Cut Your Telecom Bills [telecom]

There is a good article called "Cut your telecom bills" in the May,
2011 issue of Consumer Reports magazine.

There are several parts of it that caught my eye right away: a section
titled "Some fiber really isn't", covering some of the physical-layer
issues we've been discussing here, and a section on the "Ooma" VoIP
service, plus a section on "The benefits of bundling and bargaining".

I'm curious what the Digest's readers think about the article.

Bill

--
Bill Horne
(Filter QRM for direct replies)

0
Bill
4/8/2011 4:54:29 AM
comp.dcom.telecom 29624 articles. 1 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow

Bill Horne wrote:
> There is a good article called "Cut your telecom bills" in the May,
> 2011 issue of Consumer Reports magazine.
>
> There are several parts of it that caught my eye right away: a section
> titled "Some fiber really isn't", covering some of the physical-layer
> issues we've been discussing here, and a section on the "Ooma" VoIP
> service, plus a section on "The benefits of bundling and bargaining".
>
> I'm curious what the Digest's readers think about the article.
>
> Bill

The glaring omission for me was their failure to mention how robust and
reliable E911 is with a wireline carrier, and how 911 wireless or 911
Voip can be problematic at a residence.

0
Sam

funny telecom cartoon (telecom) [telecom]
For a bit of telecom humor, see: http://www.gocomics.com/offthemark/2014/02/18 -- Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097 Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67 Canines: Val,Red,Shasta,Zero,Casey & Cinnar (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L Canines: Red & Max (Siberians) Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L ...

[telecom] Need some guidance on telecom easements [Telecom]
> ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > IANAL, and you need a good one, experienced in both easements and > tower leases. Don't go to the local guy: this is an area where new > precedents are being set almost daily, as cell towers and cellular > infrastructure pop up at every streetcorner. You need a firm that > does this all the time. > > You can start by getting some facts by yourself: > > 1. What frequencies will the transmitter(s) operator on? > 2. What company will hold the FCC license? > 3. What are the authorized emission types? &...

Telecom in High Art [telecom]
I'm just listening to a classical radio program - this one featuring the modern and rather hard-to-take composer Elliott Carter. He set three of Robert Frost's poems to music, one of them being "The Line Gang" Here come the line-gang pioneering by. They throw a forest down less cut than broken. They plant dead trees for living, and the dead They string together with a living thread. They string an instrument against the sky Wherein words whether beaten out or spoken Will run as hushed as when they were a thought But in no hush they string it: they go past With ...

[telecom] Harassed by robocalls [Telecom]
On Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:20 PM "Steven Lichter" <diespammers@ikillspammers.com> wrote: [ snip ] > the Golf Course in Lon Beach. What was happening was when the hunt > group was busy the next call would go to another hunt group, which had > out number on it; I would tell them they reached the wrong number, most > were understanding and would try again. I passed the problem to our > customer service office and they contacted the golf course and told > them that they needed to add more numbers to their hunt group because > they w...

[Telecom] Series on Telecom security
Bruce Schneier, who coined the term "Security Theater" and is the author of "Applied Cryptography", publishes a newletter called CRYPTO-GRAM, which I recommend to those who are interested in both cryptography and security issues. The January 15, 2010, issue includes these links: 'A very good four-part series: "Risk and Security in the Telecommunications Industry." ' http://tinyurl.com/yl6pg92 http://tinyurl.com/ykus3fh http://tinyurl.com/ye7qzhv http://tinyurl.com/ykmxam7 The series discusses the issues of survivability and resilience tha...

Need a telecom attorney [Telecom]
I'm looking for an attorney in the Philadelphia area who specializes in land easements. We have a telecom company looking to put some antenna's, and I guess transmitters on our property and want someone to review the agreements. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Michael Muderick ***** Moderator's Note ***** Michael, you're a very wise man. IANAL, and I'm sure the readers will offer suggestions, but let me add these suggestions to get you started: * How many antennas? How man transmitters? (It's NOT a one-to-one relationship!) * For _their_ radi...

[telecom]recorded telecom messages
an archive of recorded messages: http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html Dave Garland wrote: > an archive of recorded messages: > http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html > heh heh, those have some humor potential! Rick Merrill wrote: >Dave Garland wrote: >>an archive of recorded messages: >>http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html >> >heh heh, those have some humor potential! Friend of mine had a very realistic sounding ring tone with perfect SIT (tone) sequence and "We're sorry due to call overload, our system ...

Verizon FIOS (telecom) [telecom]
This was originally posted to comp.dcom.telecom.tech in error, it was intended for cdt, so reposting to proper place with some followup added. During the recent FIOS discussion, I had nothing to add, so I didn't. Its been fine since it was installed 2+ years ago. Just recently, I had some issues, and I wanted to pass along what I encountered for the benefit of the group. At first, both wired and wireless went dead. A power cycle fixed it, and the wired connections had no furthur problems. The wireless was not working. The first time or 2 the Verizon "In Home Agent" fixed it but then it became intermittant and Agent could do nothing. [I] found a bug in their online diagnostics and a related bug in Agent. The online diagnostic was reading my userid and passphrase, spelling it out phonetically. My passphrase is several words with spaces between the words, and the diagnostic ignored the spaces. Later, Agent asked me for the passphrase and wouldn't allow me to enter the spaces. Later, I called FIOS tech support and reported both bugs. I then described the problems and asked what would it take to get a new modem. He responded that he would send me one and it arrived the next day. Aparantly they have decided that the modem I have is obselete because they don't want it back. I will trash it after resetting it to clear the passphrase. It will be installed tomorrow and I will follow up if anything unusual happens. One o...

Telecom News in TELECOM Digest
No offense, but I read other sources of news, and I see the stuff below in several places where it's accurately sorted by topic. I read Telecom Digest to get *telecom* related information, not the latest Dish TV "special" or what Amazon is doing this week. Just a simple comment. -W > Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:10:52 -0500 > From: Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> > Subject: DISH Network $999 HDTV Promo > http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/system/ [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And no offense taken. Monty Solomon is a sort of e...

Telecom
We Pay You Cash For Your Telecom Equipment Located in Deerfield Beach, Telenet Systems pays top dollar for all types o= f used telephone systems, parts, pieces and data network gear nationwide. T= oday's new business telephone systems are designed to improve communication= , reduce your communication cost and, most importantly, increase productivi= ty. If you're considering upgrading the phone systems in your office, consider = selling them first to Telenet Systems. The company refurbishes and sells a = variety of phone equipment including telephone systems, transmission, swi...

Re: [telecom] NYS mandates "large print" for utility bills [Telecom]
In a message dated 9/1/2009 10:48:43 AM Central Daylight Time, dave.garland@wizinfo.com writes: > Money transfers are very attractive when funds are going to the less > developed world, where the recipients probably do not have bank > account either. WU (no idea whether it's the same company or just > someone who bought the name) is still a big player in that. Also useful, especially before ATM cards [were useable] eveywhere, to send money to a traveler who had run out of money or had an emergency. Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com ...

Telecom Digest Reader Survey [telecom]
An invitation, from the Moderator: > In an effort to improve both the quality of The Telecom Digest and the > skill of its moderator, you are invited to take part in a survey. The > survey results will be used to help guide the Moderator's choices when > he decides what posts are appropriate, and to give him a better idea of > the interests, likes, dislikes, and tastes of the Digest audience. > > The introduction to the survey is somewhat lengthy, but please bear with > it -- you are entitled to know how your responses will be handled, and > that the confidentiality of your identity will be respected. Please keep > these points in mind when filling out the survey, and let me thank you in > advance for your time. > > > Bill Horne > Telecom Digest Moderator > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The Telecom Digest Reader Survey January 2012 INTRODUCTION ------------ 1. If you choose to respond to this survey, you need only reply to this message: The Reply-To address ("survey@survey.dyndns-mail.org") goes to a neutral third party who will analyze the results, summarize comments, and report back to the Moderator after removing all traces of identifying information from your answers. 2. If you want an acknowledgment of receipt, add the tag [AUTOACK]...

The perfect Telecom conversation piece [telecom]
Here's a perfect conversation piece for those awkward social situations when someone asks what you did for a living in the dark ages before computers: http://tinyurl.com/ygltn8r . If you wind up buying it, feel free to invite me over to hook it up. ;-) Of course, if you _do_ want to hook something up to a computer for demonstrations, something more "modern" may be in order, so here's some info on other equipment that is available for pickup in New Jersey. (This is from the "Greenkeys" mailing list). The seller's email is joewvu@remove-this.verizo...

Telecom Digest Info file [telecom]
This is the "Info" document for The Telecom Digest. It is sent automatically to new subscribers, and posted occasionally in the Digest. The Telecom Digest is an electronic magazine, or e-zine, devoted mostly to telecommunications, and mostly to the Companies, technology, regulations, politics, and people that affect, create, maintain, and govern the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) of the world. This is, as the above paragraph no doubt implies, much easier to _do_ than to _explain_. We cover any subject that's related to the telephone network, including Voice-Over-Internet-Protocol (VoIP), Cellular telephones, Air-to-ground telephone service, ship-to-shore telephone connections, and even an occasional story about the old manual world or the earlier generations of electro-mechanical Central Office telephone switches. The Telecom Digest isn't just about technology: it's about the way that telephones shape our lives, and the ways that governments and corporations and individuals shape the telephones and the networks that make them work. No matter what area of telecommunications you are interested in, the odds are that you can contribute knowledge and opinions about the PSTN to The Telecom Digest. There are very few areas of life that aren't affected by phones, and we welcome everyone who is willing to help and to abide by the rules. The Telecom Digest moderator is Bill Horne, and he lives in the United States....

Vodavi DHS-E TELECOM [telecom]
Hello all, Anyone in here have any familiarity with the Vodavi DHS-E phone system? I am having an issue that I can't seem to resolve. The system originally had a Dispatch Voice Mail unit installed which took a trip south. There a number of extensions that have the Message Waiting Light flashing. With out the Dispatch I can't figure out how to turn off the MWL and return the stations to normal. Looking for a hint on how that can be done without the use of a bigger hammer. TIA. Les ...

Re: [telecom] 5XB arcana [Telecom]
In a message dated 6/20/2009 2:10:35 AM Central Daylight Time, xanadu.bbs@example.invalid writes: > I visited the CEntral CO in Topeka, Kansas around 1970. That was a > huge Stroger SXS office, with the auxiliary line finders in wooden > cabinets with glass windows. I forget their actual name, but they > appeared to oscillate back and forth, left to right, with contacts > somehow stopping and held to terminals when a subscriber went ROH. Are you sure that those weren't line switches instead of line finders? had some of those in in the office named "North,...

Telecom challenge: Hurricane Irene [telecom]
Hurricane Irene is expected to hit the eastern US this weekend with very heavy rains and high winds. Considerable flooding is expected. Also expected are many power failures. This is because the ground is already saturated from recent rain storms, the hurricane will add considerable rain, and high winds will knock many trees into wires. It is expected to take a few days to restore power. It will be interesting to see how the telecom providers react to the storm to keep service running in terms of landlines, cellular, and Internet traffic. Will traditional landline central offices fail due to flooding or lost power? Will downed utiltiy poles take down vital communication lines as well? Will the various services be flooded with more traffic than they can handle (as happened with cell phones in the recent earthquake)? Will trunk lines that provide long distance service, interconnect central offices and cell phone towers, and provide Internet 'backbone' support fail? (FWIW, I dug out an old transistor radio and got batteries for it, just in case. My power isn't that reliable. I wish I could have a backup generator for power but I live in an apt.) On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:01:36 -0700, Hancock4 wrote: .......... > (FWIW, I dug out an old transistor radio and got batteries for it, just in > case. My power isn't that reliable. I wish I could have a backup > generator for power but I live in an apt.) Get one of those l...

Telecom Digest archives questions [TELECOM]
All, I had a discussion tonight with Bill about our archives. As most of you are aware we have long maintained our own set of archives here: http://massis.lcs.mit.edu/telecom-archives/. This forum started in 1981 when Sergey and Larry were doing whatever 8 year-olds did in 1981 and Google Groups did not exist. If we wanted an archive we had to do it ourselves. I can't speak for everyone, but going back and reading the old archives has been like a trip down memory lane. I remember when we had The Phone Company and would wait until 11 PM to call our grandparents to save on to...

Telecom Digest F.A.Q. [telecom]
This is the list of frequently-asked questions for The Telecom Digest, and it is sent to new subscribers automatically. It is also posted in the Digest whenever the contents change, and once per quarter even if the contents have not changed. Q. What is The Telecom Digest? A. The Telecom Digest is the oldest continuously published mailing list on the Internet. It was started before Usenet existed, but is now available via the Usenet group comp.dcom.telecom. Q. Who's in charge? A. The current Moderator is Bill Horne, and you may reach him by sending email to telecomdigestmoderator.atsign.telecom-digest.org. (The part that says ".atsign." will, of course, be replaced by the "@" symbol in all examples shown in this f.a.q.) Q. How do I subscribe? A. If you want to receive The Telecom Digest via email, send a "plain text" email message to majordomo.atsign.telecom-digest.org, with the command "subscribe telecom" in the BODY of the message. (The subject line will be ignored.) You may choose to receive posts in a daily digest, with all the posts for the day included in a single email, or you may choose to have each post sent to your email address as soon as it is approved: digest mode is the default, but if you prefer individual email, use the command "subscribe-set telecom each" instead. If you want to subscribe an address OTHER THAN the one you are ...

Re: [telecom] When Texting Is Wrong [Telecom]
In a message dated 7/18/2009 9:44:10 AM Central Daylight Time, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com writes: > My feeling is that automation must make things better for the customer > than they were before. The usual result nowadays is that it is done to make things better for the company, not the customer. -- Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com ...

Re: [telecom] Goodbye to copper? [Telecom]
In a message dated 6/25/2009 10:57:30 PM Central Daylight Time, dcstar@myrealbox.com writes: > Yep, but that is essentially a political decision and highlights > that such things hold back the use of potentially better > technologies. > > You have to wonder if the costs of the newer technologies (in the > long-term) would drop if they were to totally replace the older > incumbent. > > The issue (I suppose) is that by tying up old ways of doing things - > either by fixed rates or just our attitudes of resisting change - we > miss out on the bene...

Re: [telecom] GSM-only interference [Telecom]
In a message dated 8/7/2009 2:13:36 PM Central Daylight Time, thad@thadlabs.com writes: > But the finger is pointing at GSM as the culprit. Though I realize > the GSM interference isn't a life-threatening situation (hmmm, what > about being in a hospital?), I thought consumer appliances are not > supposed to be causing such interference. I was in the hospital a few months ago and using my AT&T phone. So were many of my visitors. Others I have no idea what carrier/system they were using but I know some of them were ATM. Nurses and others called and answered...

Re: [telecom] Paper Is Out, Cellphones Are In [Telecom]
johnl@iecc.com (John Levine) wrote: |There's two separate issues. One is electronic payment, the other is |tracking. It's really true that ETC* is faster and cheaper, |particularly when they've installed equipment that allows toll |collection as people drive by at full speed. Most of the turnpike gates in Oklahoma are intended to be passed at full speed. One near Newcastle, Oklahoma, has a sign "Ramp Speed 75." That's one where the lanes diverge and the non-cash lanes are to the side of the through (cash) lanes. Most other places the reade...

Digital bonanza for telecoms historians [telecom]
http://www.itwire.com/it-industry-news/development/52118-digital-bonanza-for-telecoms-historians Digital bonanza for telecoms historians Stuart Corner Thursday, 12 January 2012 12:06 IT Industry - Development The UK's National Archive is to digitise 165 years worth of British Telecom's and its predecessors' historical documents. The project is a collaboration between Coventry University, BT Heritage and The National Archive and aims to catalogue, digitise and develop a searchable online archive of almost half a million photographs, images, documents and correspondence. It is being funded with a grant from JISC (formerly the UK's Joint Information Systems Committee). According to JISC: "The BT Archive is held, with some limited public access, in central London and is by any standard a collection of national and international importance, recognised by UNESCO�?� "The digitisation of a significant proportion of the Archive will allow teachers, students, researchers and the general public in the UK and overseas to gain easier access to our scientific and cultural telecommunications heritage; enabling them to utilise the archive for studies and leisure from anywhere in the world. Digitisation of the Archives will also ensure the continued preservation of the collections in digital as well as analogue format." The project includes research work around product and graphic design, language development and problem-b...

Web resources about - Cut Your Telecom Bills [telecom] - comp.dcom.telecom

Cubic Telecom - Home
... that travels could communicate through mobile technology - but without crippling roaming or network costs. That's the vision which Cubic Telecom ...

Telecom News, Telecom Companies, Telecom Industry - Fierce Telecom
FierceTelecom is the leading telecom news source for Telcos and telecom industry insiders. Get updated on top telecom companies, NGN, WiMAX, ...

Home - Global Telecoms Business
Global Telecoms Business is the leading intelligence source for senior managers who run telecoms carriers worldwide. It provides business people, ...

Become a CLEC - ISG-Telecom Consultants - #1 US regulatory firm ISG-Telecom Consultants is the #1 CLEC ...
ISG-Telecom is devoted to creating new CLEC's and IXC's. Turn Key CLEC Strategies with full regulatory filing at the PUC & FCC levels. CLEC legal ...

Telecom Italia - Telecom Italia
Telecom Italia offers infrastructures, platforms and services for mobile and fixed phones, internet, ICT solutions and media content.

Telecompaper – Telecom news and research – News Home
tp:news tp:research tp:events Edition: International Nederlands Log in Register Products 0 Article Binder Telecompaper Loading... 0 Home Mobile ...

Telecompetitor - Providing insight, analysis, and commentary on the evolving telecom competitive landscape ...
With shipments of residential gateways rising but revenue dropping, service providers are looking to expand beyond traditional triple play services, ...

Telecom Reseller - The Voice of Unified Communication and Collaboration
The Voice of Unified Communication and Collaboration

Telecoms Korea - Since 2004
Telecoms Korea Since 2004 Contact

Bienvenue sur le site du GER Télécom - GER Télécom
Depuis 1981, plus de 700 contrats ont prouvé notre savoir-faire et ont fait du GER Télécom l'une des grandes Junior-Entreprises françaises. Implantée ...