about DSP

Can anyone tell me about the application of DSP in telecommunication?
Do you have any technology involved? Thanks

comp.dsp 20333 articles. 1 followers. allnor (8509) is leader. Post Follow

<laura_pretty05@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me about the application of DSP in telecommunication?

Yes - it's used all over the place in telecom. Any time you have discrete
signals (digitized signals) and they undergo any sort of processing - that's
DSP...and there's plenty of that in telecommunication.

> Do you have any technology involved? Thanks

What do you mean? Clearly there is technology involved - it doesn't happen
by magic.

Cheers
Bhaskar

0
bhaskart1 (258)
3/14/2006 6:39:24 PM
Bhaskar,
    I mean how telecommunication is used in DSP? Any theory involved?
Thanks!!
Laura

Bhaskar Thiagarajan =E5=AF=AB=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A

> <laura_pretty05@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me about the application of DSP in telecommunication?
>
> Yes - it's used all over the place in telecom. Any time you have discrete
> signals (digitized signals) and they undergo any sort of processing - tha=
t's
> DSP...and there's plenty of that in telecommunication.
>
> > Do you have any technology involved? Thanks
>
> What do you mean? Clearly there is technology involved - it doesn't happen
> by magic.
>=20
> Cheers
> Bhaskar

laura_pretty05@yahoo.com.hk wrote:
> Bhaskar,
>     I mean how telecommunication is used in DSP? Any theory involved?

Are you tripping over your tongue as I sometimes do? Did you mean to ask
how much DSP is used in telecommunications?

Much commercial television sent over analog transmitters is processed
digitally. All cell phones and cordless telephones use DSP. Satellite
TV, satellite telephone links, and lots more (like land-line telephony)
that I'm too sleepy to recall at the moment is processed digitally. What
are you trying to get at?

Jerry
jya (12871)
3/15/2006 5:31:30 AM
laura_pretty05@yahoo.com.hk wrote:
> Bhaskar,
>     I mean how telecommunication is used in DSP? Any theory involved?

You might enjoy this presentation on how DSP hardware and voice
communication theory grew up together:

http://www-ee.stanford.edu/~gray/swim.pdf

Regards,
Andor

0
andor.bariska (1307)

Dsp
To do well dsp what areas of math I must know well, and also what dsp starter kit for learning you would recommend me? Dave Dave wrote: > To do well dsp what areas of math I must know well, and also what dsp > starter kit for learning you would recommend me? > > Dave > Try this page: www.dspguru.com And check out the beginner books section. Rick Lyons' book is an excellent place to start. R I recommend following Math area: Probability , statistics, random theory DSP kit: ADSP 2181, SHARC, TMS 320C54xx ArunKumar "Dave" <davecle@SoftHome.net> wr...

/dev/dsp... how to target different dsp ?
i'm using xmms... and after doing a cvsup/rebuild from (8.0-release) to: FreeBSD elhdt.hoe 8.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE #3: Sat Jun 12 15:39:04 PDT 2010 root@elhdt:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386 xmms nolonger works... and i think that problem is that 8.1-pre- release can now see additional sound devices that weren't seen before... my problem, is how do i get xmms working again (i think, rebind the /dev/dsp device?) how to bind /dev/dsp to a different beast.... elhdt# ls -l /dev/dsp crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 117 Jun 18 13:07 /dev/dsp elhdt# ls -l /dev/dsp* crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 111 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp0.0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 117 Jun 18 13:07 /dev/dsp0.1 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 90 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp1.0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 89 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp2.0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 88 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp3.0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 87 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp4.0 hmm... clearly, devfs is synthesizing the response to the stat for /dev/dsp by the first ls -l, and the second shows that /dev/dsp is not really there, (the shell expansion of '*' doesn't see it) - so /dev/dsp is probably some sort of artificial virtual object synthesized by devfs. my problem is this. i want to bind to the dsp3.0 (pcm3) equivalent device, and not the pcm equivalent device (i think). how can i do this ? any help or suggestions would be appreciated! elh...

Which DSP vendor has the best DSP architecture and why?
There are 4 major supplier of general purpose DSPs; Agere, TI, Analog Devices and Motorola. Which DSP vendor has the best DSP architecture(s), DSPs, tools, support and why? Thanks.........dp On 19 Dec 2003 19:25:35 -0800, petkevich@yahoo.com (dp) wrote: >There are 4 major supplier of general purpose DSPs; Agere, TI, Analog >Devices and Motorola. Which DSP vendor has the best DSP >architecture(s), DSPs, tools, support and why? > >Thanks.........dp Your question tickled me. It's like asking, "Who makes the best gasoline-powered vehicle, who has the best maintenan...

DSP using a non DSP processor
My requirement is to use a moderate controller (Non DSP) and take analog sinusoidal signals (half second cycle 50 hz) , take their samples, do a Fourier transform to remove harmonics and then multiply them to find instantaneous power. Then do a Low Power Filtering operation on this power signal. Is it possible? has anyone implemented anything similar or am I being too ambitious? please post your comments about its feasibility. Thanks, Rohan Rohan wrote: > My requirement is to use a moderate controller (Non DSP) and take > analog sinusoidal signals (half second cycle 50 hz) , take their > samples, do a Fourier transform to remove harmonics and then multiply > them to find instantaneous power. Then do a Low Power Filtering > operation on this power signal. > Is it possible? has anyone implemented anything similar or am I being > too ambitious? > please post your comments about its feasibility. > > Thanks, > Rohan > The big question is "in real time?". Do you want to do this in C ? So, Yea but, is your answer. Rohan wrote: > My requirement is to use a moderate controller (Non DSP) and take > analog sinusoidal signals (half second cycle 50 hz) , take their > samples, do a Fourier transform to remove harmonics and then multiply > them to find instantaneous power. Then do a Low Power Filtering > operation on this power signal. > Is it possible? has anyone implemented anything similar or am I being > too a...

DSP Group TeakLite DSP Board
I've pulled a DSP Group Teak Lite DSP development board out of the bin at work. It's about 3-4 years old. Their web site asks you to login before you can look at docs an support S/W etc. Does anyone have an old support login for this site? Cheers, Alfie. ...

DSP@
DSP@ fetches the address of the top of stack, and places it on the stack. In doing so, of course, a new stack entry has to be created. So, which address goes on the stack? The previous one (before the new stack entry) or the new one? Currently, my code uses the new address: INCT R4 - create new stack entry MOV R4,*R4 - place address of stack pointer in top stack entry Mark. Op Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:58:16 -0700 (PDT) schreef MarkWills: > DSP@ fetches the address of the top of stack, and places it on the > stack. > > In doing so, of course, a new stack entry has to be created. So, which > address goes on the stack? The previous one (before the new stack > entry) or the new one? > > Currently, my code uses the new address: > > INCT R4 - create new stack entry > MOV R4,*R4 - place address of stack pointer in top stack entry > > Mark. If you have a machine with no native PUSH and POP, you can choose either of them. Strange to see a stack growing upwards, do you use a TI 99 or something? FIGFORTH for the 1802 had the data stack growing upwards and the return stack downwards. If the sequence 'DSP@ DSP!' does not change DEPTH, you're ok. On an Intel/AMD/Cyrix etc. PC you can do 'PUSH SP' followed by 'POP SP' and the stack pointer will not change, providing you do this on a 286 (just checked;-) or higher. -- Coos CHForth, 16 bit DOS applications http://home.hccnet.nl/j.j.haak/forth.html MarkWills <mar...

which DSP?
Hello, I have a Yakumo Hypersound 128 MP3-Player and would like to modify the firmware. Can anybody tell we, which DSP is used? Thank you in advance, Daniel ...

Fixed Point DSP Vs Floating Point DSP
Hi, I searched the internet to find out the difference between a fixed point & a floating point DSP. To my surprise, I did not find a well defined difference. Plz, can anyone differentiate between the two so that a layman can also understand ? Thanx in advance... Sandeep Chikkerur wrote: > > Hi, > > I searched the internet to find out the difference between a fixed > point & a floating point DSP. > To my surprise, I did not find a well defined difference. > > Plz, can anyone differentiate between the two so that a layman can > also understand ? > > Thanx in advance... A fixed-point DSP does only fixed-point arithmetic, and usually has hardware to facilitate multiplication. A floating-point DSP has extra hardware for floating-point addition and multiplication (addition is a bit more involved than multiplication) and often omits the hardware to facilitate fixed-poing multiplication. Expect some difference in the size of a few registers. A matter of curiosity (mine): What difference had you imagined? Jerry -- Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get. ����������������������������������������������������������������������� In article <d5d88eb5.0306260219.36f87462@posting.google.com>, sandeep_mc81@yahoo.com says... > Hi, > > I searched the internet to find out the difference between a fixed > point & a floating point DSP. > To my surprise, I did not find a wel...

dsp.SignalSource not found (dsp System Toolbox is available)
Hi, I'm trying to run the code available here: http://www.mathworks.com/help/dsp/ref/dsp.cicdecimatorclass.html I keep on getting the error : Undefined variable "dsp" or class "dsp.SignalSource". I have dsp System Toolbox Version 8.2 , and I can use other objects inside the DSP package but not SignalSource. Any idea why? Thanks in advance "H Hachem" <hhachem00@gmail.com> wrote in message <kg0mvb$p2b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hi, > > I'm trying to run the code available here: http://www.mathworks.com/help/dsp/ref/dsp.cicdecimatorclass.html > I keep on getting the error : > Undefined variable "dsp" or class "dsp.SignalSource". > I have dsp System Toolbox Version 8.2 , and I can use other objects inside the DSP package but not SignalSource. Any idea why? > > Thanks in advance I just checked the supported versions. Signalsource is only supported in R2012b, I have R2012a :/ ...

Got DSP? Senior DSP Communications Engineer-Relo available
Senior Digital Communications Engineer My client, located here in the Silicon Valley, is looking for a talented individual to join the Signal Processing Systems Engineering Team to work concurrently on various state-of-the-art communications systems, both internally and externally. Job Responsibilities This person will possess a range of skills that encompass both broad and deep expertise in the digital communications application space at the systems level in addition to having the skills required to implement the various functions in these systems. The successful candidate will ...

Looking for DSP/BIOS driver for the SCIs in TI F2812 DSP
Can anybody direct me to a ready to use serial driver for F2812s integrated with the DSP/BIOS? Last time I checked TI's web site they provided only one application note for a different, older processor. Thanks, Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ] Roberto Waltman wrote: > Can anybody direct me to a ready to use serial driver for F2812s > integrated with the DSP/BIOS? > > Last time I checked TI's web site they provided only one application > note for a different, older processor. Based on my experience with the F2812 and the DSP/BIOS, I don't really see the need for an off the shelf serial driver. To make matters worse, off the shelf drivers for the F2812 are somewhat limited in availability because of the lack of a board support package for the 2000 series. The example code in the application notes will provide you with a fine starting point for working with the serial port both with and without interrupts. From that point, you can simply import the routines, modifided as desired, into your code and point the SCI interrupt in the DSP/BIOS configuration file to your RX and TX handler. If there is something specific that you are having trouble with or don't understand, I would be happy to try and answer your questions. There has also been a tremendous amount of discussion regarding use of the serial ports on the C2000 discussion group on TI's webpage which you may want to look at. "Now...

I want to learn DSP, but I don't know which DSP should I
Dear all, I want to learn DSP, but I don't know which DSP i should choose. TI TMS67xx or ADI blackfin or OMAP or others? My target is to implement the h.264 standard in it. Which DSP could satisfy this target? Could anyone give me suggestion? Thanks a lot. BR, Eddie Chou Eddie wrote: > Dear all, > I want to learn DSP, but I don't know which DSP i should choose. > TI TMS67xx or ADI blackfin or OMAP or others? > My target is to implement the h.264 standard in it. > Which DSP could satisfy this target? > Could anyone give me suggestion? > Thanks a lot. > > BR, > Eddie Chou > "DSP" itself isn't processor specific -- it's a specialized branch of mathematics that lends itself to software solutions. As far as the specific processor goes, as long as it has enough bandwidth it'll do. I'd look for the one that has the best support and tools. If it's just for learning you may want to choose the Pentium that you probably used to write your post, at least initially. Once you understand the algorithmic parts, then consider which processor you want to migrate to. -- Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services http://www.wescottdesign.com Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ "Eddie" <b108463@yahoo.com.tw> writes: > Dear all, > I want to learn DSP, but I don't know which DSP i should choose. > TI TMS67xx or ADI blackfin or OMAP or others? &g...

what architectural features in DSP prevent DSP from executing control code efficiently?
I always read articles which says that DSP can't execute control code efficiently like RISC. I am confused what architectural features in DSP prevent DSP from executing control code efficiently. Things that come to my mind is shorter pipeline, branch prediction. can anyone tell me what else? thanks. Best Regards Jogging On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:56:13 -0800, joggingsong wrote: > I always read articles which says that DSP can't execute control code > efficiently like RISC. > I am confused what architectural features in DSP prevent DSP from > executing control code efficiently. > Things that come to my mind is shorter pipeline, branch prediction. > can anyone tell me what else? > thanks. Nothing, really. Traditional DSPs of the 56k vintage were just fine at bit-bashing[1]. Word addressability (and 24-bit words) get slightly in the way of neat handling of common byte-oriented peripherals, but it's no biggie. I've done both, and the code's just as neat as you'd find in most "microcontrollers". You just wouldn't spec one if that was all you had to do: no point paying for a flipping great multiply-accumulate unit and three or four parallel busses if you're not going to use them. [1] More modern processors are getting somewhat longer in the pipeline, and don't turn quite as well, but they make up for that with higher straight-line speed. The code is usually just as efficient, time-wise, but larger. On the oth...

what architectural features in DSP prevent DSP from executing control code efficiently?
I always read articles which says that DSP can't execute control code efficiently like RISC. I am confused what architectural features in DSP prevent DSP from executing control code efficiently. Things that come to my mind is shorter pipeline, branch prediction. can anyone tell me what else? thanks. Best Regards Jogging On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:58:21 -0800, joggingsong wrote: > I always read articles which says that DSP can't execute control code > efficiently like RISC. > I am confused what architectural features in DSP prevent DSP from > executing control code efficiently. > Things that come to my mind is shorter pipeline, branch prediction. > can anyone tell me what else? > thanks. Nothing, really. Traditional DSPs of the 56k vintage were just fine at bit-bashing[1]. Word addressability (and 24-bit words) get slightly in the way of neat handling of common byte-oriented peripherals, but it's no biggie. I've done both, and the code's just as neat as you'd find in most "microcontrollers". You just wouldn't spec one if that was all you had to do: no point paying for a flipping great multiply-accumulate unit and three or four parallel busses if you're not going to use them. [1] More modern processors are getting somewhat longer in the pipeline, and don't turn quite as well, but they make up for that with higher straight-line speed. The code is usually just as efficient, time-wise, but larger. On t...

Looking for a GOOD explanation of the proof and application of DST, and other DSP techniques.. DSP encyclopedia?
I was reading some tutorials @ dspdimension.com, and they were talkin about techniques that I'd never heard of before, such as the Discrete Sin Transform. The explanation was understandable if the reader does a lot o thinking, but more diagrams and possibly even animations would convey th concepts more clearly and require much less time from the reader. (Although to be fair, it seems like almost no authors of technical materia go to these lengths.. kind of a shame I think.. I think it was Feynman wh said something like "For anything we really understand, we should be abl to craft an explanation that even a child can understand.") Explaining the proof would probably clear up any lingerin doubts/undiscussed logical holes in the readers mind, provided that th proof is presented in a clear manner accompanied by plenty of diagram and/or animations.. but this is outside the scope of the tutorial. This got me thinking: I have no formal education in DSP, and recently I'v been stumbling across all sorts of techniques that I previously didn't kno existed, many of which have potential to be very useful for what I' interested in. Since I don't have the luxury (or torture, depending on ho you look at it =P ) of a formalized education in DSP, can anyone recommen book(s)/website(s) that present a complete list and explanation of the ful library of DSP techniques, or do a very good job of explaining at least on DSP technique? I read Lyons' "Underst...

WTS: APX-SL-DSP-3 288 port Voice/Data DSP cards
Want to sell, APX-SL-DSP-3 288 port Voice/Data DSP cards for the Lucen APX 8000 (APX8000). $3450, including 30-day warranty. Contact: Rob rjb@isptrader.com (216) 702-7840 http://isptrader.com (company info -- isptrader ...

WTS APX-SL-DSP-3 288 port Voice/Data DSP cards #4
Want to sell, APX-SL-DSP-3 288 port Voice/Data DSP cards for the Lucen APX 8000 (APX8000). $3450, including 30-day warranty. Contact: Rob rjb@isptrader.com (216) 702-7840 http://isptrader.com (company info -- isptrader ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45327157605)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45327157605) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45328014410)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45328014410) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design Memory system, cache, DMA and MMU design Instruction set and/or cycle-accurate simulator development Practical experience in the following areas is highly desirable: Compiler development Circuit design, especially register files, arithmetic units and memories Chip-level architecture modeling BSEE required; MSEE preferred Scope: Develop DSP algorithms, instructions and models. Help develop instruction set simulators and cycle-accurate simulators for new DSP core. Write specifications for new DSP architecture. Work with microarchitects, designers and software developers to optimize DSP architecture. Work with management, customers, system designers and implementation ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45328657604)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45328657604) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45337214407)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45337214407) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45326814407)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45326814407) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45336332404)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45336332404) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45328957605)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45328957605) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design ...

Web resources about - about DSP - comp.dsp

Trump Does Mock Dramatic Reading of Michelle Fields Statement at CNN Town Hall
Donald Trump seriously kicked off his appearance at CNN’s GOP town hall tonight by––and I’m not kidding here––doing a mock dramatic reading of ...

'Scalia Died so Unions Can Live' and, Finally, Something Both R and D Voters in AZ Agree On: 'BradCast' ...
I'm back today on The BradCast , after Nicole Sandler of RadioOrNot.com filled in for a few days! (Thanks, Nicki!!!) And while little has changed ...

How Do You Design a Cutting Board for One-Handed People?
Many cooking tasks are commonly done with two hands. What do you do if that's not an option for you? Sichen Sun developed this mechanical cutting ...

Google offers landline telephone service in US cities
Xinhua Google offers landline telephone service in US cities Xinhua This file photo taken on January 11, 2011 shows a screen image of the ...

Facebook Messenger is reportedly taking on Apple Pay and Samsung Pay
Facebook may be looking to get into the digital wallet game, according to source code uncovered by The Information . Some of the commands discovered ...

Governor Jay Inslee Bans Most State Travel to North Carolina After Anti-LGBT Law
by Heidi Groover Governor Jay Inslee: "The discriminatory policies being promoted by North Carolina is not something our state condones or supports." ...

NCAA Final Four will be broadcast in virtual reality for the first time
The NCAA has decided to broadcast the most important part of this year's college basketball tournament, the Final Four , in virtual reality, ...

Oscar-winning actress Patty Duke dies at 69
Actress and singer Patty Duke, who won an Oscar at age 16 for her portrayal of deaf-blind political activist Helen Keller in "The Miracle Worker," ...

Instagram now allows videos up to 60 seconds, up from 30
Facebook-owned Instagram just increased the time limit on user video uploads to a full minute, or 60 seconds.

Superhero Bits: Batman v Superman Ending, DC Comics Rebirth, Conan Drives the Batmobile & More
How did Zack Snyder convince Christopher Nolan that the ending to Batman v Superman would work? What titles are part of the new DC Comics Rebirth ...