Do you have to have digital cable to have cable modem internet service?

Hello.  Do you have to have digital cable service to have cable modem
internet service?  Right now, I have analog cable service and a dial-up
account.  Has anyone heard of this before?  The cable company is Mediacom.
I have not spoken with anyone from Mediacom.

Thank you,
Jason Whorton

0
Jason
7/10/2003 10:12:17 AM
comp.dcom.modems.cable 1799 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Jason Whorton" <jason at microxl.com> wrote:

> Hello.  Do you have to have digital cable service to have cable modem
> internet service?  Right now, I have analog cable service and a dial-up
> account.  Has anyone heard of this before?  The cable company is Mediacom.
> I have not spoken with anyone from Mediacom.

I have cable modem and analog TV service.  However, Mediacom who you should
be asking.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.
0
James
7/10/2003 10:49:20 AM
No, but the system you are on has to be offering it, and then it doesn't
always mean you can get cable modem service.  Here in my part of NW
California, we got digital cable first, then about a year later cable modems
came.  It involves a lot of work and upgrades.

"James Knott" <bit_bucket@rogers.com> wrote in message
> "Jason Whorton" <jason at microxl.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello.  Do you have to have digital cable service to have cable modem
> > internet service?  Right now, I have analog cable service and a dial-up
> > account.  Has anyone heard of this before?  The cable company is
Mediacom.
> > I have not spoken with anyone from Mediacom.
>
> I have cable modem and analog TV service.  However, Mediacom who you
should
> be asking.
>
> --
>
> Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.
>
> To reply to this message, replace everything to the left of "@" with
> james.knott.

0
Mike
7/10/2003 10:52:49 AM
"Rod Smith" <rodsmith@nessus.rodsbooks.com> wrote in message
> In article <vgqf07p6tblq82@corp.supernews.com>,
> "Jason Whorton" <jason at microxl.com> writes:
> >
> > Hello.  Do you have to have digital cable service to have cable
modem
> > internet service?  Right now, I have analog cable service and a
dial-up
> > account.  Has anyone heard of this before?  The cable company is
Mediacom.
> > I have not spoken with anyone from Mediacom.
>
> From a technical perspective, no.

Thanks.  THAT is what I was looking for.  I wanted to know in general,
not as it relates to just my possible cable modem service provider.  I
get analog cable from them.

Thank you very much,
Jason Whorton

 In fact, you don't need to have cable TV
> service at all; you could subscribe ONLY to the cable modem service.
> (Personally, I've got cable modem and telephone service via Cox; I
ditched
> their TV in favor of DirecTV close to a year ago.)
>
> From a business perspective, usually no, but you should really ask
your
> provider. Some cable companies require you to subscribe to at least a
> minimal cable TV package before they'll sell you cable modem service.
> don't think I've ever heard of any who require you to subscribe to
> DIGITAL cable TV service, but I wouldn't put it beyond them.
>
> --
> Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
> http://www.rodsbooks.com
> Author of books on Linux, FreeBSD, and networking

0
Jason
7/10/2003 7:01:53 PM
Still, you should be asking the cable company.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.
0
James
7/10/2003 9:34:57 PM
I know for sure that Charter you dont necessarily NEED cable but if you
dont' they charge a $10 access fee.

> Still, you should be asking the cable company.
>
> Mike C wrote:
>
> > No, but the system you are on has to be offering it, and then it doesn't
> > always mean you can get cable modem service.  Here in my part of NW
> > California, we got digital cable first, then about a year later cable
> > modems
> > came.  It involves a lot of work and upgrades.
> >
> > "James Knott" <bit_bucket@rogers.com> wrote in message

> > Mediacom.
> >>
> >> I have cable modem and analog TV service.  However, Mediacom who you
> > should
> >> be asking.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.
> >>
> >> To reply to this message, replace everything to the left of "@" with
> >> james.knott.
> >

> --
>
> Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.
>
> To reply to this message, replace everything to the left of "@" with
> james.knott.

0
CCTEch
7/10/2003 10:02:33 PM
I don't buy any TV service from Knology Cable.  There's nothing on it
but spam, you know.....

To answer your question, NO.  You don't need any TV service to have
cable internet.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:12:17 -0500, "Jason Whorton" <jason at
microxl.com> wrote:

>Hello.  Do you have to have digital cable service to have cable modem
>internet service?  Right now, I have analog cable service and a dial-up
>account.  Has anyone heard of this before?  The cable company is Mediacom.
>I have not spoken with anyone from Mediacom.
>
>Thank you,
>Jason Whorton

73 de Larry W4CharlestonSC
RF radiation hazards since 1957...

0
nospam
7/10/2003 11:41:48 PM
nospam@home.com (Larry) wrote in message news:<3f0df991.3965657@news.usenetserver.com>...
> I don't buy any TV service from Knology Cable.  There's nothing on it
> but spam, you know.....
>
> To answer your question, NO.  You don't need any TV service to have
> cable internet.

And as long as the technology stays the same, cable TV & internet are
delivered using pretty much the same frequencies on the coax.  If you
get digital internet, you get digital cable (no premium channels) free
just by plugging the coax into your TV.  As far as I know, they can't
prevent it from coming in the house with the internet.
0
daclyde
7/12/2003 5:40:59 AM
>And as long as the technology stays the same, cable TV & internet are
>delivered using pretty much the same frequencies on the coax.  If you
>get digital internet, you get digital cable (no premium channels) free
>just by plugging the coax into your TV.  As far as I know, they can't
>prevent it from coming in the house with the internet.

That is almost true. The reality is the installer carries a "lifeline" filter
(or whatever they call minimum TV service in your area) on his truck so he can
limit you to a very basic service pretty easy. Not surprisingly that is just
about the same price as the "internet only" surcharge. I suspect you will still
get those channels if you do sign up for internet only.
0
gfretwell
7/12/2003 3:29:38 PM
"Jason Whorton" <jason at microxl.com> wrote in message news:<vgqf07p6tblq82@corp.supernews.com>...
> Hello.  Do you have to have digital cable service to have cable modem
> internet service?  Right now, I have analog cable service and a dial-up
> account.  Has anyone heard of this before?  The cable company is Mediacom.
> I have not spoken with anyone from Mediacom.
>
> Thank you,
> Jason Whorton

I just got my internet service activated today.  I am a dish
subcriber, and have never been a subscriber of any mediacom service.
They had to run new wire to my house, since I didn't have any.  After
the guy left, I checked to see if the analog cable worked.  It did.
So if I didn't have my satelite, I would have free analog cable.  So
yea get rid of your analog cable and get internet from them.
0
jpaul