DSP choice

I am monitoring the rotational speed of a motor using a PC based ADC and
FFT program (120kHz sample rate, 16384 points, 12bit accuracy). The reason
for using an FFT is the noise present in the signal confusing analog
methods attempted. It works pretty well, but I need to condense it into a
stand-alone system so that I can roll it out to other plants. Basically the
board would just take the rotation pulses as an input and output a pulse
stream equivalent to the fundamental frequency

I am new to using discrete DSP devices and was wondering what the best
choice of DSP would be for the job ? I would like to just use internal
memory ideally and a built-in ADC would be even better. Ideally I would
like off-the-shelf boards with the DSP on, as the volumes are pretty low. I
appreciate that I will need to do a simple PCB for power supply and analog
filtering at the input.

Any particular gotchas I need to be aware of ? We have code for the PC
software, but good library support would be a big bonus to minimise the
code development.

0
thepowers (1)
9/2/2008 5:53:02 PM
comp.dsp 20333 articles. 1 followers. allnor (8509) is leader. Post Follow

What exactly are you monitoring ? a tach signal or the voltage output from a
variable frequence drive ??

"Mikep" <thepowers@ic24.net> wrote in message
|I am monitoring the rotational speed of a motor using a PC based ADC and
| FFT program (120kHz sample rate, 16384 points, 12bit accuracy). The reason
| for using an FFT is the noise present in the signal confusing analog
| methods attempted. It works pretty well, but I need to condense it into a
| stand-alone system so that I can roll it out to other plants. Basically
the
| board would just take the rotation pulses as an input and output a pulse
| stream equivalent to the fundamental frequency
|
| I am new to using discrete DSP devices and was wondering what the best
| choice of DSP would be for the job ? I would like to just use internal
| memory ideally and a built-in ADC would be even better. Ideally I would
| like off-the-shelf boards with the DSP on, as the volumes are pretty low.
| appreciate that I will need to do a simple PCB for power supply and analog
| filtering at the input.
|
| Any particular gotchas I need to be aware of ? We have code for the PC
| software, but good library support would be a big bonus to minimise the
| code development.

All that you may need is LM339 with some basic circuitry.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

Mikep wrote:

> I am monitoring the rotational speed of a motor using a PC based ADC and
> FFT program (120kHz sample rate, 16384 points, 12bit accuracy). The reason
> for using an FFT is the noise present in the signal confusing analog
> methods attempted. It works pretty well, but I need to condense it into a
> stand-alone system so that I can roll it out to other plants. Basically the
> board would just take the rotation pulses as an input and output a pulse
> stream equivalent to the fundamental frequency
>
> I am new to using discrete DSP devices and was wondering what the best
> choice of DSP would be for the job ? I would like to just use internal
> memory ideally and a built-in ADC would be even better. Ideally I would
> like off-the-shelf boards with the DSP on, as the volumes are pretty low. I
> appreciate that I will need to do a simple PCB for power supply and analog
> filtering at the input.
>
> Any particular gotchas I need to be aware of ? We have code for the PC
> software, but good library support would be a big bonus to minimise the
> code development.

Choice of DSP
Hi All, I'm looking for a DSP which would be sitting in some of my autonomous robots. its primary function would be to process voice data given as commands to the robot and do some image processing on data coming from a low resolution camera. Could any of you please suggest what family of DSP i can look into. Cost, Programmer, IDE and ease of board development for the DSP or of prime importance. Thanks, kSqUaRe Take a look at ADI Blackfin family (http://www.analog.com/en/embedded-processing-dsp/blackfin/content/index.html). Emulator and IDE are expensive but if you don't need strict real time processing you can use uClinux OS and the associated toolchain which is available for free. There are a number of evaluation boards with BF53x processors targeted at uClinux applications development: http://www.analog.com/en/embedded-processing-dsp/blackfin/bf537-stamp/processors/product.html http://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/stamp/frs/ The are also a number of TI processors that can suit your task but i don't have an information about TI development tools pricing. -- Alexander Grow up. ksquare wrote: > Hi All, I'm looking for a DSP which would be sitting in some of my > autonomous robots. its primary function would be to process voice data > given as commands to the robot and do some image processing on data coming > from a low resolution camera. Could any of you please suggest what family > of DSP i can look into. Cost, Programmer, IDE an...

Dsp
To do well dsp what areas of math I must know well, and also what dsp starter kit for learning you would recommend me? Dave Dave wrote: > To do well dsp what areas of math I must know well, and also what dsp > starter kit for learning you would recommend me? > > Dave > Try this page: www.dspguru.com And check out the beginner books section. Rick Lyons' book is an excellent place to start. R I recommend following Math area: Probability , statistics, random theory DSP kit: ADSP 2181, SHARC, TMS 320C54xx ArunKumar "Dave" <davecle@SoftHome.net> wr...

DSP using a non DSP processor
My requirement is to use a moderate controller (Non DSP) and take analog sinusoidal signals (half second cycle 50 hz) , take their samples, do a Fourier transform to remove harmonics and then multiply them to find instantaneous power. Then do a Low Power Filtering operation on this power signal. Is it possible? has anyone implemented anything similar or am I being too ambitious? please post your comments about its feasibility. Thanks, Rohan Rohan wrote: > My requirement is to use a moderate controller (Non DSP) and take > analog sinusoidal signals (half second cycle 50 hz) , take their > samples, do a Fourier transform to remove harmonics and then multiply > them to find instantaneous power. Then do a Low Power Filtering > operation on this power signal. > Is it possible? has anyone implemented anything similar or am I being > too ambitious? > please post your comments about its feasibility. > > Thanks, > Rohan > The big question is "in real time?". Do you want to do this in C ? So, Yea but, is your answer. Rohan wrote: > My requirement is to use a moderate controller (Non DSP) and take > analog sinusoidal signals (half second cycle 50 hz) , take their > samples, do a Fourier transform to remove harmonics and then multiply > them to find instantaneous power. Then do a Low Power Filtering > operation on this power signal. > Is it possible? has anyone implemented anything similar or am I being > too a...

/dev/dsp... how to target different dsp ?
i'm using xmms... and after doing a cvsup/rebuild from (8.0-release) to: FreeBSD elhdt.hoe 8.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE #3: Sat Jun 12 15:39:04 PDT 2010 root@elhdt:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386 xmms nolonger works... and i think that problem is that 8.1-pre- release can now see additional sound devices that weren't seen before... my problem, is how do i get xmms working again (i think, rebind the /dev/dsp device?) how to bind /dev/dsp to a different beast.... elhdt# ls -l /dev/dsp crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 117 Jun 18 13:07 /dev/dsp elhdt# ls -l /dev/dsp* crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 111 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp0.0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 117 Jun 18 13:07 /dev/dsp0.1 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 90 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp1.0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 89 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp2.0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 88 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp3.0 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 0, 87 Jun 17 15:41 /dev/dsp4.0 hmm... clearly, devfs is synthesizing the response to the stat for /dev/dsp by the first ls -l, and the second shows that /dev/dsp is not really there, (the shell expansion of '*' doesn't see it) - so /dev/dsp is probably some sort of artificial virtual object synthesized by devfs. my problem is this. i want to bind to the dsp3.0 (pcm3) equivalent device, and not the pcm equivalent device (i think). how can i do this ? any help or suggestions would be appreciated! elh...

Which DSP vendor has the best DSP architecture and why?
There are 4 major supplier of general purpose DSPs; Agere, TI, Analog Devices and Motorola. Which DSP vendor has the best DSP architecture(s), DSPs, tools, support and why? Thanks.........dp On 19 Dec 2003 19:25:35 -0800, petkevich@yahoo.com (dp) wrote: >There are 4 major supplier of general purpose DSPs; Agere, TI, Analog >Devices and Motorola. Which DSP vendor has the best DSP >architecture(s), DSPs, tools, support and why? > >Thanks.........dp Your question tickled me. It's like asking, "Who makes the best gasoline-powered vehicle, who has the best maintenan...

DSP Group TeakLite DSP Board
I've pulled a DSP Group Teak Lite DSP development board out of the bin at work. It's about 3-4 years old. Their web site asks you to login before you can look at docs an support S/W etc. Does anyone have an old support login for this site? Cheers, Alfie. ...

about DSP
Can anyone tell me about the application of DSP in telecommunication? Do you have any technology involved? Thanks <laura_pretty05@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message news:1142355397.631224.60760@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Can anyone tell me about the application of DSP in telecommunication? Yes - it's used all over the place in telecom. Any time you have discrete signals (digitized signals) and they undergo any sort of processing - that's DSP...and there's plenty of that in telecommunication. > Do you have any technology involved? Thanks What do you mean? Clearly...

which DSP?
Hello, I have a Yakumo Hypersound 128 MP3-Player and would like to modify the firmware. Can anybody tell we, which DSP is used? Thank you in advance, Daniel ...

DSP@
DSP@ fetches the address of the top of stack, and places it on the stack. In doing so, of course, a new stack entry has to be created. So, which address goes on the stack? The previous one (before the new stack entry) or the new one? Currently, my code uses the new address: INCT R4 - create new stack entry MOV R4,*R4 - place address of stack pointer in top stack entry Mark. Op Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:58:16 -0700 (PDT) schreef MarkWills: > DSP@ fetches the address of the top of stack, and places it on the > stack. > > In doing so, of course, a new stack entry has to be created. So, which > address goes on the stack? The previous one (before the new stack > entry) or the new one? > > Currently, my code uses the new address: > > INCT R4 - create new stack entry > MOV R4,*R4 - place address of stack pointer in top stack entry > > Mark. If you have a machine with no native PUSH and POP, you can choose either of them. Strange to see a stack growing upwards, do you use a TI 99 or something? FIGFORTH for the 1802 had the data stack growing upwards and the return stack downwards. If the sequence 'DSP@ DSP!' does not change DEPTH, you're ok. On an Intel/AMD/Cyrix etc. PC you can do 'PUSH SP' followed by 'POP SP' and the stack pointer will not change, providing you do this on a 286 (just checked;-) or higher. -- Coos CHForth, 16 bit DOS applications http://home.hccnet.nl/j.j.haak/forth.html MarkWills <mar...

Fixed Point DSP Vs Floating Point DSP
Hi, I searched the internet to find out the difference between a fixed point & a floating point DSP. To my surprise, I did not find a well defined difference. Plz, can anyone differentiate between the two so that a layman can also understand ? Thanx in advance... Sandeep Chikkerur wrote: > > Hi, > > I searched the internet to find out the difference between a fixed > point & a floating point DSP. > To my surprise, I did not find a well defined difference. > > Plz, can anyone differentiate between the two so that a layman can > also understand ? > > Thanx in advance... A fixed-point DSP does only fixed-point arithmetic, and usually has hardware to facilitate multiplication. A floating-point DSP has extra hardware for floating-point addition and multiplication (addition is a bit more involved than multiplication) and often omits the hardware to facilitate fixed-poing multiplication. Expect some difference in the size of a few registers. A matter of curiosity (mine): What difference had you imagined? Jerry -- Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get. ����������������������������������������������������������������������� In article <d5d88eb5.0306260219.36f87462@posting.google.com>, sandeep_mc81@yahoo.com says... > Hi, > > I searched the internet to find out the difference between a fixed > point & a floating point DSP. > To my surprise, I did not find a wel...

dsp.SignalSource not found (dsp System Toolbox is available)
Hi, I'm trying to run the code available here: http://www.mathworks.com/help/dsp/ref/dsp.cicdecimatorclass.html I keep on getting the error : Undefined variable "dsp" or class "dsp.SignalSource". I have dsp System Toolbox Version 8.2 , and I can use other objects inside the DSP package but not SignalSource. Any idea why? Thanks in advance "H Hachem" <hhachem00@gmail.com> wrote in message <kg0mvb$p2b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hi, > > I'm trying to run the code available here: http://www.mathworks.com/help/dsp/ref/dsp.cicdecimatorclass.html > I keep on getting the error : > Undefined variable "dsp" or class "dsp.SignalSource". > I have dsp System Toolbox Version 8.2 , and I can use other objects inside the DSP package but not SignalSource. Any idea why? > > Thanks in advance I just checked the supported versions. Signalsource is only supported in R2012b, I have R2012a :/ ...

Looking for DSP/BIOS driver for the SCIs in TI F2812 DSP
Can anybody direct me to a ready to use serial driver for F2812s integrated with the DSP/BIOS? Last time I checked TI's web site they provided only one application note for a different, older processor. Thanks, Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ] Roberto Waltman wrote: > Can anybody direct me to a ready to use serial driver for F2812s > integrated with the DSP/BIOS? > > Last time I checked TI's web site they provided only one application > note for a different, older processor. Based on my experience with the F2812 and the...

Got DSP? Senior DSP Communications Engineer-Relo available
Senior Digital Communications Engineer My client, located here in the Silicon Valley, is looking for a talented individual to join the Signal Processing Systems Engineering Team to work concurrently on various state-of-the-art communications systems, both internally and externally. Job Responsibilities This person will possess a range of skills that encompass both broad and deep expertise in the digital communications application space at the systems level in addition to having the skills required to implement the various functions in these systems. The successful candidate will ...

what architectural features in DSP prevent DSP from executing control code efficiently?
I always read articles which says that DSP can't execute control code efficiently like RISC. I am confused what architectural features in DSP prevent DSP from executing control code efficiently. Things that come to my mind is shorter pipeline, branch prediction. can anyone tell me what else? thanks. Best Regards Jogging On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:56:13 -0800, joggingsong wrote: > I always read articles which says that DSP can't execute control code > efficiently like RISC. > I am confused what architectural features in DSP prevent DSP from > executing control code efficiently. > Things that come to my mind is shorter pipeline, branch prediction. > can anyone tell me what else? > thanks. Nothing, really. Traditional DSPs of the 56k vintage were just fine at bit-bashing[1]. Word addressability (and 24-bit words) get slightly in the way of neat handling of common byte-oriented peripherals, but it's no biggie. I've done both, and the code's just as neat as you'd find in most "microcontrollers". You just wouldn't spec one if that was all you had to do: no point paying for a flipping great multiply-accumulate unit and three or four parallel busses if you're not going to use them. [1] More modern processors are getting somewhat longer in the pipeline, and don't turn quite as well, but they make up for that with higher straight-line speed. The code is usually just as efficient, time-wise, but larger. On the oth...

Looking for a GOOD explanation of the proof and application of DST, and other DSP techniques.. DSP encyclopedia?
I was reading some tutorials @ dspdimension.com, and they were talkin about techniques that I'd never heard of before, such as the Discrete Sin Transform. The explanation was understandable if the reader does a lot o thinking, but more diagrams and possibly even animations would convey th concepts more clearly and require much less time from the reader. (Although to be fair, it seems like almost no authors of technical materia go to these lengths.. kind of a shame I think.. I think it was Feynman wh said something like "For anything we really understand, we should be abl to craft an explanation that even a child can understand.") Explaining the proof would probably clear up any lingerin doubts/undiscussed logical holes in the readers mind, provided that th proof is presented in a clear manner accompanied by plenty of diagram and/or animations.. but this is outside the scope of the tutorial. This got me thinking: I have no formal education in DSP, and recently I'v been stumbling across all sorts of techniques that I previously didn't kno existed, many of which have potential to be very useful for what I' interested in. Since I don't have the luxury (or torture, depending on ho you look at it =P ) of a formalized education in DSP, can anyone recommen book(s)/website(s) that present a complete list and explanation of the ful library of DSP techniques, or do a very good job of explaining at least on DSP technique? I read Lyons' "Underst...

WTS: APX-SL-DSP-3 288 port Voice/Data DSP cards
Want to sell, APX-SL-DSP-3 288 port Voice/Data DSP cards for the Lucen APX 8000 (APX8000). $3450, including 30-day warranty. Contact: Rob rjb@isptrader.com (216) 702-7840 http://isptrader.com (company info -- isptrader ...

Choices, choices, choices ...
Lectoribus Salutem, I was directed to this forum from comp.arch by one of your regulars, Joe Seigh, because of the following question: Given that you want to have a RA*S* (i.e., Reliable, Available and *Scalable* OS), how would you perform the following task on a ~100 CPU SMP machine: "Measure the number of instances of <some> kernel event" 1. You create a system wide single counter protected by a single system wide lock to keep track of the occurences of said event. 2. You create a processor-local counter of said event, and, in case you want to summarize system wide, sum the counters in the user space application and present them to the user. Please, discuss. Note that I'm not a regular of your newsgroup, so it's advisable to cc me if you have an answer different from the obvious .... -- Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl - phone: +31 346 214290 Saturnushof 14, 3738 XG Maartensdijk, The Netherlands Maintainer, GNU Fortran 77: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/g77_news.html A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/ > 2. You create a processor-local counter of said event, and, in case > you want to summarize system wide, sum the counters in the user > space application and present them to the user. This would be one way to go. The contention on a single system wide lock would be very bad. If the counter is small enough to be modified by atomic ops.....

WTS APX-SL-DSP-3 288 port Voice/Data DSP cards #4
Want to sell, APX-SL-DSP-3 288 port Voice/Data DSP cards for the Lucen APX 8000 (APX8000). $3450, including 30-day warranty. Contact: Rob rjb@isptrader.com (216) 702-7840 http://isptrader.com (company info -- isptrader ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45328657604)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45328657604) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45326814407)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45326814407) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45337532408)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45337532408) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45328014410)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45328014410) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design Memory system, cache, DMA and MMU design Instruction set and/or cycle-accurate simulator development Practical experience in the following areas is highly desirable: Compiler development Circuit design, especially register files, arithmetic units and memories Chip-level architecture modeling BSEE required; MSEE preferred Scope: Develop DSP algorithms, instructions and models. Help develop instruction set simulators and cycle-accurate simulators for new DSP core. Write specifications for new DSP architecture. Work with microarchitects, designers and software developers to optimize DSP architecture. Work with management, customers, system designers and implementation ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45337232403)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45337232403) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design Memory system, cache, DMA and MMU design Instruction set and/or cycle-accurate simulator development Practical experience in the following areas is highly desirable: Compiler development Circuit design, especially register files, arithmetic units and memories Chip-level architecture modeling BSEE required; MSEE preferred Scope: Develop DSP algorithms, instructions and models. Help develop instruction set simulators and cycle-accurate simulators for new DSP core. Write specifications for new DSP architecture. Work with microarchitects, designers and software developers to optimize DSP architecture. Work with management, customers, system designers and implementation ...

US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45337214407)
US-TX-Austin: DSP Architect Eng.,DSP algorithms, Write specifications, chip leve (45337214407) ============================================================================================== Position: DSP Architect Eng. Reference: SMC01734 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: Should have practical familiarity with the following disciplines: DSP algorithms and DSP instruction set development Performance modeling Pipelined microarchitectures Datapath, ALU and multiplier design ...

Web resources about - DSP choice - comp.dsp

Choice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... style . The references used may be made clearer with a different or consistent style of citation , footnoting , or external linking . Choice ...

CHOICE creating first mass incident report on Thermomix burns cases
Doctor and mum Yvonne Skarbek had her faulty Thermomix seal replaced following women being burnt interstate. But it doesn't quite fit, and she ...

CHOICE calls for cot mattress 'firmness test' to be made mandatory
Erin Phillips assumed her baby products would have been tested for safety. But one crucial piece of baby furniture does not have mandatory testing ...

TripAdvisor Traveller’s Choice: Sydney is Australia’s No.1 travel destination - DailyTelegraph Search ...
... website. SYDNEY is the nation’s No.1 travel destination, according to a leading holiday review website. The 2016 TripAdvisor Traveller’s Choice ...

CHOICE calls for cot mattress 'firmness test' to be made mandatory
Erin Phillips assumed her baby products would have been tested for safety. But one crucial piece of baby furniture does not have mandatory testing ...

CHOICE creating first mass incident report on Thermomix burns cases
Doctor and mum Yvonne Skarbek had her faulty Thermomix seal replaced following women being burnt interstate. But it doesn't quite fit, and she ...

Szechuan remains one of Bend’s best Asian choices
The Dan Long family is well known throughout Central Oregon as past and present owners of a variety of restaurants — currently including Chi, ...

Margot Robbie will play Tonya Harding in ‘I, Tonya’ bio-pic: amazing choice?
For you youngsters out there, this won’t be a very big deal. But if you were around in the early 1990s, this is a BFD. Hollywood has finally ...

The Latest: Alderman praises Chicago mayor's top cop choice
CHICAGO (AP) � The Latest on the city of Chicago's search for a new police superintendent (all times local):2:35 p.m.A former chairman of the ...