Choice of DHCP-server? Is the "IOS-one" a good choice?

Have a need for a DHCP server. Is the IOS-one a good choice? The arguments
for is:

- Easy management and logging
- HA, if the IOS-box is protected with UPS etc
- No more boxes/computers

Reasons why not:
- possible security risks(eg IOS DHCP on main router in network) ??
- lack of functionality (option 82 etc)?
- etc?

I am not an expert on DHCP solutions so what du you reckon?

/Fred

0
Fred
12/10/2003 7:47:51 PM
comp.dcom.sys.cisco 25313 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Fred" <Xfrecarlen@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Reasons why not:
> - possible security risks(eg IOS DHCP on main router in network) ??]

I don't see why that is a risk.

> - lack of functionality (option 82 etc)?

You can add arbitrary opions to the IOS DHCP.

The big downside is "NO GUI."  But I consider that a feature 8-)

You want to make sure you write the DHCP database somewhere, or locally
store on the router with the HDCP database command.

0
Phillip