Resetting a Switch to Factory Settings

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.

Is there an easy way of doing this?

0
Reply K 11/6/2008 9:12:21 AM

See related articles to this posting

K schrieb:
> I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
> set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
>
> Is there an easy way of doing this?

Yes.

Depends ... if you have the passwords for the switches you may use write
erase and reload

If not you will have to reset the switch at boot-time.

Search the cisco web site and you will find some tons of docs about that.

Klaus

--
Klaus Zerwes
http://www.zero-sys.net

On 6 Nov, 09:12, "K" <n...@spam.net> wrote:
> I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
> set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
>
> Is there an easy way of doing this?

In all cases you need a console cable.

If they are 2950 or (2960 - these are the current model.)
Not -XL at the end.

You need to -
connect up console
log in if necessary
go to enable mode with the "enable" commmand
"write erase" - this is the old command and there is a
                     more descripitvely named one as well.
                     but I dont know what it is.
"reload"  - or just switch off

Was there a 2900XL series? If it is one of these then the above
may work or it may be different. I forget.

If there are passwords and you dont know them
you will have to do password recovery first.
Search the cisco web site for the words

"model-no" password recovery

This should turn up the correct document.

0
Reply bod43 11/7/2008 12:36:49 AM

In article <73b1281d-6f40-40e2-af4e-f6643b5d81be@o4g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
bod43  <Bod43@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>On 6 Nov, 09:12, "K" <n...@spam.net> wrote:
>> I have a couple of 2900 series switches which we have inherited and need to
>> set them back to factory settings so I can start from clean with them.
>>
>> Is there an easy way of doing this?
>
>In all cases you need a console cable.
>
>If they are 2950 or (2960 - these are the current model.)
>Not -XL at the end.
>
>You need to -
>connect up console
>log in if necessary
>go to enable mode with the "enable" commmand
>"write erase" - this is the old command and there is a
>                     more descripitvely named one as well.
>                     but I dont know what it is.

erase startup-config

also, delete flash:/vlan.dat to clear the vlan database.

This should work with most, if not all, of the IOS based switches.

>"reload"  - or just switch off
>
>Was there a 2900XL series? If it is one of these then the above
>may work or it may be different. I forget.

yes. the same procedure should work.

>If there are passwords and you dont know them
>you will have to do password recovery first.
>Search the cisco web site for the words
>
>"model-no" password recovery
>
>This should turn up the correct document.

Bob Vaughan  | techie @ tantivy.net 		  |
	     | P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
0
Reply techie 11/9/2008 2:42:07 AM
comp.dcom.sys.cisco 25196 articles. 25 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How to reset sunfire v100 to factory settings?
I got a sun fire v100 server on ebay. I am able to connect through hyperterminal. I am unable to get the LOM prompt "ok" as the machine tries to boot through net and I am getting the following message continously AutoNegotiation Timeout. Check Cable or Contact your System Administrator. Link Down. Network Link Setup Failed. Please Check Cable and Try Again. ARP/RARP send failed. Check Ethernet cable and transceiver. Using Onboard Transceiver - Timeout waiting for AutoNegotiation Status to be upd ated. Timeout reading Link status. Check cable and try again. Timeout waiting for AutoN...

catalyst 3500 reset to factory settings
Hi everyone I`m new here and i`ve got a problem. Does anybody know how to reset a catalyst 3500 to factory-settings? I`ve tried to "erase startup-config" but it`s not reseted to factory-settings. Best regards Ernst did you reboot it after you did this? On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:27:26 -0800, ernst wrote: > Hi everyone > > I`m new here and i`ve got a problem. > Does anybody know how to reset a catalyst 3500 to factory-settings? > > I`ve tried to "erase startup-config" but it`s not reseted to factory-settings. > > Best regards > Ernst Hi Erns...

HP 3600n resetting to factory settings?
I have managed to select chinese language during initial setup of Color Laser Jet 3600n. Now, after power up, I am presented with chracters I can not understand at all. I can print and access printer by network, but this can change just JetAdmin (Print Server) language. I would like to change panel manus to english or something more readable. I suppose there should be some kind of cold reset, or reset to factory settings, but there is no such information in manuals, and even HP chat service has not helped me. Is there hope, or should I try to find some chinese fellows with tehnical k...

Reset restore Mathematica factory defaults settings
Reply to Nov 7 2000 comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica post by Will Self Will, There is a quick and easy way to reset one's copy of Mathematica to the "factory settings". Close out of Mathematica. Then, hold down the "Ctrl" and "Shift" keys at the same time. Continue holding them for five seconds as you double click the Mathematica icon and start up the application. Mathematica will then display "Starting with Clean Preferences". Regards, Diana Mecum search keywords: reset restore Mathematica factory defaults settings -- "G...

How can I reset a single switch Interface to factory default?
Dear Concerned, How can I reset a single switch or router Interface to factory defalt?? Suppose need to reset only port number Fast Ethernet 0/25 out of 48th port of Catalyst 3550 switch. But not the whole switch. Can any one tell me the answer?? mof44 E-mail: ofahim@gmail.com ofahim@gmail.com schrieb: > Dear Concerned, > > How can I reset a single switch or router Interface to factory defalt?? > > Suppose need to reset only port number Fast Ethernet 0/25 out of 48th > port of Catalyst 3550 switch. But not the whole switch. > > Can any one tell me the answer?? ...

Brother MFC-3280CN -How to reset to factory settings? Password for telnet?
I have a Brother MFC-3280CN and want to be able to reset the entire machine to factory settings? I have looked in the manual and don't see this information. Does anyone have a way to do this? Also, I notice once this machine is on the network, it can be telnet'ed too. But it asks for a password, and I also don't see any place in the manual of what it could be or how its set. I wanted to telnet into it in the hopes that there would be an option to reset to factory settings. Thanks! ...

Reset Switch GND, RESET#, brown, white
Hello, ASRock's motherboard 939A790GMH mentions the following in the quick installation guide/manual: Page 23: System Panel Header: O O O O O O O O O - dummy | | GND RESET# Antec 1200's reset switch connector has a brown and a white cable. I have some question about this: 1. What is "RESET#" ? (I can understand "ground" but "RESET#" ???) 2. How does a reset switch work ? Does it "cut power" ? Does it make all the electricity flow away via ground or something ? 3. How to connect the reset switch ? Should the brown wire go to GND or...

Reset settings?
I have once heard of a way to reset PSP (version 8) without reinstalling. It was a hint with pressing something special when starting the program... Can anybody help me? Regards Anette Linnea wrote: > I have once heard of a way to reset PSP (version 8) without reinstalling. It > was a hint with pressing something special when starting the program... > > Can anybody help me? > > Regards > Anette > > Repair Paint Shop Pro Go into add/remove programs in control panel and click on change/remove and when the option comes up choose repair. Maureen "Li...

Factory Reset
Hi again, is there anyway to factory reset a the Concentrator 3000 family to remove 'all' user files, i.e. logos etc Thanks again There is a small reset pin hole in the front or the back panel I am not sure you have to check. As soon as you press that pin hole it will restore the 3000 to factory default. ...

CISCO 7XX / 761 password reset or reset to factory defaults
Hi! How can I bring my old router to the default values using the serial cable? Some weeks ago I read something about reflashing the firmware, but I haven't got any. Is that the only solution? Philipp Philipp Flesch schrieb: > Hi! > How can I bring my old router to the default values using the serial cable? > > Some weeks ago I read something about reflashing the firmware, but I > haven't got any. Is that the only solution? I have found http://cio.cisco.com/warp/public/458/44.html - but where to buy the IOS for the 761? Hi Philipp, For Cisco Software Relicens...

Set / Reset
What does Labview use for the Set / Reset (Latch / Unlatch) function? I want the first occurance of a signal to lock on a light until it is reset. Thanks, Doug Hi &nbsp; If you want to do this on button you could you Mechanical Action defined with button, but if you want to use it to signal in function as you mention you could use signal forwarded by Shift Register to next loop. In this solution you have always your signal and you could change it&nbsp; and you always have it last and actual value. &nbsp; If you could be more specific with taht what you want to do or if you cou...

Palm does soft reset, but "sounds" settings reset -- why?
I recently downloaded the "Doing" time-management application to try on my Tungsten 2. Unfortunately, it seems to be rather buggy, because when I tapped on one of the buttons, it immediately went to a "hard reset" screen, asking if I wanted to delete all my data (ie. pressing 'up' to agree, I believe). Well, I selected a different button, and the Palm reset, and everything seemed to be as it was before, *except* the preferences for "Sounds" was reset to default values. Anyone know why this might happen? I thought that a soft reset, which hap...

Reset settings?
I have once heard of a way to reset PSP (version 8) without reinstalling. It was a hint with pressing something special when starting the program... Can anybody help me? Regards Anette Linnea wrote: > I have once heard of a way to reset PSP (version 8) without reinstalling. It > was a hint with pressing something special when starting the program... > > Can anybody help me? > > Regards > Anette > > Repair Paint Shop Pro Go into add/remove programs in control panel and click on change/remove and when the option comes up choose repair. Maureen "Li...

Switch between ARM instruction set <-> Thumb instruction set
Hello, can someone explain me how to switch between ARM instruction set and Thumb insturction set. Can i do this on the fly, e.g. subroutine in thumb else in ARM ? Or is there a external pin used for this ? Or is there a processor version for each mode ? Greetings, Martin "Martin Maurer" <capiman@clibb.de> wrote in news:bj83uc$asn$05$1@news.t-online.com: > can someone explain me how to switch between ARM instruction set > and Thumb insturction set. Can i do this on the fly, e.g. subroutine in > thumb > else in ARM ? Or is there a external pin used ...

677 factory settings
Hi, I acquired a Cisco 677 used gear. I cannot address the admin por over serial interface, seems te por is broken. Wuestiona are: 1= how can I phisically resey to factory settings? 2- wgat is the default addres for the web admin, if not 10.0.0l.1, how can I determine the current LAN IP the router has on? 3- is rhere any diagnose or problem fixing tool? Vest regards. If you have not already done so, download the 600 series mdocumentation from CCO: http://cco.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps296/c2001/ccmigration_09186a008007ddab.pdf Also down download the Cisco FAQ: http:/...

Set / Reset Function
What does Labview use for the Set / Reset (Latch / Unlatch) function?&nbsp; I want to lock on a light on the first occurance of a pulse, then reset the light from another pulse.&nbsp; This would prevent the light from flickering as the following pulses come and go. Thanks, RDD &nbsp; ...

resetting monitoring switches
When I reset a monitoring switch using a command such as follows: reset monitor all I note that the monitoring switch, which can be accessed as follows, works as expected (values are reset to 0): get snapshot for db on sample However, when I query the Snapshot tables using for instance: select * from TABLE(SNAPSHOT_BP('SAMPLE',-1)) AS SBP there is no reset. why is this? how can I reset the values in the SNAPSHOT functions? Thanks for your reply, Issam ...

Netapp factory settings
For the life of me, I can't remember what the command is to revert a netapp filer to factory settings. I think it's a diag level (priv set diag) command. Anyone here know? TIA, --paul > For the life of me, I can't remember what the command is to revert a netapp > filer to factory settings. I think it's a diag level (priv set diag) > command. found it: priv set advanced halt -c factory On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:00:02 -0500, "Paul" <pgaljan@yahoo.nothits.com> wrote: >> For the life of me, I can't remember what the...

Reset Settings\Configuration
I would like to restore Matlab to its initial settings\configuration exactly as its first execution. Can I avoid uninstalling and then reinstalling it? ...

Reset default figure settings
Hi, I don't remember how I did it, but suddenly all my plots have a black background and white axes. Does anyone know how to restore the default settings? Thanks in advance Felix Felix wrote: > Hi, > I don't remember how I did it, but suddenly all > my plots have a black background and white axes. > Does anyone know how to restore the default settings? It sounds like you used WHITEBG accidentally. Part of the help is: WHITEBG(FIG) complements the colors of the objects in the specified figures. This syntax is typically used to toggle between black and ...

Prograppler dip switch settings
I am in need of the dip switch settings for a Orange Micro Prograppler card. Any help would be appreciated. Dan wrote: > I am in need of the dip switch settings for a Orange Micro Prograppler > card. Any help would be appreciated. You can download a PDF of the manual at http://www3.telus.net/waynes/prograppler.pdf Wayne ...

cisco340 reset to factory defaults
I have a cisco 340 access point that will not respond to the reset button on the back. Do these buttons actually work or are they just a leftover from an earlier chassis? Is there some special way to reset using this button? My 340AP is in a right mess and I need to reset it. When I start the CLI in hyperterminal I get: System ID: 004096329D29 Motherboard: MPC860 50MHz, 2048KB FLASH, 16384KB DRAM, Revision 21 Bootstrap Ver. 1.01: FLASH, CRC AB31F5C0 (OK) Initialization: Improper Motherboard Config so I click l for l -- downLoad file into DRAM and then I get l Using Xmodem (type <ctrl-X&g...

Factory Reset a Cisco Cius
Factory Reset a Cisco Cius http://pandaeatsbamboo.blogspot.com/2011/06/factory-reset-cisco-cius.html ...

Setting the RESET vector on a 68HC11A0
Hello all, I am trying to "reverse engineer" some older 68HC11 based equipment. I got a hold of some nice circuit boards with general purpose I/O and since I liked working with 68HC11's some 10 years back I got nostalgic. Only thing is that these are 68HC11A0FN's and therefore without any programmable onboard ROM and there are a couple of things I am trying to figure out since I never dealt with those before. The board's that I have are using 27C256 EEPROM and a very small serial EPROM that I don't remember the type of (until I get back home from work) I want to re...