Verizon in $63 Billion Faceoff With AT&T Over Family Plans [telecom]

Olga Kharif and Scott Moritz, �2012 Bloomberg News

May 16 (Bloomberg) -- Verizon Wireless and AT&T Inc. are both preparing
to roll out shared-data pricing plans this year. Whoever makes the first
move will transform the way the industry charges for wireless service.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/05/16/bloomberg_articlesM3TGGT0UQVI901-M44WD.DTL
-or-
http://tinyurl.com/6unsjok

--
Bill Horne
(Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly)

AT&T & Verizon Need To Change Their Marketing Plans [telecom]
Better Matters?: Here's Why AT&T and Verizon Need to Change Their Marketing Plans Saying your the best only works for so long if you're not actually better than your competition. For years, AT&T and Verizon have built their marketing around the idea that they had better networks than upstart rivals T-Mobile and Sprint. From "Can you here me now?" to "Better Matters," both wireless leaders have hung their hats on the concept that superior service justified higher prices. Of course, they never exactly came out and mentioned that they charge more, but especially over the past couple of years, T-Mobile and Sprint have moved toward discounts while AT&T and Verizon have been more expensive. http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/02/11/better-matters-heres-why-att-and-verizon-need-to-c.aspx -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly) ...

What AT&T's Unlimited Data Plans Mean for Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile [telecom]
by Andrew Tonner In explaining telecom titan AT&T's recent decision to reinstitute unlimited data plans for some mobile subscribers, the famous P.T. Barnum quote came to mind: "Without promotion, something terrible happens ... nothing!" At a time when competition among the largest four U.S. telecom companies -- AT&T, Verizon Communications, Sprint, and T-Mobile -- is near a fever pitch, AT&T is leveraging one of its core strengths to steal share from its competitors in a manner few expected. http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/01/16/what-at...

Would you sign up for a Google wireless plan over Verizon or AT&T? [telecom]
Through an agreement with T-Mobile and Sprint, Google is on its way to becoming the newest wireless carrier in the US, according to reports. What does this say about Google's overall ambitions? by Karis Hustad Google is making unprecedented steps into the telecom game, indicating the tech company wants to be far more than just your search engine or e-mail provider. Mountain View, Calif.-based Google has inked deals with Sprint and T-Mobile to become a wireless carrier, according to technology website The Information citing unnamed sources. There are no details yet on what this service will look like or when it will begin. But it does mean that Google will use existing cell towers to sell wireless plans to consumers - a move that could uproot the already competitive wireless provider field. This means Google not only wants to provide customers with now nearly-ubiquitous Internet services, but control how these services reach customers. http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2015/0124/Would-you-sign-up-for-a-Google-wireless-plan-over-Verizon-or-AT-T -or- http://goo.gl/HYVZ7W -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly) ...

Why AT&T and Verizon Are Selling Over $12.6 Billion of Assets [telecom]
Why AT&T and Verizon Communications Are Selling Over $12.6 Billion Worth of Assets by Adam Levy In case you missed it, Verizon Communications and AT&T owe the government nearly $29 billion. Both companies spent heavily in the FCC's AWS-3 spectrum auction, acquiring valuable airwave licenses for their wireless businesses. With both companies heavily burdened with debt, they're both looking to raise funds without increasing their liabilities. After the AWS-3 auction results were announced, S&P downgraded AT&T's credit rating to a BBB+. Verizon's...

[telecom] AT&T Ends $39 Billion Bid for T-Mobile
AT&T Ends $39 Billion Bid for T-Mobile By MICHAEL J. DE LA MERCED DECEMBER 19, 2011 AT&T on Monday ended its effort to buy T-Mobile USA, acknowledging that it could not overcome stiff opposition by the Obama administration to form the nation's biggest cellphone service provider. The decision to scrap the $39 billion takeover - which would have been the biggest deal of the year - is a major setback for AT&T, which had pinned its hopes for growth on the acquisition. The company wanted T-Mobile's cellular airwaves, or spectrum, to relieve its congested network and offer faster service for data-hungry devices like the iPhone. And the deal's end leaves T-Mobile, the weakest of the four national operators, with an uncertain future. ... http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/att-withdraws-39-bid-for-t-mobile/ ...

T-Mobile IPhone Promo Pressures AT&T, Verizon [telecom]
T-Mobile's lease program entices subscribers to upgrade. AT&T and Verizon don't yet offer leases for the devices. Barron's Investor's Soapbox PM Pacific Crest Securities We believe T-Mobile US is very confident it will meet or exceed its 2015 adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization guidance range of $6.8 billion-$7.2 billion, given its aggressive iPhone-leasing promotion. We believe this will cause trouble for AT&T and Verizon Communications as porting ratios already favor T-Mobile, T-Mobile is growing subscribers and m...

Verizon is poaching AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint customers [telecom]
It's a great time to be looking for a new cell phone contract as the major U.S. carriers continue to jockey for customers. Verizon unveiled its latest promotion on Monday, offering customers who switch away from AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint up to $650 to cover early termination fees. Of course, as with any wireless service promotion, there's a bit of fine print. http://fortune.com/2015/12/29/verizon-offers-650-credit/ -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly) ...

Re: [telecom] SBC and AT&T exchange [Telecom]
> In a message dated 11/11/2008 5:22:05 PM Central Standard Time, > art.shapiro@unisys.com writes: > > A quick look at SBC shows it no longer exists, so your hypothesis is > almost certainly correct. If a perusal of T's stockholder relations > portion of their site doesn't look promising, I'm sure they'd happily > answer an email to that department. > > Art The company that was named SBC still existes. As many others have noted, after its acquisition of AT&T, SBC renamed itself AT&T, but the surviving company is the one that was formerly named SBC. The company still exists, just under a different name. This is not uncommon in the corporate world. The company named North Carolina National Bank changed its named to NCNB National Bank, then changed its name to NationsBank, then acquired Bank of America and changed its name to Bank of America. But it is the same company and that is why Bank of America has its headquarters in Charlotte, N.C.--it's the same company as the one-time North Carolina National Bank. As far as I know, the old Bank of America no longer exists, just as I believe the company once known as American Telephone & Telegraph Company no longer exists. Historical information for T would be historical information for the company formerly known as SBC, because that's the company that is now T. Wes Leatherock wesrock@aol.com wleathus@yahoo.com ...

AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile Ink Deal To Make Smartphones Work Better [telecom]
By Julie Bort - Business Insider Fri, Feb 1, 2013 3:21 PM EST AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile Signed An Unprecedented Deal To Make Smartphones Work Better Ever been in a crowded place and you can't get service on your phone to make a call? Sometimes there are too many phones on your service provider's network. Smartphones have made the situation worse, because watching videos and chatting on FaceTime hogs the network. Three carriers just signed an unprecedented deal to try and solve that problem. For the first time AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile have agreed to experiment with sharing network space with each other and the federal government. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/t-verizon-t-mobile-signed-202152211.html Bill -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly) ...

T-Mobile offering Sprint, AT&T and Verizon castaways one year of free unlimited LTE data [telecom]
After an unsuccessful union with Sprint, T-Mobile is going after its former suitor's customers, as well as its other competitors' sub- cribers in the wireless world. Today, the magenta-colored carrier announced an aggressive promotional campaign that offers a free year of LTE data to castaways from AT&T, Verizon, and of course Sprint. Rest at: http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/21/t-mobile-offering-sprint-att-and-verizon-castaways-one-year-of-free-unlimited-lte-data/ -or- http://goo.gl/2ppII7 -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my address to email me directly) ...

AT&T & Verizon File to Block Kushnick from the FCC's "Special Access" Data... Again. [telecom]
by Bruce Kushnick On October 15th, 2002 -- over 13 years ago -- AT&T filed a Petition with the FCC to investigate the "special access" services that are controlled by the "Bell" companies, now AT&T, Verizon and Centurylink. The above quote supplies two of the section headings from the Petition's Table of Contents. Fast Forward: During the summer of 2015, the FCC announced that it had collected new information about special access services from users and that special access was now a $40 billion dollar market. However, in order to view this new information, you must sign a letter of confidentiality. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/att-slams-att-att--verizo_b_8914806.html -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly) ...

Re: [telecom] AT&T charges extra to pay cash [Telecom]
On Fri, 16 May 2008 13:26:19 GMT our moderator wrote, in a note to a post by jtayNOSPAMlor@hfDONTSENDMESPAMx.andara.com>: [ ... ] > Let me put it this way: I have been at the bottom of the economic > ladder a couple of times in my life, and I have seen first hand how > businesses bring subtle pleasures to bear which make it clear that > those less well off aren't welcome. Electronic transfer payments > scare me because they are used by the middle and upper classes, and > vendors who require electronic forms of payment may be doing so > because they don't want to deal with lower-class customers. In Oklahoma, and I assume on most states, food stamps and other public assistance are offered by electronic transfer only, the recicipent receiving a plastic device that looks about the same as a credit card, and I note most grocery stores, even those in upscale areas, have a terminal for these. (One of the points of contention in going to this method of payment was the selection of a single vendor to do the transactions and provide the cards, requiring merchants to have that vendor's dedicated terminals (card reader) to take such payments.) Wes Leatherock wleathus@yahoo.com wesrock@aol.com Wes Leatherock wrote: > On Fri, 16 May 2008 13:26:19 GMT our moderator wrote, > in a note to a post by > jtayNOSPAMlor@hfDONTSENDMESPAMx.andara.com>: > > [ ... ] > >> Let me...

Better News for Verizon, AT&T [telecom]
After a rocky 2012, everything is coming up roses for Verizon Communications and AT&T, and the bloom could last for much of the year. In the quarterly reports they will release this week, Verizon (VZ) and AT&T (T) will likely indicate their increasing dominance in the U.S. cellular market. http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052748703596604578235523072009266.html?mod=BOL_twm_col#articleTabs_article%3D1 -or- http://goo.gl/IRcqu -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly) ...

AT&T Plans its own video service [telecom]
Can AT&T out-Netflix Netflix with its own video service? The telco giant wants to wed the "TV everywhere" concept with its own mobile service. It could unveil something in the coming days. by Roger Cheng AT&T is on a mission to touch every aspect of your life. The Dallas telco already runs huge wireless, home Internet and TV services. And it wants to connect your car, smartwatch, glucose monitor and potentially even your city. Now, it's hoping to be responsible for something more: delivering video you want, when and where you want it and on any devi...

[telecom] How AT&T and Verizon Manipulate Your Smartphone
How AT&T and Verizon Manipulate Your Smartphone By Susan Crawford Dec 26, 2012 Bloomberg The two kinds of Internet-access carriers, wired and wireless, have found they can operate without competing with each other. The cable industry and AT&T- Verizon have divided up the world much as Comcast and Time Warner did; only instead of, "You take Philadelphia, I'll take Minneapolis," it's, "You take wired, I'll take wireless." At the end of 2011, the two industries even agreed to market each other's services. Comcast and Time Warner Cable will bundle Verizon Wireless services with their own, and by 2015 the cable companies will have the option of selling mobile services under their own brands. The deal came about because a cable industry joint venture primarily owned by Comcast, with Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks (another cable distributor) participating, controlled a substantial portion of public airwaves that the companies had licensed during a Federal Communications Commission auction in 2006; Verizon Wireless gets that spectrum for $3.6 billion in exchange for intertwining its business with that of Comcast and Time Warner. This made eminent sense. In most of the areas served by Comcast and Time Warner, Verizon's FiOS -- the only real competition for wired Internet access -- isn't present. (Comcast and FiOS overlap in only 15 percent of Comcast's physical marke...

Sprint challenges AT&T, Verizon [telecom]
Sprint challenges AT&T, Verizon by doubling business data again by Craig Galbreith Rarely a day goes by that one of the big carriers doesn't offer a new discount or a bigger chunk of data on their consumer or business plans. Just in the past two weeks, Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile all have updated their plans - in some cases, more than once. The latest deal comes from Sprint, which, beginning today, is again doubling the data on its business plans for the same price. http://www.channelpartnersonline.com/news/2014/10/sprint-challenges-at-t-verizon-by-doubling...

Verizon, AT&T Are At It Again With More Data For Less Money [telecom]
by Mark Rogowsky Another month, another promotion. At least for the moment, the nation's two biggest carriers are lowering the cost of service plans faster than consumers are increasing their appetites for mobile data. While that should leave most of us with little to complain about, the divergence between AT&T and Verizon at this point creates some interesting choices heading into the holiday season. And to further complicate matters Verizon has added an interesting sweetener, along with striking an unfortunately sour note as it works to maintain the top spot. For both pote...

GM switches to AT&T from Verizon for OnStar [telecom]
GM switches to AT&T from Verizon for OnStar wireless service (Reuters) - General Motors Co has chosen AT&T Inc to provide high-speed wireless service for its 2015 car models, dropping its long-term provider Verizon Wireless. OnStar - best known for connecting drivers to live operators who provide directions or summon emergency help after an accident - will start using AT&T in its 2015 models, which go on sale in mid-2014. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/25/us-mobile-world-att-idUSBRE91O07520130225 -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly) You watch yourself from the sidelines like your life was a game you don't mind playing to keep yourself amused I don't mean to be cruel, babe, but you're looking confused. - Jackson Browne ...

3 Reasons Why Verizon is Superior to AT&T [telecom]
By Brian Nichols Verizon and AT&T are often put in the same sentence, as two highly competitive companies of similar size in the same industry. These companies have similar dividends and trade at near-identical price-to-earnings multiples, so many investors figure picking Verizon or AT&T for a portfolio is a flip of a coin. While that might have been true in the past, recent moves by both companies make this assumption outdated. http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/09/10/3-reasons-why-verizon-is-superior-to-att.aspx -or- http://goo.gl/EB2oBm -- Bill Hor...

Cox, Verizon challenge AT&T, CenturyLink in Oklahoma [telecom]
Cox Communications and Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ) kicked off a joint promotion to subscribers in Oklahoma, offering new customers that order digital video and wireless phone and data bundles prepaid Visa debit cards ranging from $100 to $400. http://www.fiercecable.com/story/cox-verizon-challenge-att-centurylink-oklahoma/2012-05-15 -or- http://goo.gl/n29NH -- Bill Horne (Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly) ...

Even Without iPhone, Verizon Is Gaining on AT&T [telecom]
Even Without iPhone, Verizon Is Gaining on AT&T By BRAD STONE and JENNA WORTHAM July 14, 2010 It is a question that the nation's early adopters keep hearing from friends: when is the iPhone coming to Verizon? The combination of the biggest cellphone carrier in the United States and Apple's smash-hit phone would certainly be a powerful one. And it would be a major challenge to AT&T, which has been the exclusive carrier for the phone since its debut in 2007. But Verizon could decide that it does not actually need the iPhone, thanks to its deepening ties with Google. In big cities, AT&T's network has buckled under the data-heavy demands of the iPhone, frustrating customers. Verizon has managed to avoid similar problems while working with Google, Apple's latest nemesis, to offer several strong rivals to the iPhone that use the Android operating system from Google. On Thursday, Verizon will begin selling the Droid X, an Android phone that many say may be the fiercest challenge yet to the iPhone, Steven P. Jobs's crowning creation. .... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/15/technology/15verizon.html Monty Solomon wrote: > > In big cities, AT&T's network has buckled under the data-heavy > demands of the iPhone, frustrating customers. Yet, they are now advertising two-way video with your S.O. or friend. Seems like they should also mention that isn't going to work except wh...

AT&T and Verizon both working on sponsored data offers [telecom]
Data Perks gives AT&T users up to 1GB of free data a month by Matt Hamblen Computerworld The nation's two biggest wireless carriers, AT&T and Verizon Wireless, have entered another competitive arena, this time over so-called "sponsored data," which gives customers access to low-cost or toll-free data. In such programs, third-party vendors generally work with the carriers to offer apps or other content to customers without eating into the users' own data plans. The third parties, which can be as diverse as hotel chains or app makers, usually pay f...

at&t vs. Verizon TV ad campaign? [telecom]
Both companies have flooded television claiming their cellular telephone service is superior to the other, especially in advanced features. Who is right? Which claims are true and which are false or half- truths? (Note that today it's spelled "at&t" in lower case, and the company was formed in 2005 when SBC bought the old Ma Bell AT&T). hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote: > Both companies have flooded television claiming their cellular > telephone service is superior to the other, especially in advanced > features. > > Who is right? Which cla...

AT&T to revoke unlimited data plans from some users [telecom]
AT&T To Revoke Unlimited Data Plans From Jailbreaking iPhone Tetherers By Casey Johnston August 5, 2011 AT&T will begin revoking unlimited data plans from customers who jailbreak their iPhones to use unauthorized tethering services, the company confirmed to Boy Genius Report today. AT&T's action applies to all customers tethering on the sly, whose monthly bills will automatically have AT&T's 4GB tethering-approved plan added to them if they continue to tether past a certain date. .... http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/08/att-revoke-unlimited-data/ ***** Moderator's Note ***** For those of us not yet tethered to a digital fire hydrant, some definitions might be in order. Bill Horne Moderator ...

Web resources about - Verizon in $63 Billion Faceoff With AT&T Over Family Plans [telecom] - comp.dcom.telecom

Cubic Telecom - Home
... that travels could communicate through mobile technology - but without crippling roaming or network costs. That's the vision which Cubic Telecom ...

Telecom News, Telecom Companies, Telecom Industry - Fierce Telecom
Free Telecom Daily Newsletter Get the latest news on Telcos, Next Generation Networks, Broadband, and other critical service provider topics ...

Home - Global Telecoms Business
Global Telecoms Business is the leading intelligence source for senior managers who run telecoms carriers worldwide. It provides business people, ...

Become a CLEC - ISG-Telecom Consultants - #1 US regulatory firm ISG-Telecom Consultants is the #1 CLEC ...
ISG-Telecom is devoted to creating new CLEC's and IXC's. Turn Key CLEC Strategies with full regulatory filing at the PUC & FCC levels. CLEC legal ...

Telecom Italia - Telecom Italia
Telecom Italia offers infrastructures, platforms and services for mobile and fixed phones, internet, ICT solutions and media content.

Telecompaper – Telecom news and research – News Home
tp:news tp:research tp:events Edition: International Nederlands Log in Register Products 0 Article Binder Telecompaper Loading... 0 Home Mobile ...

Telecompetitor - Providing insight, analysis, and commentary on the evolving telecom competitive landscape ...
U.S. wireless subscriber connections increased 7% between 2010 and 2011 , reaching 331.6 million, according to CTIA - The Wireless Industry Association. ...

Telecom Reseller
The News Source for UC, Cloud, Collaboration and Mobility

Telecoms Korea - Since 2004
Telecoms Korea Since 2004 Contact

Bienvenue sur le site du GER Télécom - GER Télécom
Depuis 1981, plus de 700 contrats ont prouvé notre savoir-faire et ont fait du GER Télécom l'une des grandes Junior-Entreprises françaises. Implantée ...