Resetting a Switch to Factory Settings

I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.

Is there an easy way of doing this?

comp.dcom.sys.cisco 25294 articles. 25 followers. Post Follow

K schrieb:
> I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
> set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
>
> Is there an easy way of doing this?

Yes.

Depends ... if you have the passwords for the switches you may use write
erase and reload

If not you will have to reset the switch at boot-time.

Search the cisco web site and you will find some tons of docs about that.

Klaus

--
Klaus Zerwes
http://www.zero-sys.net
On 6 Nov, 09:12, "K" <n...@spam.net> wrote:
> I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
> set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
>
> Is there an easy way of doing this?

In all cases you need a console cable.

If they are 2950 or (2960 - these are the current model.)
Not -XL at the end.

You need to -
connect up console
log in if necessary
go to enable mode with the "enable" commmand
"write erase" - this is the old command and there is a
                     more descripitvely named one as well.
                     but I dont know what it is.
"reload"  - or just switch off

Was there a 2900XL series? If it is one of these then the above
may work or it may be different. I forget.

If there are passwords and you dont know them
you will have to do password recovery first.
Search the cisco web site for the words

"model-no" password recovery

This should turn up the correct document.

0
bod43
11/7/2008 12:36:49 AM
In article <73b1281d-6f40-40e2-af4e-f6643b5d81be@o4g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
bod43  <Bod43@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>On 6 Nov, 09:12, "K" <n...@spam.net> wrote:
>> I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
>> set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
>>
>> Is there an easy way of doing this?
>
>In all cases you need a console cable.
>
>If they are 2950 or (2960 - these are the current model.)
>Not -XL at the end.
>
>You need to -
>connect up console
>log in if necessary
>go to enable mode with the "enable" commmand
>"write erase" - this is the old command and there is a
>                     more descripitvely named one as well.
>                     but I dont know what it is.

erase startup-config

also, delete flash:/vlan.dat to clear the vlan database.

This should work with most, if not all, of the IOS based switches.

>"reload"  - or just switch off
>
>Was there a 2900XL series? If it is one of these then the above
>may work or it may be different. I forget.

yes. the same procedure should work.

>If there are passwords and you dont know them
>you will have to do password recovery first.
>Search the cisco web site for the words
>
>"model-no" password recovery
>
>This should turn up the correct document.

Bob Vaughan  | techie @ tantivy.net 		  |
	     | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
0
techie

Reset or not to reset
What is the consensus of opinion regarding the use of a explicity coded global reset line that is driven by a power on reset circuit? I'm targeting Xilinx Virtex II and QuickLogic Eclipse (both are available in radiation hardened versions). The QL part resets all flops at reset. The Xilinx can set/reset a flop. Therefore, theoretically I wouldn't need a POR circuit and waste the routing resources. However, eliminating the explicitly coded reset makes the Verilog synthesis optimizer do strange things since it doesn't know what the initial value of the flop will...

Simulink modeling of RF switches
Hey, I wanted to know if it is possible to model SP4T RF switch in the Simulink environment? I tried to trace it in the RF toolbox but didn't find any. Thanks, AB ...

how to get and set component and mouse's coordinate in Tcl/Tk?
I'm trying to let component can be drag by mouse. But I don't know how to get and set the component and mouse's x,y coordinate. this is code in TCLCOOKBOOK: but I can't find any code of it. ################################################## global sb so x1 y1 lw ;#declare some globals frame .fr -width 24c -height 13.6c -bd 2 ;#main frame pack .fr wm title . "Canvas" frame .fr.menubar -relief raised -bd 2 pack .fr.menubar -padx 1 -fill x frame .fr.panl -width 3.6c -height 12.8c -bg black frame .cfr -width 20.4c -height 12.4c -bd 1 pack .fr.panl .cfr -in .fr -side...

SDM like Tool for Cisco Switches ?
Hello all, is there an "SDM like" Tool for Cisco Switches ? The Cisco Network Assistant is good but does not go as far as the SDM Tool for the Cisco Router configuration ? Is there another Tool for Switches available ? -- Georg www.dingler-it.de Hi Georg, You may wish to investigate CiscoWorks CiscoView: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps4565/index.html Sincerely, Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix http://www.BradReese.Com/ 1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-54...

Smartphone kill-switch bill passes California assembly today
A bill requiring that all smartphones sold in California contain a “kill-switch” that allows users to disable them if stolen was approved by the California Assembly on Thursday morning. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2462940/smartphone-killswitch-bill-passes-california-assembly.html Doesn't this software already exist (eg lookout)? https://www.lookout.com/remote-wipe-phones Or, is this new law mandating something different? In article <ls0llb$mgd$2@news.albasani.net>, Cl�ment Durand <ClementDurand@nowhere.example.com> wrote: > A bill requiring that all smar...

why don't people switch to mac?
Hi, There seem to be a lot of effort by Apple in getting people to switch from a PC (windows) environment to Mac. But still, PCs with Windows are getting more populair. Why is this? Why don't people switch to using Macintosch's instead of PCs? Best regards, John In article <Xns95E99B3C19D72JohnDoe93nospammailc@212.83.64.210>, John <JohnDoeyh93[no-spam]@mailcity.com> wrote: > Hi, > > > There seem to be a lot of effort by Apple in getting people to switch from > a PC (windows) environment to Mac. But still, PCs with Windows are getting > more ...

US-TX-Austin: Business Support Spc., Master/Factory planning, MS Office; C-P (45320257610)
US-TX-Austin: Business Support Spc., Master/Factory planning, MS Office; C-P (45320257610) ========================================================================================== Position: Business Support Spc. Reference: SMC01635 Location: Austin TX Duration: C-P Skills: Bachelor Degree in Information Systems; Computer Science; Engineering; or related field. 5+ years direct IT/IS experience in business integration and system support. Strong understanding of master and factory planning in a semicond...

TCP connection reset issue
Hello I am trying to resolve connection issues between a Linux box running Suse 10.0 2.6.16.21-0.25-default and a windows 2000 machine using VNC and the same Linux box and an Irix machine with an ssh -X session. below are the last parts of ethereal capture sessions which share the same pattern. The Linux box begins begins a set of TCP Retransmissions with what seems to be the appropriate delays. Then sends out an ARP request. Gets an answer back. Sends out a another TCP Retransmission. Both the Windows and Irix machines respond with a reset RST. The VNC viewer or X session close out genera...

KDE gamma setting
If I change the gamma setting for my monitor using the display control in the KDE control center, the setting only works while that control screen is open. If I close it, the gamma goes back to 1.0. The box to load setting at KDE startup is checked. I tried adding a gamma setting to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and I can see that the new setting is in effect during KDE startup, but it switches back to 1.0 shortly after the desktop appears. I am using kde 3.5.4, on a Debian etch install. __/ [ 46kmz5j02@sneakemail.com ] on Monday 18 September 2006 20:32 \__ > If I change the gamma setting for ...

How to count in sub-sets of a continuous variable?
I have a dataset with multiple rows per ID. Each of the rows has a unique time stamp. I want to count how many ID's have data within certain time windows. Here's a code that counts the number of rows in each time-window. proc sql ; title 'N of Patients and Visits during FU by Procedure' ; select count('CTU-ID'n) label='Total Visits', count (unique 'CTU-ID'n) label='Total Patients', sum(Days LE 30) label='Visits within 30 Days', sum(Days between 31 and 90) label='Visits 31 to 90 Days', sum(Days ...

HP 930C ink level reset
After ink recharge, my printer alwais display low level ink. I've tried with printhead "contact cover" method, with "power-off without printheads" method (for 3 hours). Nothing to do. Can someone help me with a "sure" reset method ??? ...

Ink Level Reset
Hello have you got any suggestions how to reset ink level in Canon MP 150 br, rusiu rusiu wrote: > Hello > have you got any suggestions how to reset ink level in Canon MP 150 > > br, > rusiu ABSOLUTELY. BUY A NEW CANON OEM INK CART rusiu <rusiu@poczta.fm> wrote in news:du1h3u$n36$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl: > Hello > have you got any suggestions how to reset ink level in Canon MP 150 > > br, > rusiu Leave it. Manually monitor ink levels. On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:49:58 GMT, Gary Tait <classicsat@yahoo.com> wrote: >ru...

AW: factorial analysis
Hello Francisco, PrincipalComponents[data] can be found in the package: <<Statistics`MultiDescriptiveStatistics` I tried it, it works. Best regards, Matthias Bode Sal. Oppenheim jr. & Cie. KGaA Untermainanlage 1 D-60329 Frankfurt am Main GERMANY Tel.: +49(0)69 71 34 53 80 Mobile: +49(0)172 6 74 95 77 Fax: +49(0)69 71 34 95 380 E-mail: matthias.bode@oppenheim.de Internet: http://www.oppenheim.de -----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht----- Von: Francisco Gutierrez [mailto:fgutiers2002@yahoo.com] Gesendet: Dienstag, 6. Juli 2004 09:35 An: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net B...

factorial of very big number like 4096
Hi How to write a program to get the factorial of 4096. I am working on a Linux m/c. Best Regards, Subra mailursubbu@gmail.com wrote: > Hi > > How to write a program to get the factorial of 4096. > I am working on a Linux m/c. The simplest and ***out of topic*** answer is to write echo 'a=1 ; for (b=1;b<4097;b++) {a = a *b} ; a' | bc But since you posted here I assume that you want to do it with C. Then you can download a big numbers library and use that. (I'm assuming that you know how to write a programme which calculates a smaller factorial.) I have no...

Layer 3 switch model?
Hi, I'm a college student & my final year project is to upgrade & reconfigure my college network... The college has 700 PC's. It's an adhoc network. I have recommended VLANS. In all there will be 7 VLANS. I want to know which model of Layer 3 switches I should recommend to the college. It shouldn't be very costly. Please give me your suggestions/ recommendations. Since this is your college project, I think your the one who needs to do the research and figure that out. Isn't that the purpose of your final year project? http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/h...

User defined function causes empty result set
I have created a UDF that takes an INTEGER as parameter and returns a VARCHAR. Whenever I try to use the function in a SELECT, it causes the SELECT to return an empty result set. I'm on V7. Knut Stolze <stolze@de.ibm.com> wrote in message news:<bfikun$2fc$2@fsuj29.rz.uni-jena.de>... > 3W <trefork@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > I have created a UDF that takes an INTEGER as parameter and returns a > > VARCHAR. Whenever I try to use the function in a SELECT, it causes the > > SELECT to return an empty result set. > > How does your functio...

How do I reset the "System Registration"?
Hi, I've installed S10u4 on a laptop, and, because it didn't have a functioning NIC at the time I didn't register it. Bunged in the Broadcom driver from <http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/>, so I have connectivity, but the registration thing is asking for a Service Plan Number, and I can't find up a variant that has the "No Service Plan at this time" option. And, somehow, I must have managed not to hit the "Register Later" option, so I don't have that available. Of course, I could just re-install it, but if I don't have to... Ch...

Samsung toner reset?
I bought a Samsung SCX-4016 laser printer and have figured out that I can refill the toner very easy......one problem though. They must have a chip in them to limit the number of prints. The printer is showing the toner is empty when in fact it's full. Does anyone know of a way around this? Is there a fix or trick or am I screwed into buying a new one every 3000 prints? ...

Access Query Question Using Iif Or Switch
I have a query (query1) that contains a number of result fields. One of those fields (field1), can contain any or all of the following values: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8. I also have a field (field2) in a one record table that is one of tables I'm linking in query1. If the value in field2 equals 1 or 3 or 5 or 7 then I only want to show the records in query1 that have a 1 (or 3 or 5 or 7) in field1. If field2 equals 2 or 4 or 6 or 8, then I don't want to change anything in query1. I can't seem to accomplish this in query1 using Iif or Switch in the criteria or field row and I...

Set Mode" (8B06) SET failed on device wlan0 :/Skipped services in runlevel 5: pcmcia smbfs...
Hi, ---I have problems to get my netgear wlan PCI device running and ---I have problems to mount directories via samba on windows xp . Login works and I also see the file structure, but I could not open a file . the login popup pops up again and again but I could not login and execute /open/copy a file. - the wlan first gets no IP (DHCP is activated) and then this message pops up: I get this message at my boot log. wlan0 ERROR: command 'iwconfig wlan0 mode Secondary' returned Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid ...

virtex4 software reset problem.
HI I made a small amendment to a tutorial I found online "http://www.fpgadeveloper.com/2008/02/integrating-vhdl-design-into-peripheral-2.html" (which worked fine), but it is not working as one could expect. Can anyone tell me why? Please see my C code area with asterisk to find the problem. I am guessing the problem is with software reset. If yes, How do I fix this? library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.std_logic_arith.all; use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all; entity multiplier is port( clk : in std_logic; rst : in std_logic; a : in std...

Slow win2k/win2k network and switch LED flashing constantly
I need to find a strategy to debug my TCP/IP network. It just connects a pair of PC's. One running Win2k and the other WinXP. Both PC's fully updated. Apart from the network being very slow I notice that the network traffic LED on my switch is flashing constantly. It does thi8s even if I lock down the network connection with the firewall. Can anybody suggest a software utility or strategy to identify the cause of my slow network. ...

Switching between two models
Good People: Hi, I have a program that runs two models for different data sets. The first model, that is preferred over second one, does not converge sometimes, because number of cases is less than enough. Instead I switch to the second model that does not have such a problem up to a point (when sample size is very low, the second model does not converge also). When the second model does not converge I do not want to go further. Running these models for different data sets I have hard time in checking each model one by one to see which is good for an especial file. So, my question is: I...

How do you reset Spotlight?
A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index? In article <1117774645.142202.215530@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "-oo0-GoldTrader-0oo-" <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote: > A lot of stuff is missing, how do you make Spotlight make a new index? I'm not sure, but if you go to the spotlight preference pane, you should be able to check all the items you want displayed. Then, Spotlight should automatically index you hard drive(s). -- Dave Fritzinger Honolulu, HI In comp.sys.mac.system -oo0-GoldTrader-0oo- <nomads_05@yahoo.com> wrote: ...

Cisco 2504 Password reset
I have a 2504 router, that is password protected. How do I reset this, not worried about keeping config data. Any advice appreciated. Cheers, Kristian In article <bp09s7$g13$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, Kristian Davies <Post@tonewsgroup.com> wrote: :I have a 2504 router, that is password protected. :How do I reset this, not worried about keeping config data. Search www.cisco.com for 2500 password reset and you should find complete instructions (probably involving a connection to the serial port, a power cycle, sending break within a few seconds, changing the config regist...