I'm looking, sigh, yes, for a "ring tone" [telecom]

I was with a group of people and a cell phone "rang". Except
it wasn't one of those trendy tunes. It wasn't even
the Nokia or t-Mobile default.

It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500"
metal-on-metal clapper bell.

(Well, a pretty close facsimile thereof).

The owner had no idea where his phone had gotten it.

I'm now using a Nokia, umm, something or another, which
allows me to add one of these.

Being way past my teenage years I have no idea whatsoever
how to find this tone, and every search I've tried has led
to even more confusion.

Suggestions? Thanks muchly.

(Yes, I know I might have to pay a few dollars for it).

 		     dannyb@panix.com

danny
11/11/2009 7:18:17 PM
comp.dcom.telecom 29624 articles. 1 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow

On 11/11/2009 11:18 AM, danny burstein wrote:
> I was with a group of people and a cell phone "rang". Except
> it wasn't one of those trendy tunes. It wasn't even
> the Nokia or t-Mobile default.
>
> It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500"
> metal-on-metal clapper bell.
>
> I'm now using a Nokia, umm, something or another, which
> allows me to add one of these.
>
> Being way past my teenage years I have no idea whatsoever
> how to find this tone, and every search I've tried has led
> to even more confusion.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks muchly.
>
> (Yes, I know I might have to pay a few dollars for it).

How about free? :-)

A quick Google search found a horribly-long URL to wirelessadvisor.com
which had a thrice larger URL to their free 2500-style ringtone. I
refuse to use tinyurl and similar due to potential security problems,
so I copied the ringtone file and it's here:

<http://thadlabs.com/FILES/WesternElectric2500.mp3> [76KB]

I'm assuming ringtones are MP3s. If not, I have a WAV file on another
(powered-down) computer from which I could retrieve a 500-style ring
file (assuming I'm remembering correctly -- it's been a few years and
that system is running Win2K-SP4).

0
Thad
11/12/2009 8:47:04 PM
danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> writes:
>It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500"
>metal-on-metal clapper bell.
>
>(Well, a pretty close facsimile thereof).

It's one of the default iphone ringtones, and the one I use. I like it when
my phone sounds like a phone. *
--
* PV    Something like badgers, something like lizards, and something
        like corkscrews.

0
pv
11/12/2009 10:29:56 PM
"danny burstein" <dannyb@panix.com> wrote in message
> I was with a group of people and a cell phone "rang". Except
> it wasn't one of those trendy tunes. It wasn't even
> the Nokia or t-Mobile default.
>
> It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500"
> metal-on-metal clapper bell.

[...snip...]

> Being way past my teenage years I have no idea whatsoever
> how to find this tone, and every search I've tried has led
> to even more confusion.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks muchly.

The "classic phone" ringer is standard on all BlackBerries I've had.
If the phone in question was a BlackBerry, the ring tone most likely
came with the phone.  So, one way to get the ring tone is to get a
BlackBerry...

Before my BlackBerry days, I had a Motorola phone that let me use any
MP3 as a ring tone.  I recorded one of my old phones ringer and put it
on the phone.  Maybe you can do that.

If you continue to search, "classic phone" may be the magic search
term.

Good luck,

-Gary

0
Gary
11/13/2009 1:17:30 AM
On Nov 11, 2:18�pm, danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
> It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500"
> metal-on-metal clapper bell.
> Being way past my teenage years I have no idea whatsoever
> how to find this tone, and every search I've tried has led
> to even more confusion.

I simply recorded a telephone ring to use.

My old cellphone allowed me to record my own ring tone:

1) rang a plain telephone (a 302 to be precise),
2) recorded it ringing,  (experiment with where to hold the
cellphone),
3) saved the file,
4) Pointed to that file to be used as the ringtone.

It was certainly not perfect, but better than the default tone.

My new cellphone has a default ring tone that sounds like a modern
(electronic) phone ringing, so that's good enough for me.

To download a professional ringtone, one of the menu selections on the
phone is "Get it Now!" or some fancy title.  Click on that and follow
the menu choices.  I suggest doing it during offpeak hours as you may
get charged for airtime.  Yes, you will have to pay for it, so watch
the prices and options carefully.

0
hancock4
11/13/2009 1:41:28 AM
danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500"
> metal-on-metal clapper bell.

> Being way past my teenage years I have no idea whatsoever how to
> find this tone, and every search I've tried has led to even more
> confusion.

I entered "traditional telephone ring ringtone" into Yahoo and it gave
me a big list of web sites with ring tones for download.  Some even
claim to be free.  I did not venture to any of the sites, but that's
how I'd go about finding it.  And, now that I'm thinking about it I
may try loading it onto one of my cell phones.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

0
ranck
11/13/2009 3:18:12 PM
On 11/12/2009 12:47 PM, Thad Floryan wrote:
> On 11/11/2009 11:18 AM, danny burstein wrote:
>> I was with a group of people and a cell phone "rang". Except
>> it wasn't one of those trendy tunes. It wasn't even
>> the Nokia or t-Mobile default.
>>
>> It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500"
>> metal-on-metal clapper bell.
>>
>> I'm now using a Nokia, umm, something or another, which
>> allows me to add one of these.
>>
>> Being way past my teenage years I have no idea whatsoever
>> how to find this tone, and every search I've tried has led
>> to even more confusion.
>>
>> Suggestions? Thanks muchly.

The search term I used with Google to find the ringtone file named
WesternElectric2500.mp3 was simply "bell 2500 ringtone".  I did it
again today and found the same URL reference(s). Just FYI.

Given the way-too-long URL ...
> [...]
> so I copied the ringtone file and it's here:
>
> <http://thadlabs.com/FILES/WesternElectric2500.mp3> [76KB]

That's a free download in case it wasn't obvious. :-)

I've also since learned that an MP3 is apparently the most common
ringtone file format, but there are others. Though that ringtone works
in my Motorola RAZR V3, the primary ringtone I use sounds more like a
nuclear air raid warning alert -- I need(ed) something that's
different from everything else and that could also be heard over the
noise in a server room.  I may make that WE2500 bell ringtone my new
default since I'm retiring this year and don't/won't need to be able
to answer a phone 24/7/365.  :-)

0
Thad
11/13/2009 9:07:31 PM
"Thad Floryan" <thad@thadlabs.com> wrote in message
>  I may make that WE2500 bell ringtone my new
> default since I'm retiring this year and don't/won't need to be able
> to answer a phone 24/7/365.  :-)

In that case, maybe you should make the "SIT Tone" your ringer.  :-)

-Gary

***** Moderator's Note *****

I want Captain Kirk's communicator sound.

Bill Horne
Moderator

0
Gary
11/14/2009 1:29:14 PM
On Nov 14, 8:29�am, "Gary" <fake-email-addr...@bogus.hotmail.com>
wrote:

> ***** Moderator's Note *****
> I want Captain Kirk's communicator sound.

I think that was only two soft beeps.  I also think it varied by scene
and episode--sometimes the caller's voice came on "Spock to Captain!",
other times it was the beeps.  However, when the flipped the phone
open to make a call, it was a different set of beeps.

That should be easy to make (see above on recording on your own).
Write a simple little QBASIC program to generate the beeps any way
you'd like and record them.   The SOUND instruction plays the pitch
and duration.  With a FOR NEXT loop you can play the "red alert" siren
sound they had.

If you have episodes recorded, play one with a 'red alert' scene, and
record Uhaura or Kirk announcing the red alert.  That would make for
an interesting ring tone, especially in a group of people.  (But it
would probably get tedious after a while.)

0
hancock4
11/14/2009 6:24:55 PM
In article <4AFDCA93.5090004@thadlabs.com>,
Thad Floryan  <thad@thadlabs.com> wrote:
>On 11/12/2009 12:47 PM, Thad Floryan wrote:
>> On 11/11/2009 11:18 AM, danny burstein wrote:
>>> I was with a group of people and a cell phone "rang". Except
>>> it wasn't one of those trendy tunes. It wasn't even
>>> the Nokia or t-Mobile default.
>>>
>>> It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500"
>>> metal-on-metal clapper bell.
>>>
>>> I'm now using a Nokia, umm, something or another, which
>>> allows me to add one of these.
>>>
>>> Being way past my teenage years I have no idea whatsoever
>>> how to find this tone, and every search I've tried has led
>>> to even more confusion.
>>>
>>> Suggestions? Thanks muchly.
>
>The search term I used with Google to find the ringtone file named
>WesternElectric2500.mp3 was simply "bell 2500 ringtone".  I did it
>again today and found the same URL reference(s). Just FYI.
>
>Given the way-too-long URL ...
>> [...]
>> so I copied the ringtone file and it's here:
>>
>> <http://thadlabs.com/FILES/WesternElectric2500.mp3> [76KB]
>
>That's a free download in case it wasn't obvious. :-)
>
>I've also since learned that an MP3 is apparently the most common
>ringtone file format, but there are others. Though that ringtone works
>in my Motorola RAZR V3, the primary ringtone I use sounds more like a
>nuclear air raid warning alert -- I need(ed) something that's
>different from everything else and that could also be heard over the
>noise in a server room.

Now _that_ one sounds "handy" (I can think of a number of 'excuses' :)
were is it available?

0
bonomi
11/14/2009 6:50:20 PM
On 11/14/2009 5:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> "Thad Floryan" <thad@thadlabs.com> wrote in message
>>  I may make that WE2500 bell ringtone my new
>> default since I'm retiring this year and don't/won't need to be able
>> to answer a phone 24/7/365.  :-)
>
> In that case, maybe you should make the "SIT Tone" your ringer.  :-)

I had to scratch my head and do a Google search to figure
out what you meant -- Special Information Tone -- per:

<http://www.sandman.com/sounds/sit.wav> [45 KB]

found at <http://www.sandman.com/taliban.html> (the telemarketer-
stopper website)  :-)

After hearing it, I remembered I have about 30 or so such tone files
on my old Win2K box.  I should put those on my website so they don't
"become lost".

> [...]
> ***** Moderator's Note *****
>
> I want Captain Kirk's communicator sound.

Bill, it's been awhile since I've watched any of those episodes. Is
there a specific episode you recall that has that sound prominently
featured? If so, it'd be trivial to extract the audio to a file ...

***** Moderator's Note *****

I think any star trek would have it: I haven't seen one in years, but
there's probably a copy of it online somewhere.

Bill Horne
Moderator

0
Thad
11/14/2009 7:10:34 PM
hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2:18 pm, danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>>It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500"
>>metal-on-metal clapper bell.
>>Being way past my teenage years I have no idea whatsoever
>>how to find this tone, and every search I've tried has led
>>to even more confusion.
>

> I simply recorded a telephone ring to use.
>
> My old cellphone allowed me to record my own ring tone:
>
> 1) rang a plain telephone (a 302 to be precise),
> 2) recorded it ringing,  (experiment with where to hold the
> cellphone),
> 3) saved the file,
> 4) Pointed to that file to be used as the ringtone.
>
> It was certainly not perfect, but better than the default tone.
>
> My new cellphone has a default ring tone that sounds like a modern
> (electronic) phone ringing, so that's good enough for me.
>

> To download a professional ringtone, one of the menu selections on the
> phone is "Get it Now!" or some fancy title.  Click on that and follow
> the menu choices.  I suggest doing it during offpeak hours as you may
> get charged for airtime.  Yes, you will have to pay for it, so watch
> the prices and options carefully.

And, watch the ringtone scams that sign you up for a $9.95 recurring
charge to your wireless bill as a third-party "provider."  It's the same
as the porn sites work except without the busty girls.

0
Sam
11/15/2009 2:16:34 AM
On 11/14/2009 10:50 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
> In article <4AFDCA93.5090004@thadlabs.com>,
> Thad Floryan  <thad@thadlabs.com> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> the primary ringtone I use sounds more like a
>> nuclear air raid warning alert -- I need(ed) something that's
>> different from everything else and that could also be heard over the
>> noise in a server room.
>
> Now _that_ one sounds "handy" (I can think of a number of 'excuses' :)
> were is it available?

Believe it or not, it was one of the selectable "standard" tones
builtin to the Motorola RAZR V3.

And there is another very obnoxious tone (also builtin) that I use(d)
for incoming email. The reason for that is the ONLY email I would ever
permit to be sent to my phone would be that generated by a server
computer whereever I was employed/contracting to alert me to a power
failure or an overtemperature condition (HVAC failure) in the server
room requiring immediate response.

0
Thad
11/16/2009 7:08:07 PM
The ringtone you're looking for could well be the Nostalgia ringtone.  It
comes standard on more recent Nokia phones.

Liron

"danny burstein" <dannyb@panix.com> wrote in message
>I was with a group of people and a cell phone "rang". Except
> it wasn't one of those trendy tunes. It wasn't even
> the Nokia or t-Mobile default.
>
> It sounded just like... just like... a traditional "Bell 500"
> metal-on-metal clapper bell.
>
> (Well, a pretty close facsimile thereof).
>
> The owner had no idea where his phone had gotten it.
>
> I'm now using a Nokia, umm, something or another, which
> allows me to add one of these.
>
> Being way past my teenage years I have no idea whatsoever
> how to find this tone, and every search I've tried has led
> to even more confusion.
>
> Suggestions? Thanks muchly.
>
> (Yes, I know I might have to pay a few dollars for it).

> Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key
>       dannyb@panix.com
> [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

0
Liron