Cisco Pix 520(?) break character / sequence

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Ok here's the problem.  I'm running Pix version 6.3.5, and am trying to
upgrade to 7.0.4.  When I copy from tftp to flash, it gives me an error
about not having enough space in flash.  Fine.  Looked up the error on
Google, Cisco says I have to get to monitor mode by hitting a break
sequence before it boots.  I should be seeing something like this on a
reboot:

Rebooting....
Cisco Secure PIX Firewall BIOS (4.0) #0:Thu Mar 2 22:59:20 PST 2000
Platform PIX-515
Flash=i28F640J5 @ 0x300
Use BREAK or ESC to interrupt flash boot.
Use SPACE to begin flash boot immediately.

But it never asks me to hit a key like it does above, as described at
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_70/pix_upgd/pixupgrd.htm#wp1790859.
 So, I tried every key combination I can think of, and a few console
programs, and I can't seem to get the correct break sequence on this
PIX.  All I'm trying to do is upgrade to 7.0!  Any ideas??  Thank you
all!

Blaze King
blazek@lake-coe.k12.ca.us

0
Reply blazeking (2) 10/17/2005 6:04:30 PM

See related articles to this posting

<blazeking@gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> But it never asks me to hit a key like it does above, as described at
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_70/pix_upgd/pixupgrd.htm#wp1790859.
> So, I tried every key combination I can think of, and a few console

A good idea is to read the entire document before starting. From the
document you are linking to:
"The security appliance Version 7.0 runs on PIX 515/515E, PIX 525, and PIX
535, but is not supported on the PIX 501 or PIX 506/506E platforms at this
time. "

--
Best regards
Martin Kiefer

0
Reply Martin 10/17/2005 6:19:09 PM

Yeah, I saw that, but (I thought) that was because of memory
constraints.  The minimum amount of flash memory is met with my PIX,
and it even has the workaround for the flash size problem...   But to
complete that workaround I have to enter the break sequence, which just
wasn't working.  I tried with my laptop, with the built-in keyboard.
I'll try a different computer with a standard keyboard, maybe the key
mapping was a problem.

Blaze King
blazek@lake-coe.k12.ca.us

0
Reply blazeking 10/17/2005 6:33:44 PM

7.0 isn't supported on the 520.

0
Reply Mark 10/17/2005 6:59:26 PM

Are you sure about that?  I thought 7.0 and newer worked just fine on
the 520.  I'm trying to contact Cisco right now to confirm that, but I
am hoping that you're wrong!  Cause if you're right that means a big
new purchase.  I'll post the answer back when I get one.  Thank you so
far everyone!

0
Reply blazeking 10/17/2005 9:56:52 PM

In article <1129586212.883861.8280@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 <blazeking@gmail.com> wrote:
:Are you sure about that?  I thought 7.0 and newer worked just fine on
:the 520.

No, the 520 is EOS, and will never be supported in 7.0.
--
  If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge. -- Eric Sosman
0

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Cisco Pix 520
Greetings- Does anyone know or if it is possible to allow the pix to have a secondary address on an interface just like you can on a router. The reason is I have an additional netblock of IP addresses that I am using that is not contiguous with my fist netblock and I need to utilize them. If you have suggestions, please let me know. Thanks Frank In article <41b71109$0$74193$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net>, Frank Durham <fdurham@nospam.sportsendeavors.com> wrote: :Does anyone know or if it is possible to allow the pix to have a secondary :address on an interface just like yo...

Cisco PIX 520 Firewall.
Hi Folks, I bought the above-mentioned firewall from Ebay. It is running Cisco PIX Firewall v6.3(5) and it is also running PIX Device Manager(PDM) v3.0(4), with all features enabled including failover. When I was buying this firewall I did not know that the Cisco PIX Firewall 520 have to be used in pairs i.e. A primary firewall and a secondary firewall with a failover cable between them.The seller did not mention this in their listing. My question is, Can I disable the failover feature on the device, so that it can be used alone without a primary firewall. Right now, it boots up a...

Configuring Cisco PIX 520.
I have a Cisco PIX 520 that I bought to learn the configuration of Cisco PIX firewall at home. It is running Cisco PIX Firewall v6.3(5) software with PDM 3.04. I also has six physical interfaces. I have configured the outside interface and the inside interface and my systems behind the firewall are able to go to the Internet and browse. Since I have four other interfaces on a quad firewall NIC, I would like to configure each of these interfaces for machines to go to the internet also. I have a couple of ideas from reading Cisco PIX books, but I also need the advice of experienced Cisco PIX fir...

Cisco PIX 520 Firewall.
Hi Folks, I have bought the above-mentioned Cisco PIX 520 Firewall to get my hands dirty in learning Cisco PIX Firewalls at home. The Device has Pentium II 350Mhz processor, 16MB flash, 128MB RAM, it is running Cisco PIX version 6.3(5) according to the sellers. The motherboard is SE440BX-2 by Intel. I would like to upgrade the processor to PIII 850Mhz, the maximum processor that can be used on this board according to Intel documentation and upgrade the BIOS on the board to Intel P17. However, when I power up the device it shows intel boot agent version 2.2 and press Ctrl+S to get ...

Cisco PIX 520 VLANS
Greetings- I am running a Pix 520 with 6.34 software on it for vlan purposes. Is it possible to do the following. I have a Cisco 3640 Router sitting in front of my Pix 520. I have two netblocks of IP addresses that hit my Router. Both netblocks are /24 Class C. So my FE0/3 interface has two lines like this... ip address 216.54.XXX.XXX 255.255.255.240 ip address 216.54.XXX.XXX 255.255.255.240 secondary The PIX is directly connect of the FE0/3 interface, but only the first netblock is recognized by the pix. With the addtion of VLAN's is there a way for the Pix to recogn...

Cisco Pix 520 OS
I am running a Cisco Pix 520 with cer 5.0.1 os. I would love to upgrade the O.S. to the current version, but I do not have support at Cisco. Since this is a used home system, I can not afford 2000.00 for a year of support. Could someone give me access to the files I need to tftp the Os to the current version, 6 x? something. I have plenty of ram and flash ram, 128k and 16k I think, My email is douglaswscott@yahoo.com In article <e2d7hv0b5hu4n03p6s2dftdhm1mm5p1f71@4ax.com>, Doug Scott <douglaswscott@charter.net> wrote: :I am running a Cisco Pix 520 with cer 5.0.1 os. I would...

Processor upgrade of a Cisco PIX 520.
This is an easy one. The above-mentioned pix currently has a PII 350Mhz processor installed in Slot 1 bus. Since the Cisco PIX 520 actually uses an Intel PC MLB, I expected the processor physical removal from the MLB to a piece of cake. Please note that I have done this more than 1000 times with a PC having worked previously in manufacturing for 4 years. However, the CPU+Fan (Cofan KA-350U) is so solidly seated on the Slot 1 bus that I need some ideas to go around this problem. I already pressed the clip of the fan on top of the aluminium heat sink to disengage the CPU from the fan and cpu com...

What to do when the break sequence is not working in Cisco router
Hi all, Here is what to do when the break sequence does not work in password recovery: What to do when the break sequence is not working in Cisco router http://www.certificationist.com/content/view/72/41/ Comments and notes are welcomed. Regards, Mohammed ...

Configuring Cisco PIX 520. #2
I have a Cisco PIX with six interfaces with Cisco PIX v6.3(5) and PDM v3.04. I currently have the inside and outside configured and I can access the internet with my machines behind the firewall. However, I would like to configure the 4 left interfaces as 192.168.3.0/24-192.168.6.0/24 networks with NAT/PAT enabled for each interface so that each of the 4 interfaces will be its own network over which I shall put machines to go to the internet on these separate networks. Is this possible. I am new to Cisco PIX, but certainly not to networking. I believe this can be done however, some Cisco PIX d...

Help needed with a Cisco Pix 520
Hi all! I am testing my home lab and I can ping my switch/router ports from the PIX-outside and inside. However, when I try to ping across the PIX 520 from one of my switches, I am not able to. I did create the access-list and access-group to allow icmp but still no go. Any ideas? James On May 31, 1:45=A0am, jwkrych <j.krych...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hi all! > > I am testing my home lab and I can ping my switch/router ports from the > PIX-outside and inside. However, when I try to ping across the PIX 520 > from one of my switches, I am not able to. I did create the ac...

another cisco pix 520 question
Can the 520 (ISO 5.1) be configured to allow windows (MS) vpn client access? not using the cisco secure vpn client? Scott Emick In article <a2794831.0407160919.1e5cb6b2@posting.google.com>, Scott Emick <semick@msn.com> wrote: :Can the 520 (ISO 5.1) be configured to allow windows (MS) vpn client access? :not using the cisco secure vpn client? Do you mean "configured to pass through Windows client access to another machine", or do you mean "configured so that the PIX terminates the IPSec tunnel for outside Windows machines?" If you mean terminates the tunnel, ...

Cisco Pix 520 Upgrade Procedures
I recently purchased a Cisco Pix 520 firewall for a test lab. The current version of IOS software is 4.4(1) and I want to upgrade to 6.3 version or latest. I downloaded the files pix635.bin and bh61.bin to upgrade, via diskette, but it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestion? Is the upgrade possible? Thanks Scott In article <IfudndKIS7zz-IDanZ2dnUVZ_v6rnZ2d@comcast.com>, Scott J. Burrows <scottburrows07@comcast.net> wrote: >I recently purchased a Cisco Pix 520 firewall for a test lab. The current >version of IOS software is 4.4(1) and I want to upgrade to 6.3...

Testing Cisco PIX 520 with six interfaces.
Hi Folks, I have the above-mentioned equipment in my home lab that I would like to configure such that apart from the inside network and outside interface, I would also like if possible to make sure that all the quad nic interfaces(DMZs) are in good health and can pass traffic if placed in production environment. I do not want to pay for static IPs that can assigned to me by my ISP in other to do Inside dynamic NAT or even inside dynamic PAT or static NAT. What are my choices to test this Cisco PIX 520 at home? Anyway, the PIX is running 6.35 and PDM v3.04 Any suggestions will be g...

Cisco Pix Firewall 520 (6 interface)
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0051_01C6E726.2B27F410 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Cisco Pix Firewall 520 (6 interface) for sale $700. Taken from = production environment. Interested kindly sms to 9172 5548 ------=_NextPart_000_0051_01C6E726.2B27F410 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Ty...

Cisco Pix Firewall 520 (6 interface) for sales
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C6E682.0D7A8CB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Cisco Pix Firewall 520 (6 interface) for sales. Taken from production = environment. Interested party sms Mr Lim at (65) 9172 5548. ------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C6E682.0D7A8CB0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DCo...

Help! - Cisco PIX
Hi I have a SIP proxy server behind a Cisco PIX box, and need external UAs to be able to place calls through it. Since the SIP proxy handles the required address translations, I do not need the PIX to do any fixup. I have therefore disabled the fixup in the configuration file. However, the PIX is still insisting on replacing the IP address in the URI part of the digest authentication header. Since the URI forms part of the data over which the MD5 digest is calculated, this in turn invalidates the authentication response and authentication fails. If I connect the proxy directly t...

Cisco PIX 520 not taking ESC key from console connection
Using TeraTerm or Hyperterminal with VT100. I am not able to use ESC key or Ctrl-Break to break the boot process to go into password recovery mode. Does anyone have this problem or solution to this? thanks, || || |||| |||| ..:||||||:..:||||||:.. c i s c o S y s t e m s Private Internet eXchange ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Cisco Secure PIX Firewall Cisco Secure PIX Firewall Version 5....

does cisco PIX 520 IOS 5.1 support ipsec over tcp?
I am wodering if I can configure mine to. Scott Emick In article <a2794831.0407160838.165d2a3c@posting.google.com>, Scott Emick <semick@msn.com> wrote: :I am wodering if I can configure mine to. No currently released version of PIX supports ipsec encapsulation within tcp. -- Tenser, said the Tensor. Tenser, said the Tensor. Tension, apprehension, And dissension have begun. -- Alfred Bester (tDM) ...

Cisco pix 515+ static routes between 2 cisco pix
Hello everybody... I have a big problem with static routes... i have 2 cisco pix 515 with ios 6.3 and 2 interfaces A) cisco pix "A" have 3 VPN tunnels to 3 diferent remotes office Network A (remote office 1) Network B (remote office 2) Network C (remote office 3) B) Cisco pix "B" has no vpn tunnels, but i need to those guys which are connected to this pix... have access to vpn`s tunnel (Network A-Network B-Network C) on PIX "A". C) internal interfaces of Pix "A" and "B" are in the same network and have connectivity eachother (i can ping int...

Cisco pix 515 + static routes between 2 cisco pix
Hello everybody... I have a big problem with static routes... i have 2 cisco pix 515 with ios 6.3 and 2 interfaces A) cisco pix "A" have 3 VPN tunnels to 3 diferent remotes office Network A (remote office 1) Network B (remote office 2) Network C (remote office 3) B) Cisco pix "B" has no vpn tunnels, but i need to those guys which are connected to this pix... have access to vpn`s tunnel (Network A-Network B-Network C) on PIX "A". C) internal interfaces of Pix "A" and "B" are in the same network and have connectivity eachother (i can ping int...

character encoding +missing character sequence
Hi i am involved in a telnet application.the user enters input through the jsp and the output is displayed on a jsp.the problem i am facing is that the classes i am using works fine when input is given through keyboard.if it is given through jsp,then there are missing character sequences and this usually occurs at the start of the page.why is this so? if anyone has any idea please do reply me. Thanks in advance raavi wrote: > Hi > i am involved in a telnet application.the user enters input > through the jsp and the output is displayed on a jsp.the problem i am > facin...

Cisco PIX to PIX VPN issue
I have a client with two locations that I'm setting up a a point-to- point VPN. The tunnel was up and idle earlier today, it's nonexistant now, and I'm out of ideas.. At no time was I able to ping across the PIX's. Pix #1 also has a VPN config for remote clients that works fine. Here's pertinent info from each configs: PIX #1 name 192.168.1.0 CRVSH access-list nonat permit ip 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.10.0 255.255.255.0 access-list nonat permit ip 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 CRVSH 255.255.255.0 access-list 101 permit ip 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 CRVSH 255.255.255.0 ip addres...

Cisco VPN Client through PIX to a PIX
Hi, I have a weird problem that I will briefly describe and will post the configs up when I can get hold of them. Basically, I have a W2K machine running the Cisco VPN Client. This client is behind a PIX 501 running 6.3(1) software. This client connects to another 3rd party PIX via the Cisco client. The connection works just fine. Connects immediately and all seems well. If I look in the details of the VPN client I can see the routing table specified by the remote PIX. However, whilst I can send data to the remote PIX without problem, it seems nothing is coming back in. Bytes received...

connecting a Cisco 2610 to a Cisco PIX Firewall
I need assistance with a configuration. I have a cisco 2610 router in the office here. I need to connect to a customers site over our ADSL using a 3DES VPN. Our customer has a PIX515 Firewall and needs me to give him a configuration to paste onto the firewall. I have never set up a PIX515 before. We have a number of router to router VPNs set up but none to a firewall. Any config advice would be appreciated. Preferably something I could just ammend with the relevant IP Addresses and paste onto the PIX and router Thanks For a Pix 501 I have used:- access-list site-to-site permit ip PIXIP ...