Problem In Network Configuration

Hi everybody,

I've got a Win2k3 Enterprise Edition Server, with 2 NICs and an ADSL
ethernet modem.
NIC1 (192.168.0.1) serves the local LAN, and I just installed the
second NIC to connect the ethernet modem to it. The modem manual tells
that it has a default IP address (192.168.1.1), so I configured my
second NIC to be in the same sunbet as the ethernet modem and gave it
192.168.1.2.

My problem is that how should I configure my network to pass the
internet traffic from my clients in 192.168.0.* to 192.168.1.1 and vice
versa?

As a try I enabled RRAS service and configured it for NAT. I added NIC1
as the private interface and NIC2 as my public interface, but just when
I applied this, my clients started to work to too much slowly that they
couldn't even browse their local drives! When I disabled the RRAS
service, everything got normal again!!

What am I doing wrong here?

comp.dcom.xdsl 1790 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

From: "Tyler" <tdfightclub@gmail.com>

| Hi everybody,
|
| I've got a Win2k3 Enterprise Edition Server, with 2 NICs and an ADSL
| ethernet modem.
| NIC1 (192.168.0.1) serves the local LAN, and I just installed the
| second NIC to connect the ethernet modem to it. The modem manual tells
| that it has a default IP address (192.168.1.1), so I configured my
| second NIC to be in the same sunbet as the ethernet modem and gave it
| 192.168.1.2.
|
| My problem is that how should I configure my network to pass the
| internet traffic from my clients in 192.168.0.* to 192.168.1.1 and vice
| versa?
|
| As a try I enabled RRAS service and configured it for NAT. I added NIC1
| as the private interface and NIC2 as my public interface, but just when
| I applied this, my clients started to work to too much slowly that they
| couldn't even browse their local drives! When I disabled the RRAS
| service, everything got normal again!!
|
| What am I doing wrong here?

First, is this a DSL Modem or is it a DSL Modem+Router ?
If it is a Modem+Router, is it in Gateway mode (modem only) or Router mode ?

What is its Vendor, Make and Model ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

0
David
7/12/2006 12:52:25 AM
Hi Dave,

It's a modem+router, and is set to 'Multimode' in its configuration
console, section 'ADSL Mode', by default.
It's a Huawei SmartAX MT800 ADSL Router.

> First, is this a DSL Modem or is it a DSL Modem+Router ?
> If it is a Modem+Router, is it in Gateway mode (modem only) or Router mode ?
>
> What is its Vendor, Make and Model ?
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

0
Tyler
7/12/2006 4:41:56 AM
From: "Tyler" <tdfightclub@gmail.com>

| Hi Dave,
|
| It's a modem+router, and is set to 'Multimode' in its configuration
| console, section 'ADSL Mode', by default.
| It's a Huawei SmartAX MT800 ADSL Router.

If it is in Router mode, you do NOT need the Win2003 server to be multi-homed.

If the modem+router has only one RJ-45 port, get an inexpensive Ethernet switch and connect
the Win2003 server and all workstations to the switch.  Disable the second NIC.