Cable Finds Its Voice

David M. Ewalt, 01.06.05, Forbes.com

NEW YORK - The most eagerly watched thing in the cable industry these
days isn't a fledgling network or a cutting-edge drama -- it's plain
old-fashioned conversation.

Voice communications currently represent only a tiny part of the
massive amounts of data carried over the cable networks. But
voice-over-Internet Protocol services are starting to catch on as
consumers get used to the idea of making phone calls over the
Internet.  Cable operators are increasingly eyeing voice as a driver
of future growth and planning ways to expand their presence in both IP
and wireless voice.

"Voice-over-IP is a critical component for us," says Steve Gorman, Cox
Communications' (nyse: COX - news - people ) vice president of product
marketing and management for high-speed Internet. "We only have a
small percentage of customers on it now, but we're increasingly
looking at it." Since VoIP services run over the existing cable
networks and don't require much extra hardware to deploy, they
represent an attractively high-margin business for the cable carriers.

http://www.forbes.com/wireless/2005/01/06/cx_de_0106cable.html

Eric Friedebach
/An Apollo Sandwich from Corky & Lenny's/

0
Eric
1/6/2005 10:37:01 PM
comp.dcom.telecom 29624 articles. 1 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow

Re: Cable Finds Its Voice
We've had cable telephone companies in the UK for nearly 15 years now. They introduced cable phone services with cable TV and the amount of companies operating were prediminantly regional (i.e. Cable London, Birmingham Cable, Yorkshire Cable etc...) and initially provided a proper and decent alternative to BT, both in prices and in service; but over the years takeovers and bankruptcies have whittled the number down to just 2 -- ntl: and Telewest (known respectively as nt hell and Teleworst!). It's only the larger towns and cities here which have cable TV and phone, as the companies decided that they'd make more profit there than if they ventured into the smaller towns. Price-wise now both companies' prices for rental and call charges are either similar to, identical to or more expensive than BT's. Now that approximately 80% or there abouts of the UK is on broadband, however, a lot more people have access to an alternative, and cheaper telephone service than BT. Over the next few years or so it's predicted that calls made over VoIP will be more popular than calls made via the standard phone companies. ...

The iPhone Finds Its Voice [telecom]
The iPhone Finds Its Voice by Walt Mossberg October 11, 2011 Sometimes, as we all know, looks can be deceiving. While Apple's latest iPhone doesn't look different, and may not be the kind of blockbuster people expect from the late Steve Jobs's company, it thinks different, to quote one of Apple's old ad slogans. Inside its familiar-looking body there lurks a nascent artificial-intelligence system that has to be tried to be believed. Apple's fifth-generation iPhone, the $199 iPhone 4S, goes on sale Friday with a new operating system and a new cloud-synchronization service called iCloud. But, while its insides have been significantly improved, the phone's exterior design is identical to that of last year's iPhone 4, which Apple says is the best-selling smartphone in the world. I've been testing the 4S for about a week to see how it differs from the previous model. I also evaluated the key features added by the new operating system, called iOS 5, including a new, free text-messaging service; deep integration with Twitter; and the ability to edit photos right on the phone. This new software will be available as a free upgrade for owners of the iPhone 4 and the 2009-vintage iPhone 3GS, as well as for Apple's iPad tablet and its iPod Touch. .... http://allthingsd.com/20111011/the-iphone-finds-its-voice/ ***** Moderator's Note ***** I think the most trenchant remark in the article is t...

Verizon Dismisses Cable's WiFi Voice Agenda [telecom]
Verizon Dismisses Cable's WiFi Voice Agenda Is Cable Also Lukewarm about Near-term Wireless Opportunity? by Gary Arlen It was hardly surprising that a top Verizon executive brushed off cable operators' plans to develop urban WiFi networks for competitive local voice and data services. "The cable companies will probably execute on some type of an MVNO [mobile virtual network operator] for WiFi, but we don't believe that it's going to be a replacement for LTE," said Verizon Communications' CFO Fran Shammo at Monday's Deutsche Bank Media, In...

mc finds more than `find` finds?
I'm still searching for a way to know the pid of eg. the instance of `wily` which is has a certain file open. `pgrep wily` lists all the instances of 'wily' I was hoping that, I'd find which wily has opened file *CONTROL* by:- for PID in `pgrep wily`; do find /proc/$PID -exec grep -l "CONTROL" {} \; >> trace; done --- that's supposed to be ONE line --- Using successive refinement: first I used mc to browse /proc/24357 to find a suitable search target. Obviously "wily" would be there. Then I 'confirmed ?': find /proc/24...

Find::Find
I'm writing a script to process a directory tree of images.  In each directory, I need to process each image and generate an HTML file listing all of the images and links to the subdirectories. Just about every source I can find on the 'net for processing subdirectories points you at Find::Find.  However, I'm trying to do something like this: enter directory open INDEX, ".\index.html" print INDEX HTMLheader foreach file{         if(file is an image){  ...

iMPACT:923
I have just bought myself a Sparten 3 starter kit, I usually use a 2E kit in my lab and have never had any problems, however when trying to connect to the board using iMpact (part of ISE 8.2i) I get error 923, the console output is: Welcome to iMPACT // *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs // *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs GUI --- Auto connect to cable... // *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto AutoDetecting cable. Please wait. PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1). Checking cable driver. Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6... Installer exit code = 1. S...

find.find
import fnmatch, os def find(pattern, startdir=os.curdir): matches = [] os.path.walk(startdir, findvisitor, (matches, pattern)) matches.sort() return matches def findvisitor((matches, pattern), thisdir, nameshere): # for name in nameshere: if fnmatch.fnmatch(name, pattern): fullpath = os.path.join(thisdir, name) matches.append(fullpath) can someone explain why (matches, pattern) is doing in this two funct? thanks In <eo15uq$hna$1@ss408.t-com.hr>, Gigs_ wrote: > import fnmatch, os > > def find(pattern, startdir=os...

WARNING:iMPACT:923
Hi ! I'm a newbie in FPGA ( and i'm french,that's why my english is not goo ). I have the Digilent Spartan 3 Starter kit and Xilinx ISE Webpack 8.1i with Impact ) I have a problem : I can't download files on the chip because Impac doesn't recognize my cable. I am using the "Digilent JTAG3 low cos parallel to JTAG cable" which is included with the starter kit. When launch a Cable autodetect on Impact, I have this message : GUI --- Auto connect to cable... // *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto AutoDetecting cable. Please wait. PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1). Checking cable driver. Driver windrvr6.sys version = 7.0.0.0.Cable connection failed. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT2). Checking cable driver. Driver windrvr6.sys version = 7.0.0.0.Cable connection failed. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT3). Checking cable driver. Driver windrvr6.sys version = 7.0.0.0.Cable connection failed. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT4). Checking cable driver. Driver windrvr6.sys version = 7.0.0.0.Cable connection failed. Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21). Checking cable driver. Driver xusbdfwu.sys version: 1018 (1018). Driver windrvr6.sys version = 7.0.0.0.Cable connection failed. PROGRESS_END - End Operation. Elapsed time = 3 sec. Cable autodetection failed. Can any one help me please ? Thanks On Tue, 16 May 2006 08:13:16 -0500, "Scope" <romaingoron@hotma...

Early Voice Mail ("voice storage") systems [telecom]
The May 1982 issue of BSTJ has a seires of articles on voice storage. This technology led to voice mail services. As usual, Bell Labs extensively researched the architecture, physical design, software, office engineering, maintenance, and reliability, with articles describing in detail the findings. The preface says the FCC ordered Bell to cease work on this system as it violated regulatory policy--it was considered a premium add-on in violation of "Computer II". So even though in 1982 Bell's competitors were providing both transmission services and customer equipment, Bell was forbidden to offer its own premium services. How much of this research carried forward to voice mail systems I don't know. But I can't but suspect that subsequent private developers benefited from Bell's original research and trials. table of contents may be found at: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol61-1982/bstj-vol61-issue05.html On Thu, 26 May 2011 11:11:04 -0700 (PDT), Lisa or Jeff <hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com> wrote: >The May 1982 issue of BSTJ has a seires of articles on voice storage. >This technology led to voice mail services. > >As usual, Bell Labs extensively researched the architecture, physical >design, software, office engineering, maintenance, and reliability, >with articles describing in detail the findings. > >The preface says the FCC ordered Bell to cease work on this system as >it vi...

RE: Verizon's Latest Plan For Cable Fees Could Lower Your Cable Bill -- Eventually [telecom]
Bill Horne <bill@horneQRM.net wrote: > Verizon's Latest Plan For Cable Fees Could Lower Your Cable Bill -- Eventually > > By Alexis Kleinman > > What if, instead of paying for all of the hundreds of channels that > your cable provider offers when you sign up, you could choose exactly > which ones you want? That's definitely a dream of most cable > subscribers, riled by ever-high fees. And while Verizon isn't ready to > start offering a-la-carte channels, a new plan of theirs, reported in > The Wall Street Journal, could take us one step closer to making that > dream a reality. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/verizon-cable-fees_n_2901271.html Good luck with that. I worked in the retail end of CATV industry for 25 years and I've been writing about it for another dozen years since I retired. "The dream of most cable subscribers" is also the dream of many CATV retailers. Retailers are companies that sell video services to end consumers; e.g., franchised cable TV companies, non-franchised "private cable" companies, telephone companies (Verizon FiOS, AT&T U-Verse), and satellite TV companies (DirecTV and Dish Network). Programmers are companies that produce video programming and provide it to retailers. Programmers fall into three categories: - Television broadcast stations. - PEG (Public Access, Educational Access, Government Access) ch...

funny telecom cartoon (telecom) [telecom]
For a bit of telecom humor, see: http://www.gocomics.com/offthemark/2014/02/18 -- Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097 Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67 Canines: Val,Red,Shasta,Zero,Casey & Cinnar (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L Canines: Red & Max (Siberians) Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L ...

Find.find does not find orphaned links?
Find.find does not seem to find orphaned links: Downloads>ln -s /nonexistent Downloads>ls -l total 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 wybo users 12 Nov 15 14:15 nonexistent -> /nonexistent Downloads>irb irb(main):001:0> require 'find' => true irb(main):002:0> Find.find('.') do |f| puts f end Hi, In message "Re: Find.find does not find orphaned links?" on Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:19:59 +0900, Wybo Dekker <wybo@servalys.nl> writes: |Find.find does not seem to find orphaned links: It's a bug. Thank you. matz. ...

Cable Modems [Telecom]
Moderator's Note: Set for separate threading due to different subject matter. (bh) [In a thread on Model 32 and 33 Teletype machines,] hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote: > In my opinion, the real driver of the communication revolution > was the huge decline in the price of central data servers > (computers) and communication lines. Cheap servers made it > possible for people to afford to offer useful information > on-line, and, to do so in a very user-friendly format. Cheap > communications made it possible to provide full scale > interconnections between servers and the users, and again, to > do it in a user-friendly format. As a former cable guy, Lisa's comment "... huge decline in the price of ... communication lines" prompts me to write about something that's been on my mind for a decade: the cable TV industry's early efforts to offer internet service. The initial effort was led by @Home Network, a company founded and funded by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, the same Silicon Valley VC that had originally funded Netscape. @Home's initial efforts were successful, and the major cable TV retailers all signed up. Numerous pundits had a field day: That brain-dead cable TV industry is actually planning to offer internet service? The pundits fell into two camps: - "They'll never make it work." This camp claimed that the industry would never be successful, pointing ou...

Finding Freqz in Voice.
hi... I have a recorded voice.I converted it from time domain to frequency domain.Now here we have many no of frequencies.Let say 120,200,250,360 etc.Now I want to search some desired frequencies in it.Many no of frequncies at the same time .May be its Musical Notes. ANy idea ,Any Alogorithm,any Info availabe on net. I am using Matlab as simulation tool. Plz help. Jawad Rehman wrote: > hi... > I have a recorded voice.I converted it from time domain to frequency > domain.Now here we have many no of frequencies.Let say 120,200,250,360 > etc.Now I want to search some desired freq...

Linksys Finds its Voice
http://news.com.com/2008-7352_3-5197172.html?part=rss&tag=feed&tag&subj=news By Winston Chai Special to CNET News.com If Victor Tsao has his way, your next broadband router could bear an uncanny resemblance to your living room telephone. Ten months after his company was bought by Cisco Systems for $500 million, the founder of consumer networking gear maker Linksys plans to embark on an aggressive product expansion trail this year. Beyond latching onto the digital entertainment wave with more offerings for multimedia streaming and wireless console gaming, Tsao will...

[telecom] Need some guidance on telecom easements [Telecom]
> ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > IANAL, and you need a good one, experienced in both easements and > tower leases. Don't go to the local guy: this is an area where new > precedents are being set almost daily, as cell towers and cellular > infrastructure pop up at every streetcorner. You need a firm that > does this all the time. > > You can start by getting some facts by yourself: > > 1. What frequencies will the transmitter(s) operator on? > 2. What company will hold the FCC license? > 3. What are the authorized emission types? > 4. Would the easement allow them to add more transmitters in the future? > 5. Does the easement allow them to heighten the pole or substitute a > tower? > 6. Does the easement allow them to erect new buildings? > > The specific answer are important, but the meta-message is critical: > if you get evasiveness and double-talk, techno-babble, or bureacratic > buck-passing, STOP the process and call in the cavalry. Tell your > attorney to put safeguards into the lease that prevent the > communications carrier from putting a wireless central office on top > of that pole. > > Most importantly, don't let them rush you: if ANYONE threatens to move > the equipment and get a lease elsewhere, tell them "Go ahead!". The > fact that your land was sought-after as a tower site means it's fit > for use as a cellular (or o...

where to find examples of cabled rooms
Hello, I'd like to know if there is some documentation on the net which explains (using examples) how to clabling either buildings or rooms. If you can point me to such a information I would be delighted. I'm searching on google but I haven't found anything useful yet... Thanks! Juan Fco Rodriguez Hervella <jrh@it.uc3m.es> wrote in message news:<bnj1c1$s68$1@hyrkania.uc3m.es>... > Hello, > > I'd like to know if there is > some documentation on the net which > explains (using examples) how to > clabling either buildings or rooms. > >...

Looking for telephone cable, but not finding it...
I noticed this in the FAQ: > ------------------------------ > > Subject: 6.0 Cable Conductors > > Cable conductor gauge is specified as AWG (American Wire Gauge). > A higher number is a smaller diameter. Telephone cable used indoors > is typically 24 or 26 AWG, whereas household electrical wiring is > typically 12 or 14 AWG. > > ------------------------------ and have been trying to locate some telephone cable for termination on equipment side by wirewrap, and the other by RJ-11/12 modular plug. The wire need not be rated better than PO...

cable Internet cable
I got a wireless router, so I'm trying to replace my cable Internet cable with a shorter one (about 6 feet). Anyone know if this will work? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4117994&st=Coaxial+Cable&type=product&id=1051384699030 bob@coolgroups.com wrote: > I got a wireless router, so I'm trying to replace my cable Internet > cable with a shorter one (about 6 feet). > > Anyone know if this will work? > > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4117994&st=Coaxial+Cable&type=product&id=1051384699030 That&#...

Find.find bug?
$ ruby -rfind -e 'Find.find("foo") {|e| p e}' "foo" $ ls foo C:\msys\1.0\local\bin\ls.exe: foo: No such file or directory It should return nothing if foo doesn't exist. martin Hi, At Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:45:09 +0900, Martin DeMello wrote in [ruby-talk:111751]: > > $ ruby -rfind -e 'Find.find("foo") {|e| p e}' > "foo" > > $ ls foo > C:\msys\1.0\local\bin\ls.exe: foo: No such file or directory > > It should return nothing if foo doesn't exist. What version ruby do you run? $ LANG=C ls foo ls: foo:...

cables(cross-over cable or not)....
We have two(2) Cisco3620 routers. One is our gateway router with a FastEthernet card facing inward. The other has 2 FastEthernet cards in it, one facing our internal network, and one facing the gateway router. This router is being used to traffic shape. How should the 2 FastEthernet cards be connected? ie. by a crossover cable, or both pluged into a 100-Mb switch? Note, someone told me that a cross over cable reduces the speed to 10-Mb single duplex, is this true? Captain wrote: > How should the 2 FastEthernet cards be > connected? > > ie. by a crossover cable, or >...

Cable Modem and Voice over IP
Is there anyone using voice over ip with their cable modem? Currently we offer Michigan DID's and US 800# to ring another phone in the world TDM or VoIP ( PSTN or ip phones) and are looking to see if there is any interest in more geographic areas. -- Greg Merriweather The NuFone Network G.Merriweather@nufone.net 519-251-8225 x 3000 IM: shido6@msn.com shido wrote: > Is there anyone using voice over ip with their cable modem? > > Currently we offer Michigan DID's and US 800# to ring another phone in the > world TDM or VoIP ( PSTN or ip phones) and...

FIND finds too much
% The problem, easily seen below, is the unexpected behavoir of FIND. % DTA is an 1152x17 matrix whose details should not, it seems to me, be important. A1=find(DTA(:,2)==+1&DTA(:,3)==-1); DTA(A1(1:2),2:3),DTA(A1(end-1:end),2:3) ans = 1 -1 1 -1 ans = 1 -1 1 -1 % So far so good, only 1 -1 combinations present (directly verified for ALL entries, % in DTA(A1,:), not just those shown here). But then A2=find(DTA(A1,4)==DTA(A1,5)); DTA(A2(1:2),2:3),DTA(A2(end-1:end),2:3); ans = 1 -1 1 -1 ans = 1 1 1 1 % Why...

voice and data cabling in Toronto
How would I find someone intelligent enough to pull and terminate 300 pair through 280 feet of 4" feeder duct plus some other temp work fixing and re-routing cables and terminating? I would only need some help for a couple of days. jdahl2983 wrote: > How would I find someone intelligent enough to pull and terminate 300 pair > through 280 feet of 4" feeder duct plus some other temp work fixing and > re-routing cables and terminating? I would only need some help for a > couple of days. You might try the technical temp agencies. A few years ago, I could have recommende...

Web resources about - Cable Finds Its Voice - comp.dcom.telecom

Cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
6 inch (15 cm) outside diameter, oil-cooled cables, traversing the Grand Coulee Dam throughout. An example of a heavy cable for power transmission. ...

Data Drives Political Advertisers to Buy More Cable TV Than Ever
Political advertisers are buying more cable TV than ever, but not necessarily in prime-time or on the networks you'd expect. Channels that haven't ...

6.2 Million Watch South Carolina Primary Coverage on Cable News
... being set for coverage of the 2016 election. With Democrats in Nevada accusing and Gop voters in South Carolina going to the polls, the cable ...

Cable lobby claimed “voluntary” solution could create cable box competition
FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler. (credit: NCTA ) Just before yesterday's vote to boost competition in the cable set-top box market, Federal Communications ...

Ofcom tells BT to open up cable network to rivals
Communications watchdog Ofcom has said BT must open up its cable network, allowing competition to improve internet connection for homes and businesses. ...

How to turn your iPhone into a universal remote that controls your TV, cable box and more
... perfect example is an infrared blaster, which allows many flagship Android phones to act as a universal remote that can control your TV, cable ...

Cable could be losing its grip on your set-top box
Regulators could eventually let you use a set-top box from someone other than your cable company. CNET tells you what you need to know and how ...

Google Fiber to use existing fiber optic cable in San Francisco
Google Fiber announced Wednesday it will use existing fiber optic cables in San Francisco to bring its gigabit Internet service to some apartments, ...

Thanks, FCC! Your cable company will soon have more competition
... the FCC to do some really great things. Here's the latest . This week, the Federal Communications Commission ruled that you can get your cable ...

Nevada, South Carolina Election Coverage Gooses Cable News Networks Saturday Stats
More than 3.4 million viewers were glued to Fox News Channel, CNN and MSNBC Saturday afternoon to see Hillary Clinton edge out Bernie Sanders ...