Blacklisted Number - WinFax Pro w/Creative Modem

I am using WinFax Pro 10.03 and ACT 6.03 on Windows XP and need to send
multiple faxes at once. I am getting repeated blacklisted number responses
although there is really no reason for this. I am even getting blacklisted
numbers even when I try to call the number of my own fax machine for testing
purposes. Is there any way that I can disable this blacklisted number
capability? Turning on and off my computer is not really an option because I
need to send quite a lot of faxes. The other thing is that often turning off
and on the machine, sometimes that does not even help.

The modem I am using is a Creative Modem Blaster V.90 PCI DI 5655. In the
Symantec, WinFax Pro, Message Manager when I go into Tools > Program Setup >
Modems and Communication Devices > Properties and click on the FAX tab, I
find that the initialization string in row 1 is:

    AT&F&D2&C1+IFC=2,2;S7=55

I assume this has something to do with it. Rows 2, 3, and 4 are empty so
may'be I can use them for this purpose?

The flow control field is:

    AT+IFC=2,2;

Any help available here would be dearly appreciated. I am clueless when it
comes to modem talk so I really appreciate your patience.

Many thanks,

Edwin Turner

0
Edwin
12/23/2003 12:16:20 PM
comp.dcom.modems 1644 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Edwin M. Turner" <edwint@webmadman.com> wrote in message
> I am using WinFax Pro 10.03 and ACT 6.03 on Windows XP and need to send
> multiple faxes at once. I am getting repeated blacklisted number responses
> although there is really no reason for this. I am even getting blacklisted
> numbers even when I try to call the number of my own fax machine for
testing
> purposes. Is there any way that I can disable this blacklisted number
> capability? Turning on and off my computer is not really an option because
> need to send quite a lot of faxes. The other thing is that often turning
off
> and on the machine, sometimes that does not even help.
>
> The modem I am using is a Creative Modem Blaster V.90 PCI DI 5655. In the
> Symantec, WinFax Pro, Message Manager when I go into Tools > Program Setup
>
> Modems and Communication Devices > Properties and click on the FAX tab, I
> find that the initialization string in row 1 is:
>
>     AT&F&D2&C1+IFC=2,2;S7=55
>
> I assume this has something to do with it. Rows 2, 3, and 4 are empty so
> may'be I can use them for this purpose?
>
> The flow control field is:
>
>     AT+IFC=2,2;
>
> Any help available here would be dearly appreciated. I am clueless when it
> comes to modem talk so I really appreciate your patience.

Try %TCB

--
Hooda Gest
"In a New York minute, everything can change..."

0
Hooda
12/23/2003 1:54:49 PM
I tried your suggestion of %TCB or a variation of it and it seemed to work
for a while but the problem just came back!  Hard to know where I am going
now and so far nothing seems to help.

For the Symantec, WinFax Pro, Message Manager when I go into Tools > Program
Setup > Modems and Communication Devices > Properties, I click on the FAX
tab. In there I have four different, "Initialization string sequence fields"
that are numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4.

In row #1 originally was the following sequence which I tried to replace
with various combinations:

 AT&F&D2&C1+IFC=2,2;S7=55

I tried putting putting %TCB on the first line instead, and then I tried
AT%TCB but that only helped for a while. (Of course I moved the original
string to the next line.) After that I tried putting both of the previously
mentioned strings at the beginning of the original string and on the same
line. At any rate I tried a lot of different combinations, but I guess there
are a few additional thousand more possibilities which I could try but I
hope not to have to.

Nonetheless, it is hard to find a solution to this problem when I don't know
or understand what the different commands mean.  Any leads, suggestions,
hints, or magical spells that can be provided by the list to solve this
frustrating problem would be "highly" appreciated? I really would like to be
able to send several faxes when I need to, without have to be stopped dead
in my tracks for hours on end each time.

Many thanks,

Edwin Turner

"Hooda Gest" <Be@One_With.Calm> ???
??????:JOXFb.230896$Ec1.8180996@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> "Edwin M. Turner" <edwint@webmadman.com> wrote in message
> > I am using WinFax Pro 10.03 and ACT 6.03 on Windows XP and need to send
> > multiple faxes at once. I am getting repeated blacklisted number
> > although there is really no reason for this. I am even getting
blacklisted
> > numbers even when I try to call the number of my own fax machine for
> testing
> > purposes. Is there any way that I can disable this blacklisted number
> > capability? Turning on and off my computer is not really an option
because
> > need to send quite a lot of faxes. The other thing is that often turning
> off
> > and on the machine, sometimes that does not even help.
> >
> > The modem I am using is a Creative Modem Blaster V.90 PCI DI 5655. In
the
> > Symantec, WinFax Pro, Message Manager when I go into Tools > Program
Setup

> > Modems and Communication Devices > Properties and click on the FAX tab,
> > find that the initialization string in row 1 is:
> >
> >     AT&F&D2&C1+IFC=2,2;S7=55
> >
> > I assume this has something to do with it. Rows 2, 3, and 4 are empty so
> > may'be I can use them for this purpose?
> >
> > The flow control field is:
> >
> >     AT+IFC=2,2;
> >
> > Any help available here would be dearly appreciated. I am clueless when
it
> > comes to modem talk so I really appreciate your patience.
>

> Try %TCB
>

> --
> Hooda Gest
> "In a New York minute, everything can change..."

0
Edwin
12/23/2003 9:14:08 PM
Try making it the last command sent, if you have not tried that already.

Or, check the chipset used, I made the assumption that this was a Conexant
chipset.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-8.html
8.5 Blacklisting
If phone number is dialed a few times with no success, some modems may
blacklist a phone number. After a certain time you may try again. Some
countries require this to reduce needless repeated dialing. To view the
blacklist try %B. To delete the blacklist use these AT commands:

US Robotics or 3COM: s40=2 or if NG try s40=7
Lucent: %t21,18,0
Rockwell/Conexant: %tcb
Cirrus Logic: *nc9

--

> [...]
> > > Symantec, WinFax Pro, Message Manager when I go into Tools > Program
> Setup
> > >
> > > Modems and Communication Devices > Properties and click on the FAX
tab,
> > > find that the initialization string in row 1 is:
> > >
> > >     AT&F&D2&C1+IFC=2,2;S7=55
> > >
> > > I assume this has something to do with it. Rows 2, 3, and 4 are empty
so
> > > may'be I can use them for this purpose?
> > >
> > > The flow control field is:
> > >
> > >     AT+IFC=2,2;
> > >
> > > Any help available here would be dearly appreciated. I am clueless
when
> it
> > > comes to modem talk so I really appreciate your patience.
> >

> > Try %TCB
> >

> > --
> > Hooda Gest
> > "In a New York minute, everything can change..."

12/24/2003 1:30:17 AM
"Hooda Gest" <Be@One_With.Calm> ???
??????:J_5Gb.520618$0v4.22059233@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Try making it the last command sent, if you have not tried that already.
>
> Or, check the chipset used, I made the assumption that this was a Conexant
> chipset.
>

> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-8.html
> 8.5 Blacklisting
> If phone number is dialed a few times with no success, some modems may
> blacklist a phone number. After a certain time you may try again. Some
> countries require this to reduce needless repeated dialing. To view the
> blacklist try %B. To delete the blacklist use these AT commands:
>
> US Robotics or 3COM: s40=2 or if NG try s40=7
> Lucent: %t21,18,0
> Rockwell/Conexant: %tcb
> Cirrus Logic: *nc9

Hooda -

Thanks very much! After much trial and error the Cirrus Logic worked. I put
*nc9 at the end of the initialization string and voila! (P.S.: Let's hope it
stays that way.)

Regards,
Edwin Turner

0
Edwin
12/25/2003 10:43:09 PM
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 00:43:09 +0200, "Edwin M. Turner"
<edwint@webmadman.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>"Hooda Gest" <Be@One_With.Calm> ???
>??????:J_5Gb.520618$0v4.22059233@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> Try making it the last command sent, if you have not tried that already.
>>
>> Or, check the chipset used, I made the assumption that this was a Conexant
>> chipset.
>>

>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-8.html
>> 8.5 Blacklisting
>> If phone number is dialed a few times with no success, some modems may
>> blacklist a phone number. After a certain time you may try again. Some
>> countries require this to reduce needless repeated dialing. To view the
>> blacklist try %B. To delete the blacklist use these AT commands:
>>
>> US Robotics or 3COM: s40=2 or if NG try s40=7
>> Lucent: %t21,18,0
>> Rockwell/Conexant: %tcb
>> Cirrus Logic: *nc9
>
>Hooda -
>
>Thanks very much! After much trial and error the Cirrus Logic worked. I put
>*nc9 at the end of the initialization string and voila! (P.S.: Let's hope it
>stays that way.)
>
>Regards,
>Edwin Turner

For Cirrus Logic modems, AT*NC9 selects Switzerland as your country
code. When used with Rockwell modems, this same command selects
Luxemburg.

Here is an excerpt from a CL AT command reference manual:

*NCnn  Country Select:

For international use, this command sets the country-specific
parameters, including S-register settings. The command checks that the
entered country code matches one of the codes stored on EPROM. If so,
the entered code is stored in NVRAM. This code is loaded from NVRAM
upon power-up or soft reset. The default value, �0�, is used if no
NVRAM is installed or if the NVRAM failed the self-test during reset.
On blank NVRAM, the default, �0�, is loaded and the country code is
not initialized. This can cause errors, such as dial tone detection.
Set the AT*NCn;&W (n=0 to 9) command at power-up. Do not use AT&F and
ATZ after setting, as they have no affect on the country code. ATI6
stores the country code. AT*NCn followed by AT&W is the same as the
AT*NCn;&W command.

n = 0* USA = United States
n = 1 JPN = Japan
n = 2 GBR = United Kingdom
n = 3 GR = Germany
n = 4 SWE = Sweden
n = 5 DNK= Denmark
n = 6 FIN = Finland
n = 7 NOR = Norway
n = 8 AUT = Austria
n = 9 CHE = Switzerland

- Franc Zabkar
Franc
12/26/2003 7:48:27 PM
"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> ???
??????:dj3puvklvmge441etjn1npillgls8393nf@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 00:43:09 +0200, "Edwin M. Turner"
> <edwint@webmadman.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:
>

> >"Hooda Gest" <Be@One_With.Calm> ???
> >??????:J_5Gb.520618$0v4.22059233@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >> Try making it the last command sent, if you have not tried that
already.

> >> Or, check the chipset used, I made the assumption that this was a
Conexant
> >> chipset.
> >>

> >> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-8.html
> >> 8.5 Blacklisting
> >> If phone number is dialed a few times with no success, some modems may
> >> blacklist a phone number. After a certain time you may try again. Some
> >> countries require this to reduce needless repeated dialing. To view the
> >> blacklist try %B. To delete the blacklist use these AT commands:
> >>
> >> US Robotics or 3COM: s40=2 or if NG try s40=7
> >> Lucent: %t21,18,0
> >> Rockwell/Conexant: %tcb
> >> Cirrus Logic: *nc9
> >
> >Hooda -
> >
> >Thanks very much! After much trial and error the Cirrus Logic worked. I
put
> >*nc9 at the end of the initialization string and voila! (P.S.: Let's hope
it
> >stays that way.)
> >
> >Regards,
> >Edwin Turner
>
> For Cirrus Logic modems, AT*NC9 selects Switzerland as your country
> code. When used with Rockwell modems, this same command selects
> Luxemburg.

I think the idea is that the chipset used by the Creative Modem I am using,
is made by one of the companies mentioned above. (I think you
misunderstood -- and thought this was about a Cirrus Logic modem.)

So far, *nc9 seems to be working fine and turns off the blacklisting number
feature on my Creative Modem. I even tested it by sending myself a fax.

Regards,
Edwin Turner

> Here is an excerpt from a CL AT command reference manual:

> *NCnn  Country Select:
>
> For international use, this command sets the country-specific
> parameters, including S-register settings. The command checks that the
> entered country code matches one of the codes stored on EPROM. If so,
> the entered code is stored in NVRAM. This code is loaded from NVRAM
> upon power-up or soft reset. The default value, '0', is used if no
> NVRAM is installed or if the NVRAM failed the self-test during reset.
> On blank NVRAM, the default, '0', is loaded and the country code is
> not initialized. This can cause errors, such as dial tone detection.
> Set the AT*NCn;&W (n=0 to 9) command at power-up. Do not use AT&F and
> ATZ after setting, as they have no affect on the country code. ATI6
> stores the country code. AT*NCn followed by AT&W is the same as the
> AT*NCn;&W command.
>
> n = 0* USA = United States
> n = 1 JPN = Japan
> n = 2 GBR = United Kingdom
> n = 3 GR = Germany
> n = 4 SWE = Sweden
> n = 5 DNK= Denmark
> n = 6 FIN = Finland
> n = 7 NOR = Norway
> n = 8 AUT = Austria
> n = 9 CHE = Switzerland
>

> - Franc Zabkar
> --
> Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.

0
Edwin
12/28/2003 3:56:58 PM
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:56:58 +0200, "Edwin M. Turner"
<edwint@webmadman.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>"Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> ???
>??????:dj3puvklvmge441etjn1npillgls8393nf@4ax.com...

>> For Cirrus Logic modems, AT*NC9 selects Switzerland as your country
>> code. When used with Rockwell modems, this same command selects
>> Luxemburg.
>
>I think the idea is that the chipset used by the Creative Modem I am using,
>is made by one of the companies mentioned above. (I think you
>misunderstood -- and thought this was about a Cirrus Logic modem.)
>
>So far, *nc9 seems to be working fine and turns off the blacklisting number
>feature on my Creative Modem. I even tested it by sending myself a fax.

The point I was trying to make was that the *NC9 command is not a
specific "turn-off-blacklisting" command, but that blacklisting is
disabled as a side effect of changing the country code to one where
blacklisting does not apply. Changing country codes may also have
undesired effects, such as difficulties with dialtone and busy tone
detection (which apppear not to be a problem in your case).

- Franc Zabkar
Franc