Resetting a Switch to Factory Settings

I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.

Is there an easy way of doing this?

comp.dcom.sys.cisco 25310 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

K schrieb:
> I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
> set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
>
> Is there an easy way of doing this?

Yes.

Depends ... if you have the passwords for the switches you may use write
erase and reload

If not you will have to reset the switch at boot-time.

Search the cisco web site and you will find some tons of docs about that.

Klaus

--
Klaus Zerwes
http://www.zero-sys.net
On 6 Nov, 09:12, "K" <n...@spam.net> wrote:
> I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
> set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
>
> Is there an easy way of doing this?

In all cases you need a console cable.

If they are 2950 or (2960 - these are the current model.)
Not -XL at the end.

You need to -
connect up console
log in if necessary
go to enable mode with the "enable" commmand
"write erase" - this is the old command and there is a
                     more descripitvely named one as well.
                     but I dont know what it is.
"reload"  - or just switch off

Was there a 2900XL series? If it is one of these then the above
may work or it may be different. I forget.

If there are passwords and you dont know them
you will have to do password recovery first.
Search the cisco web site for the words

"model-no" password recovery

This should turn up the correct document.

0
bod43
11/7/2008 12:36:49 AM
In article <73b1281d-6f40-40e2-af4e-f6643b5d81be@o4g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
bod43  <Bod43@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>On 6 Nov, 09:12, "K" <n...@spam.net> wrote:
>> I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
>> set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
>>
>> Is there an easy way of doing this?
>
>In all cases you need a console cable.
>
>If they are 2950 or (2960 - these are the current model.)
>Not -XL at the end.
>
>You need to -
>connect up console
>log in if necessary
>go to enable mode with the "enable" commmand
>"write erase" - this is the old command and there is a
>                     more descripitvely named one as well.
>                     but I dont know what it is.

erase startup-config

also, delete flash:/vlan.dat to clear the vlan database.

This should work with most, if not all, of the IOS based switches.

>"reload"  - or just switch off
>
>Was there a 2900XL series? If it is one of these then the above
>may work or it may be different. I forget.

yes. the same procedure should work.

>If there are passwords and you dont know them
>you will have to do password recovery first.
>Search the cisco web site for the words
>
>"model-no" password recovery
>
>This should turn up the correct document.

Bob Vaughan  | techie @ tantivy.net 		  |
	     | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
0
techie