Straight Talk by Tracfone [Telecom]

I have recently come across Straight Talk by Tracfone in my local  Wal-Mart
store.  They are advertising an unlimited everything rate plan for around
$45.

Since I live in a rural  area of Virginia, and my service options are
extremely limited, this appeals to me. However, I am leery of purchasing
this phone because I can not find a coverage map on their web site nor
within their in-store brochures.  Their brochures say that they are on "One
of Americans best networks"..

Anyone have any idea what wireless provider they are acting as an MVNO for?

0
Thomas
11/15/2009 6:51:04 PM
comp.dcom.telecom 29624 articles. 1 followers. nmclain (7) is leader. Post Follow

Thomas H Ward <thomas.h.ward@live.com> wrote:

> Since I live in a rural  area of Virginia, and my service options are
> extremely limited, this appeals to me. However, I am leery of purchasing
> this phone because I can not find a coverage map on their web site nor
> within their in-store brochures.  Their brochures say that they are on "One
> of Americans best networks"..

I had one a few years ago and it pretty much worked everywhere.  They seem
to have reciprocal agreements with all the big players.  Mine worked in and
around Blacksburg, Va. where I live, and when a friend and I rode our
motorcycles out ot Sturgis, SD it worked everywhere there was a signal.

> Anyone have any idea what wireless provider they are acting as an MVNO for?

I think they home to Verizon when there is a choice, but as I said, mine
worked pretty much anyplace that had signal.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

0
ranck
11/20/2009 7:55:37 PM
ranck@vt.edu writes:

[Tracfone service area]

Tracfone is a reseller; they buy into various networks, depending on
where you are. That is reflected in which flavor phone is sold in your
area.

David
11/21/2009 2:29:58 PM
>> Anyone have any idea what wireless provider they are acting as an MVNO for?

The network they use varies from one part of the country to another.
If you can look inside the back of the phone, it's probably AT&T if
there's a SIM chip, and Verizon if not.

Note that GSM phones do not work on CDMA networks and vice versa, so
your phone will use the network it's built for no matter where in
the country you go.

R's,
John

0
John
11/21/2009 2:34:37 PM
Since Southern Maryland is Verizon dominated, Tracfone works very well in most of Maryland. Western MD is iffy mostly because of hill blockage.

 Mark L. Smith http://smith.freehosting.net

________________________________
> Since I live in a rural  area of Virginia, and my service options are
> extremely limited, this appeals to me. However, I am leery of purchasing
> this phone because I can not find a coverage map on their web site nor
> within their in-store brochures.  Their brochures say that they are on "One
> of Americans best networks"..

I had one a few years ago and it pretty much worked everywhere.  They seem
to have reciprocal agreements with all the big players.  Mine worked in and
around Blacksburg, Va. where I live, and when a friend and I rode our
motorcycles out ot Sturgis, SD it worked everywhere there was a signal.

> Anyone have any idea what wireless provider they are acting as an MVNO for?

I think they home to Verizon when there is a choice, but as I said, mine
worked pretty much anyplace that had signal.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

0
Mark
11/21/2009 7:28:59 PM
ranck@vt.edu wrote:
> Thomas H Ward <thomas.h.ward@live.com> wrote:
>
>> Since I live in a rural  area of Virginia, and my service options are
>> extremely limited, this appeals to me. However, I am leery of
>> purchasing this phone because I can not find a coverage map on their
>> web site nor within their in-store brochures.  Their brochures say
>> that they are on "One of Americans best networks"..
>
> I had one a few years ago and it pretty much worked everywhere.  They
> seem to have reciprocal agreements with all the big players.  Mine
> worked in and around Blacksburg, Va. where I live, and when a friend
> and I rode our motorcycles out ot Sturgis, SD it worked everywhere
> there was a signal.
>
>> Anyone have any idea what wireless provider they are acting as an
>> MVNO for?
>
> I think they home to Verizon when there is a choice, but as I said,
> mine worked pretty much anyplace that had signal.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Mine has worked in just about any place I've tried it so far, rural as well
as in major cities.

I recently heard a radio advertisement from I believe a Dollar General store
that had a TracFone, model unknown by me, that included double minutes for
life of the phone with a starting price of $10.  At that price I'm thinking
of buying one as a backup and activating it only if my present one drops
into something wet unexpectedly...

They will transfer an existing TracFone number to a new phone provided you
call the service desk before you even try to activate the new phone
yourself.

0
GlowingBlueMist
11/21/2009 8:42:16 PM
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:51:04 -0500, "Thomas H Ward"
<thomas.h.ward@live.com> wrote:

>Anyone have any idea what wireless provider they are acting as an MVNO for?

Last time I played around with TracFone they wre a MVNO for AT&T
Mobility (formerly Cingular Wireless). This may have changed in recent
history, but as of a few months ago, my Motorola C155 was GSM on AT&T.

Dave

0
Diamond
11/21/2009 11:16:36 PM
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:34:37 -0500, John Levine <johnl@iecc.com> wrote:

>>> Anyone have any idea what wireless provider they are acting as an MVNO
for?

> The network they use varies from one part of the country to another.
> If you can look inside the back of the phone, it's probably AT&T if
> there's a SIM chip, and Verizon if not.
>
> Note that GSM phones do not work on CDMA networks and vice versa, so
> your phone will use the network it's built for no matter where in
> the country you go.
>
> R's,
> John

As far as you know, John (or anyone), will TracFone give you the
subsidy-SIM-unlock code for one of their SIM-based GSM handsets (after
a suitable time interval as customer, perhaps)?

TIA. Cheers, -- tlvp
--
Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP

0
tlvp
12/7/2009 2:15:17 AM
> As far as you know, John (or anyone), will TracFone give you the
> subsidy-SIM-unlock code for one of their SIM-based GSM handsets
> (after a suitable time interval as customer, perhaps)?

No, they will not.  Google around for Tracfone forums and you'll find
this is a common question.  I can report that the SIM will not work in
other phones either, although it did boot up in my V600 enough to let
me copy the phone's address book onto the SIM.

I just got a Tracfone Moto V376g.  It's a decent phone, but it's quite
customized for Tracfone, with a constantly updated home page display
of minutes remaining and expiration date.  Since the phones are sold
far below cost, I gather they have chronic problems with people buying
them up, unlocking and perhaps reflashing them, and selling them
overseas, so they make them as hard to unlock as they possibly can.

Considering that most of their phones cost about $20, I can hardly
blame them.

R's,
John

0
John

Re: Straight Talk by Tracfone [Telecom]
Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:51:04 -0500 "Thomas H Ward" <thomas.h.ward@live.com> wrote: <<I have recently come across Straight Talk by Tracfone in my local Wal-Mart store. They are advertising an unlimited everything rate plan for around $45. Since I live in a rural area of Virginia, and my service options are extremely limited, this appeals to me. However, I am leery of purchasing this phone because I can not find a coverage map on their web site nor within their in-store brochures. Their brochures say that they are on "One of Americans best networks&quo...

funny telecom cartoon (telecom) [telecom]
For a bit of telecom humor, see: http://www.gocomics.com/offthemark/2014/02/18 -- Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097 Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67 Canines: Val,Red,Shasta,Zero,Casey & Cinnar (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L Canines: Red & Max (Siberians) Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L ...

[telecom] Need some guidance on telecom easements [Telecom]
> ***** Moderator's Note ***** > > IANAL, and you need a good one, experienced in both easements and > tower leases. Don't go to the local guy: this is an area where new > precedents are being set almost daily, as cell towers and cellular > infrastructure pop up at every streetcorner. You need a firm that > does this all the time. > > You can start by getting some facts by yourself: > > 1. What frequencies will the transmitter(s) operator on? > 2. What company will hold the FCC license? > 3. What are the authorized emission types? &...

[telecom] Harassed by robocalls [Telecom]
On Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:20 PM "Steven Lichter" <diespammers@ikillspammers.com> wrote: [ snip ] > the Golf Course in Lon Beach. What was happening was when the hunt > group was busy the next call would go to another hunt group, which had > out number on it; I would tell them they reached the wrong number, most > were understanding and would try again. I passed the problem to our > customer service office and they contacted the golf course and told > them that they needed to add more numbers to their hunt group because > they w...

Need a telecom attorney [Telecom]
I'm looking for an attorney in the Philadelphia area who specializes in land easements. We have a telecom company looking to put some antenna's, and I guess transmitters on our property and want someone to review the agreements. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Michael Muderick ***** Moderator's Note ***** Michael, you're a very wise man. IANAL, and I'm sure the readers will offer suggestions, but let me add these suggestions to get you started: * How many antennas? How man transmitters? (It's NOT a one-to-one relationship!) * For _their_ radi...

[Telecom] Series on Telecom security
Bruce Schneier, who coined the term "Security Theater" and is the author of "Applied Cryptography", publishes a newletter called CRYPTO-GRAM, which I recommend to those who are interested in both cryptography and security issues. The January 15, 2010, issue includes these links: 'A very good four-part series: "Risk and Security in the Telecommunications Industry." ' http://tinyurl.com/yl6pg92 http://tinyurl.com/ykus3fh http://tinyurl.com/ye7qzhv http://tinyurl.com/ykmxam7 The series discusses the issues of survivability and resilience tha...

Cut Your Telecom Bills [telecom]
There is a good article called "Cut your telecom bills" in the May, 2011 issue of Consumer Reports magazine. There are several parts of it that caught my eye right away: a section titled "Some fiber really isn't", covering some of the physical-layer issues we've been discussing here, and a section on the "Ooma" VoIP service, plus a section on "The benefits of bundling and bargaining". I'm curious what the Digest's readers think about the article. Bill -- Bill Horne (Filter QRM for direct replies) Bill Horne wrote: ...

Telecom News in TELECOM Digest
No offense, but I read other sources of news, and I see the stuff below in several places where it's accurately sorted by topic. I read Telecom Digest to get *telecom* related information, not the latest Dish TV "special" or what Amazon is doing this week. Just a simple comment. -W > Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:10:52 -0500 > From: Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> > Subject: DISH Network $999 HDTV Promo > http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/system/ [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And no offense taken. Monty Solomon is a sort of e...

[telecom]recorded telecom messages
an archive of recorded messages: http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html Dave Garland wrote: > an archive of recorded messages: > http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html > heh heh, those have some humor potential! Rick Merrill wrote: >Dave Garland wrote: >>an archive of recorded messages: >>http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html >> >heh heh, those have some humor potential! Friend of mine had a very realistic sounding ring tone with perfect SIT (tone) sequence and "We're sorry due to call overload, our system ...

Telecom in High Art [telecom]
I'm just listening to a classical radio program - this one featuring the modern and rather hard-to-take composer Elliott Carter. He set three of Robert Frost's poems to music, one of them being "The Line Gang" Here come the line-gang pioneering by. They throw a forest down less cut than broken. They plant dead trees for living, and the dead They string together with a living thread. They string an instrument against the sky Wherein words whether beaten out or spoken Will run as hushed as when they were a thought But in no hush they string it: they go past With ...

Verizon FIOS (telecom) [telecom]
This was originally posted to comp.dcom.telecom.tech in error, it was intended for cdt, so reposting to proper place with some followup added. During the recent FIOS discussion, I had nothing to add, so I didn't. Its been fine since it was installed 2+ years ago. Just recently, I had some issues, and I wanted to pass along what I encountered for the benefit of the group. At first, both wired and wireless went dead. A power cycle fixed it, and the wired connections had no furthur problems. The wireless was not working. The first time or 2 the Verizon "In Home Agent&qu...

Telecom
We Pay You Cash For Your Telecom Equipment Located in Deerfield Beach, Telenet Systems pays top dollar for all types o= f used telephone systems, parts, pieces and data network gear nationwide. T= oday's new business telephone systems are designed to improve communication= , reduce your communication cost and, most importantly, increase productivi= ty. If you're considering upgrading the phone systems in your office, consider = selling them first to Telenet Systems. The company refurbishes and sells a = variety of phone equipment including telephone systems, transmission, swi...

Nice interface to Telecom-Digest [Telecom]
I spent quite a bit of time digging around for the instructions to change my email address on this list. Yesterday, I found: http://lists.services.net/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr/domain=telecom-digest.org For whatever reason, this site made more sense to me than what I found on http://telecom-digest.org Hope this helps someone.... ...

Telecom Digest Info file [telecom]
This is the "Info" document for The Telecom Digest. It is sent automatically to new subscribers, and posted occasionally in the Digest. The Telecom Digest is an electronic magazine, or e-zine, devoted mostly to telecommunications, and mostly to the Companies, technology, regulations, politics, and people that affect, create, maintain, and govern the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) of the world. This is, as the above paragraph no doubt implies, much easier to _do_ than to _explain_. We cover any subject that's related to the telephone network, including Voi...

Web resources about - Straight Talk by Tracfone [Telecom] - comp.dcom.telecom

Cubic Telecom - Home
... that travels could communicate through mobile technology - but without crippling roaming or network costs. That's the vision which Cubic Telecom ...

Telecom News, Telecom Companies, Telecom Industry - Fierce Telecom
Free Telecom Daily Newsletter Get the latest news on Telcos, Next Generation Networks, Broadband, and other critical service provider topics ...

Home - Global Telecoms Business
Global Telecoms Business is the leading intelligence source for senior managers who run telecoms carriers worldwide. It provides business people, ...

Become a CLEC - ISG-Telecom Consultants - #1 US regulatory firm ISG-Telecom Consultants is the #1 CLEC ...
ISG-Telecom is devoted to creating new CLEC's and IXC's. Turn Key CLEC Strategies with full regulatory filing at the PUC & FCC levels. CLEC legal ...

Telecom Italia - Telecom Italia
Telecom Italia offers infrastructures, platforms and services for mobile and fixed phones, internet, ICT solutions and media content.

Telecompaper – Telecom news and research – News Home
tp:news tp:research tp:events Edition: International Nederlands Log in Register Products 0 Article Binder Telecompaper Loading... 0 Home Mobile ...

Telecompetitor - Providing insight, analysis, and commentary on the evolving telecom competitive landscape ...
U.S. wireless subscriber connections increased 7% between 2010 and 2011 , reaching 331.6 million, according to CTIA - The Wireless Industry Association. ...

Telecom Reseller
The News Source for UC, Cloud, Collaboration and Mobility

Telecoms Korea - Since 2004
Telecoms Korea Since 2004 Contact

Bienvenue sur le site du GER Télécom - GER Télécom
Depuis 1981, plus de 700 contrats ont prouvé notre savoir-faire et ont fait du GER Télécom l'une des grandes Junior-Entreprises françaises. Implantée ...