band pass filter design on composite sinusoidal signals of 1 khz, 2khz and 3 khz

hi,
   i have 3 sinusoidal signals of frequency 1Khz, 2khz and 3 khz added
up to form a composite signal. i designed one bandpass filter centered
using FDATool in matlab. i tried to give pass band range as small as
1950 to 2050 (remember i want to allow only 2khz rejecting all others)
to as large as 1.5 Khz to 2.5Khz. The designed filter is an FIR filter
with attenuation set at 80. i was able to design many
filters..changing sampling frequency and passband parameters but none
of them gave me my input 2khz signal in output (all gave some
different type of waveforms in output).  i am more interested in
extracting out 2khz signal. i am not getting the output same as my
input sinusoidal 2khz signal. i feel..i am missing some basic theory
in this regard..plz do help me in this regard or guide me.

thanks
aizza

0
aizzaahmed (35)
2/8/2010 5:36:00 PM
comp.dsp 20132 articles. 0 followers. allnor (8507) is leader. Post Follow

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:36:00 -0800, aizza ahmed wrote:

> hi,
>    i have 3 sinusoidal signals of frequency 1Khz, 2khz and 3 khz added
> up to form a composite signal. i designed one bandpass filter centered
> using FDATool in matlab. i tried to give pass band range as small as
> 1950 to 2050 (remember i want to allow only 2khz rejecting all others)
> to as large as 1.5 Khz to 2.5Khz. The designed filter is an FIR filter
> with attenuation set at 80. i was able to design many filters..changing
> sampling frequency and passband parameters but none of them gave me my
> input 2khz signal in output (all gave some different type of waveforms
> in output).  i am more interested in extracting out 2khz signal. i am
> not getting the output same as my input sinusoidal 2khz signal. i
> feel..i am missing some basic theory in this regard..plz do help me in
> this regard or guide me.
>
> thanks
> aizza

Attenuation set at 80 what?  What sort of "different type of waveforms"
were you getting?  How are you implementing the filter?  Have you looked
at a frequency-domain plot of the filter response, to see how well it
attenuates at 1kHz and 3kHz?

You are specifying a passband, and what sounds like an ultimate
attenuation (I assume you mean "80dB"), but you're not specifying a shape
factor -- what attenuation defines your passband ripple, and at what
frequencies does your filter attain 80dB of attenuation?

You may have specified the filter incorrectly.
Matlab may have built the filter incorrectly.
You may be implementing the filter incorrectly.

You need to figure out which of the above has happened, then you can move
on to the next step.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
0
On Feb 8, 11:36=A0am, aizza ahmed <aizzaah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> =A0 =A0i have 3 sinusoidal signals of frequency 1Khz, 2khz and 3 khz adde=
> up to form a composite signal. i designed one bandpass filter centered
> using FDATool in matlab. i tried to give pass band range as small as
> 1950 to 2050 (remember i want to allow only 2khz rejecting all others)
> to as large as 1.5 Khz to 2.5Khz. The designed filter is an FIR filter
> with attenuation set at 80. i was able to design many
> filters..changing sampling frequency and passband parameters but none
> of them gave me my input 2khz signal in output (all gave some
> different type of waveforms in output). =A0i am more interested in
> extracting out 2khz signal. i am not getting the output same as my
> input sinusoidal 2khz signal. i feel..i am missing some basic theory
> in this regard..plz do help me in this regard or guide me.
>
> thanks
> aizza

Aizza
FDATool requires more data than you are giving for a bandpass design.
You need to have 5 frequencies: stopband1, passband1, passband2,
stopband2, and the sampling frequency.

Maurice Givens
0
maury
2/8/2010 6:12:23 PM
On Feb 8, 11:12=A0pm, maury <maury...@core.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 11:36=A0am, aizza ahmed <aizzaah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > hi,
> > =A0 =A0i have 3 sinusoidal signals of frequency 1Khz, 2khz and 3 khz ad=
ded
> > up to form a composite signal. i designed one bandpass filter centered
> > using FDATool in matlab. i tried to give pass band range as small as
> > 1950 to 2050 (remember i want to allow only 2khz rejecting all others)
> > to as large as 1.5 Khz to 2.5Khz. The designed filter is an FIR filter
> > with attenuation set at 80. i was able to design many
> > filters..changing sampling frequency and passband parameters but none
> > of them gave me my input 2khz signal in output (all gave some
> > different type of waveforms in output). =A0i am more interested in
> > extracting out 2khz signal. i am not getting the output same as my
> > input sinusoidal 2khz signal. i feel..i am missing some basic theory
> > in this regard..plz do help me in this regard or guide me.
>
> > thanks
> > aizza
>
> Aizza
> FDATool requires more data than you are giving for a bandpass design.
> You need to have 5 frequencies: stopband1, passband1, passband2,
> stopband2, and the sampling frequency.
>
> Maurice Givens

hi maurice and wescott,
         thanks for response. i am giving all details. plz let me know
if you need any.

Each signal i.e. (1khz, 2khz and 3khz sinusoidal signal is sampled at
96khz and added to form a composite signal. and i need to extract 2khz
signal by passing it through bandpass filter designed below). i used

 % All frequency values are in Hz.
 Fs =3D 96000;  % Sampling Frequency
 Fstop1 =3D 1900;        % First Stopband Frequency
 Fpass1 =3D 1950;        % First Passband Frequency
 Fpass2 =3D 2050;        % Second Passband Frequency
 Fstop2 =3D 2100;        % Second Stopband Frequency
 Astop1 =3D 80;          % First Stopband Attenuation (dB)
 Apass  =3D 1;           % Passband Ripple (dB)
 Astop2 =3D 80;          % Second Stopband Attenuation (dB)
 match  =3D 'passband';  % Band to match exactly

i tried in all possible types of FIR filter based designs available in
matlab..but still couldnt get the original signal after filtering. The
signals i get are usually chirp signals and they dont show sinusoidal
shape.

thanks
aizza
0
aizza
2/9/2010 2:30:41 PM
On Feb 9, 8:30=A0am, aizza ahmed <aizzaah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 11:12=A0pm, maury <maury...@core.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 8, 11:36=A0am, aizza ahmed <aizzaah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > hi,
> > > =A0 =A0i have 3 sinusoidal signals of frequency 1Khz, 2khz and 3 khz =
added
> > > up to form a composite signal. i designed one bandpass filter centere=
> > > using FDATool in matlab. i tried to give pass band range as small as
> > > 1950 to 2050 (remember i want to allow only 2khz rejecting all others=
)
> > > to as large as 1.5 Khz to 2.5Khz. The designed filter is an FIR filte=
> > > with attenuation set at 80. i was able to design many
> > > filters..changing sampling frequency and passband parameters but none
> > > of them gave me my input 2khz signal in output (all gave some
> > > different type of waveforms in output). =A0i am more interested in
> > > extracting out 2khz signal. i am not getting the output same as my
> > > input sinusoidal 2khz signal. i feel..i am missing some basic theory
> > > in this regard..plz do help me in this regard or guide me.
>
> > > thanks
> > > aizza
>
> > Aizza
> > FDATool requires more data than you are giving for a bandpass design.
> > You need to have 5 frequencies: stopband1, passband1, passband2,
> > stopband2, and the sampling frequency.
>
> > Maurice Givens
>
> hi maurice and wescott,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0thanks for response. i am giving all details. plz let =
me know
> if you need any.
>
> Each signal i.e. (1khz, 2khz and 3khz sinusoidal signal is sampled at
> 96khz and added to form a composite signal. and i need to extract 2khz
> signal by passing it through bandpass filter designed below). i used
>
> =A0% All frequency values are in Hz.
> =A0Fs =3D 96000; =A0% Sampling Frequency
> =A0Fstop1 =3D 1900; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0% First Stopband Frequency
> =A0Fpass1 =3D 1950; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0% First Passband Frequency
> =A0Fpass2 =3D 2050; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0% Second Passband Frequency
> =A0Fstop2 =3D 2100; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0% Second Stopband Frequency
> =A0Astop1 =3D 80; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0% First Stopband Attenuation (dB)
> =A0Apass =A0=3D 1; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 % Passband Ripple (dB)
> =A0Astop2 =3D 80; =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0% Second Stopband Attenuation (dB)
> =A0match =A0=3D 'passband'; =A0% Band to match exactly
>
> i tried in all possible types of FIR filter based designs available in
> matlab..but still couldnt get the original signal after filtering. The
> signals i get are usually chirp signals and they dont show sinusoidal
> shape.
>
> thanks
> aizza- Hide quoted text -

Seems to work for me. I suggest you double-check your procedures

Maurice Givens
0
maury
2/10/2010 9:30:25 PM
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 06:30:41 -0800, aizza ahmed wrote:

> On Feb 8, 11:12 pm, maury <maury...@core.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 8, 11:36 am, aizza ahmed <aizzaah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > hi,
>> >    i have 3 sinusoidal signals of frequency 1Khz, 2khz and 3 khz
>> >    added
>> > up to form a composite signal. i designed one bandpass filter
>> > centered using FDATool in matlab. i tried to give pass band range as
>> > small as 1950 to 2050 (remember i want to allow only 2khz rejecting
>> > all others) to as large as 1.5 Khz to 2.5Khz. The designed filter is
>> > an FIR filter with attenuation set at 80. i was able to design many
>> > filters..changing sampling frequency and passband parameters but none
>> > of them gave me my input 2khz signal in output (all gave some
>> > different type of waveforms in output).  i am more interested in
>> > extracting out 2khz signal. i am not getting the output same as my
>> > input sinusoidal 2khz signal. i feel..i am missing some basic theory
>> > in this regard..plz do help me in this regard or guide me.
>>
>> > thanks
>> > aizza
>>
>> Aizza
>> FDATool requires more data than you are giving for a bandpass design.
>> You need to have 5 frequencies: stopband1, passband1, passband2,
>> stopband2, and the sampling frequency.
>>
>> Maurice Givens
>
> hi maurice and wescott,
>          thanks for response. i am giving all details. plz let me know
> if you need any.
>
> Each signal i.e. (1khz, 2khz and 3khz sinusoidal signal is sampled at
> 96khz and added to form a composite signal. and i need to extract 2khz
> signal by passing it through bandpass filter designed below). i used
>
>  % All frequency values are in Hz.
>  Fs = 96000;  % Sampling Frequency
>  Fstop1 = 1900;        % First Stopband Frequency
>  Fpass1 = 1950;        % First Passband Frequency
>  Fpass2 = 2050;        % Second Passband Frequency
>  Fstop2 = 2100;        % Second Stopband Frequency
>  Astop1 = 80;          % First Stopband Attenuation (dB)
>  Apass  = 1;           % Passband Ripple (dB)
>  Astop2 = 80;          % Second Stopband
>  Attenuation (dB) match  = 'passband';  % Band to match exactly
>
> i tried in all possible types of FIR filter based designs available in
> matlab..but still couldnt get the original signal after filtering. The
> signals i get are usually chirp signals and they dont show sinusoidal
> shape.

Perhaps your problem is that you are blindly applying library functions
from Matlab without really understanding what you're doing.

So you apply a filter design, and you get back this ENORMOUS vector of
numbers -- right?  What does the FFT of that vector look like?  What you
_should_ get is something whose amplitude, after normalizing by the
vector size and sampling rate, is the desired amplitude response of your
filter.  Are you getting that?  And do you know why you should?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
0

US-TX-Austin: Sr. SoC Design Eng., ASIC design expert, Deep Sub-micron design; P (45327032406)
US-TX-Austin: Sr. SoC Design Eng., ASIC design expert, Deep Sub-micron design; P (45327032406) ============================================================================================== Position: Sr. SoC Design Eng. Reference: SMC01500 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: MS in EE or MS in Computer Engineering. 5 to 10 years experience. Must have proven expertise in ASIC design and a firm grasp of all aspects of Deep Sub-micron design flow, including physical design. Scope: ASIC des...

HP 2710 series banding. Please help.
Group, I bought a HP 2710 series printer a couple of weeks ago. I've noticed that when I print there is a band about 5mm wide, which is about 75mm from the right hand edge of the paper. It forms a vertical band across the print. The rest of the print looks great. It looks like the sort of banding you get when you need to clean a cartridge, but not quite as bad. It's a new printer so the cartridges are not running out and anyway the band is always in the same place, 75mm from the edge. I've done the usual cleaning of cartridges, calibration, test pages but to no...

how to pass result to next command
Dear all: I know "|" can pass the result of previous command to the next one. but if the next command has multiple input, like tar, cp, etc, how can I pass the result to the specific position? my question is like below: find /temp -executable -o -print | cp xxx /root (how can I pass the result of find to xxx in cp) appreciate your help, miloody miloody wrote: > Dear all: > I know "|" can pass the result of previous command to the next one. > but if the next command has multiple input, like tar, cp, etc, how can > I pass the result to the specific position? >...

Re: 3.2 Mln US Homes Have a PC, But no Landline
Jack Decker wrote: > http://www.itfacts.biz/index.php?id=P2561 > According to MetaFacts, the number of PC-using homes without a > standard landline increased 60% since 2002 (3.2 mln in 2003 versus 2.0 > mln in 2002). In terms of all PC-using homes, the numbers are just as > dramatic. The percentage of users without any telephone line grew from > 2.4% in 2002 to 3.5% in 2003, a 46% year over year increase. Within > homes with one person, growth was even faster, rising from 2.3% in > 2002 to 5% in 2003. I have had Vonage for two years now. Today, I was u...

Parse or Pass?
I'm very confused...I want to describe passing variables to functions and I've seen these two words used in very similar contexts. Is there a difference between them? frenchy64 wrote: > I'm very confused...I want to describe passing variables to functions > and I've seen these two words used in very similar contexts. > > Is there a difference between them? > In general, "parsing" is analyzing the grammatical structure of a string. People sometimes talk loosely about "parsing the command line". but I don't think that's normally a...

US-TX-Austin: Sr. Design Eng., Transistor level design, Analog design, CAD, RF m (45323332408)
US-TX-Austin: Sr. Design Eng., Transistor level design, Analog design, CAD, RF m (45323332408) ============================================================================================== Position: Sr. Design Eng. Reference: SMC01495 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: MS in Electrical Engineering 5-10yrs design experience in mixed-signal integrated circuit design at the transistor level. Strong emphasis on analog design required. Wireless design experience at GHz operating frequencies ...

Virtual Signals in Modelsim
One of the best (and most under used) features of Modelsim is the virtual signals feature. Ok, so it needs a GUI to help create the functions/signals but I think it's great and use it all the time to say.... create virtual enumerated busses or quickly gate signals that I would otherwise have to change my HDL, recompile and resimulate. etc. However I've got this strange problem. I fire up Modelsim (6.1c) and load in my .do files (Which include virtual signals and functions) run my simulation and quit and for some strange reason Modelsim saves a file called virtuals.do This file has a...

problem passing list iterator
I want to pass a list "node" to a function, read only access of the list is fine, this is the relevant code I have so far typedef std::vector<double> myvec; typedef std::list<myvec> mylist; // a list of vectors typedef mylist::const_iterator myiter; void a(myiter &x) { int i; .... // do something with x[i] }; The compiler does not like x[i] "no match for operator [] .." why is that? How can I access the node like as if it were a myvec (by reference is nice if that is OK). Thanks. vfunc@talktalk.net <vfunc@talktalk.net> wrote: > I want ...

solution to HTDP exercise-10.1.4
Hi everybody, I am providing here help on solving exercises of HTDP (have a look @ the PREFACE of the book @ htdp.org and you will never leave it). My purpose is NOT PROVIDING solutions to exercises in the book (they are already provided @ htdp.org) but to SHOW that our way of dwelling our BRAINS into solving problems is LESS PRODUCTIVE than if we follow the DESIGN-PROCESS (the core of HTDP) and I show this not only by showing you the SOURCE-CODE of the solution i have developed BUT ALSO by providing PRECISE EXPLANATION on WHAT different THINGS represent and how they solved the problm ...

US-TX-Austin: Sr. Mixed Signal Product/Test Eng. 5-7yrs exp., ATE platforms; DH (45341057747)
US-TX-Austin: Sr. Mixed Signal Product/Test Eng. 5-7yrs exp., ATE platforms; DH (45341057747) ============================================================================================= Position: Sr. Mixed Signal Product/Test Eng. Reference: SMC01755 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: BS in Electrical or Computer Engineering with a minimum 5 to 7 years of professional experience. 5+yrs exp in mixed-signal Product or Test Engineering. Exp with mixed-signal ATE platforms (Teradyne, Agilent, LTX, or...

How to plot a Signal Processing Graph using Matlab Simulink?
I manage to link my excel file of data to matlab to plot the basic graph(A not smooth line graph). However i am actually required to do in matlab simulink. How should i go about doing to plot a nice smooth graph using matlab simulink? (Best close to linear graph) What algorithm must be included from the signal processing toolbox? Is kalman filter needed? I seriously need help a lot. Thanks :) ...

[2.6.1] How to display link directly on wxWizardPage
Hello Is there a control that will let me display HTML link directly (not through HTML page inside wxHTMLWindow, etc.) on wizard page? si ...

[ANN] Grepper 0.9.3: grepping library and commandline tool
Hi -- I've just released version 0.9.3 of the Grepper library, which includes a grep.rb commandline tool for grepping. It all tries to strictly emulate the results of a subset of GNU grep(1). Supported options: -A, -B, -C, -c, -h, -H, -l, -L, -n, -o, -v The project is at: http://rubyforge.org/projects/grepper/ David -- David A. Black / Ruby Power and Light, LLC Ruby/Rails consulting & training: http://www.rubypal.com Coming in 2009: The Well-Grounded Rubyist (http://manning.com/black2) http://www.wishsight.com => Independent, social wishlist management! [Note: parts of ...

How pass array to function?
Hello. I'm trying to pass an array to a function, and I'm getting error an message "Compile error: Type mismatch: array or user-defined type expected" when calling the unit testing subroutine m_array_contains__test() below. I'm not too familiar with VB, and if anyone could help explain what I'm doing wrong, I would really appreciate it. Sub m_array_contains__test() Dim array_of_values As Variant array_of_values = Array("a", "b") Dim bool As Boolean bool = m_array_contains(array_of_values, "a") ' <----- error...

Timer
hello, i have a couple of questions about the timer object, i would be grateful if someone could help me out. apologies in advance for this being a very dummy question! in short i am calling a timer object to sample and process some data from a DAQ device. the timer objet should receive some data from the caller, sample some data from the DAQ and then return (or make available) some new data to the caller. i have succeded in passing data to the timer and acquiring DAQ data during the execution of the timer, but i am unable to return any data to the caller function... this is an simple example...

US-TX-Austin: Credit Security Auditor, Have certified a CO to the VISA CISP; 1-2 (45346532420)
US-TX-Austin: Credit Security Auditor, Have certified a CO to the VISA CISP; 1-2 (45346532420) ============================================================================================== Position: Credit Security Auditor Reference: RWP00015 Location: Austin TX Duration: 1-2 wk Skills: Qualified candidates will have successfully certified at least one company to the VISA CISP. Understanding of Credit Card Association requirements, such as MasterCard SDP, Visa CISP, Discover DISC, and American Express D...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?International_Remix_&_Music_Vid=E9o_Clip?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?_contest_launched_::_TILT_FESTIVAL_2004?=
International Remix & Music Vid�o Clip contest launched From the 15th of December 2003, anyone from anywhere in the world will be able to participate in this great competition, whether they enter as a Private person, freelance artist, company, organisation Etc. Graphics and audio parts will be available to download from www.tilt-festival.org. The competitors will then have six weeks to produce a music video or a remix for the recording artists P18 (salsa/electronic from France/Cuba) and H�kan Lidbo (lounge/house from Sweden). A jury of established artists and professionals fr...

inline compressed files using filters?
I've just recently bumped into the concept of filters in PostScript level 2 and they seem pretty interesting. Reading up on them in the Language Reference I have (ed 2) it seems to imply that they can be used to have the interpreter run compressed source code directly from the current file. I've tried this with GhostScript and it seems to work fine, but as I'm discovering more often, GhostScript is a little more lenient about what it will let you do than a real embedded interpreter ... I'm able to create a small bit of code which bundles itself up as an ASCII85-encoded LZW s...

US-TX-Austin: Sr. Design Eng., Transistor level design, Analog design, CAD, RF m (45322157610)
US-TX-Austin: Sr. Design Eng., Transistor level design, Analog design, CAD, RF m (45322157610) ============================================================================================== Position: Sr. Design Eng. Reference: SMC01495 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: MS in Electrical Engineering 5-10yrs design experience in mixed-signal integrated circuit design at the transistor level. Strong emphasis on analog design required. Wireless design experience at GHz operating frequencies ...

Version 1.9 (KEGS 0.65) available !
Hi folks, Here comes the latest version of KEGS-OSX. It is in fact a minor version which is just optimised for Mac OSX 10.3 and correct few little details some of you asked. Version 1.9 (KEGS 0.65) The Panther version - The sources are now compiled with GCC 3.3 from Mac OS 10.3 (a.k.a. Panther...) - For some very strange reasons, it works better with Mac OSX 10.3.3 - Function keys only work with the Alt key (this is Expos� fault !) - Some changes on the sound drivers for more accurate rendering (Thanks to Olivier) - Some changes on the device drivers for a smoother rendering, making H...

Horizontal Banding Through Print
Hi, I have a relatively new HP Deskjet 1200c Recently, I have started to get horozontal banding through my photoprints - not missed lines but a faint lightening and darkening in bands. How can I fix this? Advice appreciated Thanks J Isn't the 1200 series of HP Deskjet printers a business document printer? J wrote: >Hi, > >I have a relatively new HP Deskjet 1200c > >Recently, I have started to get horozontal banding through my photoprints - >not missed lines but a faint lightening and darkening in bands. > >How can I fix this? Ad...

Filter question
Hi there, I've been thinking about filters and the way they work. I realize that there are two main categories - FIR and IIR. If we just consider FIR just now. The way in which FIR computes its frequency response with reference to the coefficients :- Each coefficient multiplies a sample of the input signal by a certain amount, and each coefficient 'has a turn' at multiplying each input sample, as the input sample moves through the filter. The more coefficients we have the better the response. Is this because each coefficient is essentially responsible for 'knocking out' o...

specifying a helix in a design table
Is there some tutorial that shows how to specify a helix in a design table? Bob On May 30, 10:24=A0pm, <castlebravo...@att.net> wrote: > Is there some tutorial that shows how to specify a helix in a design table= ? > > Bob If you select the helix off to the side when you are in the design talbe you can add it's properties. I think this is one of those things that needs a video to explain it... I will try to make on in the next few days. Al Whatmough http://www.inspirtech.com The same way you specify any other feature in a design table. Double- click the helix in t...

Parallel computing - Parfor
Hi all, question about when using parfor to offload to local workers. Is there a way to pass variables so they are not copied to each separate worker, but instead are just a reference? My problem is I have a very large data set (around 1GB) so if I try to do this MyDataSet = 1gb matrix of data result = []; parfor i = 1:10 result(i) = function_do_computations(MyDataSet, i); end I get errors about out of memory from serialization because it apparently is trying to _copy_ MyDataSet to each worker. If I were to use say a 200-300mb dataset instead of 1GB it works and I see th...

ANN: SmartEiffel 1.2 (transitional) project
Hi, Eiffel users. For some time I've been planning about working on an additional 1.x release of SmartEiffel. Some people have already proposed it (Berend de Boer, http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=es&lr=&selm=871x8okaas.fsf% 40dellius.nederware.nl , for example). My idea is to work on a release that will be 100% compatible with SE1.1, introducing some of the changes of SE 2.x (and/or obsoleting things that have changed). In that way, it would be useful as a transitional compiler, to move slowly your projects from 1.x to 2.x without breaking the codebase at once, losing library ...