at the end of the line in a 2 story home with 4 outlets upstairs, and 4 on the first floor and 1 in the basement. Cable drop comes into the basement level. Instal...

Way OT
This morning, I was intermittently losing my cable connection - I'd stay connected a few minutes or seconds, then it would disconnect for a few minutes or seconds, reconnect for a few minutes then disconnect, etc.etc. This continued for about 3-4 hours, during which time I called Adelphia and after doing whatever checks they do on their end, told me it sounded like a problem with my cable signal, and will send someone out Tuesday to check the line. I looked up what some of the causes could be and found the following on a website: 1 Use of rg-59 wire (better to use rg-6) 2 Screw On Fittings...

Cable Modem vs. TV Signal
Hello, I was wondering if there is a software that exists to retrieve the cable tv signal from the cable line. Is it actually possible ? It would be nice cause that way, I wouldn't have to buy a tv tuner to be have to watch tv on my computer. Thanks a lot in advance! -SwappY- On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 21:09:42 -0400, -SwappY- wrote: > I was wondering if there is a software that exists to retrieve the cable > tv signal from the cable line. Is it actually possible ? It would be > nice cause that way, I wouldn't have to buy a tv tuner to be have to > watch tv on ...

Way OT
This morning, I was intermittently losing my cable connection - I'd stay connected a few minutes or seconds, then it would disconnect for a few minutes or seconds, reconnect for a few minutes then disconnect, etc.etc. This continued for about 3-4 hours, during which time I called Adelphia and after doing whatever checks they do on their end, told me it sounded like a problem with my cable signal, and will send someone out Tuesday to check the line. I looked up what some of the causes could be and found the following on a website: 1 Use of rg-59 wire (better to use rg-6) 2 Screw On Fittings...

Question: IS a Null Modem Cable the same as a Laplink Cable?
Is a Null modem cable the same as a laplink cable? If not, whats the difference? Thank you. Paul Want to Fix Something? http://www.manuals4you.com Previously Yikes!ItsIke <Yikes!ItsIke@younameit.com> wrote: > Is a Null modem cable the same as a laplink cable? > If not, whats the difference? Haha, good question! Unfortunalely there is no correct answer. The problem is that there are different ways to connect the handshaking lines. All these can be called a "null-modem cable". All might be called a "laplink cable" by some vendor or other. ...

Web resources about - Cable boxes' signals compared to cable modems' signals.. - comp.dcom.modems.cable