http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html

0
Dave
12/16/2007 1:09:50 AM
comp.dcom.telecom 29624 articles. 1 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow

Dave Garland wrote:
> an archive of recorded messages:
> http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html

heh heh, those have some humor potential!

0
Rick
12/17/2007 2:56:09 PM
Rick Merrill wrote:
>Dave Garland wrote:
>>an archive of recorded messages:
>>http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html
>>
>heh heh, those have some humor potential!

Friend of mine had a very realistic sounding ring tone with perfect SIT
(tone) sequence and "We're sorry due to call overload, our system is
f****d up and your call cannot be processed."

***** Moderator's Note *****

If I had to explain to a child what "f****d up" meant, I'd say "fouled
up".

The original lettering was different, and left less room for
interpretation. Those contributing to the Digest are respectfully
asked to consider that Usenet crosses not only national, but also age
and gender boundaries.

Thank you.

Bill Horne
Temporary Moderator

0
DTC

funny telecom cartoon (telecom) [telecom]
For a bit of telecom humor, see: http://www.gocomics.com/offthemark/2014/02/18 -- Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097 Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67 Canines: Val,Red,Shasta,Zero,Casey & Cinnar (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L Canines: Red & Max (Siberians) Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L ...

[telecom] Need some guidance on telecom easements [Telecom]
> ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > IANAL, and you need a good one, experienced in both easements and > tower leases. Don't go to the local guy: this is an area where new > precedents are being set almost daily, as cell towers and cellular > infrastructure pop up at every streetcorner. You need a firm that > does this all the time. > > You can start by getting some facts by yourself: > > 1. What frequencies will the transmitter(s) operator on? > 2. What company will hold the FCC license? > 3. What are the authorized emission types? > 4. Would the easement allow them to add more transmitters in the future? > 5. Does the easement allow them to heighten the pole or substitute a > tower? > 6. Does the easement allow them to erect new buildings? > > The specific answer are important, but the meta-message is critical: > if you get evasiveness and double-talk, techno-babble, or bureacratic > buck-passing, STOP the process and call in the cavalry. Tell your > attorney to put safeguards into the lease that prevent the > communications carrier from putting a wireless central office on top > of that pole. > > Most importantly, don't let them rush you: if ANYONE threatens to move > the equipment and get a lease elsewhere, tell them "Go ahead!". The > fact that your land was sought-after as a tower site means it's fit > for use as a cellular (or o...

Re: The Telecom Digest (1 messages) [TELECOM]
> Per T: >>> It's not going to happen. Most phone services allow call-block now. And >>> on my phone I use Blacklist for Android - MetroPCS wants to charge me a >>> buck a month for phone block. A $2 app does it forever and I don't need >>> to pay MetroPCS for the privilege. >> But don't Call-Block services depend on a blacklist? If so, who >> maintains the blacklist? >> >> What data does the Android app work from? Does it just block >> anything where the calling number is not in your phonebook? > No, you can tell the Blacklist application what numbers to block. I > quite like it as when you want to add it'll go into the phone call log > and let you choose a number. > There is a similar program for Blackberry, I use iBlocker Pro on mine. It will reject calls (either dump straight to voicemail or auto-answer and hang up on the call) and reply to texts from blocked numbers too with your own "custom" message. ...

Re: The Telecom Digest (16 messages) [telecom]
Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:23:21 -0400 Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> noted the article: <<Smartphones encourage mobile user churn Owners of high end handsets are the least loyal, bad news for AT&T CAROLINE GABRIEL Published: 22 September, 2010 High end smartphones not only bring operators' networks crashing down with their high rates of data consumption, but they breed fickle consumers who will worsen churn levels, especially as users get more hostile to two-year contract lock-ins. The downside of the smartphone boom is highlighted in a survey by Nokia Siemens, which found that users of high end handsets are the least likely to stay with their carrier.>> Further on into the article it states: <<Before smartphones, the main driver of customer loyalty was network coverage and signal strength. Now the device is the main factor for customers choosing a carrier, and applications and services play a major role in keeping them loyal, both to the device and the network.>> In my opinion anyone who switches their carrier simply for a device no matter how "wow" the device is a little not too smart. Many people have stated many times that AT&T's network is inferior to Verizon's but I know plenty of people who now have regular non jailbroken iPhones who I assume are on the AT&T network and have abandoned their previous network. If you have a device that can't perform because the netwo...

[telecom] Harassed by robocalls [Telecom]
On Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:20 PM "Steven Lichter" <diespammers@ikillspammers.com> wrote: [ snip ] > the Golf Course in Lon Beach. What was happening was when the hunt > group was busy the next call would go to another hunt group, which had > out number on it; I would tell them they reached the wrong number, most > were understanding and would try again. I passed the problem to our > customer service office and they contacted the golf course and told > them that they needed to add more numbers to their hunt group because > they were getting more calls they it could handle. For a reason I > never understood they would not upgrade. Because it would cost more money. > ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > Steven, I'm confused: why didn't someone just break the hunt so the > calls didn't go to your number? Couldn't SxS do that? > > Bill Horne > Temporary Moderator Stories like this made me understand why people hated the telco. As mentioned in other posts, it would be a bit of work for someone at the telco to make the service operate like it was supposed to. I worked for a telco for 32 years. Wes Leatherock wleathus@yahoo.com wesrock@aol.com Wes Leatherock wrote: [Moderator snip] > Stories like this made me understand why people hated the telco. > As mentioned in other posts, it would be a bit of work for someone at...

[Telecom] Series on Telecom security
Bruce Schneier, who coined the term "Security Theater" and is the author of "Applied Cryptography", publishes a newletter called CRYPTO-GRAM, which I recommend to those who are interested in both cryptography and security issues. The January 15, 2010, issue includes these links: 'A very good four-part series: "Risk and Security in the Telecommunications Industry." ' http://tinyurl.com/yl6pg92 http://tinyurl.com/ykus3fh http://tinyurl.com/ye7qzhv http://tinyurl.com/ykmxam7 The series discusses the issues of survivability and resilience tha...

Verizon FIOS (telecom) [telecom]
This was originally posted to comp.dcom.telecom.tech in error, it was intended for cdt, so reposting to proper place with some followup added. During the recent FIOS discussion, I had nothing to add, so I didn't. Its been fine since it was installed 2+ years ago. Just recently, I had some issues, and I wanted to pass along what I encountered for the benefit of the group. At first, both wired and wireless went dead. A power cycle fixed it, and the wired connections had no furthur problems. The wireless was not working. The first time or 2 the Verizon "In Home Agent" fixed it but then it became intermittant and Agent could do nothing. [I] found a bug in their online diagnostics and a related bug in Agent. The online diagnostic was reading my userid and passphrase, spelling it out phonetically. My passphrase is several words with spaces between the words, and the diagnostic ignored the spaces. Later, Agent asked me for the passphrase and wouldn't allow me to enter the spaces. Later, I called FIOS tech support and reported both bugs. I then described the problems and asked what would it take to get a new modem. He responded that he would send me one and it arrived the next day. Aparantly they have decided that the modem I have is obselete because they don't want it back. I will trash it after resetting it to clear the passphrase. It will be installed tomorrow and I will follow up if anything unusual happens. One o...

Need a telecom attorney [Telecom]
I'm looking for an attorney in the Philadelphia area who specializes in land easements. We have a telecom company looking to put some antenna's, and I guess transmitters on our property and want someone to review the agreements. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Michael Muderick ***** Moderator's Note ***** Michael, you're a very wise man. IANAL, and I'm sure the readers will offer suggestions, but let me add these suggestions to get you started: * How many antennas? How man transmitters? (It's NOT a one-to-one relationship!) * For _their_ radios only, or for everyone's radios? Be _very_ careful here: there are a lot of FCC and other rules that override contracts, and you have _got_ to get a lawyer who knows about them. The contract might say it's only for "Company A", but then you might see antennas go up for companies B, C, and D, and Company A will just shrug their shoulders and say "The FCC made us do it". If your contract doesn't cover this, you may find out that, for practical purposes, you've sold your land to company A's tower leasing subsidiary. * Will there be other services on the pole? Don't take any carp about this: you're entitled to be paid for _every_ transmitter and _every_ antenna, no matter how blandly the tellco asures you it's "just for control" or "that's only a spare". * Taxes? Who pays whe...

Cut Your Telecom Bills [telecom]
There is a good article called "Cut your telecom bills" in the May, 2011 issue of Consumer Reports magazine. There are several parts of it that caught my eye right away: a section titled "Some fiber really isn't", covering some of the physical-layer issues we've been discussing here, and a section on the "Ooma" VoIP service, plus a section on "The benefits of bundling and bargaining". I'm curious what the Digest's readers think about the article. Bill -- Bill Horne (Filter QRM for direct replies) Bill Horne wrote: > There is a good article called "Cut your telecom bills" in the May, > 2011 issue of Consumer Reports magazine. > > There are several parts of it that caught my eye right away: a section > titled "Some fiber really isn't", covering some of the physical-layer > issues we've been discussing here, and a section on the "Ooma" VoIP > service, plus a section on "The benefits of bundling and bargaining". > > I'm curious what the Digest's readers think about the article. > > Bill > The glaring omission for me was their failure to mention how robust and reliable E911 is with a wireline carrier, and how 911 wireless or 911 Voip can be problematic at a residence. ...

Telecom News in TELECOM Digest
No offense, but I read other sources of news, and I see the stuff below in several places where it's accurately sorted by topic. I read Telecom Digest to get *telecom* related information, not the latest Dish TV "special" or what Amazon is doing this week. Just a simple comment. -W > Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:10:52 -0500 > From: Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> > Subject: DISH Network $999 HDTV Promo > http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/system/ [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And no offense taken. Monty Solomon is a sort of e...

Telecom in High Art [telecom]
I'm just listening to a classical radio program - this one featuring the modern and rather hard-to-take composer Elliott Carter. He set three of Robert Frost's poems to music, one of them being "The Line Gang" Here come the line-gang pioneering by. They throw a forest down less cut than broken. They plant dead trees for living, and the dead They string together with a living thread. They string an instrument against the sky Wherein words whether beaten out or spoken Will run as hushed as when they were a thought But in no hush they string it: they go past With ...

Telecom
We Pay You Cash For Your Telecom Equipment Located in Deerfield Beach, Telenet Systems pays top dollar for all types o= f used telephone systems, parts, pieces and data network gear nationwide. T= oday's new business telephone systems are designed to improve communication= , reduce your communication cost and, most importantly, increase productivi= ty. If you're considering upgrading the phone systems in your office, consider = selling them first to Telenet Systems. The company refurbishes and sells a = variety of phone equipment including telephone systems, transmission, swi...

Digital bonanza for telecoms historians [telecom]
http://www.itwire.com/it-industry-news/development/52118-digital-bonanza-for-telecoms-historians Digital bonanza for telecoms historians Stuart Corner Thursday, 12 January 2012 12:06 IT Industry - Development The UK's National Archive is to digitise 165 years worth of British Telecom's and its predecessors' historical documents. The project is a collaboration between Coventry University, BT Heritage and The National Archive and aims to catalogue, digitise and develop a searchable online archive of almost half a million photographs, images, documents and correspondence. It is being funded with a grant from JISC (formerly the UK's Joint Information Systems Committee). According to JISC: "The BT Archive is held, with some limited public access, in central London and is by any standard a collection of national and international importance, recognised by UNESCO�?� "The digitisation of a significant proportion of the Archive will allow teachers, students, researchers and the general public in the UK and overseas to gain easier access to our scientific and cultural telecommunications heritage; enabling them to utilise the archive for studies and leisure from anywhere in the world. Digitisation of the Archives will also ensure the continued preservation of the collections in digital as well as analogue format." The project includes research work around product and graphic design, language development and problem-b...

Vodavi DHS-E TELECOM [telecom]
Hello all, Anyone in here have any familiarity with the Vodavi DHS-E phone system? I am having an issue that I can't seem to resolve. The system originally had a Dispatch Voice Mail unit installed which took a trip south. There a number of extensions that have the Message Waiting Light flashing. With out the Dispatch I can't figure out how to turn off the MWL and return the stations to normal. Looking for a hint on how that can be done without the use of a bigger hammer. TIA. Les ...

Re: [telecom] GSM-only interference [Telecom]
In a message dated 8/7/2009 2:13:36 PM Central Daylight Time, thad@thadlabs.com writes: > But the finger is pointing at GSM as the culprit. Though I realize > the GSM interference isn't a life-threatening situation (hmmm, what > about being in a hospital?), I thought consumer appliances are not > supposed to be causing such interference. I was in the hospital a few months ago and using my AT&T phone. So were many of my visitors. Others I have no idea what carrier/system they were using but I know some of them were ATM. Nurses and others called and answered calls all over the place. Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222846709x1201493018/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd =JulystepsfooterNO115) On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 20:46:10 -0400 (EDT), Wesrock@aol.com wrote: >In a message dated 8/7/2009 2:13:36 PM Central Daylight Time, >thad@thadlabs.com writes: > >> But the finger is pointing at GSM as the culprit. Though I realize >> the GSM interference isn't a life-threatening situation (hmmm, what >> about being in a hospital?), I thought consumer appliances are not >> supposed to be causing such interference. > >I was in the hospital a few months ago and using my AT&...

Re: [telecom] Cellphones and driving [Telecom]
In a message dated 7/3/2009 9:15:12 AM Central Daylight Time, sam@coldmail.com writes: > I think a first-rate hands free system, although of some > distraction, is far, far less hazardous than holding a phone to > one's Repeated studies have shown their is no difference in the distraction caused by cellphone to your ear or hands-free. It's apparently the conversation, not the holding of the phone to your ear. Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com Wesrock@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 7/3/2009 9:15:12 AM Central Daylight Time, > sam@coldmail.com writes: > > >>I think a first-rate hands free system, although of some >>distraction, is far, far less hazardous than holding a phone to >>one's > > > Repeated studies have shown their is no difference in the > distraction caused by cellphone to your ear or hands-free. It's > apparently the conversation, not the holding of the phone to your ear. > > > Wes Leatherock > wesrock@aol.com > wleathus@yahoo.com > Sometimes studies aren't all they claim to be. The California legislature certainly perceived a difference. Wesrock@aol.com wrote: > Repeated studies have shown their is no difference in the > distraction caused by cellphone to your ear or hands-free. It's > apparently the conversation, not the holding of the phone to your > ear....

Telecom Digest Info file [telecom]
This is the "Info" document for The Telecom Digest. It is sent automatically to new subscribers, and posted occasionally in the Digest. The Telecom Digest is an electronic magazine, or e-zine, devoted mostly to telecommunications, and mostly to the Companies, technology, regulations, politics, and people that affect, create, maintain, and govern the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) of the world. This is, as the above paragraph no doubt implies, much easier to _do_ than to _explain_. We cover any subject that's related to the telephone network, including Voice-Over-Internet-Protocol (VoIP), Cellular telephones, Air-to-ground telephone service, ship-to-shore telephone connections, and even an occasional story about the old manual world or the earlier generations of electro-mechanical Central Office telephone switches. The Telecom Digest isn't just about technology: it's about the way that telephones shape our lives, and the ways that governments and corporations and individuals shape the telephones and the networks that make them work. No matter what area of telecommunications you are interested in, the odds are that you can contribute knowledge and opinions about the PSTN to The Telecom Digest. There are very few areas of life that aren't affected by phones, and we welcome everyone who is willing to help and to abide by the rules. The Telecom Digest moderator is Bill Horne, and he lives in the United States....

Telecom Digest Reader Survey [telecom]
An invitation, from the Moderator: > In an effort to improve both the quality of The Telecom Digest and the > skill of its moderator, you are invited to take part in a survey. The > survey results will be used to help guide the Moderator's choices when > he decides what posts are appropriate, and to give him a better idea of > the interests, likes, dislikes, and tastes of the Digest audience. > > The introduction to the survey is somewhat lengthy, but please bear with > it -- you are entitled to know how your responses will be handled, and > that the confidentiality of your identity will be respected. Please keep > these points in mind when filling out the survey, and let me thank you in > advance for your time. > > > Bill Horne > Telecom Digest Moderator > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The Telecom Digest Reader Survey January 2012 INTRODUCTION ------------ 1. If you choose to respond to this survey, you need only reply to this message: The Reply-To address ("survey@survey.dyndns-mail.org") goes to a neutral third party who will analyze the results, summarize comments, and report back to the Moderator after removing all traces of identifying information from your answers. 2. If you want an acknowledgment of receipt, add the tag [AUTOACK]...

The perfect Telecom conversation piece [telecom]
Here's a perfect conversation piece for those awkward social situations when someone asks what you did for a living in the dark ages before computers: http://tinyurl.com/ygltn8r . If you wind up buying it, feel free to invite me over to hook it up. ;-) Of course, if you _do_ want to hook something up to a computer for demonstrations, something more "modern" may be in order, so here's some info on other equipment that is available for pickup in New Jersey. (This is from the "Greenkeys" mailing list). The seller's email is joewvu@remove-this.verizon.net There are some pictures here: http://35asr.com/telex_1.jpg http://35asr.com/telex_2.jpg http://35asr.com/telex_4.jpg Bill -- E. William Horne William Warren Consulting Computer & Network Installations, Security, and Service http://william-warren.com 781-784-7287 (Filter QRM for direct replies) >Here's a perfect conversation piece for those awkward social >situations when someone asks what you did for a living in the dark >ages before computers $1200.00 !!!!! ????? You gotta be $#!+ting me !! ;-( We used those in the USCG, ca. early 1970s and they were considered old back then !! That's an old Baudot model with a 103 modem. In the mid 1980s, the going street price for those was the labor necessary to haul it away. ***** Moderator's Note ***** Everything old is new: having come of age in the 60's and ha...

Telecom Digest archives questions [TELECOM]
All, I had a discussion tonight with Bill about our archives. As most of you are aware we have long maintained our own set of archives here: http://massis.lcs.mit.edu/telecom-archives/. This forum started in 1981 when Sergey and Larry were doing whatever 8 year-olds did in 1981 and Google Groups did not exist. If we wanted an archive we had to do it ourselves. I can't speak for everyone, but going back and reading the old archives has been like a trip down memory lane. I remember when we had The Phone Company and would wait until 11 PM to call our grandparents to save on toll charges. Comparing 1981 to 2009 is really stunning. A couple of years ago I made the archives available in mbox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox) because I wanted them in that format to facilitate my walk down memory lane. Since I had already done the work, sharing it was the obvious next step. Since that time Pat fell ill and since the exercise to put the digest in mbox was more of a rearview mirror and I didn't do it going forward. Here are our two questions: 1. Should we continue to maintain our own archives or should we point people to http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dcom.telecom ? 2. Is there any interest in making the current and future archives available in mbox? I am going to defer question #1 to Bill. I have no strong opinions either way. On #2, as I told Bill, if even one person wants the archives available in the highly portable mbox ...

Telecom Digest F.A.Q. [telecom]
This is the list of frequently-asked questions for The Telecom Digest, and it is sent to new subscribers automatically. It is also posted in the Digest whenever the contents change, and once per quarter even if the contents have not changed. Q. What is The Telecom Digest? A. The Telecom Digest is the oldest continuously published mailing list on the Internet. It was started before Usenet existed, but is now available via the Usenet group comp.dcom.telecom. Q. Who's in charge? A. The current Moderator is Bill Horne, and you may reach him by sending email to telecomdigestmoderator.atsign.telecom-digest.org. (The part that says ".atsign." will, of course, be replaced by the "@" symbol in all examples shown in this f.a.q.) Q. How do I subscribe? A. If you want to receive The Telecom Digest via email, send a "plain text" email message to majordomo.atsign.telecom-digest.org, with the command "subscribe telecom" in the BODY of the message. (The subject line will be ignored.) You may choose to receive posts in a daily digest, with all the posts for the day included in a single email, or you may choose to have each post sent to your email address as soon as it is approved: digest mode is the default, but if you prefer individual email, use the command "subscribe-set telecom each" instead. If you want to subscribe an address OTHER THAN the one you are ...

telna / 3U Telecom outage [Telecom]
The following is a email I just received from 3U Telecom, now "telna", concerning a power outage in their long distance service over the preceding day or so (which meant we could send and receive local calls, but long distance calling just seemed to go nowhere). I'm posting it here because of its potential technical interest, but also because its prompt, helpful and informative content seems to be in sharp contrast to the communications difficulties in dealing with other telecom companies that are often reported in this group. --------------------------------- Dear customers: Please accept our apologies for the outage we experienced on our network that lasted most of yesterday, Sunday March 30th. A power surge caused an equipment to fail at our New York POP, which houses most of the infrastructure used to provide our retail services in USA, and spare equipments also failed. We immediately ordered replacement parts to be delivered via air, but due to bad weather conditions in New York, this shipment was delayed. Service could only be restored late Sunday evening. All services are functioning normally at this time We want to assure you that this type of prolonged outage on our network remains exceptional in the history of our company, and that all measures are being taken to prevent this chain of events from occurring again. Also, the outage was in no way related to the unfortunate timing of launch of our new websit...

Re: [telecom] When Texting Is Wrong [Telecom]
In a message dated 7/18/2009 9:44:10 AM Central Daylight Time, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com writes: > My feeling is that automation must make things better for the customer > than they were before. The usual result nowadays is that it is done to make things better for the company, not the customer. -- Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com ...

Nice interface to Telecom-Digest [Telecom]
I spent quite a bit of time digging around for the instructions to change my email address on this list. Yesterday, I found: http://lists.services.net/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr/domain=telecom-digest.org For whatever reason, this site made more sense to me than what I found on http://telecom-digest.org Hope this helps someone.... ...

Web resources about - [telecom]recorded telecom messages - comp.dcom.telecom