Re: Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster #3

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 04:49:13 -0400, Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com>
wrote:

> By MATT RICHTEL and JOHN MARKOFF

> Mr. Tucker, an Internet industry executive who holds a Ph.D. in
> computer science, decided that rather than take the time to remove the
> offending software, he would spend $400 on a new machine.

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And how long do they have those _new_
> machines until they also get polluted and have to be replaced? [...]

If he spends that $400 (actually, $499 or so) on a Mac Mini, he can
probably go for a good long time. There are no known viruses on OS/X.

I don't know if anything bad can happen from using IE on the Mac; I
don't believe so. Safari is not perfect, but it works just fine for
almost all of my browsing. One thing I like in Safari: there is a
pull-down option in Safari for resetting *everything*: cache, cookies,
etc. I do this periodically -- I like to flush all my cookies
periodically just as a regular practice.

The only real software people will need in general is Office 2004. For
most, the student edition should work just fine for their home needs.
If there is not a lot of need for compatibility, the $80 iWork package
(Presentation software + Apple word processor) should work just fine.
The main thing lacking in iWork is a spreadsheet; Apple should address
that in the next release.

With the dropping cost of hardware, more and more people should
clearly look at this option. As an aside, I've been surprised that
Apple hasn't been more aggressive in getting the Mac Mini into Kinkos
stores so people can "test drive" them there. The current Apple
machines in Kinkos stores are crappy old G3 machines. According to the
local Kinkos shop, Dell has been very aggressive getting their
machines in Kinkos stores. Apple: are you listening?

--phil

0
Phil
7/19/2005 6:57:17 AM
comp.dcom.telecom 29623 articles. 2 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow