"Plagiarism" or "fair use" or "~intended use" for WEB published material

A friend is deep in the clutches of Yahoo! as her WEB access is through
SBC DSL. Some Yahoo pages evidently have an "Email a Fiend" link as I
(and others) received the following message:
"
D*** M*** (**********@sbcglobal.net) has sent you a news article.
(Email address has not been verified.)
Personal message:

I thought this was really neat so I wanted to share it with all of you.
  love me

Comics and Editorial Cartoons: Ziggy on Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/ziggy

Yahoo! News
http://news.yahoo.com/
"

I liked the cartoon enough to let friends know about it.
But, from the formation of the URL and the page design, I suspect that
URL will only yield this *specific* cartoon for a limited time.

I can download the image to my machine and use my copy as an attachment
to an email to guarantee they see the cartoon I intended. Just how close
to plagiarism does this come? [ I see no major problem in explicitly
this particular case as cartoonist's name and copyright info is embedded
in the image. ]

Comments anyone?

0
rowlett10 (1881)
2/5/2006 8:25:59 PM
comp.dsp 20333 articles. 1 followers. allnor (8509) is leader. Post Follow

Richard Owlett wrote:

> A friend is deep in the clutches of Yahoo! as her WEB access is through
> SBC DSL. Some Yahoo pages evidently have an "Email a Fiend" link as I

Email a _fiend_?  And you admit to it?

> (and others) received the following message:
> "
> D*** M*** (**********@sbcglobal.net) has sent you a news article.
> Personal message:
>
> I thought this was really neat so I wanted to share it with all of you.
>  love me
>
> Comics and Editorial Cartoons: Ziggy on Yahoo! News
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/comics/ziggy

> Yahoo! News
> http://news.yahoo.com/
> "
>
> I liked the cartoon enough to let friends know about it.
> But, from the formation of the URL and the page design, I suspect that
> URL will only yield this *specific* cartoon for a limited time.
>
> I can download the image to my machine and use my copy as an attachment
> to an email to guarantee they see the cartoon I intended. Just how close
> to plagiarism does this come? [ I see no major problem in explicitly
> this particular case as cartoonist's name and copyright info is embedded
> in the image. ]
>
> Comments anyone?

Try it.  If you get sued, and they win, it wasn't fair use.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
>
>> A friend is deep in the clutches of Yahoo! as her WEB access is
>> through SBC DSL. Some Yahoo pages evidently have an "Email a Fiend"
>> link as I
>

> Email a _fiend_?  And you admit to it?

U R CRUEL
very cruel

>> (and others) received the following message:
>> "
>> D*** M*** (**********@sbcglobal.net) has sent you a news article.
>> (Email address has not been verified.)
>> Personal message:
>>
>> I thought this was really neat so I wanted to share it with all of
>> you.  love me
>>
>> Comics and Editorial Cartoons: Ziggy on Yahoo! News
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/comics/ziggy

>> Yahoo! News
>> http://news.yahoo.com/
>> "
>>
>> I liked the cartoon enough to let friends know about it.
>> But, from the formation of the URL and the page design, I suspect that
>> URL will only yield this *specific* cartoon for a limited time.
>>
>> I can download the image to my machine and use my copy as an
>> attachment to an email to guarantee they see the cartoon I intended.
>> Just how close to plagiarism does this come? [ I see no major problem
>> in explicitly this particular case as cartoonist's name and copyright
>> info is embedded in the image. ]
>>
>> Comments anyone?
>>
> Try it.  If you get sued, and they win, it wasn't fair use.

Look I asked a reasonable question.
May I expect a reasonable answer?

0
rowlett10 (1881)
2/5/2006 10:27:37 PM
Richard Owlett wrote:

> Look I asked a reasonable question.
> May I expect a reasonable answer?

You got one. I'm sure you know about fair use and all that. If you want
permission to distribute the artwork, you'll have to get it from someone
with the authority to give it.

Jerry
�����������������������������������������������������������������������
0
jya (12871)

When to use "." and when to use "!"
I'm still confused about this and I can't find anywhere that explains it properly. I have the MS book "Access 2003" in front of me and I'm reading Part 5 about VB and so on. It's telling me about how to refer to a specific database and has the example:- Dim dbMyDb As DAO.Database Set dbMyDb = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).Databases(0) but, but, but, but - what do those dots (periods, full stops, call them what you will) mean? (OK, it appears to be the same usage as C/C++/Java when referring to class/structure members, but I wish it would tell me that somewhere) Why are there dots used in referring to object members in this case but when referring to controls on forms (for example) one uses "!". Surely there must be somewhere that helps one understand this basic syntax. -- Chris Green Generally, a dot exposes properties and methods and a bang (!) exposes members of a collection. So forms!frmMyForm.Visible refers to the visible property of frmMyForm, which is a member of the forms collection. What makes this harder (or easier, depending on your perspective) to grasp, is that Access has gotten more and more forgiving about using the "wrong" notation. usenet@isbd.co.uk wrote in news:44316bba.0@entanet: > I'm still confused about this and I can't find anywhere that explains > it properly. > > I have the MS book "Access 2003" in front of me and I'm reading Part 5 > about VB and so on....

"out" and "in out"
Hi i found the following explaination: In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. Ada "in out" parameters have a reliable initial value (that passed in from the calling subprogram) and may be modified within the scope of the called procedure. Ada "out" parameters have no reliable initial value, but are expected to be assigned a value within the called procedure. What does "have no reliable initial value" mean when considering the "out" parameter? By chance I created a small program as follows: =========== s : string := "CAT"; procedure modify ( s1 : out string ) is begin s1(2) := 'U'; end modify; ... put ( modify(s) ); =========== now I get as a result "CUT", and i dont understand why i get this result. Doesnt the "out" specify that its initial value isnt passed in via the parameter? But it seems to be passed in the above. In fact the "out" is acting like an "in out". I am a little confused. Could someone shed some light on this? Many thanks! zork "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:4104d5de@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi i found the following explaination: > > In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are > effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. > Ada "in out&q...

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Invalid use of "." "!"
In writing a sql statement I get the error "invalid use of "." "!"......... this is apparently coming because the where clause of the sql statemt refers to a combo box with sales persons names in it. All the names are listed first initial followed by a "." and last name. I am assuming the error i am getting is coming from the "." in the combo box. How do I get around the invalid use of the "." ? Thanks Never mind..... didnt have enough quotation marks. "Learning" <texson552000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:DQELg.10308$o42.364@tornado.texas.rr.com... > In writing a sql statement I get the error "invalid use of "." "!"......... > this is apparently coming because the where clause of the sql statemt refers > to a combo box with sales persons names in it. All the names are listed > first initial followed by a "." and last name. I am assuming the error i am > getting is coming from the "." in the combo box. > > How do I get around the invalid use of the "." ? > > Thanks > > ...

Use "range," not "for"?
Thanks to everyone who suggested ways to get a proc to recognize all variables in the global scope--here's why I wanted to know. (Maybe someone has done this better already--if so, don't hesitate to let me know!) I've found that a simple "foreach" loop fairly often won't do the jobs I want done, and I need to use "for"--ugh! Well, I recently read at least part of a book about Python. It didn't look like an improvement over Tcl for the most part, but it has at least a few good features, one of which is the "range" expression. I thought a "range" procedure in Tcl might be a good substitute for the clumsy "for." So, here's my first effort. Instead of writing this: for {set i 1} {$i<= 10} {incr i} {puts "$i. \"for\" is ugly!"} you can write this: range i 1 to 10 {puts "$i. \"range\" is beautiful!"} Or, if you have a list called "lum," instead of writing this: for {set i 0} {$i < [llength $lum]} {incr i} {puts [lindex $lum $i]} you can write this: range i 0 no [llength $lum] {puts [lindex $lum $i]} To go backward, skipping every other number, instead of this: for {set i 10} {$i >= 0} {incr i -2} {puts $i} you can write this: range i 10 to 0 -2 {puts $i} The usage is pretty obvious: "range var start cutoff end ?incr? body." In other words, (1) the word "range"; (2) a vari...

when should one use "and" and "or"
Hi All, just got hit w the ff > case > when x==1 or x==2 > print "yeoh!" > end SyntaxError: compile error (irb):17: syntax error, unexpected kOR, expecting kTHEN or ':' or '\n' or ';' when x==1 or x==2 ^ "or" and "and" both exhibit the behaviour in ruby1.8/1.9. workaround 1 put parens around the condition (not again) 2 replace or/and with ||/&& i believe there are other similar quirks when using "and/or".. has ruby relegated the use of "and/or"....? best regards -botp On Feb 4, 9:55=A0pm, botp <botp...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > just got hit w the ff > > > case > > when x=3D=3D1 or x=3D=3D2 > > =A0 print "yeoh!" > > end x =3D 5 =3D=3D>5 case x when 2,3 p 'no' when 4,5 p 'yes' end "yes" =3D=3D>nil On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM, w_a_x_man <w_a_x_man@yahoo.com> wrote: #> x =3D 5 #> =A0 =A0=3D=3D>5 #> case x #> =A0when 2,3 #> =A0 =A0p 'no' #> =A0when 4,5 #> =A0 =A0p 'yes' #> end of course i know that ;-) im talking about the second type of "case", eg > case > when x.baz and y.foo .... best regards -botp botp wrote: > i believe there are other similar quirks when using "and/or".. > has ruby relegated the use ...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience working in UNIX environment. Good working knowledge of Oracle RDBMS and PL/SQL) Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no to Karthik@bhaninfo.com. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com # 1572, 7 th Floor Suites, 1 Blue Hill Plaza Pearl River,NY-10965 www.bhaninfo.com ...

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Gary Sokolich """"""

Using "fsolve": How to control iteration using "residuals" and "norm of step"??
Hello Everyone, I am using fsolve to solve a system of linear equations and it&#8217;s working fine. However, I have a coupe of issues: (i) Even when the solution (alpha) converges, I am getting the message to choose a new point. I am guessing that it has to do with &#8220;norm of step&#8221; as probably the code is trying a smaller step. I am using option like this: options = optimset('Jacobian','on', 'algorithm', 'Levenberg-Marquardt','Display','iter-detailed', 'MaxFunEvals', 10000, 'MaxIter', 10000,'TolX'...

Re: "out" and "in out"
"no reliable initial value" means, you cannot rely on the value, but it may have a value. This depends on the parameter passing mechanism, which is _not_ related to the parameter mode (contrary to what many people think). So the parameter mode is there (nearly) solely for the information of the reader. The parameter passing mechanism for all kinds of parameters is defined in the RM. There are parameters passed by copy (in and out), by reference; for some it is explicitly left undefined. In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely on this, rely only on the mode, i.e. the parameter st is undefined upon entering the procedure modify, so when you only write component 2, upon return, only component 2 has been written. Under slight variations, the result of your code might be <garbage character>U<garbage character>. Another thing: Don't rely upon s1'First = 1. Component 2 might not exist. You could call modify like so: X: String (25..30); modify (X); Now s1(2) inevitably will raise Constraint_Error. ____________________________________________________ Aufnehmen, abschicken, nah sein - So einfach ist WEB.DE Video-Mail: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=021200 "Christoph Karl Walter Grein" <AdaMagica@web.de> wrote: > > In your case, the passing mechanism is by reference, so you get what you get. But don't rely on this, rely only on the mode, i.e. the parameter st is undefined...

"==" is NOT TRUE "==", WHY?
[CODE START] x=5; y=8; if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) a = 3 else a = 8 end [CODE END] When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. Why? Kindly advise. Thanks. "onemilimeter Chen" <onemm@example.com> wrote in message <g7adrj$5tr$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > [CODE START] > x=5; > y=8; > if (x + y + 1E-15 == 13) > a = 3 > else > a = 8 > end > [CODE END] > > When x + y + 1E-15, the code above returns a = 8. > When x + y + 1E-16, the code above returns a = 3. > > Why? ...

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

why have both "." and "->" ?
I used to remember why c++ needed both ? Could somebody help me here ? For example class A{ f(); }; A* aa; You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. Raj "raj" <rajkumar@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d7fee6d0.0406230748.694b966b@posting.google.com... > I used to remember why c++ needed both ? > Could somebody help me here ? > > For example > > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. > > Raj There is a difference I believe that xxxx->yyyy is used if xxxx is a pointer to an object/class and xxxx.yyyyy if xxxx is the object/classs > class A{ > f(); > }; > > A* aa; > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both operators. IMHO it's simply convenience. Bye, Marco raj wrote: > > You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa).f()". So why does C++ need both > operators. The second form involves more typing and requires more effort to read. -- Russell Hanneken eunaarxra@cbobk.pbz Use ROT13 to decode my email address. In message <WOhCc.15115$Wr.8451@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Russell Hanneken <me@privacy.net> writes >raj wrote: >> >> You could do either "aa->f()" or "(*aa...

Using "If" and "NDSolve" together
Hello! I have a tricky job to do: I want to simulate something, and want to assign a value to a variable under certain conditions. Those are, if time is within a certain interval, I want that variable to have that value. Otherwise, I want it to have other value. Until now, I have been trying to use the following command: Funcao[first_, last_] := Plot[A[t] /. NDSolve[ {A'[t] == k0 A0 - k1 A[t], B'[t] == k1 A[t] - k2 B[t], C'[t] == k2 B[t] - k3 C[t], A[0] == 2 10^-6, B[0] == 0, C[0] == 0} /. k0 -> 10^-2 /. k1 -> 10^-5 /. k2 -&g...

"between" is using index but "like" is not
I have a table with a text column and I'd like to find entries matching "pattern*" in that column. When using a between i get: sd=> explain analyze select id,name, shortname from tr where shortname between 'Run_' and 'RunZ'; QUERY PLAN ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Index Scan using tr_shortname_idx on traces (cost=0.00.....

Should I use "SERVER_NAME" or "HTTP_HOST"
After reading the site: http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/mar/server-name-versus-http-host Is that mean we should better use the 'SERVER_NAME' instead of "HTTP_HOST"? howa wrote: > After reading the site: http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/mar/server-name-versus-http-host > > Is that mean we should better use the 'SERVER_NAME' instead of > "HTTP_HOST"? Well it would depend on the context, wouldn't it? Hugh Oxford wrote: > howa wrote: > > After reading the site: http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/mar/server-name-versus-http-host > > > > Is that mean we should better use the 'SERVER_NAME' instead of > > "HTTP_HOST"? > > Well it would depend on the context, wouldn't it? I have multiple domain listening on the same IP/port. So my php need to find out which domain user is requesting for. So should I use which of them is more reliable/secure? howa wrote: > > Hugh Oxford wrote: >> howa wrote: >>> After reading the site: http://shiflett.org/blog/2006/mar/server-name-versus-http-host >>> >>> Is that mean we should better use the 'SERVER_NAME' instead of >>> "HTTP_HOST"? >> Well it would depend on the context, wouldn't it? > > I have multiple domain listening on the same IP/port. So my php need > to find out which domain user is requesting for. > So should I use which of them is more reliable/secu...

how to using sub replace "*" or "-"
Hi All Machine AIX 5.3 How to using sub replace "*" or "-" ? * to Jan-dec 1-6 to 1 - 6 ? add one space before and after - moonhkt On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 07:04:58 -0700 (PDT) moonhkt <moonhkt@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All > > Machine AIX 5.3 > > How to using sub replace "*" or "-" ? > > * to Jan-dec > 1-6 to 1 - 6 ? add one space before and after - > > moonhkt > sub(/\*/, "Jan-dec") sub(/-/, " - ") if that's not what you want, you have to provide more details. On Jul 12, 10:12=A0pm, pk <p...@pk.invalid> wrote: > On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 07:04:58 -0700 (PDT) > > moonhkt <moon...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Hi All > > > Machine AIX 5.3 > > > How to using sub replace "*" or "-" ? > > > * to Jan-dec > > 1-6 to 1 - 6 ? =A0add one space before and after - > > > moonhkt > > sub(/\*/, "Jan-dec") > sub(/-/, " - ") > > if that's not what you want, you have to provide more details. It works. I can change all the cron job into excel format. ...

Web resources about - "Plagiarism" or "fair use" or "~intended use" for WEB published material - comp.dsp