Re: The Telecom Digest (1 messages) [TELECOM]

> Per T:
>>> It's not going to happen. Most phone services allow call-block now. And
>>> on my phone I use Blacklist for Android - MetroPCS wants to charge me a
>>> buck a month for phone block. A $2 app does it forever and I don't need
>>> to pay MetroPCS for the privilege.
>> But don't Call-Block services depend on a blacklist?  If so, who
>> maintains the blacklist?
>>
>> What data does the Android app work from?   Does it just block
>> anything where the calling number is not in your phonebook?
> No, you can tell the Blacklist application what numbers to block. I
> quite like it as when you want to add it'll go into the phone call log
> and let you choose a number.

There is a similar program for Blackberry, I use iBlocker Pro on mine.
It will reject calls (either dump straight to voicemail or auto-answer
and hang up on the call) and reply to texts from blocked numbers too
with your own "custom" message.
0
Chris
8/1/2012 4:12:43 PM
comp.dcom.telecom 29624 articles. 1 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow

Re: The Telecom Digest (16 messages) [telecom]
Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:23:21 -0400 Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> noted the article: <<Smartphones encourage mobile user churn Owners of high end handsets are the least loyal, bad news for AT&T CAROLINE GABRIEL Published: 22 September, 2010 High end smartphones not only bring operators' networks crashing down with their high rates of data consumption, but they breed fickle consumers who will worsen churn levels, especially as users get more hostile to two-year contract lock-ins. The downside of the smartphone boom is highlighted in a survey by Nokia Siemen...

funny telecom cartoon (telecom) [telecom]
For a bit of telecom humor, see: http://www.gocomics.com/offthemark/2014/02/18 -- Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097 Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67 Canines: Val,Red,Shasta,Zero,Casey & Cinnar (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L Canines: Red & Max (Siberians) Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L ...

Telecom News in TELECOM Digest
No offense, but I read other sources of news, and I see the stuff below in several places where it's accurately sorted by topic. I read Telecom Digest to get *telecom* related information, not the latest Dish TV "special" or what Amazon is doing this week. Just a simple comment. -W > Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:10:52 -0500 > From: Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> > Subject: DISH Network $999 HDTV Promo > http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/system/ [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And no offense taken. Monty Solomon is a sort of e...

[TELECOM] Re: TELECOM Re: Wireless and 911.
-------------------------------1188482645 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In a message dated 29 Aug 2007 14:50:20 -0700, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com writes: > So I assume all land line phones now support 911. Some places took a > while to go over to it. It's challenging because phoneco exchange > boundaries often don't match public service boundaries. Further, > local fire/police/resuce each may have their own service boundaries. > (In my town the police is very local but the fire is regiona...

[telecom]recorded telecom messages
an archive of recorded messages: http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html Dave Garland wrote: > an archive of recorded messages: > http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html > heh heh, those have some humor potential! Rick Merrill wrote: >Dave Garland wrote: >>an archive of recorded messages: >>http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html >> >heh heh, those have some humor potential! Friend of mine had a very realistic sounding ring tone with perfect SIT (tone) sequence and "We're sorry due to call overload, our system ...

[telecom] Need some guidance on telecom easements [Telecom]
> ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > IANAL, and you need a good one, experienced in both easements and > tower leases. Don't go to the local guy: this is an area where new > precedents are being set almost daily, as cell towers and cellular > infrastructure pop up at every streetcorner. You need a firm that > does this all the time. > > You can start by getting some facts by yourself: > > 1. What frequencies will the transmitter(s) operator on? > 2. What company will hold the FCC license? > 3. What are the authorized emission types? &...

Re: [telecom] Re: TELECOM Re: Analog cell phone equipment
In <fdhodd$gni$1@reader1.panix.com> "Herb Oxley" <nospam4me@trashymail.com> writes: >hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote: >[in part] >> Later on more modern phones were placed in Amtrak and commuter >> trains. Metro North had a big push to have a phone on every train >> which was completed just before personal cell phones became >> widespread. The original Metroliner (and prior 1948 train phones) >> used real phone booths, later units had a phone but no booth, so >> everyone could hear and be disturbed by your call, just like ...

Re: [telecom] GSM-only interference [Telecom]
In a message dated 8/7/2009 2:13:36 PM Central Daylight Time, thad@thadlabs.com writes: > But the finger is pointing at GSM as the culprit. Though I realize > the GSM interference isn't a life-threatening situation (hmmm, what > about being in a hospital?), I thought consumer appliances are not > supposed to be causing such interference. I was in the hospital a few months ago and using my AT&T phone. So were many of my visitors. Others I have no idea what carrier/system they were using but I know some of them were ATM. Nurses and others called and answered...

Nice interface to Telecom-Digest [Telecom]
I spent quite a bit of time digging around for the instructions to change my email address on this list. Yesterday, I found: http://lists.services.net/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr/domain=telecom-digest.org For whatever reason, this site made more sense to me than what I found on http://telecom-digest.org Hope this helps someone.... ...

Telecom Digest Reader Survey [telecom]
An invitation, from the Moderator: > In an effort to improve both the quality of The Telecom Digest and the > skill of its moderator, you are invited to take part in a survey. The > survey results will be used to help guide the Moderator's choices when > he decides what posts are appropriate, and to give him a better idea of > the interests, likes, dislikes, and tastes of the Digest audience. > > The introduction to the survey is somewhat lengthy, but please bear with > it -- you are entitled to know how your responses will be handled, and > that ...

Re: [telecom] Goodbye to copper? [Telecom]
In a message dated 6/25/2009 10:57:30 PM Central Daylight Time, dcstar@myrealbox.com writes: > Yep, but that is essentially a political decision and highlights > that such things hold back the use of potentially better > technologies. > > You have to wonder if the costs of the newer technologies (in the > long-term) would drop if they were to totally replace the older > incumbent. > > The issue (I suppose) is that by tying up old ways of doing things - > either by fixed rates or just our attitudes of resisting change - we > miss out on the bene...

Digium Responses for Telecom Digest [Telecom]
Moderator's Note: After a recent thread that brought up the subject of Asterisk PBX's, I decided to get some more information to share with the readers. I wrote to Digium sales, and submitted a list of questions. Herewith, the answers from Digium: because their response contained Microsoft character remnants, I had to redo the numbering. I also repositioned some questions and answers to make the topics more clear: any confusion is my fault. Bill Horne Temporary Moderator - - - - - - - - - Subject: Digium Responses for Telecom Digest Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 16...

Telecom Digest archives questions [TELECOM]
All, I had a discussion tonight with Bill about our archives. As most of you are aware we have long maintained our own set of archives here: http://massis.lcs.mit.edu/telecom-archives/. This forum started in 1981 when Sergey and Larry were doing whatever 8 year-olds did in 1981 and Google Groups did not exist. If we wanted an archive we had to do it ourselves. I can't speak for everyone, but going back and reading the old archives has been like a trip down memory lane. I remember when we had The Phone Company and would wait until 11 PM to call our grandparents to save on to...

Re: [telecom] Paper Is Out, Cellphones Are In [Telecom]
johnl@iecc.com (John Levine) wrote: |There's two separate issues. One is electronic payment, the other is |tracking. It's really true that ETC* is faster and cheaper, |particularly when they've installed equipment that allows toll |collection as people drive by at full speed. Most of the turnpike gates in Oklahoma are intended to be passed at full speed. One near Newcastle, Oklahoma, has a sign "Ramp Speed 75." That's one where the lanes diverge and the non-cash lanes are to the side of the through (cash) lanes. Most other places the reade...

Telecom Digest F.A.Q. [telecom]
This is the list of frequently-asked questions for The Telecom Digest, and it is sent to new subscribers automatically. It is also posted in the Digest whenever the contents change, and once per quarter even if the contents have not changed. Q. What is The Telecom Digest? A. The Telecom Digest is the oldest continuously published mailing list on the Internet. It was started before Usenet existed, but is now available via the Usenet group comp.dcom.telecom. Q. Who's in charge? A. The current Moderator is Bill Horne, and you may reach him by sending email to telecomdigestmoderator.atsign.telecom-digest.org. (The part that says ".atsign." will, of course, be replaced by the "@" symbol in all examples shown in this f.a.q.) Q. How do I subscribe? A. If you want to receive The Telecom Digest via email, send a "plain text" email message to majordomo.atsign.telecom-digest.org, with the command "subscribe telecom" in the BODY of the message. (The subject line will be ignored.) You may choose to receive posts in a daily digest, with all the posts for the day included in a single email, or you may choose to have each post sent to your email address as soon as it is approved: digest mode is the default, but if you prefer individual email, use the command "subscribe-set telecom each" instead. If you want to subscribe an address OTHER THAN the one you are ...

Telecom Digest Info file [telecom]
This is the "Info" document for The Telecom Digest. It is sent automatically to new subscribers, and posted occasionally in the Digest. The Telecom Digest is an electronic magazine, or e-zine, devoted mostly to telecommunications, and mostly to the Companies, technology, regulations, politics, and people that affect, create, maintain, and govern the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) of the world. This is, as the above paragraph no doubt implies, much easier to _do_ than to _explain_. We cover any subject that's related to the telephone network, including Voice-Over-Internet-Protocol (VoIP), Cellular telephones, Air-to-ground telephone service, ship-to-shore telephone connections, and even an occasional story about the old manual world or the earlier generations of electro-mechanical Central Office telephone switches. The Telecom Digest isn't just about technology: it's about the way that telephones shape our lives, and the ways that governments and corporations and individuals shape the telephones and the networks that make them work. No matter what area of telecommunications you are interested in, the odds are that you can contribute knowledge and opinions about the PSTN to The Telecom Digest. There are very few areas of life that aren't affected by phones, and we welcome everyone who is willing to help and to abide by the rules. The Telecom Digest moderator is Bill Horne, and he lives in the United States....

Re: [telecom] Cellphones and driving [Telecom]
In a message dated 7/3/2009 9:15:12 AM Central Daylight Time, sam@coldmail.com writes: > I think a first-rate hands free system, although of some > distraction, is far, far less hazardous than holding a phone to > one's Repeated studies have shown their is no difference in the distraction caused by cellphone to your ear or hands-free. It's apparently the conversation, not the holding of the phone to your ear. Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com Wesrock@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 7/3/2009 9:15:12 AM Central Daylight Time...

Re: [telecom] 5XB arcana [Telecom]
In a message dated 6/20/2009 2:10:35 AM Central Daylight Time, xanadu.bbs@example.invalid writes: > I visited the CEntral CO in Topeka, Kansas around 1970. That was a > huge Stroger SXS office, with the auxiliary line finders in wooden > cabinets with glass windows. I forget their actual name, but they > appeared to oscillate back and forth, left to right, with contacts > somehow stopping and held to terminals when a subscriber went ROH. Are you sure that those weren't line switches instead of line finders? had some of those in in the office named "North,...

Re: [telecom] When Texting Is Wrong [Telecom]
In a message dated 7/18/2009 9:44:10 AM Central Daylight Time, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com writes: > My feeling is that automation must make things better for the customer > than they were before. The usual result nowadays is that it is done to make things better for the company, not the customer. -- Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com ...

Re: [telecom] Payphones Re: ANI vs. Caller ID [Telecom]
In a message dated 6/3/2009 1:08:55 AM Central Daylight Time, PmUiRsGcE.TtHlEvSpE@att.net writes: 800 free 411 (800 3733411) ; 800 411 free (800 3733411) ; 800 goog 411 (800 4664411) ; 800 411 goog (800 41146 --------------------------------Reply------------------------------- Most of them use voice recognition software, and I never could get the software to understand a relative named Dzierla. Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 06:12:35 -0400, <Wesrock@aol.com> wrote: > In a message dated 6/3/2009 1:08:55 AM Ce...

Re: CO backup power (was Re: [telecom] FiOS in MDU Buildings [Telecom]
In a message dated 5/9/2009 8:54:13 AM Central Daylight Time, jt@jt-mj.net writes: > IIRC ESS1 (Morris Ill.) had minimal batteries, and a system that was > supposed to start the diesels within 1/3 sec after a primary power > failure. Several seconds--maybe a minute or more--are required for sirens or horns to notify persons near a generator that it is getting ready to autostart. No way it could start in 1/3 sec. Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com In article <c74.4ecffdbb.373779df@aol.com>, Wesrock@aol.com says... > > In a message...

Re: CO backup power (was Re: [telecom] FiOS in MDU Buildings [Telecom]
In a message dated 5/10/2009 7:44:49 PM Central Daylight Time, hitchhiker@dont.panic writes: > Ahem. No battery is designed to float. They are designed to > provide power ... and float when not doing that. I worked in those > offices for 25 years and I assure you that their capacity to provide > that power WAS tested regularly. Usually [they were tested] every Wednesday morning at 8 a.m. In autostart offices, the commercial power was disconnected automatically to make sure the automatic transfer system and autostart system were working right, as well as makin...

Re: [telecom] Cellphones and driving [Telecom] #2
In a message dated 7/27/2009 9:07:14 PM Central Daylight Time, Wesrock@aol.com writes: > ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > They could install high-speed readers for cars with transponders, and > promote the service and the time saved in the 'Fly By' lane. That > would cost very little in relative terms, especially compared to the > value of the time wasted by all those motorists. I had not really considered that they did not have transponders since they have been used on all the toll roads I have driven on in Kansas, Oklahoma or Texas...

Re: [telecom] Cellphones and driving [Telecom] #2
In a message dated 7/27/2009 9:26:44 AM Central Daylight Time, kd1s.nospam@cox.nospam.net writes: > Doesn't take much to slow down traffic. On a recent road trip to North > Carolina I noted traffic jams most often occured near toll booths. About > 4 miles out you'd come to a complete standstill and then inch your way > to the tolls. > > They have to do something about that. It would cost money--more toll booths, more toll takers. Many things people think something ought to be done about never do get done, especially if the state or turnpike au...

Web resources about - Re: The Telecom Digest (1 messages) [TELECOM] - comp.dcom.telecom

Cubic Telecom - Home
... that travels could communicate through mobile technology - but without crippling roaming or network costs. That's the vision which Cubic Telecom ...

Telecom News, Telecom Companies, Telecom Industry - Fierce Telecom
FierceTelecom is the leading telecom news source for Telcos and telecom industry insiders. Get updated on top telecom companies, NGN, WiMAX, ...

Home - Global Telecoms Business
Global Telecoms Business is the leading intelligence source for senior managers who run telecoms carriers worldwide. It provides business people, ...

Become a CLEC - ISG-Telecom Consultants - #1 US regulatory firm ISG-Telecom Consultants is the #1 CLEC ...
ISG-Telecom is devoted to creating new CLEC's and IXC's. Turn Key CLEC Strategies with full regulatory filing at the PUC & FCC levels. CLEC legal ...

Telecom Italia - Telecom Italia
Telecom Italia offers infrastructures, platforms and services for mobile and fixed phones, internet, ICT solutions and media content.

Telecompaper – Telecom news and research – News Home
tp:news tp:research tp:events Edition: International Nederlands Log in Register Products 0 Article Binder Telecompaper Loading... 0 Home Mobile ...

Telecompetitor - Providing insight, analysis, and commentary on the evolving telecom competitive landscape ...
With shipments of residential gateways rising but revenue dropping, service providers are looking to expand beyond traditional triple play services, ...

Telecom Reseller - The Voice of Unified Communication and Collaboration
The Voice of Unified Communication and Collaboration

Telecoms Korea - Since 2004
Telecoms Korea Since 2004 Contact

Bienvenue sur le site du GER Télécom - GER Télécom
Depuis 1981, plus de 700 contrats ont prouvé notre savoir-faire et ont fait du GER Télécom l'une des grandes Junior-Entreprises françaises. Implantée ...