DSP interview questions : Please Contribute questions and answers here

Hi,

     I have been called for an interview for phd in signal processing
from an institute which does research in physics and astronomy. I dont
know what to expect. ( I guess they will thorougly grill me).

I have done masters majoring in DSP and some years of industry
experience. I had done my masters thesis in linear predictive coding
of speech and wavelets.
The work in the industry was mainly implementation side , video and
image compression (H.264,JPEG2000) algorithms on DSPs.

Its been quite a while from the last time i had read a text book.

I request you to contribute some questions in this thread which could
serve as a reference for people in this kind of a situation in
general.

Also request you to contribute some questions on what to expect in a
phd interview other than technical stuff.
0
getrajeshin (120)
5/14/2009 1:54:16 AM
comp.dsp 20333 articles. 1 followers. allnor (8509) is leader. Post Follow

On May 13, 9:54=A0pm, rajesh <getrajes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0I have been called for an interview for phd in signal processi=
ng
> from an institute which does research in physics and astronomy. I dont
> know what to expect. ( I guess they will thorougly grill me).
>
> I have done masters majoring in DSP and some years of industry
> experience. I had done my masters thesis in linear predictive coding
> of speech and wavelets.
> The work in the industry was mainly implementation side , video and
> image compression (H.264,JPEG2000) algorithms on DSPs.
>
> Its been quite a while from the last time i had read a text book.
>
> I request you to contribute some questions in this thread which could
> serve as a reference for people in this kind of a situation in
> general.
>
> Also request you to contribute some questions on what to expect in a
> phd interview other than technical stuff.

I highly suggest reading the book "A PhD is not Enough." A lot of it
applies to your situation as well.

Expect questions like "What do you hope to accomplish here (besides a
PhD)?", "What do you plan to do long term?"

Questions like these don't really have right or wrong answers, but
mostly reveal whether or not you have given your future much thought.

Clay

0
clay (793)

Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions abou
Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyo...

Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions abou
Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyone please answer my questions about EDTN? Would anyo...

DSP interview question
I had a general question about the transition from grad school to industry Most schools seem to concentrate on DSP theory and delve into mathematica details - and students too become quite adept in dealing with such aspect of DSP. Does the industry, say for a DSP s/w engineering position even care abou these - in short does mathematical proficiency in DSP take you an distance in the interview process? >I had a general question about the transition from grad school t industry. > Most schools seem to concentrate on DSP theory and delve int mathematical >details - and students too b...

Lot of Questions- Please give appropriate answer. I don't know answer of any question,but I want to have them.
When designing a database table, how do you avoid missing column values for non-primary key columns? * Use UNIQUE constraints * Use PRIMARY KEY constraints * Use DEFAULT and NOT NULL constraints * Use FOREIGN KEY constraints * Use SET constraints Which of the following is the syntax for creating an Index? * CREATE [UNIQUE] INDEX index_name OF tbl_name (index_columns) * CREATE [UNIQUE] INDEX OF tbl_name (index_columns) * CREATE [UNIQUE] INDEX ON tbl_name (index_columns) * CREATE [UNIQUE] INDEX index_name ON tbl_name (index_columns) Which of the following is not a valid character datatype in SQL Server? * BLOB * VARTEXT Which of the following constraints can be used to enforce the uniqueness of rows in a table? * DEFAULT and NOT NULL constraints * FOREIGN KEY constraints * PRIMARY KEY and UNIQUE constraints * IDENTITY columns * CHECK constraints Which of the following are not date parts? * quarter * dayofweek * dayofyear * weekday Looks like you are preparing for some type of MCP exam. The questions are all very basic can be answered with a minimum knowledge about relational database, or by looking them up in Books Online. It would be pointless to give you the answer of these questions. The purpose of these exams is that you by answering sufficiently many questions correctly shows that you understand the product. Unfortunately, these exams have a fairly small set of questions, a...

Simple netmask question, could some one please answer this question for me.
Hello, I will be setting up a cisco site to site vpn for the first time. I will attempt at creating two sites connecting to the main office. In order for the site to site vpn to work among site, I will need to have a different subnet per tunner. My idea is the following. 1st site. Address: 172.16.0.1 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Wildcard: 0.0.0.255 = 254 hosts site 2 Address: 172.16.0.2 Netmask: 255.255.255.128 Wildcard: 0.0.0.127 = 126 hosts Address: 172.16.0.3 Netmask: 255.255....

DSP question
Hi I am searching a DSP to test a DMT algorithm implementation The goal is to transmit a signal between two boards based on DSP + PPC 8260 Thanks Cheers ...

some DSP question
When signals come to the receiver, first we need a band pass filter, what is the main function of it? If I don't use this filter, what will happen? How to design the filter coefficients in MATLAB? Any clue? Where is the clue from? I think there must be some relations with previous parameters, Can anyone show me an example with your explanation better with simple program? Same question to low pass filter in receiver as well. Another question always puzzle me in my study is, when I do MATLAB simulation, we define fs(sample frequency, which is >=2 fn( Nyquist frequency), I use fs to build my cosine wave then square wave, then BPSK modulation, I think fs should be a sample frequency in receiver to reconstruct the signal, but I have used it from the start, where is the Nyquist theory in my program, did I lost myself? iamzhiyan@gmail.com wrote: > When signals come to the receiver, first we need a band pass filter, > what is the main function of it? If I don't use this filter, what > will happen? How to design the filter coefficients in MATLAB? Any clue? > Where is the clue from? I think there must be some relations with > previous parameters, > > Can anyone show me an example with your explanation better with simple > program? > Same question to low pass filter in receiver as well. I assume that your receiver is for radio waves. Your questions are not about DSP as such, but about the design of a radio receiver. DSP is one method of impl...

Questions over questions
Hello people, I have a problem with my ISP! He kills my php script, if they were executed over 30 seconds. Can I use some trick to fake a little bit? That I can execute the script longer!? Greeting! Sven Dzepina wrote: > Hello people, > > I have a problem with my ISP! He kills my php script, if they were executed > over 30 seconds. > Can I use some trick to fake a little bit? That I can execute the script > longer!? > > Greeting! > > If your ISP doesn't run your script in safe mode, which it most likely does, then you can set_time_limit(0); for unlimited execution time. Otherwise there is probably no way to let it run longer. "John Downey" <blah@doesntexist.com> wrote in message news:8pdib.121103$xx4.20419112@twister.neo.rr.com... > Sven Dzepina wrote: > > > Hello people, > > > > I have a problem with my ISP! He kills my php script, if they were executed > > over 30 seconds. > > Can I use some trick to fake a little bit? That I can execute the script > > longer!? > > > > Greeting! > > > > > If your ISP doesn't run your script in safe mode, which it most likely > does, then you can set_time_limit(0); for unlimited execution time. > Otherwise there is probably no way to let it run longer. > I heard a rumour that the sleep() function resets the script execution time each time it's called. So if you use it in conjunction with a lo...

A DSP question...
Are the largest fonts available referred to as ele-fonts? "Edwin" <thorne25@juno.com> wrote in post 1103565072.692494.4060@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com on 12/20/04 10:51 AM: > Are the largest fonts available referred to as ele-fonts? > Cute... I may use that in a class someday. Thanks. :) -- If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law. Roy Santoro, Psycho Proverb Zone (http://snipurl.com/BurdenOfProof) Snit wrote: > "Edwin" <thorne25@juno.com> wrote in post > 1103565072.692494.4060@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com on 12/20/04 10:51 AM: > > > Are the largest fonts available referred to as ele-fonts? > > > Cute... I may use that in a class someday. Thanks. :) You're welcome. :-) ...

Questions, Questions...
Hi! I took the routine from Gastronor.mdb: In the frmOrderDetails -> ITemID_AfterUpdate: Dim strFilter as String strFilter = "ItemID = " & Me!ItemID but it didn't work on win 2000 with access 2000. However, after playing around for a while, I found: Me!UnitPrice = ItemID.Column(2) to work just fine, even after updating prices in the tblItems. Anybody knows why? The routine in win 98/win nt in the footer of frmOrderDetails: =Sum((Price*Amount*(1-[Discount])/100)*100)) didn't either work. After testing and trying I finally discovered that =Sum(Price*Amount*Discount) does the job on win 2000. ???? What is happening? Anybody know if there is a major difference in this thing from win98/win nt to win 2000? (I should maybe say that I'm working only with DAO 3.6) Questions: 1.I have my own four buttons on frmOrders (btnGoToFirst,btnGoToPRevious,btnGoToNext,btnGoToLast). How can I disable them: when user click GoToLast and comes to last order and I wish that btnGoToNext and btnGoToLast should be disabled, and similarly with the first record? Anybody know an article on this? 2.I have two invisible fields on the form. I=chkWritten and II=chkCreditMemo In the cmdWriteCreditMemo I want to check whether I and/or II is checked. Because the user should not be able to print a CreditMemo if either he forgot to print an invoice first, or if he already sendt both invoice and creditmemo to printer. I have been trying: if (Me.chkPrinted.Value=False) AND ...

Please come and add questions to C++ interview questions on ListenVoice
Hi, I am creating a database of C++ interview questions. I would appreciate if you can add questions on http://www.ListenVoice.com Thanks, Vijay On 5/6/2010 9:10 PM, Vijay wrote: > I am creating a database of C++ interview questions. > I would appreciate if you can add questions on http://www.ListenVoice.com There are no questions until I see the candidate simply because the questions do depend on the candidate, on what they have done in their career already, etc. Not to mention that the questions also depend very much on the level to which the candidate is applyin...

Not a DSP Question
I am trying to source level debug my embedded code thru a JTAG emulator. I am using gcc. At the moment I am generating a motorola hex file format that does not contain any debug information. What type of file I need to generate with gcc that allows me to source level debug and how do I generate this file. Thanks Carl k wrote: > I am trying to source level debug my embedded code thru a JTAG emulator. I > am using gcc. At the moment I am generating a motorola hex file format that > does not contain any debug information. What type of file I need to generate > with gcc that allo...

design question
Hello all - I'm working on a database that stores data for a survey. We are storing several different types of surveys, each of which can have any number of different question types. For instance, a survey could have a multiple choice question, a yes/no question, numerical question, or a free-form text answer. When a user logs on to fill out a survey, the data from the survey template will be copied to a set of tables which look basically the same, except that they will store the survey questions and the answers from the user. Each question type would have a different field or fields for storing the answer. For instance, a yes/no question would require a binary field to store the answer, and a single field for the question itself. However, to store a multiple choice question, I need a field for the question, a related table for an arbitrary number of pre- written answer, and then a field for which answer the user chose. I'm trying to figure out the optimal way to store the questions ( in survey template tables ) and their user-generated answers. It seems to me that I have two choices: (1) I can have one table that has field for all of the question types, and most of fields will be empty, because each row will only need one or two fields to store a question. But, it seems I run the risk of storing data in the wrong field, if I don't code this carefully. survey_templates ----------- id survey_template_questions ------------------------ id survey_id question ...

Question about the keyword synchronized, the previous question contain typing question please ignore it.
�p�̦��@��concept ���ө���, �Ʊ�U��H�S�i�H���@���U. First please have a look on the codes below: public class SyncTest { private int x; private int y; private synchronized void setX (int i){ x=i; } private synchronized void setY (int i) { y=i; } public void setXY(int i){ setX(i); setY(i); } public synchronized Boolean check() { return x !=y; } } The question is: Under which conditions will check() return when called form a different class A. Check() can never return true B...

.NET Interview Question, C#, ASP.NET Interview Questions
TOP.NET Interview Questions Read http://www.dotnetuncle.com And get the latest C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, ADO.NET, OOPs, Framework, Short-Answer Interview Questions ...

Question to DSP adepts
Hello Assume we want to implement an optimal photographic image interpolation algorithm. Using a recommended windowed sinc algorithm (e.g., Lanczos) would require evaluation of the sinc function (sin(x)/x) at variable arguments. Now I have an alternative algorithm which only requires evaluation of cosine values and multiplication, no variable division. Would this be advantageous on DSP architectures? I recall from prior DSP experiences that variable division is relatively expensive and better avoided in favor of multiplication. Can you confirm this opinion? Regards Guido Guido Vollbeding &...

All Interview Questions And Answers
All Interview Questions And Answers 10000 Interview Questions And Answers(C,C++,JAVA,DOTNET,Oracle,SAP) I have listed over 10000 interview questions asked in interview/placement test papers for all companies between year 2000-2005 in my website http://www.geocities.com/allinterviewquestion/ So please have a look and make use of it. CMMI,DOTNET,JAVA,NETWORKING, SOFTWARE TESTING,ORACLE, SQL Server Interview Questions and Answers I have listed over 600 interview questions and answers for CMMI,DOTNET,JAVA,NETWORKING, SOFTWARE TESTING,ORACLE, SQL Server in my website http://www.geocities.com/dotnet_java_cmmi/ So please have a look and make use of it. Get The Book "C Programming Language By Kernighan Ritchie" Free Join My Group http://groups.google.com/group/forsoftwareprofessionals To Receive The Book C Programming Language By Kernighan Ritchie" Free ABAP Interview questions and answers I have listed over ABAP interview questions and answers in my website http://www.geocities.com/sap_interviewquestions/ So please have a look and make use of it. SAP Interview questions and answers I have listed over sap interview questions and answers in my website http://www.geocities.com/sap_interviewquestions/ So please have a look and make use of it. SQL Interview Questions And Answers I have listed SQL interview questions and answers in my website http://www.geocities.com/sql_interviewquestions/ So please have a look and make use of it. windows Interview questions...

All Interview Questions And Answers
All Interview Questions And Answers 10000 Interview Questions And Answers(C,C++,JAVA,DOTNET,Oracle,SAP) I have listed over 10000 interview questions asked in interview/placement test papers for all companies between year 2000-2005 in my website http://www.geocities.com/allinterviewquestion/ So please have a look and make use of it. CMMI,DOTNET,JAVA,NETWORKING, SOFTWARE TESTING,ORACLE, SQL Server Interview Questions and Answers I have listed over 600 interview questions and answers for CMMI,DOTNET,JAVA,NETWORKING, SOFTWARE TESTING,ORACLE, SQL Server in my website http://www.geocities.com/do...

Interview questions and answers
Interview questions and answers We have selected a big collections of interview questions and answers in many technical areas: Java, JSP, ASP, C++,C#,.NET,ORACLE, PL/ SQL,Perl, struts, XML....more ... http://www.techinterviewquestion.blogspot.com ...

All Interview Questions And Answers
All Interview Questions And Answers 10000 Interview Questions And Answers(C,C++,JAVA,DOTNET,Oracle,SAP) I have listed over 10000 interview questions asked in interview/placement test papers for all companies between year 2000-2005 in my website http://www.geocities.com/allinterviewquestion/ So please have a look and make use of it. CMMI,DOTNET,JAVA,NETWORKING, SOFTWARE TESTING,ORACLE, SQL Server Interview Questions and Answers I have listed over 600 interview questions and answers for CMMI,DOTNET,JAVA,NETWORKING, SOFTWARE TESTING,ORACLE, SQL Server in my website http://www.geocities.com/do...

question for purchasing DSP
Hi, everybody. I am a newcomer here and not familar with DSP. I got a problem during my work. I need to do a project about anti-vibration control for a machine. For this realtime system, I want to do active vibration control for this system. I don't know which kind of DSP board i need to buy for hardware concern. I know I need floating point. Thus, TI TMS320 3x or TI TMS67x will be a good selection. I searched the TI third party items, but I have no idea what items is what i want to look for.I am confused to select. I know I need a board combined DSP,memory, A/D,D/A and I/o together. So if...

[...]

dsp question #2
Let's say I have an N sample long signal x[k] where k = 0,1,2,..............,N-1 The signal has been sampled at Fs Hz. I want to insert M extra samples y1,y2,.........,yM into that signal, process the new signal which is now M+N samples long and play it back at the same sampling rate and hear barely any audio distortion. I also want to do the opposite, where I remove M samples from the signal, process the shorter signal and play it back at the same sampling rate and hear barely any audio distortion. Is that possible? On 03/30/2011 05:38 PM, John wrote: > Let's say I have an N sample long signal x[k] where k = > 0,1,2,..............,N-1 > > The signal has been sampled at Fs Hz. > > I want to insert M extra samples y1,y2,.........,yM into that signal, > process the new signal which is now M+N samples long and play it back at > the same sampling rate and hear > barely any audio distortion. > > I also want to do the opposite, where I remove M samples from the > signal, process the shorter signal and play it back at the same sampling > rate and hear barely any audio distortion. > > Is that possible? Well, you don't define what you mean by "distortion", and one person's distortion is another person's perfectly reasonable "side effect". If you mean you want the signal to be sped up or slowed down, exactly like running a tape faster or slower, then yes -- probably, and if you c...

DSP/BIOS question
Hello, Sorry I'm new to DSP/BIOS and I have a question after reading the online Tutorial at "Using DSP/BIOS->Getting Started with DSP/BIOS->Debugging Program Behavior". The example source code is included below. Why would we need to have HWI_14 to run a function called CLK_F_isr, which in its context (so it says in the tutorial without much explanation) run the CLK object, which has a user set object to call the "dataIO" function in the C code, which then calls a I guess a special function that decrements a what they termed "mailbox" value in a user s...

Web resources about - DSP interview questions : Please Contribute questions and answers here - comp.dsp

Adobe Contribute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Adobe Contribute (formerly Macromedia Contribute ) is a web publishing and website management tool that integrates authoring, reviewing, and ...

Facebook social reader app contributes to record traffic for U.K. news site
The Guardian reached a new record of unique visitors and page impressions for Guardian.co.uk in February, and the news organization attributes ...

YouTube - Participate. Contribute. Join the Tribe!
You are using an outdated browser, which YouTube no longer supports. Since some features on YouTube may not work, you are viewing a lightweight ...

'We do not contribute to victory by fighting each other': Andrew Nikolic's email to Liberal MPs
Liberal backbencher and former army officer Andrew Nikolic sent an email to his parliamentary colleagues on Tuesday, urging for a sense of unity ...

Carbon tax contributes to emissions drop
Carbon tax contributes to emissions drop

China contributes $20m to MH370 search - The Courier-Mail Search Search
CHINA will contribute $20 million to the hunt for missing Malaysian Airlines flight 370, the government has reported on its website.

Using plus-size models in ads contributes to high obesity rates and poor lifestyle choices, study says ...
... women is linked to the obesity epidemic and unhealthy lifestyle choices. A recent study shows that using plus-size models in advertising contributes ...

Gillard tells state governments: I'll give $2 for every $1 you contribute to school funding
PRIME Minister Julia Gillard has offered state and territory governments $2 for every extra $1 they invest in education, under her plan to boost ...

Twitter users to contribute to campaigns
Twitter will allow users to make contributions to a political candidate through a tweet.

Public education contributes to community, society
... not do, Ann Babington (Letters, May 28). It is missing the point to say that 100 per cent of parents of private school-educated children contribute ...