[telecom] 'Turn Off All Electronic Devices:' And What Happens if You Don't

'Turn Off All Electronic Devices:' And What Happens if You Don't

By Scott McCartney
March 7, 2012

It happens on just about every flight now, say flight attendants. The
plane's door closes and it's time to turn off personal electronic
devices.

And there's always at least one person who keeps talking, texting,
tweeting, playing, watching or emailing-and ignoring stern orders to
power down.

On rare occasions, a confrontation erupts, such as actor Alec
Baldwin's widely reported removal from an American Airlines plane in
December. Although airlines say they don't keep track or won't
disclose how many passengers get bounced off planes for refusing to
switch off devices, flight attendants say it's now the No. 1 spark
for unruly behavior.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204781804577267304080904804.html

(The Wall Street Journal site requires subscription in order to read full articles - mod)

0
Monty
3/23/2012 5:00:13 AM
comp.dcom.telecom 29623 articles. 2 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow

'^=' and '~='?

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

Don't Just Dream About an Exciting New Career in booming telecom industry...Make it Happen with India's Top Telecom Management program at Aegis School of Telecommunication and Business, Mumbai
Dear Candidate "Future Belongs to Telecom Managers" Don't Just Dream About an Exciting New Career in booming telecom industry...Make it Happen with India's Top Telecom Management program at Aegis School of Telecommunication and Business, Mumbai. Aegis offers one year Masters in Telecommunication Management Program (MPTM) commonly known as MBA Telecom or MS in Telecom Management. MPTM was started in 2002 with Bharti's (Airtel), India's largest telecom operator, support. This program was designed to develop future telecom leaders/ managers who understand the techno c...

Don't Just Dream About an Exciting New Career in booming telecom industry...Make it Happen with India's Top Telecom Management program at Aegis School of Telecommunication and Business, Mumbai.
Hi "Future Belongs to Telecom Managers" Don't Just Dream About an Exciting New Career in booming telecom industry...Make it Happen with India's Top Telecom Management program at Aegis School of Telecommunication and Business, Mumbai. Aegis offers one year Masters in Telecommunication Management Program (MPTM) commonly known as MBA Telecom or MS in Telecom Management. MPTM was started in 2002 with Bharti's (Airtel), India's largest telecom operator, support. This program was designed to develop future telecom leaders/ managers who understand the techno c...

[...]

Hi "Future Belongs to Telecom Managers" Don't Just Dream About an Exciting New Career in booming telecom industry...Make it Happen with India's Top Telecom Management program at Aegis School of Telecommunication and Business, Mumbai. Aegis offers one year Masters in Telecommunication Management Program (MPTM) commonly known as MBA Telecom or MS in Telecom Management. MPTM was started in 2002 with Bharti's (Airtel), India's largest telecom operator, support. This program was designed to develop future telecom leaders/ managers who understand the techno commercial as...

[...]

Don't Just Dream About an Exciting New Career in booming telecom industry...Make it Happen with India's Top Telecom Management program at Aegis School of Telecommunication and Business, Mumbai #2
Dear Candidate "Future Belongs to Telecom Managers" Don't Just Dream About an Exciting New Career in booming telecom industry...Make it Happen with India's Top Telecom Management program at Aegis School of Telecommunication and Business, Mumbai. Aegis offers one year Masters in Telecommunication Management Program (MPTM) commonly known as MBA Telecom or MS in Telecom Management. MPTM was started in 2002 with Bharti's (Airtel), India's largest telecom operator, support. This program was designed to develop future telecom leaders/ managers who understand the techno c...

Don't understand: when('foo' and/or 'bar')
Would someone be so kind to explain the following (quotes are for win32 perl): perl -E" $u='foo'; given($u){ when('foo' and 'bar'){say 'f'} default{say 'd'} } " d perl -E" $u='bar'; given($u){ when('foo' and 'bar'){say 'f'} default{say 'd'} } " f perl -E" $u='baz'; given($u){ when('foo' and 'bar'){say 'f'} default{say 'd'} } " d perl -E" $u='foo'; given($u){ when('foo' or 'bar'){say 'f'} default{...

Why AT&T's new 'throttling' policy isn't as bad as last one [telecom]
CNET Why AT&T's new 'throttling' policy isn't as bad as last one by Marguerite Reardon |March 2, 2012 12:17 PM PST AT&T's throttling policy is definitely not consumer-friendly, but in this edition of Ask Maggie, I explain why it's better than the previous policy. AT&T has clarified its "throttling" policy for its unlimited data customers who the company says use too much bandwidth. But many users are still confused and angry. http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57389672-266/why-at-ts-new-throttling-policy-isnt-as-bad-as-last-one/ -or- http://goo.gl/e5bXE -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly) ...

How to turn off 'N', 'S', 'E', 'W'
in the map lat and lon labels? I'm doing a final figure and I really don't need an 'N' after every latitude label, jus the number would suffice. How do I turn of the letters followin the number? What function / toolbox are you refering to?!? Being a little more specific would sure help to get an answer ... Sebastian ...

Removing the letters 't' 'i' 'x' and 'y'
Im having trouble with figuring out how to write a function which will remove the letters 't' 'i' 'x' and 'y' from any input string in matlab. for example modstr(pixy) should result in ans = 'p' or modstr(picture) should result in ans = 'pcure' if anyone could offer any help or hints i would really appreciate it. Thank You >> modstr=@(s) s(~ismember(s,'tixy')) modstr = @(s)s(~ismember(s,'tixy')) >> modstr('picture') ans = pcure % Bruno ...

Don't Call Me, I Won't Call You [telecom]
Don't Call Me, I Won't Call You By PAMELA PAUL March 18, 2011 NOBODY calls me anymore - and that's just fine. With the exception of immediate family members, who mostly phone to discuss medical symptoms and arrange child care, and the Roundabout Theater fund-raising team, which takes a diabolical delight in phoning me every few weeks at precisely the moment I am tucking in my children, people just don't call. It's at the point where when the phone does ring - and it's not my mom, dad, husband or baby sitter - my first thought is: "What's...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal''''''''''''''
Hello fellow programmers, I am trying to run an append/update query from code, a command button on a form initiates the queries. the format i am using is; _____________________________________________________ SELECT "criteria" FROM "criteria" WHERE "criteria" UPDATE/APPEND "field selections" RecordSource "qryExample" = above text strings" _______________________________________________________________________ When i am running a SELECT query in this manner it works fine with no problems, and accepts the values of specified linked for...

AOL 9.0 don't do it just don't . Don't even think of it.
I had 8.0, and it ran fine. I downloaded 9.0 and that was the end of my computer never having a problem. 3 years and no problems. 1 week with AOL 9.0 and I've had 27 error messages , sign offs and other problems. AOL was no help. They can't even admit it has a problem. So I had to REFORMAT MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALL ALL MY PROGRAMS AND ALL MY SAVED FILES. Needless to say I no longer have AOL at all. Reformat and get rid of it. ...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wrong. HJ "Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message news:260d7f40.0408120245.2f3d01f8@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Thanks for ur help there HJ. > > I know how to do the tasks you specified there. > > I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the > fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, > DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the > values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; > > [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] > > a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. > > please help. > > Aaron First off, if you are not always using all the parameters specified in your form, then you have to add parameters to your query on the fly. Also, you can't just do something like qdf.SQL = "SE...

if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
Hi, there. =20 I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this line : if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.')=20 =20 Igor Kurbeko Clinical Programmer Analyst 678 336 4328 ikurbeko@atherogenics.com =20 no brain no pain =20 how about: if not (str_mo in ('','.') or str_da in ('','.') or str_yy in ('','.')) OR if not (missing(str_mo) or missing(str_da) or missing(str_yy)) Eric On 22 Oct 03 21:13:37 GMT, ikurbeko@ATHER...

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

A function with 'and' , 'not' , 'null' , 'car' and 'cdr'
What's this ? (defun enigma (x) (and (not (null x)) (or (null (car x)) (enigma (cdr x))))) "I suppose I should learn Lisp, but it seems so foreign." - Paul Graham, Nov 1983 On Wed, Oct 07 2015, CAI GENGYANG wrote: > What's this ? > > > (defun enigma (x) > (and (not (null x)) > (or (null (car x)) > (enigma (cdr x))))) Bad taste? It returns T if the list X contains nil as an element. It would be clearer to write (some #'null x). Helmut CAI GENGYANG ...

Re: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
OR you could use ARRAY data new; set old; array igor $ (*) str_mo str_da str_yr; do over igor; if igor ~in (' ','.') then do; end; run; Prasad Ravi Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENIC To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU S.COM> cc: Sent by: "SAS(r) Subject: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy ...

What is a difference in 'T t = u' and in 'T t( u )'
Hi, Does anyone can explain me why declarations marked as 1 compile whereas declarations marked as 2 do not compile? The most obvious example is the third one with shared_ptr. It is because of explicite constructor. Am I right? But what about first and second examples? Please notice also that examples second and third are completely different. Constructor calling syntax is right in third but not in second. However assign syntax is right in second example but not in third. #include <boost/assign/list_of.hpp> #include <boost/shared_ptr.hpp> #include <iostream> #include <...

Web resources about - [telecom] 'Turn Off All Electronic Devices:' And What Happens if You Don't - comp.dcom.telecom