Straight Cable and Cross Cable

Hello!

I need information about Cabling.

How to know which cable I need to use is it straight or cross
cable[RJ45]?

For example, I have a SONET system having LAN port to connect to some
Router for outside world access.

This scenior which Cable I need to use?

and Please let me know When to use Straight Cable and When to use
Cross Cable [RJ45].

Thanks,
0
rokr2323 (3)
7/24/2008 9:40:11 AM
comp.dcom.sdh-sonet 807 articles. 0 followers. mhostettler (277) is leader. Post Follow

Hello again Rokr....

This time you wrote:

> I need information about Cabling.
>
> How to know which cable I need to use is it straight or cross
> cable[RJ45]?

That depends on which interface you use the cable.

> For example, I have a SONET system having LAN port to connect to some
> Router for outside world access.

You better check the router user manula to find the
wiring of the LAN port.

> This scenior which Cable I need to use?

I do not understand what you mean by scenior.

> and Please let me know When to use Straight Cable and When to use
> Cross Cable [RJ45].

I would expect normally straight cable is used for p-2-p connections.
In case of office wiring sometimes cross-wiring is used.

Regards, Huub.

--
                reply to hhelvooort with 2 'o's
                  http://www.van-helvoort.eu/
On Jul 27, 3:10=A0am, Huub van Helvoort <hhelvoo...@chello.nl> wrote:
> Hello again Rokr....
>
> This time you wrote:
> > I need information about Cabling.
>
> > How to know which cable I need to use is it straight or cross
> > cable[RJ45]?
>
> That depends on which interface you use the cable.
>
> > For example, I have a SONET system having LAN port to connect to some
> > Router for outside world access.
>
> You better check the router user manula to find the
> wiring of the LAN port.
>
> > This scenior which Cable I need to use?
>
> I do not understand what you mean by scenior.
>
> > and Please let me know When to use Straight Cable and When to use
> > Cross Cable [RJ45].
>
> I would expect normally straight cable is used for p-2-p connections.
> In case of office wiring sometimes cross-wiring is used.
>
> Regards, Huub.
>
> --
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 reply to hhelvooort with 2 'o's
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.van-helvoort.eu/
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> Always remember that you are unique...just like everyone else...

Thanks for your last words,

This is what i needed, p-2-p system uses straight cable. and office
wiring uses cross cable.

I think cabling depends on the system interface, LAN networks uses
like from my PC to a router? [Its a General question as I am not
setting up any system]

0
rokr2323 (3)

cables(cross-over cable or not)....
We have two(2) Cisco3620 routers. One is our gateway router with a FastEthernet card facing inward. The other has 2 FastEthernet cards in it, one facing our internal network, and one facing the gateway router. This router is being used to traffic shape. How should the 2 FastEthernet cards be connected? ie. by a crossover cable, or both pluged into a 100-Mb switch? Note, someone told me that a cross over cable reduces the speed to 10-Mb single duplex, is this true? Captain wrote: > How should the 2 FastEthernet cards be > connected? > > ie. by a crossover cable, or >...

Serial cross over cable and null modem cable
Is a null modem cable different from a serial crossover cable? I am into a project that calls for a serial crossover cable, and I'd like to now what types of crossover cables they are? The connection is wired like this. The 1,6,8 are linked together and connected with 4 on the other side and vice versa. 7 on both sides is unused. 2 - 3 3 - 2 5 - 5 1 6 - 4 8 1 4 - 6 8 Does this type of linkage have some sort of classification? <mydejamail@yahoo.co.uk> wrote > Is a null modem cable different from a serial crossover cable? > >...

What differences between Nullmodem cable and straight-through cable for Serial Port?
What is the difference between Nullmodem cable and straight-through cable for Serial Port?Why do we need them two, not one only? Thanks, Adrian Lee <yxl4444@louisiana.edu> wrote: > What is the difference between Nullmodem cable and straight-through > cable for Serial Port?Why do we need them two, not one only? For a combination of two reasons: first, because RS232 is bi-directional and full-duplex, but its signalling method on the individual wire is uni-directional. This is what necessitates _having_ two wires to be crossed (or not) in the first place. It also implies the two signals have to be crossed (TX(device 1) --> RX(device 2) and vice versa) The second reason is that the designers of RS232 differentiated two classes of devices (from a current-day perspective, you'ld recognize them as "PC" and "modem"), and one of the difference between those is which pin on a standard connector carries which signal. The idea is to allow a straight-through connection (think of press-on connectors and ribbon cables) between such devices. This strategy implies that if you deviate from it, by connecting two devices from the same class (e.g. PC <--> PC), you have to actually cross wires to achieve the necessary signal crossing. Hence the need for null-modem cables. The design choice was between *always* needing crossed cables, and only needing them in what was likely considered an "exotic" application at the time. They may e...

Cross over cable or straight to connect to 2811 from T1?
Which type of cabling do I use to connect to a 2811 from a T1 CPE, Crossover or straight? Thanks! smith_bp101@hotmail.com writes: >Which type of cabling do I use to connect to a 2811 from a T1 CPE, >Crossover or straight? Thanks! T1 CPE???? What sort of T1 CPE? Smartjack/NIU or something else? Typically, I'd use the *2811* as the T1 CPE. You'd want a straight-thru to go from a Smartjack into a T1 port on a 2811. If you instead have another T1 router there, to connect two routers together on their ethernet ports, use a cross-over cable. "Doug McIntyre" <me...

Serial Cables
I need to make up some 30m serial cables. Can anyone advise which type of cable I need to buy, please? I only need 5 cores. Kind regards, -- RH <russell.hunter@sashait.co.uk> wrote in message news:1140996667.473750.206920@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I need to make up some 30m serial cables. > > Can anyone advise which type of cable I need to buy, please? > > I only need 5 cores. > > Kind regards, > -- > RH > If it's Async RS232 use cat5 and configurable RJ45 to DB9 or DB25 adapters and the EIA/TIA 561 standard http://www.zytrax.com/tech/laye...

[rfc-dist] RFC 4639 on Cable Device Management Information Base for Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) Compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 4639 Title: Cable Device Management Information Base for Data-Over-Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) Compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems Author: R. Woundy, K. Marez Status: Standards Track Date: December 2006 Mailbox: richard_woundy@cable.comcast.com, kevin.marez@motorola.com Pages: 88 Characters: 188220 Obsoletes: RFC2669 See-Also: I-D Tag: draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-11.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4639.txt This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet community. In particular, it defines a basic set of managed objects for Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)-based management of Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS)-compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem Termination Systems. This memo obsoletes RFC 2669. [STANDARDS TRACK] This document is a product of the IP over Cable Data Network Working Group of the IETF. This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol. STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussi...

Sound cable versus data cable
When one installs two cd roms in a system is it auto configured for souns via the data cable ofr does one need to have a Y cable that connects the two outputs from the cdrom drives? I need to k ow how to do this/ How does one check to see if the sound channel is operative for both drives other than trying to play them? On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:47:06 GMT, J. P. Willis <jopwill@ix.netcom.com> wrote: > > >When one installs two cd roms in a system is it auto configured for >souns via the data cable ofr does one need to have a Y cable that >connects the two ...

Crossover cable vs LAN cable
I've got two pc's and a friend who's helping me out with providing me with the necessary equipment to setting up a network between the two, but he gave me some homework of sorts. Could someone please help me out and do the crossover cable vs LAN cable? Thank you so very very much Kali On 30 Dec 2003 20:42:42 -0800, Lonax wrote: > I've got two pc's and a friend who's helping me out with providing me > with the necessary equipment to setting up a network between the two, > but he gave me some homework of sorts. > > Could someone please h...

VAXstation 3100 & 4000/VLC + BA350's and some RZ drives + SCSI cables + Serial Cables + Standard Power Cables
If anyone in the Phoenix area (I'm not willing to pack and ship) has an interest in one or more of: VAXstation 3100 VAXstation 4000/VLC Multiple BA350's with some RZ drives Box of SCSI cables Box of Serial cables Box of Standard Power Cables No fishing for one-off, if you want one cable, you get the box -- same with drives, etc. please let me know and be prepared to pick them up before Friday September 5th otherwise I'll be pitching them... Barry ...

Cables
Hi, I suspect many of you are like me in that you stash cables in a box. *Possibly* labeled "Cables". Or, if you are a bit more organized, "CAT5 Cables", "Printer Cables", "Centronics SCSI Cables", "VHDCI Cables", "10Base2 Cables", etc. For the most part, this works great for me. Except for CAT5 ("Ethernet") cables! The problem, there, is they come in too many different lengths. And, you usually want a length that closely matches your actual *need* (lest you end up with spools of "slack wire" around the place!). Years ago, I made the obvious distinction between "long" and "short" cables -- the long ones taking up a lot of space in an otherwise overcrowded box! (this gave me an excuse to start a *second* box of network cables :> ) I've been able to develop a pretty good estimating ability to gauge the length of a cable pulled at random from a box: count the number of loops and estimate the circumference, etc. (since I coil many of them around my forearm, this tends to be relatively constant) But, invariably, I'll pick a cable (or three), uncoil it and discover it is too long or short for my needs (seems like 20' is a nasty operating point when it comes to cables). Like tonight as I was cabling a pair of NAS boxes in the office. I have previously considered using "manilla" (is that really a word?) tags tied to each cable bundle labeled wit...

~~~ CABLE ~~~
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ENTER HERE: >>> http://find-365.com/page/cable <<< ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ....

Question: IS a Null Modem Cable the same as a Laplink Cable?
Is a Null modem cable the same as a laplink cable? If not, whats the difference? Thank you. Paul Want to Fix Something? http://www.manuals4you.com Previously Yikes!ItsIke <Yikes!ItsIke@younameit.com> wrote: > Is a Null modem cable the same as a laplink cable? > If not, whats the difference? Haha, good question! Unfortunalely there is no correct answer. The problem is that there are different ways to connect the handshaking lines. All these can be called a "null-modem cable". All might be called a "laplink cable" by some vendor or other. ...

Cable
I've just installed a network card, but when I connect my new cable to it and another computer, they both say that 'A network cable is unplugged' I think that the cable is faulty, but I want to be sure before I send it back to the shop. Are there any other possible sources of this error? Thanks Neil On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 06:02:25 -0000, Neil Brown wrote: > I've just installed a network card, but when I connect my new cable to it > and another computer, they both say that 'A network cable is unplugged' > > I think that the cable is faulty, but I want ...

Cabling
Plz anyone tell me catagories of Cablles used in LAN. In article <dd284694.0409302055.25a8ce06@posting.google.com>, alitoday <alitoday@gmail.com> wrote: :Plz anyone tell me catagories of Cablles used in LAN. That depends what you mean by "categories". There were many schemes used before wiring standardization. If you are referring to official standards such as being referred to by "Cat5 cable", then you need to indicate whether you are interested only in standards that have already been ratified, or if you are also interested in standards that are st...

Cable ?
Mediacom was here today to try to hook up cable internet. Well apparently there communication was less then complete. They were supposed to install a nic for me, but that wasn't on the order form. The technician didn't want to proceed until the nic was installed. The technician wasn't averse to setting up linux, but was unsure as to where the proxy settings will be entered. I am assuming this will be somewhere in the network settings for thew nic? 2nd ?, what is a current good nic for me to buy? Terry A. Haimann wrote: > Mediacom was here today to try to hook up cable in...

Newbie
Hello, This is a first time I am trying to connect motherboard (V4MDMP) with a computer case. I don't understand some names from the manual, for example vcc5 (positive 5V?), nc (not connected?), gnd (ground?). Some connectors are multicolored - is there any standard with colors? Each pair of wires have a white color? Does white is a ground? Are there any Interne sites that describe any standards or how to connect motherboards? Thanks, Zalek Hi, It sounds like you're talking about the USB connectors. The colors are like this: Vcc == +5V (red) USB- ...

How can I tell if I have a cable select computer or cable?
How can I tell if I have a cable select computer or cable? I have a Compaq Presario 5204. The paper manual says if you connect an additional IDE (hard drives?) to set the jumpers to cable select. If I understand cable select allows the derive at the end to be the primary (master and the middle on the ribbon cable the slave. Western Digital talks about cable select hook up as a cable with a black master at the end of the cable plug and a mid way plug as being gray. Is that an absolute specification followed by all cable makers. As far as I know my computer has never had it's cable c...

What cable is this?
I recently won the EBAY auction here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5211732738&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 Everybody was so confused that I was the only bidder on this item. I recognized right away that these were neither disk drive nor printer cables. I guessed that they were RGB video cables. I was right about the AMIGA 500 cable. The other cable has a DB9 pin plug and a round 6 pin DIN not an 8 pin DIN plug. The seller needs to learn how to count pins. What kind of cable is the second cable? In article <1122667093.733065.243720@g43g...

Cable
I've just installed a network card, but when I connect my new cable to it and another computer, they both say that 'A network cable is unplugged' I think that the cable is faulty, but I want to be sure before I send it back to the shop. Are there any other possible sources of this error? Thanks Neil On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 06:02:25 -0000, Neil Brown wrote: > I've just installed a network card, but when I connect my new cable to it > and another computer, they both say that 'A network cable is unplugged' > > I think that the cable is faulty, but I want ...

Cable...
Lo everyone, Does anyone know of someone that makes a 24AWG or smaller shielded CAT6 cable? I can only find a 23AWG Shielded Cable (Made by RIT), but believe it or not, their own cable does not fit into their CAT6 RJ45 plugs.. *thwappes forehead*. If anyone knows of someone making a smaller CAT6 cable, PLEASE let me know ASAP. I'm desperate. -- me http://www.l-com.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=5037&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=102&iSubCat=68&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=5037 "Chris Knipe" <savage@savage.za.org> wrote in message news:fq8rt-qn5.ln1@netsphere.megalan.co.za... > Lo everyone, > > Does anyone know of someone that makes a 24AWG or smaller shielded CAT6 > cable? > > I can only find a 23AWG Shielded Cable (Made by RIT), but believe it or not, > their own cable does not fit into their CAT6 RJ45 plugs.. *thwappes > forehead*. > > If anyone knows of someone making a smaller CAT6 cable, PLEASE let me know > ASAP. I'm desperate. > > -- > me > > ...

Cabling...
I know it is not the right newsgroup but please... ....an urgent answer... the cable (UTP CAT5) between Router and Switch must be Streight or Cross? All cable in a LAN must be Streight, isn't it? Thanks Bye --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.545 / Virus Database: 339 - Release Date: 27/11/2003 AntoS wrote: > I know it is not the right newsgroup but please... > ...an urgent answer... > the cable (UTP CAT5) between Router and Switch must be Streight or > Cross? > > All cable in a LAN must be Streight, isn't it? > > Thanks > > Bye > > > > --- All straight-through. X-over is only needed for hub/switch -> hub/switch or node -> node. even then many switches are auto-switching now on the ports. Thanks! "Carl Farrington" <carl@000compsup000.net> ha scritto nel messaggio news:bqf87d$p6d$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk... > AntoS wrote: > > I know it is not the right newsgroup but please... > > ...an urgent answer... > > the cable (UTP CAT5) between Router and Switch must be Streight or > > Cross? > > > > All cable in a LAN must be Streight, isn't it? > > > > Thanks > > > > Bye > > > > > > > > --- > > > All straight-through. > > X-over is only needed for hub/switch -> hub/switch or node -> node. > > even the...

Cables
Hi, Is it possible to connect USB to parallel port please? Dave. In article <3c3847bb4e.daveandsylvia@daveandsylvia.plus.com>, dave <dave@daveandsylvia.plus.com> wrote: > Is it possible to connect USB to parallel port please? You can connect a computer with a USB port to a printer with a parallel port using a USB to parallel converter cable. Ian -- Ian Hamilton (RISC PC RO4) http://www.hamiltoni.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ (Iyonix RO5) Programs compatible with RISC OS 3/4/5 In article <4ebb4802fbIan.Hamilton@AAUG.Net>, Ia...

Cables
if anyone ever needs them, we make a lot of DEC MMJ and RJ type cables for people Those pesky MMJ to MMJ BN16E cables etc David B Turner, Island Computers US Corp <dturner@islandco.com> wrote: > if anyone ever needs them, we make a lot of DEC MMJ and RJ type > cables for people > Those pesky MMJ to MMJ BN16E cables etc It looks to me like the MMJ connector is the same one now used for smart antenna connection to DTV converter boxes (and presumably also TVs). That should make them easier to find, along with the crimp tools. Maybe not, but they looked right to me. -- glen On 11/28/2011 1:49 PM, David B Turner, Island Computers US Corp wrote: > if anyone ever needs them, we make a lot of DEC MMJ and RJ type cables > for people > > Those pesky MMJ to MMJ BN16E cables etc > David is too modest! He can sell you anything from a serial cable to an entire system! He's got VAX and Alpha hardware for sure and just about anything else you might need for your system. I believe that he can also supply custom cables. Your lead programmer had a nervous break down? David might just be able to fix you up with a replacement. A good man to know! In article <NvOdnQlA47LK10nTnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@giganews.com>, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88@comcast.net> writes: >On 11/28/2011 1:49 PM, David B Turner, Island Computers US Corp wrote: >> if anyone ever needs them, we make a lot of DEC MMJ and RJ type cables >...

cable ?
i'm getting a pair of hp50s and would like to know if i understand what i have read about program transfer from a 48x to the 50 one last time. the ir direct calc to calc will not work. i can hand key the programs in, but the 48x is full and i'm an hp (hunt and pecker), so that would take a long time. my best option is thru a pc but i don't get the cable thing. please tell me i'm wrong but am i really supossed to go to a bunch of stores hoping to find parts that have to be spliced and experimented with to get the 48 data into the pc????? am i correct that the 50 comes with a c...

Web resources about - Straight Cable and Cross Cable - comp.dcom.sdh-sonet

Savage Love: Straight Answers from America's Most Popular Sex Columnist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...
Savage Love: Straight Answers from America's Most Popular Sex Columnist is a non-fiction book by sex columnist Dan Savage . It was first published ...

Race for Alinta enters straight
Bidders for TPG Capital’s $5 billion power retailer and generator are racing to meet an indicative bid deadline.

Nasdaq advances for fifth straight session
The Nasdaq Composite Index edged higher in light trading, giving the index a fifth straight gain and its longest advance in 11 months.

Vice CEO Shane Smith would rather give a '23-year-old kid straight out of school' a TV show than someone ...
... Marketing Week , Smith said: "We go to the tech colleges and get the best shooters and the best cutters. There could be a 23-year-old kid straight ...

Ducks score 4 straight goals, beat Senators in OT 4-3
OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) — Rickard Rakell scored a power-play goal in overtime and the Anaheim Ducks finished with four straight goals to beat the ...

Watch Straight Women Touch Another Vagina for the Very First Time
... seen gay men touch breasts for the first time, and now — in yet another twist on the "X person touches Y genitals" theme — you can watch straight ...

Goucher: Bleeding continues for Bruins after losing 5th straight
Skip to main content Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com Header links TV Listings Channel Finder Apps Follow Bar RSN login or register Login Search ...

Vice President Biden sets the record straight on Supreme Court nominations
... even consider a nomination to the court to fill the seat of a justice who died. Biden has had about enough of that, and set the record straight ...

‘Straight Outta Compton’ Lawsuit Lives On; Judge Rejects Universal’s Dismissal
... came out and nearly five months after ex-N.W.A manager Gerald Heller initially went after everyone with a $110 million complaint, the Straight ...

I played VR for 10 hours straight, here's what happened
People often call me a "madman" or "robot" for playing games for lengthy periods of time, much of which results in the coverage you see here. ...