can't find port;error 630-MS doesn't know

I have ll xps t-800 with a modem card, purchased second hand, no
docs.

I get "cannot open port" at the diagnostics tab in win98

I get "error 630" when trying to dial out on new DUN. Modem not
responding.

Debug at d40:0 shows only port 1 following w98 help instructions
as far as I understand them.

Yet device manager and system info clearly shows the standard 56K
modem at com5 Interrupt 10.

Trying to send echo atdt  and other commands in dos yields
nothing.

How do I get this modem to wake up.

My laptop give essentially the same output in debug and also fails
the dos echo command, yet the modem works fine, which goes to show
Microsoft doesn't know how to diagnose the problem either, since what is
says about these tests is completely wrong.

Anyone know??? Thanks.

0
Mike
7/23/2005 12:28:14 AM
comp.dcom.modems 1644 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Mike Choy" <Mike.Choy_INVALID_@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have ll xps t-800 with a modem card, purchased second hand, no
> docs.
>
> I get "cannot open port" at the diagnostics tab in win98
>
> I get "error 630" when trying to dial out on new DUN. Modem not
> responding.
>
> Debug at d40:0 shows only port 1 following w98 help instructions
> as far as I understand them.
>
> Yet device manager and system info clearly shows the standard 56K
> modem at com5 Interrupt 10.

What happens when you issue an AT&F in Hyperterminal? What about ATI1
through to ATI9? If the modem is plug and play (which most are these days,
it will likely have problems under pure DOS as that doesn't support PnP
devices on its own (normally a special utility would need to be run to
allocate the resources correctly - best just to stick to the OS you plan on
using it with).

> Trying to send echo atdt  and other commands in dos yields
> nothing.
>
> How do I get this modem to wake up.

I don't think its a matter of getting it to wake up but a matter of getting
it correctly configured for your OS. Modem manufacturers normally provide
drivers for their hardware on their website. Have you tried finding drivers
for the exact modem model from the makers website. If you dont know who that
it, what identifying features does it have on it?

> My laptop give essentially the same output in debug and also fails
> the dos echo command, yet the modem works fine, which goes to show
> Microsoft doesn't know how to diagnose the problem either, since what is
> says about these tests is completely wrong.
>
> Anyone know??? Thanks.

The reason why its failing to work properly in DOS is probably as above i.e.
DOS isn't a native PnP OS - I'd steer clear of testing it in DOS but use the
OS it was intended for (and that drivers are avail for).

Paul

0
Paul