About "wavetable synthesis" as described in "Applications of Digital Signal Processing"

Dear Dr. Mitra,

I've been hoping to possibly run into you sometime at a professional
conference, perhaps the IEEE WASPAA (a.k.a. Mohonk), but I haven't been
to that conference since 2001 and I haven't yet seen you at an Audio
Engineering Convention (and, admittedly, I'm not in IEEE).  I am now
working for a company in Calabasas (Music Mastermind) so I hope that
someday I can meet you while I am local to USC.

I was sorta exploring the dsp.stackexchange.com site and I came upon a
short monograph attributed to you called "Applications of Digital Signal
Processing".  I don't know if this is part of an existing book in print,
or is on the way to print.  I found the link to at the University of
Vermont site, which is quite coincidental since Burlington Vermont is my
permanent address and the prof listing it (Gagan Mirchandani) is someone
I am acquainted with.

The work appears useful and valuable to me, and I immediately noticed
Sections 5 and 6, which are about what I do for a living and where I
also have published.  In fact, one old paper I have written (that later
resulted in the Audio EQ Cookbook) called "The Equivalence of Various
Methods of Computing Biquad Coefficients for Audio Parametric
Equalizers" (long title) came from a paper by Dana Massie that came from
your Regalia and Mitra paper about APFs and the bell-shaped parametric
EQ.  I have also written about wavetable synthesis ("Wavetable synthesis
101, a fundamental perspective") which is what I want to write you about.

I don't believe previous authors, nor even the seminal authors
themselves, would identify or categorize the Karplus-Strong algorithm
for generating harmonically-rich musical tones as "wavetable synthesis".
  there is a delay-line with feedback, and so also do reverb algorithms
have delay lines and feedback, but they are not "wavetables".

Wavetable Synthesis is more about what the Palm PPG (
http://wolfgangpalm.com/ ) and Waldorf software synthesizers have been
doing.  Another, more local example is the Prophet VS synthesizer (Dave
Smith Instruments, also the creator of MIDI),  There has been, nearly 2
decades ago, a confusion about the meaning of "wavetable synthesis"
because of Creative Labs and the Soundblaster sound card that label
their sample-playback-and-looping rendering of tones as "wavetable
synthesis".  It took some years and some editing of certain blogs and
sites (including Wikipedia) to set the record straight that simple
soundfile playback (even with sample interpolation and playback speed
adjustment for changing pitch) with a single loop at the end is not what
the original "wavetable synthesis" had been.  It was used as a marketing
term by Creative Labs.

But neither is the Karplus-Strong technique wavetable synthesis.  I
would judge that Karplus-Strong more closely is categorized as a simple
form of Physical Modeling Synthesis, and I think that Julius Smith would
agree.

Wavetable Synthesis is similar to the pedestrian
sample-playback-and-looping technique, except that in wavetable
synthesis, it is virtually always in looping mode.  And the loops are
always exactly one period or cycle of the quasiperiodic tone.  Yes,
there is at least one paper (by Andrew Horner and one of his students)
combining Wavetable and an unrepeated attack waveform of the instrument,
but in wavetable synthesis, the tone spectra morphs from one line
spectrum to the next simply by cross-fading from one wavetable to the next.

If you want, I could help you describe what is fundamentally involved
with Wavetable Synthesis, how it relates to sample-playback-and-looping
and also to Additive Synthesis (wavetable synthesis can be thought of as
a way of performing additive synthesis of quasiperiodic tones where the
inverse Fourier transform is done in advance and not at the real-time
generation of the tone, the waveforms are pre-computed).

Also, if you want, I would be happy to meet with you in person at your
convenience (say at your office or even over food somewhere) since I am
not local (I am lucky to have found a little place to live in Malibu, by
the Backbone trail).

Although I haven't written a monograph myself, I have participated in
some other efforts including Principles of Digital Audio by Pohlmann and
also that large compendium by Mark Khars and Karlheinz Brandenburg (Dana
Massie had a chapter on "Wavetable Sampling Synthesis").

I can also be contacted by cell phone: 802/310-4096 if you would want.

Best regards,

Robert Bristow-Johnson

--

r b-j                  rbj@audioimagination.com

rbj (4086)
7/29/2013 1:58:24 AM
comp.dsp 20333 articles. 1 followers. allnor (8509) is leader. Post Follow

Goddamn Thunderbird doesn't tell me who I am writing to.

i mean FUCK, can't i write a goddamn email to someone without risking
publishing the goddamn thing to the whole fuckin world?!!

--

r b-j                  rbj@audioimagination.com

rbj (4086)
7/29/2013 2:02:28 AM
robert bristow-johnson <rbj@audioimagination.com> writes:

> Goddamn Thunderbird doesn't tell me who I am writing to.
>
> i mean FUCK, can't i write a goddamn email to someone without risking
> publishing the goddamn thing to the whole fuckin world?!!

I hate it when I do that.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
robert bristow-johnson <rbj@audioimagination.com> writes:

> Goddamn Thunderbird doesn't tell me who I am writing to.

Switch to gnus and learn emacs, dude. Might was well switch to linux
while you're at it.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
0
yates9428 (616)
7/29/2013 2:49:30 AM
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 19:02:28 -0700, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> Goddamn Thunderbird doesn't tell me who I am writing to.
>
> i mean FUCK, can't i write a goddamn email to someone without risking
> publishing the goddamn thing to the whole fuckin world?!!

At least you weren't trying to ream him a new one, or sending billets doux
to your mistress, complete with really stupid nicknames and thinly veiled
references to actions that are at least technically illegal in most
Southern states.

I thought it was very nice and polite.  More polite than, for instance,
you ever are to us.

I wasn't sure at first if it was an open letter or a misdirect, but your
above response does at least clarify that point.

And in case you're wondering -- this is part of the reason that I prefer
having separate email and news clients.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

0
tim818 (243)
7/29/2013 2:50:18 AM
i just gotta make sure this doesn't go public...

On 7/28/13 7:50 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

> I thought it was very nice and polite.  More polite than, for instance,
> you ever are to us.

oh c'mon, "ever"?

who here do i pick on?  (besides the heathen heretical DFT periodicity
deniers)

oh, i guess that there are the
we-must-count-from-one-otherwise-MATLAB-would-break crowd (not too many
on comp.dsp but there were a couple, at least)

then there was those troll-kinda guys (who were they? i can only
remember E.Bob. but there were others).

i don't pick on noobs.  i don't think i do.

> I wasn't sure at first if it was an open letter or a misdirect, but your
> above response does at least clarify that point.

it coulda been worse.  but it's not the first time this happened.  some
designer or coder should be hurt in retribution for deciding to do it
that way.  death penalty might be a little harsh.

> And in case you're wondering -- this is part of the reason that I prefer
> having separate email and news clients.

i just want my life to be simple.  as simple as possible.  i just want
something that i can run on this mac and Google Groups became horribly
bad and eternal september doesn't do a webpage-based service (but i'm
grateful it's free and not icky in some way), it seemed that i had to
get a client to do it, and the only one i found was Thunderbird.  dunno
why Apple's Mail does this dumb RSS that you can't get rid of, but it
doesn't do USENET like all of the old email clients used to do.

ya know, i used to know how product builds go (although i left it to
someone else to be the keeper of the makefile) and how version control
works, i used to be able to use the CodeWarrior and SourceSafe to build
an app (or a code resource), how to back up, commit, check-in, "push",
whatever you wanna call it.

now it's just so much more complicated when what i wanna do is just the
same as it used to be.  that's like negative progress: i have to pay
more to do the same, a declining payback.  but isn't that opposite of
the promise of modern computers (particularly the user-friendly
revolution that sorta came with the Mac in 1984)?  the computers exist
to make my life easier, not the other way around.  how come is it so
much more complicated to do anything (even a simple graphic or
something) now than it used to be?

--

r b-j                  rbj@audioimagination.com

rbj (4086)
7/29/2013 3:38:30 AM
On 7/28/13 7:49 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
> robert bristow-johnson<rbj@audioimagination.com>  writes:
>
>> Goddamn Thunderbird doesn't tell me who I am writing to.
>
> Switch to gnus and learn emacs, dude. Might was well switch to linux
> while you're at it.

grumble, grumble...

and i have to learn all sorts of abbreviated command lines, right?  we
live to serve the computer and talk its language, certainly not the
other way around.

--

r b-j                  rbj@audioimagination.com

rbj (4086)
7/29/2013 3:58:04 AM
robert bristow-johnson <rbj@audioimagination.com> writes:

> On 7/28/13 7:49 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
>> robert bristow-johnson<rbj@audioimagination.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Goddamn Thunderbird doesn't tell me who I am writing to.
>>
>> Switch to gnus and learn emacs, dude. Might was well switch to linux
>> while you're at it.
>
> grumble, grumble...
>
> and i have to learn all sorts of abbreviated command lines, right?  we
> live to serve the computer and talk its language, certainly not the
> other way around.

You're talking about implementation, not policy, and policy is BY FAR
what's more important to me. Apple and especially Microsnot like to tell
you how you're supposed to use your computer. I rather enjoy the
diametrical relationship.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com
0
yates9428 (616)
7/29/2013 4:16:42 AM
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:50:18 -0500, Tim Wescott
<tim@seemywebsite.really> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 19:02:28 -0700, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>
>> Goddamn Thunderbird doesn't tell me who I am writing to.
>>
>> i mean FUCK, can't i write a goddamn email to someone without risking
>> publishing the goddamn thing to the whole fuckin world?!!

Apparently not.   ;)

FWIW,  I've been using Thunderbird for a LONG time, and Eudora
(essentially Thunderbird) for a long time before that, and I'm not
sure what leads to this sort of problem.   I've only rarely ever used
Thunderbird for newsgroups, though.   I found it a little clumsy for
that, but that was a long time ago.

>At least you weren't trying to ream him a new one, or sending billets doux
>to your mistress, complete with really stupid nicknames and thinly veiled
>references to actions that are at least technically illegal in most
>Southern states.

I seem to recall that that happened here once before...I think.   Was
it here or somewhere else?   I believe it was addressed to "Ginny" and
lamented how his wife was interfering with their ability to have a
good time.

>I thought it was very nice and polite.  More polite than, for instance,
>you ever are to us.
>
>I wasn't sure at first if it was an open letter or a misdirect, but your
>above response does at least clarify that point.
>
>And in case you're wondering -- this is part of the reason that I prefer
>having separate email and news clients.
>
>--
>
>Tim Wescott
>Wescott Design Services
>http://www.wescottdesign.com

Eric Jacobsen
Anchor Hill Communications
http://www.anchorhill.com
0
eric.jacobsen (2636)
7/29/2013 4:28:27 AM
Am 29.07.13 04:02, schrieb robert bristow-johnson:

> Goddamn Thunderbird doesn't tell me who I am writing to.

Strange. I'm also using Thunderbird for both mail and news. Whenever
I've selected a news account and press on "Compose", I can see both in
the "From" line a greyish "News" as opposed to "GMX", and the "To"
displays a menubutton labelled "Newgroup:". I don't think I've made any
special settings.

	Christian

0
auriocus1 (391)
7/29/2013 5:59:06 AM
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:58:04 -0700, robert bristow-johnson
<rbj@audioimagination.com> wrote:

>On 7/28/13 7:49 PM, Randy Yates wrote:
>> robert bristow-johnson<rbj@audioimagination.com>  writes:
>>
>>> Goddamn Thunderbird doesn't tell me who I am writing to.
>>
>> Switch to gnus and learn emacs, dude. Might was well switch to linux
>> while you're at it.
>
>grumble, grumble...
>
>and i have to learn all sorts of abbreviated command lines, right?  we
>live to serve the computer and talk its language, certainly not the
>other way around.

Ask the hands that serve the machines of America !

boB

0
boB

On 7/28/13 9:28 PM, Eric Jacobsen wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:50:18 -0500, Tim Wescott
> <tim@seemywebsite.really>  wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 19:02:28 -0700, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Goddamn Thunderbird doesn't tell me who I am writing to.
>>>
>>> i mean FUCK, can't i write a goddamn email to someone without risking
>>> publishing the goddamn thing to the whole fuckin world?!!
>
> Apparently not.   ;)
>
> FWIW,  I've been using Thunderbird for a LONG time, and Eudora
> (essentially Thunderbird) for a long time before that, and I'm not
> sure what leads to this sort of problem.

here's what led to the problem:

1. i'm a cheapskate, i want free USENET access.  personally, i think my
ISP should provide a direct NNTP connection like they used to, but they
don't anymore.

2. i'm a cheapskate, i want a free email client because i am just doing
ordinary email stuff.

3. for years i had been using Google Groups.  GG used to be quite good,
especially right after they took over for DejaNews.  but GG has steadily
declined in quality and usefulness and now GG sucks green donkey dick.
totally sucky, had to get away from GG.  sometimes i try to use GG to
dig up an archived post, but that doesn't work so good either.

4. eternal september appears to be the only other free USENET access
besides GG (which now sucks green donkey dick), but eternal september
apparently provides their USENET access only through a standard NNTP.

5. i'm a cheapskate, i want a free NNTP client.

6. being a cheapskate, i want to continue to use my old G4 Mac laptop,
it has plenty of crunch to do things like internet surfing and email.
why should i have to buy a new computer?

7. given all of the above, it appears that only Thunderbird was my only
solution.

8. whether you're viewing email or USENET, Thunderbird's main controls
in the upper left corner are "Get Mail" and "Write".  they look
identical, are identically labeled, and *appear* to have identical
function whether you're viewing email or USENET.

9. so now i want to email this prof and author whom i've known about
since 1993, i look him up and i copy his email address offa his official
USC webpage.  then i click on Thunderbird (which is already open).

10. but i make two mistakes, first i fail to note that it's comp.dsp in
front of me, not my email Inbox.  then i click "Write" and in my haste
fail to paste this email address i just copied into the "To:" field (and
fail to note that there *is* no "To:" field, but a "Newsgroup" fieild.

11. then i spend 45 minutes writing the letter forgetting that i forgot
to address it.

12. letter done; quick check for spelling; not too many underlined words
(because, you might notice i properly capitalized).

13. press "Send" button on the email window.  (it doesn't say "Post",
nor does the "Write" button say anything different than it would for
regular email.)

that is what led to this sort of problem.  i have subscribed to 3 other
USENET newsgroups, and if it had been one of two of them that are
moderated, at least i could have sent a panic email to the moderators to
ask them not to post.  in fact, they would not post it because it would
have been clearly off topic.  if i had sci.physics.acoustics up instead
of comp.dsp, it would have been posted to that newsgroup instead.

pissah!

--

r b-j                  rbj@audioimagination.com

rbj (4086)
7/29/2013 4:22:22 PM
On Monday, July 29, 2013 12:22:22 PM UTC-4, robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> [...]
>

> 11. then i spend 45 minutes writing the letter forgetting that i forgot
>
> to address it.
>

> 12. letter done; quick check for spelling; not too many underlined words
>
> (because, you might notice i properly capitalized).
>

> 13. press "Send" button on the email window.  (it doesn't say "Post",
>
> nor does the "Write" button say anything different than it would for
>
> regular email.)
>

> that is what led to this sort of problem.  i have subscribed to 3 other
>
> USENET newsgroups, and if it had been one of two of them that are
>
> moderated, at least i could have sent a panic email to the moderators to
>
> ask them not to post.  in fact, they would not post it because it would
>
> have been clearly off topic.  if i had sci.physics.acoustics up instead
>
> of comp.dsp, it would have been posted to that newsgroup instead.

Robert,

As Tim wrote, at least you didn't have anything embarrassing in your letter. If I'm going to write a long letter to someone, I tend to write it in a proper word processor to get it the way I want, and then I would bring it into my mail program to send it.

Clay

0
clay (793)

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

about "++" and "--"

"or" and "and"

"my" and "our"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

Gary Sokolich """"""

puts "\\".gsub("\\", "\\\\")

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

"for" inside "for"
dear community, there is no need to mention that i'm far from beeing a sh-professional. in a male file i am trying to do two things to all files in defined directories. < === snip =============================================== > @for FILE in $(TEMPLATES); do \ @for DIR_NAME in $(DIRS); do \ FILE_BASENAME=`basename $$FILE`; \ DIR_NAME=`dirname $$FILE`; \ mkdir -p $(DIRNAME); \ cat $$FILE \ | perl -pe "s%\@INSTALL_URL\@%$(INSTALL_URL)%g" \ > $(INSTALL_PATH)/$$FILE_BASENAME; \ done; done; < === snip ========================...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

How to change "/" to "\"
Now, the output as below /a/b/c.txt b/c.txt x:/b/c.txt , Need to change x:\b\c.txt #!/bin/ksh # echo.ksh a=/a/b/c.txt echo $a echo ${a#/*/} y=`echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\'` echo $y moon wrote: > Now, the output as below > > /a/b/c.txt > b/c.txt > x:/b/c.txt , Need to change x:\b\c.txt > > > #!/bin/ksh > # echo.ksh > a=/a/b/c.txt > echo $a > echo ${a#/*/} > y=`echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\'` > echo $y > > One escape necessary: echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\\' Two escapes necessar...

how to change "/" to "\"
iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. olympie@gmail.com wrote: > iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing > the pattrern "/" to "\" using the sed command. sed 's/\//\\/g' will replace all '/' with '\' srp -- http://saju.net.in Saju Pillai <saju.pillai@gmail.com> wrote: >> iam new to shell scripting and i have plz can anyone help in changing >> the pattrern "/" to "\" using ...

"A" is not equal "A"?
I was trying to convert String Array to String A through cycle and than compare the result with String B but eventhough results were the same it returned false. I'am working in BlueJ 3.1.0 Code is: public boolean Method () { String[] Example = {"a","b","c"}; String A = ""; String B = "abc" for (int i = 0; i<3 ; i++) { A = A + Example[i]; } if (A == B) { return true; } } never got true... I appreciate any suggestions how to solve this Den 08.04.2014 10:06, skrev 245dav@gmail.com:...

Web resources about - About "wavetable synthesis" as described in "Applications of Digital Signal Processing" - comp.dsp