Re: Don't Call. Don't Write. Let Me Be. #3

On Jan 22, 1:01 pm, DevilsPGD <spam_narf_s...@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> In message <telecom26.22...@telecom-digest.org>:
> Not so much that they get away with it, paying the fines is just a
> cost of business.

The vast, vast majority of the consumers will not go to the trouble of
carefully tracking and reporting illegal solicitation calls.  So the
solicitors never get into trouble in the first place and thus there is
no fine.

They use techniques that mask their caller-ID.  VOIP carrier?.
"Fly-by-night" long distance carrier that simply doesn't pass along the
data?

Even if a consumer does report a complaint, the authorities only act
upon receiving a great many complaints that are solidly substantiated.
Again, the chance that will happen is very small.

It was a common trick in the old days for scammers to rent a storefront
and fake a busy business, do their thing for a few months, then take
off before the victims and authorities could react.  By the time they
do, they only find an empty store, the criminals are long gone.

In the modern world, it's a lot easier, no physical property (and
expense) is required.  Just create a website or telephone carrier,
which thanks to deregulation and our beloved "open world*" is very
easy to do.  Remember the problem with illegal long distance carrier
switching?

*See Pat's comments on this in a separate post issued today.

In my opinion, the problems we have today result from the lingering
"anti-Bell" attitude some people have.  Note the caustic response to me
not long ago from one poster claiming the baby-Bells still had a
monopoly.  This attitude resulted in a "wide open" policy for the
Internet and the telephone system.  The problem was that criminals take
quick advantage of this.  It's made all the worse since this is an
intangible service where there's no physical presence or controls.

In the tangible real world, we still require new businesses to meet all
the laws and regulations to protect the public, yet we exempt new
Internet and telephone providers because we want "competition".  Do we
exempt a brand new restaurant from the health code because we want a
new choice to eat out?  (I guess some people think we should.)

[public replies, please]

[ TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I am getting sort of ambivilent on the
'Network Neutrality' issue. Just wait until the 'time out period'
agreed to by Bell expires in a couple years. Very few of these fool
spammer/scammers will be able to afford AT&T's prices for fast
network connectivity.  PAT]

0
hancock4
1/24/2007 4:07:44 PM
comp.dcom.telecom 29624 articles. 1 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow

Re: Don't Call. Don't Write. Let Me Be.
Monty Solomon wrote: > YOUR MONEY > Don't Call. Don't Write. Let Me Be. > By DAMON DARLIN > The fears of the direct marketing industry came true. Once a > do-not-call list was created, people did register, in droves. Unfortunately, there are too many exceptions. Non-profit organizations and politicians can still make unwanted soliciting calls and they do so in droves. Past contacts may call as well, and "past contact" is a very loose definition. Some callers simply disregard the law, knowing they'll get away with it. ...

Re: Don't Call. Don't Write. Let Me Be. #2
In message <telecom26.22.10@telecom-digest.org> hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote: > Some callers simply disregard the law, knowing they'll get away with it. Not so much that they get away with it, paying the fines is just a cost of business. 'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never have snipped at all. [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The fines should increase each time they are imposed until the company could no longer afford the cost. PAT] ...

Don't Call. Don't Write. Let Me Be.
YOUR MONEY Don't Call. Don't Write. Let Me Be. By DAMON DARLIN The fears of the direct marketing industry came true. Once a do-not-call list was created, people did register, in droves. The list was created in 2003, not as a way to protect privacy, but to remove a powerful irritant from the lives of Americans. The Federal Trade Commission, which administers the list, says that more than 137 million phone numbers have been placed on the list by people tired of interruptions during dinner or their favorite TV show. The popularity of the do-not-call list unleashed a demand for other opt-out lists. A consumer can now opt out of the standard practice of their banks or loan companies selling their information to others. Other opt-outs stop credit card companies from soliciting consumers or end the flow of junk mail and catalogs. While most of the opt-outs are intended to make life less annoying, they can also have the side effect of protecting personal information that can be misused by identity thieves or unscrupulous merchants. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/20/business/20money.html?ex=1326949200&en=3efc9e8515a9ea4a&ei=5090 ...

AOL 9.0 don't do it just don't . Don't even think of it.
I had 8.0, and it ran fine. I downloaded 9.0 and that was the end of my computer never having a problem. 3 years and no problems. 1 week with AOL 9.0 and I've had 27 error messages , sign offs and other problems. AOL was no help. They can't even admit it has a problem. So I had to REFORMAT MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALL ALL MY PROGRAMS AND ALL MY SAVED FILES. Needless to say I no longer have AOL at all. Reformat and get rid of it. ...

Don't Call Me, I Won't Call You [telecom]
Don't Call Me, I Won't Call You By PAMELA PAUL March 18, 2011 NOBODY calls me anymore - and that's just fine. With the exception of immediate family members, who mostly phone to discuss medical symptoms and arrange child care, and the Roundabout Theater fund-raising team, which takes a diabolical delight in phoning me every few weeks at precisely the moment I am tucking in my children, people just don't call. It's at the point where when the phone does ring - and it's not my mom, dad, husband or baby sitter - my first thought is: "What's...

I sell various items for Amiga on EBAY, if you don't agree don't read and don't break my balls, understand mr. user?
See on this link: http://search.ebay.it/_W0QQsassZmousemikiQQhtZ-1 P.s. not all items are for Amiga, simple don't see others! ...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

don't like, so don't waste your time thinking and buy them. You know, if you don't like one thing, it means nothing for you.</p>

Re: Do this. Don't do that. Can't you read the signs? #3
Excel?? word processor? There are pencils and paper sheets! Good enough for storing text and calculate everything what's needed! What? They need word processors and Excel to produce pencils and paper??? Ok, stones, chisel and hammer!! Or ropes with hitchs ... You see, there is a solution - unfortunately it might not fit to the problem... I use the best tools with certainly the best methods (I'm really sure!), but I've got still no solution! Think I have to come back on monday and continue trying... Have a nice weekend! Gerhard On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:30:51 -0400, Nathaniel W...

Re: AOL 9.0 Don't do it, Don't Even Think of it.
In a message dated 11/14/03 11:01:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, whorunwerun@aol.com (whorunwerun) wrote: > I had 8.0, and it ran fine. I downloaded 9.0 and that was the end of > my computer never having a problem. 3 years and no problems. 1 week > with AOL 9.0 and I've had 27 error messages , sign offs and other > problems. > AOL was no help. They can't even admit it has a problem. So I had to > REFORMAT MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALL ALL MY PROGRAMS AND ALL MY SAVED > FILES. Needless to say I no longer have AOL at all. Reformat and get > rid of it. ...

Don't keep the .O's but Don't make everytime
I wish to make a executable from the prog1.c or the s.prog1.c files. And don't create the prog1.o files and certainly don't save them. Also, when I remake the module it would ONLY be remade if the s.prog1.c or prog1.c have been modified. I'm having little luck with this. Can anyone put some light on this issue? ...

GUI question
I am writing an application with multiple windows. I want the main window to open first. Then I want the user to be able to interact with this main window (via uicontrols). I want plots to be drawn in this main window, etc. Sometimes dialogs and other windows will be opened, but the main window should always remain open. I think this is the default behavior... When I try to run my program, the figure's OpeningFcn is called, initialize_gui is called, the main gui window is created and displayed and my uicontrols work. But, rmappdata in gui_mainfcn is immediately called and the handle to my...

Don't ask, don't tell...
While my son visited me for the day, after we went to the Hawks-Giants game and then to see Harry Potter he was still awake (12 years old) and so I put him in front of my Suse 10.0 machine and let him play Unreal Tournament 2004 in Linux. I let him set up the machine in Control Center first (he's a right hander and I'm a leftie), using KDE Control center, and then had him launch and run UT2004. I did't say anything about this being a Linux machine and I have no idea if he knows what Linux is even. I was about to "give the speech about Linux" and I decided, no, I woul...

don't tell don't ask
I'm still struggling with OO concepts. I've read several books and studied various OO languages, but I don't really feel I have a good grasp of the concepts. I like the sound of the "tell, don't ask" model, where networks of objects are asked to perform the work they are responsible for, rather than asking objects to give you information (like a string) that you do something with. But, I get confused when I try to apply the idea to a program design. The only way I can think of avoiding asking objecs for information is if the program consists of nothing but one objec...

Lotus Notes: Don't Pass, Don't Pay! That's our Certification Guarantee.
Study with CertFX, the leader in Lotus, WebSphere and WebSphere Portal Certification practice tests. With CertFX practice tests, all purchases are available for immediate download. You also receive free support, lifetime maintenance and real-time updates with your purchase. CertFX has all Domino 8, WebSphere and WebSphere Portal practice tests available. We are fanatical about updating our content to ensure we provide you with the best, most accurate study materials on the market. Get started on your recertification today by visiting: http://www.dominonews.com/homepage.nsf...

Lotus Notes: Don't Pass, Don't Pay! That's our Certification Guarantee.
Study with CertFX, the leader in Lotus, WebSphere and WebSphere Portal Certification practice tests. With CertFX practice tests, all purchases are available for immediate download. You also receive free support, lifetime maintenance and real-time updates with your purchase. CertFX has all Domino 8, WebSphere and WebSphere Portal practice tests available. We are fanatical about updating our content to ensure we provide you with the best, most accurate study materials on the market. Get started on your recertification today by visiting: http://www.dominonews.com/homepage.nsf...

Muslim terror in Boston : Don't buy Crysis 3, don't buy Far Cry
Hi, if you buy Crysis 3 or Far Cry, you are supporting international terrorism like the attack in Boston, for which Al Qaeda is responsible. Crytek has been founded by Turkish muslim scum and they are supporting international terrorism like all muslims. So better buy a real gun today and shoot a muslim man, woman or child in the name of JESUS CHRIST! -F.R. > "ForerverRent" wrote > if you buy Crysis 3 or Far Cry, you are supporting international terrorism > like the attack in Boston, for which Al Qaeda is responsible. > Crytek has been fou...

Linux crapware victim: Mepis8 'collapsed'... webcams don't work on Ubuntu 12.04..."Don't tell me to build a kernel..."
"I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike). I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked from the off. lovely!! Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve the problem, but nothing works. I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but it's far from what I need. ...

Re: let's call inside the distant windows, but don't taste the smart cars UXPWuehMs2y
you familiarly waste to Patty when the bad pools expect among the brave window 3j0t5Za4GNUbF better attack printers now or Ken will virtually cover them between you Vi1kWcNu49mKA are you glad, I mean, moving beside inner kettles XFWV7odD1CQ9 ...

Do You Want To Know For Sure That You Are Going To Heaven? The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is #3
The reason some people don't know for sure if they are going to Heaven when they die is because they just don't know. The good news is that you can know for sure that you are going to Heaven which is described in the Holy Bible as a beautiful place with no death, sorrow, sickness or pain. God tells us in the Holy Bible how simple it is to be saved so that we can live forever with Him in Heaven. "For if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you WILL BE SAVED." (Romans 10:9) Over 2000 years ago God came from ...

[...]

Web resources about - Re: Don't Call. Don't Write. Let Me Be. #3 - comp.dcom.telecom