F5 BigIP and 3DNS are running on BSD/OS and BSD/OS is discontinued

Anybody know if F5 will migrate to another OS or support BSD/OS in-house?

----------

Subject: BSD/OS ISE Product Notification
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:14:10 -0400
From: bsdos@windriver.com
To: bsdos@windriver.com

Dear BSD/OS Customer --

Thank you for your purchase and continued support of Wind River's BSD/OS
INTERNET SERVER EDITION (ISE).  We hope that our products  have met your
needs and we appreciate your business.

This letter is your official notification that we are initiating the
retirement phase for all of our BSD/OS-based products, including BSD/OS
ISE. The difficult economic situation of the past few years, as well as
other market factors, have forced us to re-evaluate our products and
realign our product offerings to meet the long term needs of our customers.
This was a very difficult decision, one which we did not make lightly.

We will be releasing one final version of BSD/OS, as BSD/OS 5.1 ISE.
This version will be available in October 2003, and will be available
as an upgrade for BSD/OS 5.0 ISE customers with current maintenance.

We recognize that you may still require support for your existing
projects.  Phone and e-mail support, as well as bug fixes and patches,
will be available from Wind River for certain versions through 31 December
2004. Contact your sales representative to make special arrangements
for support after 31 December 2004.

For more detailed information, please refer to the enclosed BSD/OS ISE
Retirement Summary.

If you have additional questions, please contact your local sales
representative.  If you are in the United States, please call
+1 800 545 WIND.

Again, we thank you for your continued support of BSD/OS over the years.

Sincerely,
Wind River
comp.dcom.sys.cisco 25313 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Running an OS for the sake of running the OS
One of Edwins favorite trolls is to claim that no one should run a OS as an end in itself when someone mentions that his beloved POS PC can't even run OSX. This has always amused me since the operating system very much sets the standard for every application that runs atop it. With Tiger, this has become very apparent. OS X gives the user a system wide search that searches just about everything in the computer. Any application can incorporate this into the application OS X gives every application the ability to tap into Core Audio, Core Image and Core Video. OS X gives the user powerful tools such as Automator to enhance and simplify the repetitive tasks one must do with other operating systems. OS X ships with a built in dictionary and thesaurus. OS X ships with a built in and system wide spell checker. OS X has a .Mac frameworks which means that contacts, bookmarks, calendars can be synced via .Mac with multiple computers, and third party applications can use the same functionality. OS X ships with H.264, which is a supreme video codec. Windows still can't handle mpeg4 out of the box (unless some late WMP update has changed that). And so on. These are all reasons why it's better to have OSX running under your application than having Windows. -- Sandman[.net] In article <mr-15B2D6.22175116052005@individual.net>, mr@sandman.net says... > OS X has a .Mac frameworks which means that contacts, bookmarks, calendars can > be synced ...

Run OS X on OS X
I have a new G5 with 4GB of RAM. I have a G3 running WebStar and the machine is showing signs of age. I would like to move it to this new machine but also use this machine for development. I was thinking I could run the webstar and related in a seperate instance of OS X and have that running while I develop in the main OS X instance. Thoughts? -Jason jason.slack@gmail.com (Slack) writes: >I was thinking I could run the webstar and related in a seperate >instance of OS X and have that running while I develop in the main OS >X instance. Sorry, I'm not familiar with webstar, ...

Running a BSD script without BSD?
Here's the deal. I downloaded an image of the Freesbie distribution for USB Pen Drives, and the .sh script that goes along with it. The site is here: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.freesbie/1061 I figured I'd run the script under cygwin, and everything would be hunky -dory. However, the script doesn't seem to like my mount point for the pen drive in cygwin, even though it's been mapped correctly from F:. Somebody suggested to me that the script can be run only from within FreeBSD (which is kinda stupid if you're trying to get FBSD up and running in the first place). Ideas or suggestions? In article <NNVre.4745$NX4.4645@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, John Hokanson Jr. <johnhokansonNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote: > > >Here's the deal. I downloaded an image of the Freesbie distribution for >USB Pen Drives, and the .sh script that goes along with it. The site is >here: > >http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.freesbie/1061 > >I figured I'd run the script under cygwin, and everything would be hunky >-dory. However, the script doesn't seem to like my mount point for the >pen drive in cygwin, even though it's been mapped correctly from F:. > >Somebody suggested to me that the script can be run only from within >FreeBSD (which is kinda stupid if you're trying to get FBSD up and >running in the first place). > >Ideas o...

smX and BSD/OS
1) Please correct BDSI to BSDI ouch!! 2) When I did a make check I got: Script started on Sun Nov 6 21:06:59 2005 doctor.nl2k.ab.ca//usr/source/smX-0.0.0.0$ make test make: don't know how to make test. Stop doctor.nl2k.ab.ca//usr/source/smX-0.0.0.0$ make check Making check in librepl Making check in statethreads Making check in examples make lookupdns proxy server client smtps smtps2 smtps3 smtpc smtpc2 smtpcr clt2 srv2 thr-1 `lookupdns' is up to date. `proxy' is up to date. `server' is up to date. `client' is up to date. `smtps' is up to date. `smtps2' is up to date. `smtps3' is up to date. `smtpc' is up to date. `smtpc2' is up to date. `smtpcr' is up to date. `clt2' is up to date. `srv2' is up to date. `thr-1' is up to date. make check-TESTS 13377: Segmentation fault failed to listen on localhost:1235 failed to start threads wrong number of waiting threads wrong number of busy threads wrong number of requests kill: 13377: No such process 5 error(s) FAIL: srv.sh 13408: Segmentation fault failed to listen on localhost:1235 failed to start threads wrong number of waiting threads wrong number of busy threads wrong number of requests kill: 13408: No such process found ERROR in smtps.log kill: 13475: No such process kill -USR1 failed: 0 FAIL: smtp.sh I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that (running as root) FAIL: thr-1 =================== 3 of 3 tests fa...

Problem running bind 9.2.3, bind 9.2.4rc2 and bind 9.3.0beta2 on bsd/os 5.1
named.run gives me: 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.656 starting BIND 9.3.0beta2 -d 9 -n 2 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.668 found 1 CPU, using 2 worker threads 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.679 loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf' 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.705 set maximum stack size to 67108864: success 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.706 set maximum data size to 1073741824: success 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.706 set maximum core size to 0: success 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.706 set maximum open files to 128: success 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.719 listening on IPv4 interface lo0, 127.0.0.1#53 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.720 clientmgr @0x8189b40: create 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.721 clientmgr @0x8189b40: createclients 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.721 clientmgr @0x8189b40: create new 16-Apr-2004 17:35:17.721 client @0x8195000: create 16-Apr-2004 17:35:18.137 clientmgr @0x8189b40: create new 16-Apr-2004 17:35:18.138 client @0x8195800: create 16-Apr-2004 17:35:18.558 clientmgr @0x8189b40: createclients 16-Apr-2004 17:35:18.558 clientmgr @0x8189b40: create new 16-Apr-2004 17:35:18.558 client @0x8207000: create 16-Apr-2004 17:35:19.438 res 0x8318f00: create and rndc status gives me rndc: connect failed: connection refused Why? -- Member - Liberal International On 11 Sept 2001 the WORLD was violated. This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Society MUST be saved! Extremists must dissolve. Time to see the eternal relegation of Man U, Liverpool, Everton and Millwall ...

BSD/OS 3.1
Hello - I was left with a machine with BSD/OS (I think it was a BSDI product) on it after an employee for a firm I work for quit. I don't have the root password, and need to recover it or change it. How could I do that? The OS seems to be a few years old, and I'm having a hard time finding decent documentation. Also, I may find myself in the situation of having to move numerous users to a newer FreeBSD 4.x box. I can do this manually if I have to (it may not be very many users anyway), but I was wondering if there might be an easy way to do it with a script or something. Thank you very much! In article <pan.2004.01.24.20.30.16.477000@no.org>, Bolwerk <no@no.org> wrote: >Hello - > >I was left with a machine with BSD/OS (I think it was a BSDI product) on >it after an employee for a firm I work for quit. I don't have the root >password, and need to recover it or change it. How could I do that? The OS >seems to be a few years old, and I'm having a hard time finding decent >documentation. > >Also, I may find myself in the situation of having to move numerous users >to a newer FreeBSD 4.x box. I can do this manually if I have to (it may >not be very many users anyway), but I was wondering if there might be an >easy way to do it with a script or something. > >Thank you very much! reboot the system. during startup countdown 4 3 ... hit the enter key and type /bsd You wil...

BSD/OS with a question mark
Right: Running BSD/OS 4.3.1 all patched. Runns well in a dual 1.0 GHz, dual 1.8GHZ and choke in dual Xeon 3+ with sd0: sn 0 ... parity error check . I have a backup however with the latest Apache 2.0, chokes with an abort trap, crashes on Pyhton when creating a google map and seems to have a whole. Should I rebuild the backup from scratch or overwite he backup hoping this corrects the condition? Reason for crosspost, I wonder if other BSDs have seen a similar condition. -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen a...

OS X application wanted to run as OS 9
Hello, I ve currently quite a strange problem. My application is running on OS X, it s carbonized. I m using CW 8.3. Evertyning worked well in the past (2 or 3 months ago) but now I m going back to work on it and I m facing a problem : if I compile in debug mode everything goes well. When I compile in release and try to launch the application, I can see in the dockbar the Icon of my application as an OSX application but 2 or 3 seconds later the icon disappear and the Classic Environment is launched. Of course it s not at all the wanted behaviour. So any idea/hint/direct...

is there possible to attack host os from guest os running on the xen or vmare?
is there possible to attack host os from guest os running on the xen or vmare? For exp , the attack gain the full control of the guest os , does he/ she have the possibility to exploit the Host OS? I remember there found a way can do so ... xi4oyu wrote: > is there possible to attack host os from guest os running on the xen > or vmare? Anything is possible (anything). > > For exp , the attack gain the full control of the guest os , does he/ > she have the possibility to exploit the Host OS? It is possible... the trick to to make sure that you keep yoursel...

Explain this one: OS 9 app runs fine under OS X
Remember how I was impressed that the Eudora I had on my 9.1 G4 ran great under OS X in classic mode? I restarted (after installing a few updates) and started up Eudora again the same way I had before -- by clicking on an alias to its preferences. I then realized -- classic wasn't starting up -- and then realized that Eudora was running fine on native OS X I should have been a little more observant earlier and paid attention to the fact that its windows were OS X windows, not OS 9 ones! So how can that be? I'm on Eudora 5.2 (never updated that either) and it certainly isn't bi...

Looking for BSD/OS X routing solution
I'm looking for a solution to a networking dilemma in MacOS X (ignore the GUI - I'm talking BSD userland here). I'm hoping that at least one BSD networking guru knows the solution. Quick summary of what I want to accomplish: I want to abstract the ethernet interface presented to the rest of the network, and route en0 and en1 traffic through it. That way, one could seamlessly unplug their 100baseT connection (en0) and roam on 802.11b/g (en1) without any connections or network activity (ldap, lpr, nfs, etc.) being aware of it. Expanded information: System Setup: We're using OS X 10.2.6 (10.3 as soon as available). All IP addresses are handed out by DHCP, but are locked to the various MAC addresses using the fixed-address parameter. All internal addresses are in the 192.168.1.0 network. The DHCP server also specifies the ldap server (option code 95). All network volumes are nfs, specified as mounts in the ldap server. Directory Services on the Macs knows to look for authentication and volume information in ldap. NFS volumes are mounted at bootup on known mount points (unix-style), NEVER by the users (classic Mac style). Servers are Slackware 9. Considerations: We have both regular workstations which are *only* attached to the network, and PowerBooks which *may* be wired or wireless. The workstations learn about the ldap server from dhcp, and look to it for authentication. Home directories are on an NFS mount, thus enabling...

Re: DIG hangs on BSD/OS 5.0
At 06:24 PM 11/21/2004, John Palmer (NANOG Acct) wrote: >Had this problem with 9.2.3 and still with 9.3.0 on BSD/OS 5.0 > >dig will work - it will return the results, but hangs just before exiting >- only CTL-Z will >stop it. > >I didn't see any mention of this in the archives. Any suggestions. Huh? Ctrl-Z isn't supposed to stop it. Did you mean Ctrl-C? Ctrl-Z just suspends the app. Danny ...

Inconsistency between os.getgroups and os.system('groups') after os.setgroups()
Run this test program as root: import os print "before:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") os.setgroups([]) print "after:", os.getgroups() os.system("groups") After the os.setgroups, os.getgroups says that the process is not in any gr= oups, just as you would expect. However the groups command run using os.sy= stem says that the process is in the root group. It appears that the new p= rocess started by os.system augments the group membership specified in the = os.setgroups command with the group of the actual user of the original proc= ess (which is root). I can suppress membership in the root group only by d= oing os.setgid and os.setuid before the os.system call (in which case I win= d up in the group of the new user instead of root), but I have to be able t= o get back to root privilege so I can't use setgid and setuid. How do I ru= n a program from a Python script running as root such that the group member= ship of the process running the program does not include root? Am 25.03.2012 23:32, schrieb jeff: > After the os.setgroups, os.getgroups says that the process is not in > any groups, just as you would expect... I can suppress > membership in the root group only by doing os.setgid and os.setuid > before the os.system call (in which case I wind up in the group of > the > new user instead of root), but I have to be able to get back to root > privilege so I can't use setgid and setuid. Simply ...

Install OS X from OS 9.2 and OS X .dmg files
Hi, I have : * the 3 disk images .dmg "Mac OS X 10.3 Panther final install disk 1", 2 and 3 retrieved from the 'chocolate' network (Gnutella), * an iMac with Mac OS 9.2, * a CD-RW drive with HotBurn (Iomega). What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? TIA Fr�d�ric tomcat <noone@nodomain.int> wrote: > What would you suggest me to do now to boot my iMac with Panther? Buy the CDs. > Which pieces of the puzzle do I miss? Integrity. -- Mike Rosenberg <http://www.macconsult.co...

Is OS 9 required on hard disk to run classic apps in Mac OS X (say, Panther) ?
I have OS 9 and Jaguar on separate partitions. I thought it would be right time to wipe off everything (offcourse, I do have backup of personal data, apps, etc) on my harddisk and make a clean install of Panther. I don't want to have OS 9 anymore on that another partition on my harddisk. My question is, if I need to invoke classic apps in Panther is it required to have OS 9 on harddisk or Panther alone has everything to emulate classic runtime? BTW, only classic application that I still need under Mac OS X is VNC client. thanks In article <qV_lb.5726$vj1.3796@newssvr27.news.pro...

OS/2 gurus! Help with OS/2 config.sys Fwd: Trouble with a Personal System/2
Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem. Config.sys has been changed. Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update. Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved things. -------- Original Message -------- Subject: Trouble with a Personal System/2 Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:40:20 -0400 From: <brian@centralindianapatternandmold.com> To: <ohland@charter.net> please help . config.sys got changed os2 ibm indurstial computer-will not boot? In article <npapo.23064$qU5.8268@newsfe20.iad>, Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net> wrote: > Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem. > > Config.sys has been changed. > > Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this > was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update. > > Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved > things. 1. Boot (C-A-D). 2. Wait for "boot blob" at top left corner of the screen (a white box, and "OS/2"). 3. Press Alt-F1. 4. Select "Boot to command prompt (use original CONFIG.SYS)" option. 5. Fix the CONFIG.SYS Alternatively, boot to command prompt from the OS/2 installation diskettes. -- Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand "New interface ...

Windows NFS client that can talk to OS-9 (BSD)?
I have been trying to get a Windows XP box to talk via NFS to Linux or OS-9. I have used two different NFS clients for XP (including Microsoft's own Services for Unix 3.5) with no luck. If it was just limited to OS-9, I could focus on that, but I also cannot browse file systems on a Linux box. (Note that OS-9 can mount itself, and BSD boxes can talk to OS-9 just fine; the OS-9 networking stack is BSD based, so that makes sense.) Does anyone here actually use a Windows NFS client to talk to anything? I haven't been able to get it to work at all. Anyone done this? ...

What is it that runs the OS
I recently made two claims: 1) Keyboards, of course, can be designed with different OSs in mind, but they do not run the OS... 2) *Computers* run operating systems. There has been some disagreement with this... I am wondering what others think. Seems a no-brainer to me, but hey, people may have different ideas. By the way, it goes without saying that some computers, mostly laptops these days, have keyboard and screens and other things built into them that desktop computers do not. That, as far as I know, is not in question by anyone. -- ��Pros aren't beginners in their field (though there are new pros) ��Similarly configured Macs and Win machines tend to cost roughly the same ��Some people do use the term "screen name" in relation to IRC In article <C14BEE20.61991%SNIT@CABLEONE.NET.lNVALID>, Snit <SNIT@CABLEONE.NET.lNVALID> wrote: > I recently made two claims: > > 1) Keyboards, of course, can be designed with different OSs in mind, but > they do not run the OS... Gee, did anyone claim that keyboards "run" OSes all on their own? It's baffling that you are going to ask an irrelevant question based on your inability to comprehend what you read and use it in a feeble attempt to garner a consensus for something than needs no consensus ... all so that you can hold it up and erroneously claim you are 'right' about something. It must **truly** suck to be you;) Ya know... I almost feel 'guilty&...

os.pipe() + os.fork()
--Sig_/DfRt9Dxw+_.=lNFY4dG045U Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I have a problem using os.pipe() together with os.fork(). Usually when the writing end of the pipe is closed, the reading end gets EOF. So subsequent attempts to read data will return an empty string. But when you call os.fork() after you have created a pipe using os.pipe(), and read data from the pipe in the child process, when the partent process has already closed the writing end, the reading end does not get EOF. Instead of the os.read() call in the child process is b...

[News] GNU Counters Windows, BSD Powers OS X

RISC OS
Hi There is a mailing list for RISC OS and Linux/Unix/BSD (referred to as *X from now on) interoperability. The web access to the list for subscribing etc is at: http://riscository.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/x-riscos-list_riscository.co.uk Subscribing can also be done by email, by sending an email from the address to be subscribed, to x-riscos-list-request@riscository.co.uk with "subscribe" in the subject line (a password will be generated for the subscriber and emailed back to them). On topic includes. (Support and discussion) Running RISC OS emulators on *X Networking between RISC OS and *X RISC OS like *X distributions (eg Puppy) Running *X programs on RISC OS desktop (eg VNC) Customising *X for RISC OS like behaviour Producing a RISC OS like distro (eg ROLF) Normal RISC OS group etiquette applies. -- Jess Hampshire mailto:jess@itworkshop-nexus.net http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net Plain text emails with interleaved, trimmed replies please. (RFC 1855) _______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce. Submissions to csaa@owlart.net Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net ...

for os scripting I use tcl now, can haskell do well? linux or bsd
wondering? ...

Linux, *BSD, etc. OS which uses UltraSPARC's LSB mode ?
Hi! ---- Is there any OS (Linux, BSD, etc.) which uses the UltraSPARC in LSB mode (normally SPARC is MSB, but AFAIK UltraSPARC has a LSB mode as well) ? ---- Bye, Roland P.S.: Yes, I know this is slightly offtopic but there is more hope that the matching Sun engineers who may know the details read this here than in any other channel. Please don't start a flamewar just because you see the word "Linux" ... :) -- __ . . __ (o.\ \/ /.o) roland.mainz@nrubsig.org \__\/\/__/ MPEG specialist, C&&JAVA&&Sun&&Unix programmer /O /==\ O\ TEL +49 641 7...

Using netfront xen driver in BSD based OS without using mbuf
Hello, I am working on an OS which is freebsd based, we do not use the regular mbuf for packet processing but some customized packet buffers. They work fine with are regular physical NIC drivers. Now we want to port our OS on XEN using PV NIC. For this we need to use netfront driver. But after seeing the regular netfront driver implementation for BSD it looks like we need to use mbuf. Could some one please help us in using the netfront driver without using mbuf. Instead of it we want to use are customized packet buffer. Thanks in advance. ...

Web resources about - F5 BigIP and 3DNS are running on BSD/OS and BSD/OS is discontinued - comp.dcom.sys.cisco

Discontinued merit badges (Boy Scouts of America) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of merit badges formerly offered by the Boy Scouts of America. In some cases, the entire subject has been dropped from the merit ...

Pro Football (discontinued) on the App Store on iTunes
Get Pro Football (discontinued) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Tasty Toobs discontinued, joining Spearmint Leaves and Green Frogs in snack heaven
WHEN was the last time you had a packet of Tasty Toobs cheese rings?

Rape charges against Stephen Milne to be discontinued
Former St Kilda star Stephen Milne has had rape charges against him dropped and now appears set to avoid jail for indecently assaulting a woman ...

Discontinued drugs mean complications for patients
The issue of discontinued, or orphan, drugs is becoming a big problem for hundreds of Canadians. When drug companies decide to pull medication ...

Five discontinued cars we’ll miss (and five we won’t)
Take a moment to remember 10 cars we've seen discontinued in the last little while

Canadian Penny Discontinued: Eliminating Copper Coin Will Cost Taxpayers
OTTAWA - The demise of Canada's one-cent coin next year will cost taxpayers a pretty penny.Finance Minister Jim Flaherty announced the impending ...

Discontinued Starbucks Cookies Causing Controversy
Some old cookies are freaking people out.

Eli Lilly Stumbles on Discontinued Drug Trial
Eli Lilly is suffering after bad news about its evacetrapib for high-risk atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.

CU journalism school to be discontinued
BOULDER - The University of Colorado announced Wednesday its School of Journalism and Mass Communications will be discontinued. "We want to ...