Connect routers back to back with WIC-1DSU-T1

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Is it possible to connect two 2611 routers back to back using the
WIC-1DSU-T1 cards? I want to be able to use SER0/0 in my test
configs.

Thanks

Gordon Montgomery
Living Scriptures, Inc
gordon@lsi.com  (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures)
(801) 627-2000
0
Reply gordon (12) 4/16/2005 1:37:10 AM

See related articles to this posting

Gordon Montgomery wrote:
> Is it possible to connect two 2611 routers back to back using the
> WIC-1DSU-T1 cards? I want to be able to use SER0/0 in my test
> configs.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gordon Montgomery
> Living Scriptures, Inc
> gordon@lsi.com  (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures)
> (801) 627-2000

Yes, I need to look for the config but basically, you need to crimp a
cable with one side pins 1-8 and the other side swapping pins 1 & 2 with
pins 4 & 5.
Once you have it plugged in to the 2 routers, you need to set the clock
source to internal on 1 side and set it to remote on the other.

Like I said, I need to look for my configs to find the correct syntax
but its fairly easy except for the cable crimping (if you've never done
it before).
0
Reply nmajsa 4/16/2005 2:07:59 AM

To reply to myself:
  service-module t1 clock source internal
and
  service-module t1 clock source line

Everything else is set up the same
ie:
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

nmajsa wrote:
> Gordon Montgomery wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to connect two 2611 routers back to back using the
>> WIC-1DSU-T1 cards? I want to be able to use SER0/0 in my test
>> configs.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Gordon Montgomery
>> Living Scriptures, Inc
>> gordon@lsi.com  (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures)
>> (801) 627-2000
>

> Yes, I need to look for the config but basically, you need to crimp a
> cable with one side pins 1-8 and the other side swapping pins 1 & 2 with
> pins 4 & 5.
> Once you have it plugged in to the 2 routers, you need to set the clock
> source to internal on 1 side and set it to remote on the other.
>
> Like I said, I need to look for my configs to find the correct syntax
> but its fairly easy except for the cable crimping (if you've never done
> it before).

0
Reply nmajsa 4/16/2005 2:14:34 AM

In article <ey_7e.4602$dT4.2861@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>, nmajsa <majsa@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>To reply to myself:
>  service-module t1 clock source internal
>and
>  service-module t1 clock source line
>
>Everything else is set up the same
>ie:
>service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

Thank you very much. I can make the cable too. Thanks again.

Gordon Montgomery
Living Scriptures, Inc
gordon@lsi.com  (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures)
(801) 627-2000
0
Reply gordon 4/16/2005 2:31:35 AM

Hi Gordon,

You may wish to investigate the Black Box ( BB ) Custom Cable Wizard:

http://www.bradreese.com/index.htm#WIZARDS

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com Cisco Repair Worldwide
Toll Free: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Website:   http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm

0
Reply BradReeseCom 4/16/2005 2:33:22 AM
comp.dcom.sys.cisco 25198 articles. 25 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Connecting 2 Cisco Routers (back to back)
Hi everyone, This is probably a real novice question but I'm trying to connect two routers (2600's) back to back. Unfortunately I can't get them to see each other. I've set them up each serial interface with an ip address of: 10.50.0.1 10.50.0.2 I've enabled the serial ports, set encapsulation to FRAME RELAY, lmi type: CISCO. The problem is that when I run: SHOW INT S0/0 I keep getting SERIAL UP, LINE PROTOCOL DOWN I've notice when I do a SHOW FRAME-RELAY LMI it shows enquiries being sent but not received. Can anyone help me with this, i'm starting to get ...

Connecting (2) WIC-1DSU-T1 WIC T1
If I add a WIC-1DSU-T1 WIC T1 to a 2650 router and another to a 3620 router can I pin a cable to make a dte/dce connection to simulate a wan? "swpa" <swp@nxspam.flame999.com> writes: >If I add a WIC-1DSU-T1 WIC T1 to a 2650 router and another to a 3620 router >can I pin a cable to make a dte/dce connection to simulate a wan? Yes. Google on 'Cross-over T1 cable'. There'll be a ton of hits. You are beyond having a DTE or DCE once you have it encoded up to T1, but having a point-to-point T1 that is 6" long works exactly just the same as having a real...

dual router back to back serial connection (2501 <-> 2620)
Thanks in advance. Is it possible to run a back to back serial connection between a 2501 and 2620? If so, what cabling would I require? If not, is there an alternative configuration for the topology below, or should I pickup another 2620? Purpose: simulate a WAN connection between the two routers. Reason: one router would be dhcp client for cable modem, WAN serial to second router WAN serial, which acts as gateway for LAN. zelator418@gmail.com writes: >Is it possible to run a back to back serial connection between a 2501 >and 2620? >If so, what cabling would I require? >If...

Setting up back-up for Internet Connection through T1 line.
Hello all. I want to find out if it is feasible and possble to set up a backup connection to the Internet going through the T1 line between two offices and through the other ISP connection. This is my Network diagram : ISP1 --------Office 1 || || || || ISP2---------Office 2 ---- : Fast Ethernet connection to ISP || : Frame Relay T1 I want to set it up so that if Office 1 loses Internet Connectivity the traffic can go through the T1 to the Office 2 and then out to the Internet. I have Cisco 1721 and 3620 routers connecting the two offices. And Cisco PIX-515e's g...

New series routers wic-1dsu-t1 WARNING
The new ISR (1800, 2800, and 3800) routers will not work with the old wic-1dsu-t1. You must use the new wic-1dsu-t1-v2. -- ------------------------- Paul Stewart Lexnet Inc. Email address is in ROT13 I just put one in a 2801 and it detected it properly. I suppose you could be saying it detects it but it does not function properly. I ask because if it will not work then I need to purchase a proper card ASAP. MCScrapE wrote: > I just put one in a 2801 and it detected it properly. I suppose you > could be saying it detects it but it does not function properly. I a...

Cisco 2811 router
Or do you have to have the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2? Our current router uses the non-V2 version and we want to know if we can bring those over or if we need to order all new WICs. Thanks, Mick Mick.Bergman@gmail.com wrote: > Or do you have to have the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2? Our current router uses the > non-V2 version and we want to know if we can bring those over or if we > need to order all new WICs. > > Thanks, > Mick > Hi Mick, I just bought a 2821 and replaced a 2600 and was in the same position, the answer is no it will not take anything but a V2 WIC. It is a shame because it...

NYC area
NYC area - trade Cisco 2620 Router with WIC 1DSU T1 for IBM PS2 Model 50, 80 or 95 with ethernet card and 1.2 floppy info@graverobber.com http://GRAVEROBBER.com ...

back to back routers
I am having a problem creating a mock frame relay connection between two routers. Here is what i am trying to do: 10.1.1.0/24 | | Ethernet To Hub | 10.1.1.1 E0 RouterA S0 192.168.1.1 | | V.35 Serial Cable | S0 192.168.1.2 RouterB E0 192.168.102.2 | | Ethernet to Hub | 192.168.102.0/24 Here are my configs: Router A frame-relay switching interface Serial0 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 encapsulation frame-relay frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 101 broadcast clock rate 64000 frame-relay intf-type dce no shutdown Router B...

WIC-1DSU-T1 and WIC-1DSU-T1-V2
What is the difference between the two modules WIC-1DSU-T1 and WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 ? I need to connect two T1 lines for double bandwith and backup if one T1 fails. Do I have to get the V2 or any of them will do what I need ? Thanks, DT The WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 is an updated version of the WIC-1DSU-T1 interface card (which has reached End-of-Life [EoL]/End-of-Sale [EoS]), that offers additional supported features with the same performance: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps3129/products_tech_note09186a0080093d70.shtml Sincerely, Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Resource Center Toll Fr...

Serial Back-to-Back Connection
I am putting together a lab with two 2600 routers. I have two serial WICs: WIC 1DSU T1 and WIC 2T but I do not have a Smart Serial cable. If I buy one, can these two cards be used without an external CSU to connect two routers back-to-back? Does it matter which side provides clock? If I use an RS-232 break out box to verfiy I have the correct leads mapped to RJ45 pins, does it mattter whether I get a DCE or DTE Smart Serial cable? Bob Simon <nobody@nowhere.com> writes: >I am putting together a lab with two 2600 routers. I have two serial >WICs: WIC 1DSU T1 and WIC 2T but I do...

SHDSL routers back-to-back
I'm trying to connect two SHDSL routers, a Cisco 828 (IOS 12.3(6e)) and a ZyXEL Prestige 791R. I have very limited experience with ATM, and would appreciate any insight. The physical interfaces go up on both sides, but I can't seem to get any IP traffic through the VC. This is what I've done on the Cisco side: interface ATM0 no shutdown ip address 192.168.252.2 255.255.255.252 no atm ilmi-keepalive dsl equipment-type CPE dsl operating-mode GSHDSL symmetric annex B dsl linerate AUTO pvc 8/35 encapsulation aal5mux ip protocol ip 192.168.252.1 ! ! The Pres...

Daisy chaining and back-to-back connections
Good to see the group active again :-). Thanks Huub, Bert and others... Usually during our testing we use daisy chaining / loop back at far end / Back to Back connection due to lack of test set. Is these techniques used in real time scenario also? Hello Cijo Ceazer, You wrote: > Usually during our testing we use daisy chaining / loop back at far > end / Back to Back connection due to lack of test set. Is these > techniques used in real time scenario also? Yes, the creativity of system and network testers is very good. Be carefull with too many loopbacks, because the jitter and...

Back-to-back G.SHDSL Routers
I have found the following document regarding configuring back-to-back G.SHDSL, using CO and CPE emulation: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk175/tk274/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080135834.shtml Could someone explain why two ATM PVCs are required for the connection: one with aal5snap encapsulation and the other (tied to the dialer interface) with aal5mux encapsulation? Are the PVC numbers 0/35 and 8/35 significant? Cheers, Matt -- Matthew Melbourne ...

PLL jittering in a back to back connection
I have the following connection: Sync dte -- modem (rcv) -- modem (int) -- modem (ext) -- modem (rcv) -- sync dte i'm aware the clocking is far from ideal, but I have been given a scenario and there are certain aspects of it that i'm not quite sure about and i would appreciate expert opinions :) 1) Which pin in this connection is the most sensitive to PLL jittering throughout the clocking system of the connection? 2) if there are clock slips occuring at that point how can the problem be resolved with external hardware? 3) how can the clockslip problem be fixed witho...

Back to back "routers on a stick"
Have a little trouble with connectivity loss in this scenario; router1 <> switch1 <> switch2 <> router2 router1 is running dot1q vlan encapsultion. router2 is also running dot1q vlan enacpasulation. the ports on switch1 and switch2 that are connected to the routers are dot1q trunk ports. the ports that are connected via crossover between switch1 and switch2 are vlan access ports. everything works fine for several days, then locks up. all interfaces show linked and up, but no ip trafic will pass. ressetting switch 2 corrects the problem. any ideas? bad hardware or bad c...

Routers/back to back/V.35/Bandwidth
Hi, I would like have some advice regarding connecting 2 routers back to back using V.35 interface. How much bandwidth I can attain in this manner ? Is it possible to get beyond 2Mbps !! and is it ok if I use this configuration in a production environment ? Can someone please give a few pointers regarding the issue ? Thanks in advance. BB It looks like you can go up to 4 Mbps with V.35 though that is more than the recommended maximum. Take a look at http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7000/7000_him/7000prep.htm#xtocid2904339 Cisco da Gama http://...

Back to Back ARN to ARN with T1 Crossover
I'm trying to connect two ARN routers with DSU/CSU Modules with a T1 crossover cable. I have found lots of information on how to perform this operation in Cisco routers but none related to Nortel routers. Any suggestions? "Pedro De Jesus" <pedrodj@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:h0KQd.508$1P.72@fe61.usenetserver.com... > I'm trying to connect two ARN routers with DSU/CSU Modules with a T1 > crossover cable. I have found lots of information on how to perform this > operation in Cisco routers but none related to Nortel routers. Any >...

Clocking in a back to back connection with digital modems
hey guys :) I have a connection that looks like this: DTE --- DCE -- DCE -- DCE -- DCE -- DTE naturally the middle DCE's are connected back-to-back with a male-male rs232 cable. The second DCE from the left has to have an Internal transmit clock. What would be the ideal clocking configuration for the other DCE's (whether internal, external or receive [loopback]), if indeed the second DCE must be set to internal? I originally believed that the best configuration would be Internal -- External -- External -- Receive, because with a crossover male rs232 the transmit clock and ...

Back to Back ARN to ARN with T1 Crossover
I'm trying to connect two ARN routers with DSU/CSU Modules with a T1 crossover cable. I have found lots of information on how to perform this operation in Cisco routers but none related to Nortel routers. Any suggestions? Pedro, Based on BayRS Cable Reference guide the T1 pin-out is: Pin # Signal 1 Rx Ring 2 Rx Tip 4 Tx Ring 5 Tx Tip Just find or make a cable with RJ-48 connectors on each end that crosses pins 1 <--> 4 and 2 <--> 5. This is standard, it is not specific to Nortel or any other vendor. ...

Connecting two 1604's back-to-back???
Howdy, The subject line pretty much says it all. I am trying to connect two 1604 routers back-to-back via the ISDN port and do not know how to do it. What type of equipment (cables, etc.) would I need, or is this a futile exercise? Thanks in advance, SC simonychang@yahoo.com (Simon Chang) writes: >The subject line pretty much says it all. I am trying to connect two >1604 routers back-to-back via the ISDN port and do not know how to do >it. What type of equipment (cables, etc.) would I need, or is this a >futile exercise? You'd need an ISDN switch emulator of some kind ...

Connecting two HP Procurve switch back to back
Hi, I have got 4000M switches each with a J4113A module (Gigabit SX, multimode). They are around 100-200m apart. I need to connect them together. Which is the best cable? 50/125 or 62.5/125? I am in US for that matters. To make the fiber cable work like a "crossover" cable, do I just flip the two SC connectores of the duplex cable at one end so switch 1's in goes to switch 2's out, and switch 1's out goes to switch 2's in? Thanks ...

Cisco 2610 back to back serial connection problem
I have two 2610 routers connected back to back using serial interfaces, and router 1 connected to ISP using another seial interface. Router 2 I use for connecting the client networks. Using the back to back cable traffic shaping is done. My downlink is 2Mbps and uplink 512Kbps. But most of the time my uplink exceeds the limit and ISP starts complaining. And the worest is some of my users are using Net2phone and they cant hear the remote party most of the time. I suspect this uplink overloading as the reason for that too. The biggest problem is i cant figure out how this happens, cos i have n...

Connecting two 1601's back-to-back via serial interfaces
Howdy, This is sort of a follow-up to what "username" and someone else in the NG had talked about probably a week ago, except that they had discussed doing what the subject is saying using CSU/DSU interfaces and crossover T1 cables: I am trying to connect two 1601's back-to-back using a 3-foot DTE-DCE cable (60-pin), and attempting to set up a simulated frame relay so I can do some tests (mainly, to study for exams). I have followed "username"'s suggestion to do "frame-relay switching" on one of the 1601's, "Luke", and the other 1601 "...

1720 WIC-1T and WIC-1DSU-T1
currently trying to convert from frac T1 to full T1 1720 has WIC-1T in slot WIC0 (currently working) stuck the WIC-1DSU in WIC1 and WIC1(on router) light says ok CD light on 1DSU card is NOT on ISP sees loop back to end of cable (thru smart jack, and drop cable from smart jack) pressing loopback button on 1DSU card, still doesnt see it took both cards out, stuck 1DSU card in WIC0 slot, still no CD light SHOW DIAG shows: WIC Slot 1: Unknown WAN daughter card docs shows 1DSU card will work on all IOS IOS is Version 12.1(8c) do i need to somehow "turn-on" or enable the card? ...