Do you know where there are Teletype machines for sale? [Telecom]

I subscribe to a mailing list for Teletype users, called GREENKEYS.

One of the readers posted a request for info on whether a Model 15
Teletype is available for purchase, and it got me wondering if any of
the Digest's readers have knowledge in this area.

Does anyone know of any repository of Teletype machines? I can't help
but wonder if some Baby Bell has a warehouse full of them, and there's
a fair number of users who'd be delighted to get at them.

Thanks for your time.

Bill

--
E. William Horne
William Warren Consulting

"While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you.
It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual'."
                                   -- Dogbert

comp.dcom.telecom 29624 articles. 1 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 02:32:09 -0500, Bill Horne
<bill.remove@this-too.billhorne.homelinux.org> wrote:

> I subscribe to a mailing list for Teletype users, called GREENKEYS.
>
> One of the readers posted a request for info on whether a Model 15
> Teletype is available for purchase, and it got me wondering if any of
> the Digest's readers have knowledge in this area.
>
> Does anyone know of any repository of Teletype machines? I can't help
> but wonder if some Baby Bell has a warehouse full of them, and there's
> a fair number of users who'd be delighted to get at them.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Bill

Googling on the search string [ Model 15 Teletype for sale ], I find:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=8201 .

So, two and a half years ago, there certainly was one.
Might be sold, by now, though :-) .

Cheers, -- tlvp
 --
Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

***** Moderator's Note *****

Thanks, I'll check ;-).

The question is "What did Ma Bell do with all the machines that used
to crank out service orders"? If they were scrapped, that's a shame,
but it wouldn't surprise me to find at least _one_ warehouse ...

Bill Horne
Moderator

0
tlvp
12/15/2009 5:03:36 AM
On Dec 15, 12:03�am, tlvp <mPiOsUcB.EtLlL...@att.net> wrote:

> The question is "What did Ma Bell do with all the machines that used
> to crank out service orders"? If they were scrapped, that's a shame,
> but it wouldn't surprise me to find at least _one_ warehouse ...

I suspect that until the 1990s, the Bell System and baby bells
warehoused old components for parts use or to be reconditioned.  Until
then there was a great deal of old legacy equipment in active daily
service.

However, by circa 1990, new electronic equipment, both for public
service and internal processing, was flooding the baby bells, [and] the
old gear was completely obsolete.  Computerized order systems replaced
Baudot teletypes.  Further, the baby bells and Western Electric were
breaking away from their Bell System legacy of a very rugged
infrastructure to a much leaner streamlined approach.  At that time I
suspect the stockpiles of old gear, be it Teletypes, Strowger
switches, rotary telephone sets, etc. were declared obsolete and
scrapped, even the warehouses themselves sold off.  Several old
telephone buildings were sold off to become luxury condos.

***** Moderator's Note *****

During the 1960's my uncle was flying a surplus Cessna "Bamboo Bomber"
twin-engined airplane from Texas to Massachusetts, while on vacation
with his wife. The aircraft, which had seen long service in World War
II, was no longer in the government inventory, so parts could only be
obtained from the secondary market.

My uncle blew the landing gear fuse, and therefore couldn't use the
electric motors which raised and lowered the landing gear. The fuse
was a special part that wasn't used for any other airplane, or any
other *anything*, so he had to have his wife crank the gear down (and
up) manually, using the emergency, hand-operated gear mechanism.
Needless to say, his wife was happy to do it the first time, but not
the fifth or sixth, etc.

My uncle, who had spent 20+ years in the Air Force, stopped at
Westover Air Force base and sought help from the Senior Master
Sergeant in charge of aircraft maintenance. The "top" sergeant took
him into an old hanger, and showed him a hidden trapdoor that led to
the "attic", where a long line of Master Sergeants had hidden all the
parts from all the "Retired" airplanes. They found the fuse my uncle
needed, and a couple of spares, _and_ the gear lubricant that the
landing gear motors _really_ needed (it was made to perform properly
at altitude and still be non-conductive, which was a rare feat back
then) and my uncle never tired of telling the tale.

The moral of this story is that I *KNOW* that somewhere, there is a
warehouse full of Teletype machines, packed in Cosmoline, ready to go
into service. The "pack rat" nature of techies dictates it, and I'm
going on a mission to find them! ;-)

Bill Horne
Moderator

0
hancock4
12/15/2009 3:53:07 PM
Telecom Digest Moderator wrote:
> The moral of this story is that I *KNOW* that somewhere, there is a
> warehouse full of Teletype machines, packed in Cosmoline, ready to go
> into service. The "pack rat" nature of techies dictates it, and I'm
> going on a mission to find them! ;-)

For decades, waves of WWII "Command Sets" -- modular aircraft radios
of solid but simple construction -- would appear on the surplus
market. The general view was as bases closed down/ cleaned house,
another warehouse full of them had been found and sold off.

David
12/15/2009 6:28:02 PM
In a message dated 12/15/2009 8:13:44 AM Central Standard Time,
bill@billhorne.removethis.homelinux.org wrote:

> Thanks,  I'll check ;-).
>
> The question is "What did Ma Bell do with all the  machines that used
> to crank out service orders"? If they were scrapped,  that's a shame,
> but it wouldn't surprise me to find at least _one_  warehouse ...
>
> Bill Horne
> Moderator

It's unlikelty they're laying around in a warehouse, since they would
be assets in the rate base that the company needed to be earning on,
and they would bring in no revenue.

Incidentally, I'm 81, have a landline and cellphone, and like a lot of
fast food.  McDonald's has outstanding quality beef.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

**** Moderator's Note *****

Come on, Wes, didn't you ever hear of the "Magic Pencil"? There were
probably more items "retired" that way than we could imagine: when I
was in Engineering, we occasionally found electromechanical equipment
sitting on floor space which had been "cleared" years before. Some of
it had been hidden by engineers who wanted a private stock of parts
(D1 banks were a favorite target), and some was "removed" by foremen
and supervisors who owed their crews a favor and used the OT as
Christmas money.

In any case, I don't care who _owns_ the warehouse (or barn, or
attic): I'm just trying to find it. There was a _lot_ of old gear that
fell off the truck on the way to the junk dealer, and even a few old
Switchmen who constructed complete SxS telephone exchanges in their
basements when SxS was "retired".

BTW, I bet you order off the "less than a dollar" menu at McBurger,
and avoid the ultra-high profit items like shakes and french fries.

Bill Horne
Moderator

0
Wesrock
12/15/2009 6:44:32 PM
Wesrock@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 12/15/2009 8:13:44 AM Central Standard Time,
> bill@billhorne.removethis.homelinux.org wrote:
>
>> Thanks,  I'll check ;-).
>>
>> The question is "What did Ma Bell do with all the  machines that used
>> to crank out service orders"? If they were scrapped,  that's a shame,
>> but it wouldn't surprise me to find at least _one_  warehouse ...
>>
>> Bill Horne
>> Moderator
>
> It's unlikelty they're laying around in a warehouse, since they would
> be assets in the rate base that the company needed to be earning on,
> and they would bring in no revenue.
>
> Incidentally, I'm 81, have a landline and cellphone, and like a lot of
> fast food.  McDonald's has outstanding quality beef.
>
> Wes Leatherock
> wesrock@aol.com
> wleathus@yahoo.com
>
> **** Moderator's Note *****
>
> Come on, Wes, didn't you ever hear of the "Magic Pencil"? There were
> probably more items "retired" that way than we could imagine: when I
> was in Engineering, we occasionally found electromechanical equipment
> sitting on floor space which had been "cleared" years before. Some of
> it had been hidden by engineers who wanted a private stock of parts
> (D1 banks were a favorite target), and some was "removed" by foremen
> and supervisors who owed their crews a favor and used the OT as
> Christmas money.
>
> In any case, I don't care who _owns_ the warehouse (or barn, or
> attic): I'm just trying to find it. There was a _lot_ of old gear that
> fell off the truck on the way to the junk dealer, and even a few old
> Switchmen who constructed complete SxS telephone exchanges in their
> basements when SxS was "retired".
>
> BTW, I bet you order off the "less than a dollar" menu at McBurger,
> and avoid the ultra-high profit items like shakes and french fries.
>
> Bill Horne
> Moderator

Years ago we found a case of Candle Stick phones in a old CO that had
been converted into storage, box was still sealed from factory, the
dates on the box and phone was from the 20's so we figured they had been
stored during the depression by a California Water Telephone or who CWT
bought.  The Phones never made it back to anywhere except out work
group.  I was out past Palm Springs last year on a remote site job and
found an old Valley Home Telephone, sign is in very good condition for
being there since the 50's. There is a company located in Wisconsin
located in an old barn that has just about anything telephone related.

--
The only good spammer is a dead one!!  Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2009 I Kill Spammers, Inc., A Rot in Hell. Co.

0
Steven
12/15/2009 7:03:50 PM
> **** Moderator's Note *****
>
> Come on, Wes, didn't you ever hear of the "Magic Pencil"? There were
> probably more items "retired" that way than we could imagine: when I
> was in Engineering, we occasionally found electromechanical equipment
> sitting on floor space which had been "cleared" years before. Some of
> it had been hidden by engineers who wanted a private stock of parts
> (D1 banks were a favorite target), and some was "removed" by foremen
> and supervisors who owed their crews a favor and used the OT as
> Christmas money.

Back in the 1980s-1990s the sour economy forced many large companies
to get lean and mean.  They took a hard look at warehouse or surplus
space they owned or leased and determined whether it had any realistic
economic value.  In many cases it did not (in their eyes) and the
properties [were] disposed of.  Two casualties of this were (1) old
hardware of various types and (2) corporate archives.  Being lean and
mean meant that a company no longer supported (with manuals or parts)
ancient equipment still in service out there.  From blast furnaces to
bookcases, stuff was scrapped or trashed.

> In any case, I don't care who _owns_ the warehouse (or barn, or
> attic): I'm just trying to find it. There was a _lot_ of old gear that
> fell off the truck on the way to the junk dealer, and even a few old
> Switchmen who constructed complete SxS telephone exchanges in their
> basements when SxS was "retired".

The two historic telephone groups, ACTA and TCI, may be able to help.
There are antique radio collector groups and ham radio groups who may
be able to help.  Sometimes stuff is posted on e-bay.

Unfortunately, private collections are sometimes sadly destroyed as
this article describes:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://www.trentonian.com/articles/2009/12/04/news/doc4b1888f3ca007384474191.txt&usg=AFQjCNH0Cko4PF-FUNFwVOsAIBCl1FVmpQ

0
hancock4
12/15/2009 8:18:50 PM
In article <3f0b2703-971d-4d56-aa0d-eadc662ea061@21g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,

> ***** Moderator's Note *****
>
> The moral of this story is that I *KNOW* that somewhere, there is a
> warehouse full of Teletype machines, packed in Cosmoline, ready to go
> into service. The "pack rat" nature of techies dictates it, and I'm
> going on a mission to find them! ;-)

_IF_ there is such a warehouse, you're still gonna be out of luck.
The techie guarding it is preserving them for telco use, not for
surplus sales.

*GRIN*

***** Moderator's Note *****

Nope, I don't believe it. Techies want things to be _used_, not just
stored, and they'll welcome me when I show up bearing lubricants and
anti-fungal agents.

Bill Horne
Moderator

0
bonomi
12/16/2009 12:23:39 AM
Robert Bonomi wrote:
> In article <3f0b2703-971d-4d56-aa0d-eadc662ea061@21g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
>> ***** Moderator's Note *****
>>
>> The moral of this story is that I *KNOW* that somewhere, there is a
>> warehouse full of Teletype machines, packed in Cosmoline, ready to go
>> into service. The "pack rat" nature of techies dictates it, and I'm
>> going on a mission to find them! ;-)
>
> _IF_ there is such a warehouse, you're still gonna be out of luck.
> The techie guarding it is preserving them for telco use, not for
> surplus sales.
>
> *GRIN*
>
> ***** Moderator's Note *****
>
> Nope, I don't believe it. Techies want things to be _used_, not just
> stored, and they'll welcome me when I show up bearing lubricants and
> anti-fungal agents.
>
> Bill Horne
> Moderator

I converted an old power room, [which was] in the basement of a CO, to
keep a stock on the main parts we used in Co Installation - because
the GTE supply system went computer, and it took a week to get
materials to the field, not just one day [as it was] under the old
system.  Over time I [stored] all kinds of stuff, including old SXS
parts which we no longer used (including a test train rack, which I
took home just before I retired).

That room was intact until 2006: ten years after I retired, no one
knew about the room, and in fact no one even knew where the key to it
was.  It was only found when they went to convert that area into CLEC
cages, [and] a friend called me, asking what I know about it since I
ran the room: I was really surprised it was still there.  I went ot
the office and got the key, right where I had left it, and we opened
the room.

It had a couple of inches of dust, but appeared to be the way I left
it.  Most of the parts in there were returned to stock, [put] in
supply, or [sent] to the field, but some of the material was old Step
parts, and [they] were taken by employees who wanted to remember the
old days.  I took some lubs that I wanted for my Test Train and a
couple of switches and parts for them.  I also took an old Microfiche
reader, and the 1996 catalog that went with it.  I also found 6 Apple
II computers that we had used for turning up the GTD 5 switch; the
engineer was an Apple freak, [so] I also got those for my Apple II
collection.

--
The only good spammer is a dead one!!  Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2009 I Kill Spammers, Inc., A Rot in Hell. Co.

0
Steven
12/16/2009 3:05:44 AM
> Unfortunately, private collections are sometimes sadly destroyed as
> this article describes:
>
> http://www.trentonian.com/articles/2009/12/04/news/doc4b1888f3ca007384474191.txt

That was the barn where the RESISTORS computer club met in the 1960s
and 1970s.  See http://www.resistors.org, which happens to be hosted
on the same computer as the digest's mailing list.

Claude, who owned the barn, had collected a great deal of equipment
that had been discarded by Western Electric and NJ Bell, but as he got
old and infirm, he wasn't able to take as good care of it as he'd have
liked.  Back in 1998 most of it was in poor shape, with mice having
chewed through insulation and so forth, and I expect it was in much
worse shape by the time the barn burned down last week.  It was still
a shame for it to go, though.

R's,
John

0
John
12/16/2009 3:39:56 AM
On Dec 14 2009, 2:32�am, Bill Horne <bill.rem...@this-
too.billhorne.homelinux.org> wrote:
> I subscribe to a mailing list for Teletype users, called GREENKEYS.
>
> One of the readers posted a request for info on whether a Model 15
> Teletype is available for purchase, and it got me wondering if any of
> the Digest's readers have knowledge in this area.
>
> Does anyone know of any repository of Teletype machines? I can't help
> but wonder if some Baby Bell has a warehouse full of them, and there's
> a fair number of users who'd be delighted to get at them.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Bill

I have a Model 15 that has been in storage for years.  The plan was to
get it up and running again one day, but given how long I've had it and
not touched it - this is pretty unlikely.

I was thinking of offering it for sale on ebay (having no idea how to
get in touch with a more specific interest group).

The catch is, while it is a black US model (i.e., it needs 110v), it
is located with me, in Australia.

I dont know if these are rare enough that someone would fork out for
the shipping, but if anyone is interested, please contact me.

Thanks,

ben

0
anomalous
2/12/2010 4:22:15 AM
Yes I have 6 or 8 of them. I am located in MN and want to sell them. Please Email

---
frmsrcurl: http://compgroups.net/comp.dcom.telecom/Do-you-know-where-there-are-Teletype-machines-for-sale-Telecom

1
Tim
5/20/2010 3:16:40 AM
Yes I have 6 or 8 of them. I am located in MN and want to sell them. Please Email
0
Tim
5/20/2010 3:16:41 AM
Here is a link to photos of a Teletype Model 15-RO I am selling.  It is a former United Press machine.  http://goo.gl/photos/lu3L

***** Moderator's Note *****

I don't usually run "for sale" posts, but I'm going to make an
exception, since I asked for leads in the first place, and I already
posted the info anyway.

I'm not going to open Pandora's Box: this is a one-time event.

Bill Horne
Moderator

0
Dave
8/1/2010 12:19:31 AM
Here is a link to photos of a Teletype Model 15-RO I am selling.  It is a former United Press machine.  http://goo.gl/photos/lu3L
1
Dave
8/1/2010 12:19:33 AM
I will take the information to the mailing list greenkeys@mailman.qth.net
That is where most of the Teletype enthusiasts hang out.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Thanks, I appreciate that. I tried to subscribe again, but the Mailman
robot doesn't seem to like me anymore.

Bill Horne
Moderator

0
Jim
8/1/2010 2:51:41 AM
On Dec 14 2009, at 2:32 am, Bill Horne said:

> I subscribe to a mailing list for Teletype users, called GREENKEYS.
>
> One of the readers posted a request for info on whether there are any
> Model 15 Teletypes available for purchase, and it got me wondering
> if any of the Digest's readers have knowledge in this area.
>
> Does anyone know of any repository of Teletype machines? I can't help
> but wonder if some Baby Bell has a warehouse full of them, and there's
> a fair number of users who'd be delighted to get at them.
>
> Thanks for your time.

Well, here we go again: I was doing Spring cleaning yesterday, and I
came across a couple of treasures that I had thought were lost. In
that spirit, I'm repeating my 2009 request for information: does
anyone know of any old Teletype machines that are being
stored/sold/given away?

It doesn't matter what model: 14, 15, 19, 28, whatever: *someone* is looking
for it.

Bill Horne

0
Bill
3/9/2011 4:36:59 PM
On Mar 9, 8:36�am, Bill Horne <bill.remove-t...@and-this-
too.horne.net> wrote:
> On Dec 14 2009, at 2:32 am, Bill Horne said:
>
> > I subscribe to a mailing list for Teletype users, called GREENKEYS.
>
> > One of the readers posted a request for info on whether there are any
> > Model 15 Teletypes available for purchase, and it got me wondering
> > if any of the Digest's readers have knowledge in this area.
>
> > Does anyone know of any repository of Teletype machines? I can't help
> > but wonder if some Baby Bell has a warehouse full of them, and there's
> > a fair number of users who'd be delighted to get at them.
>
> > Thanks for your time.
>
> Well, here we go again: I was doing Spring cleaning yesterday, and I
> came across a couple of treasures that I had thought were lost. In
> that spirit, I'm repeating my 2009 request for information: does
> anyone know of any old Teletype machines that are being
> stored/sold/given away?
>
> It doesn't matter what model: 14, 15, 19, 28, whatever: *someone* is
> looking for it.
>
> Bill Horne

I found one on Craigslist in Phoenix, but you will have to pick it up
locally.

You can search the various locales by using Crazedlist.org.

Brad Houser

0
SVU
3/10/2011 2:22:05 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to this site but after reading what's on
here. I have a few teletype machines in my barn not really sure the
condition. Probably 4-5 of them they are older like you used to see in
the movies . I live in Massachusetts if anyone has a use for them I
would rather they not hang around waiting for the barn to fall down
also a lot of ham radio stuff too if anyones interested let me know
thanks

joe

0
Joessassy73
5/5/2011 2:40:50 AM
On Wednesday, May 4, 2011 at 9:40:50 PM UTC-5, Joessassy73 wrote:
> Hello everyone, I am new to this site but after reading what's on
> here. I have a few teletype machines in my barn not really sure the
> condition. Probably 4-5 of them they are older like you used to see
> in the movies . I live in Massachusetts if anyone has a use for them
> I would rather they not hang around waiting for the barn to fall
> down also a lot of ham radio stuff too if anyones interested let me
> know thanks

If you still have any TTY machines or parts, any condition, I'd like to talk.

Tnx

Jess  (at)  acresoflove.com

***** Moderator's Note *****

This post is in response to one from 2011, and I'd usually ask that it
be sent directly to "Joessassy73", but I have a soft spot for Teletype
machines, since I learned to type on a Model 19.

Bill Horne
Moderator
0
alpacas

funny telecom cartoon (telecom) [telecom]
For a bit of telecom humor, see: http://www.gocomics.com/offthemark/2014/02/18 -- Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097 Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67 Canines: Val,Red,Shasta,Zero,Casey & Cinnar (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L Canines: Red & Max (Siberians) Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L ...

[telecom] Need some guidance on telecom easements [Telecom]
> ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > IANAL, and you need a good one, experienced in both easements and > tower leases. Don't go to the local guy: this is an area where new > precedents are being set almost daily, as cell towers and cellular > infrastructure pop up at every streetcorner. You need a firm that > does this all the time. > > You can start by getting some facts by yourself: > > 1. What frequencies will the transmitter(s) operator on? > 2. What company will hold the FCC license? > 3. What are the authorized emission types? &...

Re: [telecom] Do you know a telegraphy expert? [Telecom]
On Friday, October 17, 2008 10:21 AM hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote: >> I'm trying to locate an expert who knows a lot about telegraph >> signalling, especially the technology used during the Civil War. > > Even a 50 year old book may have references to legacy technology. [ ... ] > Indeed, did the technology change that much from the Civil War to WW > I? Perhaps technical books of WW I might serve your need and be > easier to find. When I worked for United Press in Dallas in the 1950s, Western Union still had Morse operators skilled in...

Some Teletype and other teleprinters for sale on Craigslist [telecom]
My previous inquiry has generated a number of leads to teleprinters available on Craigslist: there may be others, but these are what I have now. It looks like spring cleaning is turning up lots of machines. The usual disclaimers apply: I'm not involved with any of these. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/atq/2245013195.html Model 15 call 626 four19 2508 Rosemead, CA $50 http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/sys/2239235263.html Model 33 TWX with sound booth Asking $350 obo Phoenix, wants local pickup http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bks/2232299926.html Leatherbound ma...

Cut Your Telecom Bills [telecom]
There is a good article called "Cut your telecom bills" in the May, 2011 issue of Consumer Reports magazine. There are several parts of it that caught my eye right away: a section titled "Some fiber really isn't", covering some of the physical-layer issues we've been discussing here, and a section on the "Ooma" VoIP service, plus a section on "The benefits of bundling and bargaining". I'm curious what the Digest's readers think about the article. Bill -- Bill Horne (Filter QRM for direct replies) Bill Horne wrote: ...

Telecom News in TELECOM Digest
No offense, but I read other sources of news, and I see the stuff below in several places where it's accurately sorted by topic. I read Telecom Digest to get *telecom* related information, not the latest Dish TV "special" or what Amazon is doing this week. Just a simple comment. -W > Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:10:52 -0500 > From: Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> > Subject: DISH Network $999 HDTV Promo > http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/system/ [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And no offense taken. Monty Solomon is a sort of e...

Telecom in High Art [telecom]
I'm just listening to a classical radio program - this one featuring the modern and rather hard-to-take composer Elliott Carter. He set three of Robert Frost's poems to music, one of them being "The Line Gang" Here come the line-gang pioneering by. They throw a forest down less cut than broken. They plant dead trees for living, and the dead They string together with a living thread. They string an instrument against the sky Wherein words whether beaten out or spoken Will run as hushed as when they were a thought But in no hush they string it: they go past With ...

[telecom]recorded telecom messages
an archive of recorded messages: http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html Dave Garland wrote: > an archive of recorded messages: > http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html > heh heh, those have some humor potential! Rick Merrill wrote: >Dave Garland wrote: >>an archive of recorded messages: >>http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html >> >heh heh, those have some humor potential! Friend of mine had a very realistic sounding ring tone with perfect SIT (tone) sequence and "We're sorry due to call overload, our system ...

[telecom] Harassed by robocalls [Telecom]
On Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:20 PM "Steven Lichter" <diespammers@ikillspammers.com> wrote: [ snip ] > the Golf Course in Lon Beach. What was happening was when the hunt > group was busy the next call would go to another hunt group, which had > out number on it; I would tell them they reached the wrong number, most > were understanding and would try again. I passed the problem to our > customer service office and they contacted the golf course and told > them that they needed to add more numbers to their hunt group because > they w...

Verizon FIOS (telecom) [telecom]
This was originally posted to comp.dcom.telecom.tech in error, it was intended for cdt, so reposting to proper place with some followup added. During the recent FIOS discussion, I had nothing to add, so I didn't. Its been fine since it was installed 2+ years ago. Just recently, I had some issues, and I wanted to pass along what I encountered for the benefit of the group. At first, both wired and wireless went dead. A power cycle fixed it, and the wired connections had no furthur problems. The wireless was not working. The first time or 2 the Verizon "In Home Agent&qu...

[Telecom] Series on Telecom security
Bruce Schneier, who coined the term "Security Theater" and is the author of "Applied Cryptography", publishes a newletter called CRYPTO-GRAM, which I recommend to those who are interested in both cryptography and security issues. The January 15, 2010, issue includes these links: 'A very good four-part series: "Risk and Security in the Telecommunications Industry." ' http://tinyurl.com/yl6pg92 http://tinyurl.com/ykus3fh http://tinyurl.com/ye7qzhv http://tinyurl.com/ykmxam7 The series discusses the issues of survivability and resilience tha...

Need a telecom attorney [Telecom]
I'm looking for an attorney in the Philadelphia area who specializes in land easements. We have a telecom company looking to put some antenna's, and I guess transmitters on our property and want someone to review the agreements. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Michael Muderick ***** Moderator's Note ***** Michael, you're a very wise man. IANAL, and I'm sure the readers will offer suggestions, but let me add these suggestions to get you started: * How many antennas? How man transmitters? (It's NOT a one-to-one relationship!) * For _their_ radi...

Telecom
We Pay You Cash For Your Telecom Equipment Located in Deerfield Beach, Telenet Systems pays top dollar for all types o= f used telephone systems, parts, pieces and data network gear nationwide. T= oday's new business telephone systems are designed to improve communication= , reduce your communication cost and, most importantly, increase productivi= ty. If you're considering upgrading the phone systems in your office, consider = selling them first to Telenet Systems. The company refurbishes and sells a = variety of phone equipment including telephone systems, transmission, swi...

Everything We Know About What Data Brokers Know About You [telecom]
Everything We Know About What Data Brokers Know About You by Lois Beckett ProPublica, March 7, 2013, 9:48 a.m. Data companies are scooping up enormous amounts of information about almost every American. They sell information about whether you're pregnant or divorced or trying to lose weight, about how rich you are and what kinds of cars you have. http://www.propublica.org/article/everything-we-know-about-what-data-brokers-know-about-you -or- http://goo.gl/1pjU4 ...

If You're Happy and You Know It, Must I Know, Too? [telecom]
If You're Happy and You Know It, Must I Know, Too? By JUDITH NEWMAN October 21, 2011 MARY LOU DiNARDO checked three times to make sure: was that a smiley face at the end of the latest e-mail from her most dour client? A West Coast real estate executive, he had an M.B.A. from a prestigious university and was "a very intellectual, serious man," said Ms. DiNardo, president of TK/PR, a public relations firm. "I've been dealing with him for seven years. All of a sudden, while we're discussing problems with a vendor, he's signing off with these sm...

Nice interface to Telecom-Digest [Telecom]
I spent quite a bit of time digging around for the instructions to change my email address on this list. Yesterday, I found: http://lists.services.net/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr/domain=telecom-digest.org For whatever reason, this site made more sense to me than what I found on http://telecom-digest.org Hope this helps someone.... ...

telna / 3U Telecom outage [Telecom]
The following is a email I just received from 3U Telecom, now "telna", concerning a power outage in their long distance service over the preceding day or so (which meant we could send and receive local calls, but long distance calling just seemed to go nowhere). I'm posting it here because of its potential technical interest, but also because its prompt, helpful and informative content seems to be in sharp contrast to the communications difficulties in dealing with other telecom companies that are often reported in this group. --------------------------------- ...

Re: [telecom] Cellphones and driving [Telecom]
In a message dated 7/3/2009 9:15:12 AM Central Daylight Time, sam@coldmail.com writes: > I think a first-rate hands free system, although of some > distraction, is far, far less hazardous than holding a phone to > one's Repeated studies have shown their is no difference in the distraction caused by cellphone to your ear or hands-free. It's apparently the conversation, not the holding of the phone to your ear. Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com Wesrock@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 7/3/2009 9:15:12 AM Central Daylight Time...

Telecom Digest archives questions [TELECOM]
All, I had a discussion tonight with Bill about our archives. As most of you are aware we have long maintained our own set of archives here: http://massis.lcs.mit.edu/telecom-archives/. This forum started in 1981 when Sergey and Larry were doing whatever 8 year-olds did in 1981 and Google Groups did not exist. If we wanted an archive we had to do it ourselves. I can't speak for everyone, but going back and reading the old archives has been like a trip down memory lane. I remember when we had The Phone Company and would wait until 11 PM to call our grandparents to save on to...

Telecom Digest F.A.Q. [telecom]
This is the list of frequently-asked questions for The Telecom Digest, and it is sent to new subscribers automatically. It is also posted in the Digest whenever the contents change, and once per quarter even if the contents have not changed. Q. What is The Telecom Digest? A. The Telecom Digest is the oldest continuously published mailing list on the Internet. It was started before Usenet existed, but is now available via the Usenet group comp.dcom.telecom. Q. Who's in charge? A. The current Moderator is Bill Horne, and you may reach him by sending email to teleco...

[telecom] Enforcing state telecom law
From: John Mayson <john@mayson.us> >On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Steven <diespammers@killspammers.com> wrote: >> And how are they going to enforce their state law from someone >> spoofing who is in India or China? > Simple. They aren't. This is yet another example of a useless piece > of legislation pushed through because the people demand they "do > something". I wonder how many in the state capitol even understood > the technology they were attempting to regulate? They are not going to be able to incarcerate anyone for vi...

Telecom challenge: Hurricane Irene [telecom]
Hurricane Irene is expected to hit the eastern US this weekend with very heavy rains and high winds. Considerable flooding is expected. Also expected are many power failures. This is because the ground is already saturated from recent rain storms, the hurricane will add considerable rain, and high winds will knock many trees into wires. It is expected to take a few days to restore power. It will be interesting to see how the telecom providers react to the storm to keep service running in terms of landlines, cellular, and Internet traffic. Will traditional landline central office...

Telecom Digest Reader Survey [telecom]
An invitation, from the Moderator: > In an effort to improve both the quality of The Telecom Digest and the > skill of its moderator, you are invited to take part in a survey. The > survey results will be used to help guide the Moderator's choices when > he decides what posts are appropriate, and to give him a better idea of > the interests, likes, dislikes, and tastes of the Digest audience. > > The introduction to the survey is somewhat lengthy, but please bear with > it -- you are entitled to know how your responses will be handled, and > that ...

Re: [telecom] 5XB arcana [Telecom]
In a message dated 6/20/2009 2:10:35 AM Central Daylight Time, xanadu.bbs@example.invalid writes: > I visited the CEntral CO in Topeka, Kansas around 1970. That was a > huge Stroger SXS office, with the auxiliary line finders in wooden > cabinets with glass windows. I forget their actual name, but they > appeared to oscillate back and forth, left to right, with contacts > somehow stopping and held to terminals when a subscriber went ROH. Are you sure that those weren't line switches instead of line finders? had some of those in in the office named "North,...

Web resources about - Do you know where there are Teletype machines for sale? [Telecom] - comp.dcom.telecom

Cubic Telecom - Home
... that travels could communicate through mobile technology - but without crippling roaming or network costs. That's the vision which Cubic Telecom ...

Telecom News, Telecom Companies, Telecom Industry - Fierce Telecom
Free Telecom Daily Newsletter Get the latest news on Telcos, Next Generation Networks, Broadband, and other critical service provider topics ...

Home - Global Telecoms Business
Global Telecoms Business is the leading intelligence source for senior managers who run telecoms carriers worldwide. It provides business people, ...

Become a CLEC - ISG-Telecom Consultants - #1 US regulatory firm ISG-Telecom Consultants is the #1 CLEC ...
ISG-Telecom is devoted to creating new CLEC's and IXC's. Turn Key CLEC Strategies with full regulatory filing at the PUC & FCC levels. CLEC legal ...

Telecom Italia - Telecom Italia
Telecom Italia offers infrastructures, platforms and services for mobile and fixed phones, internet, ICT solutions and media content.

Telecompaper – Telecom news and research – News Home
tp:news tp:research tp:events Edition: International Nederlands Log in Register Products 0 Article Binder Telecompaper Loading... 0 Home Mobile ...

Telecompetitor - Providing insight, analysis, and commentary on the evolving telecom competitive landscape ...
U.S. wireless subscriber connections increased 7% between 2010 and 2011 , reaching 331.6 million, according to CTIA - The Wireless Industry Association. ...

Telecom Reseller
The News Source for UC, Cloud, Collaboration and Mobility

Telecoms Korea - Since 2004
Telecoms Korea Since 2004 Contact

Bienvenue sur le site du GER Télécom - GER Télécom
Depuis 1981, plus de 700 contrats ont prouvé notre savoir-faire et ont fait du GER Télécom l'une des grandes Junior-Entreprises françaises. Implantée ...