Verizon FIOS (telecom) [telecom]

This was originally posted to comp.dcom.telecom.tech in error, it was
intended for cdt, so reposting to proper place with some followup
added.

During the recent FIOS discussion, I had nothing to add, so I didn't.
Its been fine since it was installed 2+ years ago.

Just recently, I had some issues, and I wanted to pass along what I
encountered for the benefit of the group.

At first, both wired and wireless went dead.  A power cycle fixed it,
and the wired connections had no furthur problems.  The wireless was
not working.  The first time or 2 the Verizon "In Home Agent" fixed it
but then it became intermittant and Agent could do nothing.  [I] found
a bug in their online diagnostics and a related bug in Agent.  The
online diagnostic was reading my userid and passphrase, spelling it
out phonetically.  My passphrase is several words with spaces between
the words, and the diagnostic ignored the spaces.  Later, Agent asked
me for the passphrase and wouldn't allow me to enter the spaces.

Later, I called FIOS tech support and reported both bugs.  I then
described the problems and asked what would it take to get a new
modem.  He responded that he would send me one and it arrived the next
day.  Aparantly they have decided that the modem I have is obselete
because they don't want it back.  I will trash it after resetting it
to clear the passphrase.  It will be installed tomorrow and I will
follow up if anything unusual happens.

One oddity in the old modem, its too slow to copy/paste the admin uid
and password.  They must be hand typed.  I will see if the new modem
has the same oddity.