Don't Call Me, I Won't Call You [telecom]

Don't Call Me, I Won't Call You

By PAMELA PAUL
March 18, 2011

NOBODY calls me anymore - and that's just fine. With the exception of
immediate family members, who mostly phone to discuss medical
symptoms and arrange child care, and the Roundabout Theater
fund-raising team, which takes a diabolical delight in phoning me
every few weeks at precisely the moment I am tucking in my children,
people just don't call.

It's at the point where when the phone does ring - and it's not my
mom, dad, husband or baby sitter - my first thought is: "What's
happened? What's wrong?" My second thought is: "Isn't it weird to
just call like that? Out of the blue? With no e-mailed warning?"

I don't think it's just me. Sure, teenagers gave up the phone call
eons ago. But I'm a long way away from my teenage years, back when
the key rite of passage was getting a phone in your bedroom or (cue
Molly Ringwald gasp) a line of your own.

In the last five years, full-fledged adults have seemingly given up
the telephone - land line, mobile, voice mail and all. According to
Nielsen Media, even on cellphones, voice spending has been trending
downward, with text spending expected to surpass it within three
years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/fashion/20Cultural.html

0
Monty
3/19/2011 9:01:25 PM
comp.dcom.telecom 29624 articles. 1 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow